New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Figuring out a feat for a Gunslinger/Rogue

I'm working on a Shifter gunslinger/rogue (using Mercer's gunslinger) for a Tal Dorei campaign. We are starting at lvl 5, and I'm going to be taking a full 5 levels of gunslinger before grabbing 4 levels of assassination rogue (then 7 levels of gunslinger and finishing with the rest rogue).

I have one feat/Ability Score Improvement to spend, and am still unsure about the kind of shifter I am going with. My DM has already ruled for me that the tinkering check to clear a jam will be dex based tinkering and new inventions/enhancements will be intelligence based tinkering.

My stats (before racial modifiers) are:
    S: 12
    D: 18
    C: 11
    I: 14
    W: 15
    C: 11

Shifter gives me +1 Dex. I am debating on subrace and also my ASI/Feat.

One build I was looking at had me going Wildhunt shifter (+1 Wis, while shifting adv on Wisdom saves and checks) with the Athlete feat (+1 dex, standing from prone costs 5ft of move, Climb Speed not halved, Jumps only take 5ft of movement) to get 20 Dex and 16 Wis for 3 grit. I'm not happy with the feat choice, but feel like none of the +Wis feats are really worthwhile, and the climbing stuff would be useful in getting to a good shooting position or escaping if I needed to.

Another build I was considering was leaving 15 Wis, and going Cliffwalk shifter to get climb speed while shifting. Downside is I wouldn't really benefit from the additional hp while shifting if I am using it to set up. I'd also lose a grit point.

One thing I was considering was getting the Magic Initiate feat and selecting Wizard, and getting Find Familiar as my spell. I could then have an Owl familiar who could go before me and use the Aid action to give me advantage on attacks against a target. Even if it worked only once a day, it'd replace a grit point used for advantage. Once I went rogue it also would be helpful for sneak attack. If the owl gets killed, that's an attack that wasn't hitting a friend. I'm sure I could find something useful to use the two wizard cantrips I'd get too. The Owl would be useful for other things too (scouting comes to mind).

Am I overlooking a really obvious feat that would be good for gunslinger/rogue? I'd love to have 16 wis, but it's looking like a pretty poor build to go that way.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Figuring out a feat for a Gunslinger/Rogue

Is there a reason you don't want the sharpshooter feat? I don't know if your DM would let it count for your gunslinger, but the crossbow expert is typically really good for a ranged build.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Resilient (WIS) is really good too for fighter. It help you resist spells/conditions that would put you out of a fight before it even start.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mormon_soldier View Post
    Is there a reason you don't want the sharpshooter feat? I don't know if your DM would let it count for your gunslinger, but the crossbow expert is typically really good for a ranged build.
    I should have listed it, but it slipped my mind. It is definitely going to be a second feat choice if I don't take it first, but was somewhat stuck on a +1 ability score buff before I started thinking about Magic Initiate
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master