New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default What happened to the Giant's comment compilation thread? Was there a forum wipe?

I'll be honest. I don't frequent the forum very often. But once in awhile, I liked coming here to see if Rich made any new comments. Along with the excellent commentaries in the books, I love reading his internal process for the comic. It's extraordinary the amount of consideration he puts into developing the characters, world, and story.

After a recent discussion with a friend about the art change for the sixth book, I wanted to re-read his explanation for said art change. But I don't see the thread that compiled his comments. In fact, I see most of the threads gone.

Did I miss a forum wipe? Or maybe I'm missing something in my settings?
    Author of The Armadillo Mysteries.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What happened to the Giant's comment compilation thread? Was there a forum wipe?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post
    I'll be honest. I don't frequent the forum very often. But once in awhile, I liked coming here to see if Rich made any new comments. Along with the excellent commentaries in the books, I love reading his internal process for the comic. It's extraordinary the amount of consideration he puts into developing the characters, world, and story.

After a recent discussion with a friend about the art change for the sixth book, I wanted to re-read his explanation for said art change. But I don't see the thread that compiled his comments. In fact, I see most of the threads gone.

Did I miss a forum wipe? Or maybe I'm missing something in my settings?
    It's still here. The forum doesn't openly display threads past the necromancy threshold, and Rich has withdrawn from forum general discussion, so he has said nothing quotable in some time.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: What happened to the Giant's comment compilation thread? Was there a forum wipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's still here. The forum doesn't openly display threads past the necromancy threshold, and Rich has withdrawn from forum general discussion, so he has said nothing quotable in some time.

GW
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I figured it was still around here somewhere. And yeah, I did notice he doesn't discuss things as much. After some of the less-than-savory comments he's had to deal with, I can't honestly blame him. Thanks again.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I figured it was still around here somewhere. And yeah, I did notice he doesn't discuss things as much. After some of the less-than-savory comments he's had to deal with, I can't honestly blame him. Thanks again.
    NP. FYI, while you can find the thread via the search system, I usually just find a post by Jasdoif and follow the link in their sig block.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The forum doesn't openly display threads past the necromancy threshold, and Rich has withdrawn from forum general discussion, so he has said nothing quotable in some time.
    Specifically, the last quote addition happened last year in March; which was the only new quote since the two added in July the year before that.

Perhaps the Giant will resume reading the forum once the Kickstarter rewards are caught up with. Perhaps not. Either way, it's not like I have anything better to do than keep track of it when/if quotes come up
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Specifically, the last quote addition happened last year in March; which was the only new quote since the two added in July the year before that.

Perhaps the Giant will resume reading the forum once the Kickstarter rewards are caught up with. Perhaps not. Either way, it's not like I have anything better to do than keep track of it when/if quotes come up
    Probably and hopefully not. Fans aren't worth interacting with.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    On the contrary. Interacting with fans is an excellent way to develop a strong community that will support an author, especially when an author is starting out. Rich may be beyond the point where he hits diminishing returns or even negative opportunity cost (i.e. time spent in the forums would be better spent elsewhere), but your absolute assertion that "Fans aren't worth interacting with" (emphasis mine) is most definitely false without further qualifications.

Grey Wolf

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

On the contrary. Interacting with fans is an excellent way to develop a strong community that will support an author, especially when an author is starting out. Rich may be beyond the point where he hits diminishing returns or even negative opportunity cost (i.e. time spent in the forums would be better spent elsewhere), but your absolute assertion that "Fans aren't worth interacting with" (emphasis mine) is most definitely false without further qualifications.

Grey Wolf
    Worth the cost in peace of mind and the emotional cost of having to deal with generally unpleasant people.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Worth the cost in peace of mind and the emotional cost of having to deal with generally unpleasant people.
    Yes, it is hard to create a community of fans. But it has to be done, and it is very much worth it.

GW

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Yes, it is hard to create a community of fans. But it has to be done, and it is very much worth it.

GW
    Yes, I understand very well how milking fools like us who will "buy anything you produce[. . .] drive 200 miles to see you sing[. . .] buy the hardback and paperback and audible versions of your book[. . .] purchase your next figurine sight unseen[. . .] pay for the 'best-of' DVD version of your free youtube channel[. . . or] come to your chef's table once a month" would facilitate a reasonably comfortable life. But interacting?

Heck one of the "benefits of modern retailing" called out in the article is precisely that creators "did not have direct contact with consumers." Post-modern peer-to-peer retailing, however, does away with that benefit and returns to the old ways of groveling before consumers and especially patrons.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-02-06 at 03:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I understand very well how milking fools like us who will "buy anything you produce[. . .] drive 200 miles to see you sing[. . .] buy the hardback and paperback and audible versions of your book[. . .] purchase your next figurine sight unseen[. . .] pay for the 'best-of' DVD version of your free youtube channel[. . . or] come to your chef's table once a month" would facilitate a reasonably comfortable life. But interacting?
    Interacting creates said fools. It is much easier to be a patron of a person that feels like a human being than a person that never bothers to interact with anyone with anything other than their work. And it is easier to come across as a genuine human being if you interact with your fans, no matter what headache that might be.

GW

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Interacting creates said fools. It is much easier to be a patron of a person that feels like a human being than a person that never bothers to interact with anyone with anything other than their work. And it is easier to come across as a genuine human being if you interact with your fans, no matter what headache that might be.

GW
    Managing to restrain yourself from giving your fans the verbal drubbing they deserve for being fannish is hardly "genuine" behavior. And the work can speak for itself.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Managing to restrain yourself from giving your fans the verbal drubbing they deserve for being fannish is hardly "genuine" behavior. And the work can speak for itself.
    Yo u believe every fan deserves a drubbing?

Well, that tells me everything I need to know about you. Good bye.

GW

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

confused Re: What happened to the Giant's comment compilation thread? Was there a forum wipe?

What a profoundly negative comment. Wow. Someone needs a hug.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not nearly as famous as The Giant, but speaking as a published game designer I must say that fans are really great.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm not nearly as famous as The Giant, but speaking as a published game designer I must say that fans are really great.
    I know, Right? At least I hope so, or I’m out a hobby.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It's true however that many fandoms are cesspools.
    ungelic is us

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Speaking as a professional comedian, I can say that fans are everything from a delight to a dread.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    It's true however that many fandoms are cesspools.
    You troll the bottoms of just about anything, and you end up pulling out a lot of the crap that hasn't been properly cleaned away. Fandoms are not unique in this regard.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

That's kind of the double-edged sword of being a creator. Any audience you build will inevitably have *******s or entitled fans who think they know better than you on how to write, draw, or run the business.
    Blog
    Twitter

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess that, as the size of a fandom increases, the probability that the jerkass fans will drown everybody else out approaches 0.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2018-02-07 at 12:43 PM.
    ungelic is us

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I guess that, as the size of a fandom increases, the probability that the jerkass fans will drown everybody else out approaches 0.
    Shouldn't that be 1?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #23

Depends on who screams louder.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Shouldn't that be 1?
    Well sure, if you want it to be, like, correct.
    ungelic is us

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't that be 1?
    Clearly not, as numerous really huge fan communities demonstrate.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Those same really huge fandoms that are hotbeds of harassment, bullying, assault, and sundry abuse?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Those same really huge fandoms that are hotbeds of harassment, bullying, assault, and sundry abuse?
    No, the ones that are not.

GW

28. - Top - End - #28

Well sure, if you want it to be, like, correct.
    Fine, fine. As the size of a fandom increases, the probability that the jerkass fans will drown everybody else out approaches some number between 0 and 1. Happy?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

It's totally a 1 though, you were right. Those utopian fandoms are probably just not large enough, I says.
    (Also, not willing to enter a multi-page debate about this!)
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #30

It's totally a 1 though, you were right. Those utopian fandoms are probably just not large enough, I says.
    (Also, not willing to enter a multi-page debate about this!)
    I was responding to your (excellent) joke with my own (not as good) joke.