New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Numenera - what to buy?

So I started Torment: Tides of Numenera recently and immediately fell in love with the setting. I’d like to try out the tabletop game, but after a bit of research I found out there are not one, but two new corebooks coming out in a couple of months. So, to those of you who keep up with this game, do you know how exactly these books improve over the original corebook? Would it be worth waiting (and probably paying more) for the new ones, or should I just get the original now?
    Last edited by rooster707; 2018-02-07 at 03:05 PM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Numenera - what to buy?

Sorry if this seems obvious, but what do you mean by 'two new core books' coming out? Is there a new edition coming out for the Num core book? My google fu may be failing me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

From what I understand you will be able to use either set at the table but a few things will change in the new set...Haven't seen the new rules so can't really gauge. The group I play with is playing Numenera though, in fact right now even. I have a resilient glaive who masters weapons and a stealthy jack who exists out of phase.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show
    Lea - Gangs of Freeport(Pathfinder)

Spoiler: Previous Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

My understanding is that the rules are not changing, just having a few more options added in and massively expanding the GM section (into it's own book), including rules for things like community building (by the players). If you're not urgently wanting to play I'd either wait for the new books or see if the old one comes up on ebay/sale.

Didn't follow the kickstarter as I haven't even played my 'old' copy of Numenera yet, but my understanding is that the Character Options books may be rendered at least partially obsolete by the new version.