New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Evangelion: Project Ragnarok IC

Yuki is just shuffling paperwork when Evan bursts in. He drops his clipboard and comes running, other doctors and orderlies coming together like rivers into the sea of Linne's room. Yuki immediately takes command: this is his battlefield.

"Takahashi, vitals! Aoki, charts! Braun, get Badr to his room! Sanada, get Badr's sister to him! Leven, is the machine working? . . ."

Aidah sits at Fahd's side, stroking his arm soothingly.
    "It'll be okay, brother. The doctor said they're still alive, just sleeping. The LCL keeps them alive, carries oxygen to their bodies and brains. You found them in time. You got help. It'll be okay..."

2. - Top - End - #512

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Yume x Nakao convo wrap up
    Show
    Yume grins broadly. "Are you always this red in the face? With Miyako, I mean." She offers a mock gasp and adds, "Is it an all-over blush? That's just adorable. Well, I got you to stop crying, and that's pretty precious right there."

She backs off, but just enough to grab her notebook and pen, then crawls back into bed with them.

"Come on, you. Let's get this out of the way." She winks, letting Nakao's mind finish that sentence as it sees fit.

Nakao stammers as she tries to persuade (herself as much as) Yume to hold off. “W-well, uh, see, Freyja was kind of like a sister to me, Akie raised us both before Dad left, so I don’t want to leave her out of the speech... S-so should I...?” She goes to reach for her phone.

Yume touches the hand that reaches away, but doesn't exert any force. "Nakao, I think it would be great to include Freyja. Honestly, I'm hoping she speaks, because that would be amazing. If you think you'd be better able to write your thoughts with her around, that's fine too, but would you like to try for just what you think first? I know I maybe kinda poisoned the well a little, but I couldn't just watch you cry on the floor like that."

Nakao pauses. Then nods. “I... Okay. You’re right. I should... probably try to articulate on my own. Truth be told, if I let Freyja help, she’ll probably end up writing the whole thing.”

Yume chuckles, "Ah, what a speech that would be. All 'Odin' this, and epic mythos that." She offers Nakao the pen and notebook. "Would you rather write or talk while I write?"

“I think I just need to talk. I’ll probably ramble aimlessly, but that’s kind of the point in this stage, right?”

"That's perfect, Nakao. You talk, I'll write. We'll move stuff around and cross it out and reword it after?"

Yume scribbles furiously while Nakao talks, and with a little bit of pausing to get their emotions under control, and a lot of editing, they have something resembling a speech.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #513
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having followed Evan and gotten caught up in the medical drama, Hana helps as best she can given her lack of medical experience, which ends up not being that much. She also learns a little more about what's going on, but a lot of key information is still missing.

After a little while, Hana sees Fahd and another girl, who she assumes is the sister she's heard about, and walks over, sitting down on the other side of Fahd. For a few moments, she doesn't say anything, just thinking, before giving it a go. "Hey Fahd, and nice to meet you, Fahd's sister - I'm sorry, nobody has told me your name. Anyway, Fahd...were either of them special to you? I'm sorry that I have to ask, but I've missed a lot in my time away and I...I want to understand how you're feeling so I can help. Since I've gotten back, I've noticed you've been hurting, even before this. Can you let me in a little?"
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2018-03-22 at 03:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd has cleaned himself up a little. The effect is minimal, his eyes still puffy and red, his shirt still stained with LCL. He sits with his arms wrapped around himself, and perks up at Aidah's words.
    "I really thought she was gone. I don't know what I would have done. " His voice is hoarse. "I'm sorry sister. They must have scared you, told you to come running like that."
    He looks towards Hana, and distrust flashes across his eyes for a moment, quickly replaced by...resignation?

She'll use them against you, don't- I can't keep thinking like this

"I owe you both an explanation." He sniffs and settles back a little in his chair, shifting his hands to interlace fingers, alternating his gaze between the two.
    "I met Linne a couple days ago. She and Sadie are the only survivors of Valhalla US. Sadie asked Evan for an update on how Linne was doing in Japan, so I went to meet her to oblige. His voice wavers, and he looks down at his hands. "She was so kind. The only pilot who wanted to know me, who seemed happy when I was around. I-" His voice cracks and he swallows hard, turning away from Hana a bit. "I don't want to be hated and ignored anymore."
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2018-03-22 at 11:58 PM.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

5. - Top - End - #515

Nakao bounds over to open the door for Freyja. She’s not really sure why her body is so full of enthusiasm and energy, but it is, so she’s using it.

”Hey, sis! I just got done writing down a mess of my own thoughts so I have something to work off of when we start working on our speech together. Come on in and-“ She finally notices the dolls Freyja is holding and goes quiet before tenderly reaching out to one of them. She holds it gently like a priceless artifact and looks at it with tears forming in her eyes, but these are clearly much happier tears than any of the others she’s shed in a long while. “You found these... How...?” She closes her eyes while hugging the doll warmly to her chest.

6. - Top - End - #516

GreenSorcererElf

Yume cautiously approaches the doorway, hovering a bit behind Nakao. She doesn't get the significance of the dolls, save for the fact that they're obviously significant to both Nakao and Freyja. After quietly glancing between them for a moment, she finally speaks up.

"Freyja... I'm glad you're here. I wanted to tell you that I really appreciate you being there for me, and..." scratches her head, lowering her gaze, "And I wish I had listened to you sooner. I've been way too stubborn. It's hard for me to ask for help, but if I had just listened to you sooner, I'd be a lot better off now. 'You are Sigyn. You cannot hold the bowl forever. Sometimes, you have to rest. The difference between the myth and reality, though, is that you have us to catch the poison for you while you do.' I memorized that. That meant a lot to me. It means a lot to me. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you were wasting your time. And I know I'm really clingy, and I feel like you don't really like that, so I kind of kept my distance because I didn't want to offend you. We're... we're okay, right?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hana doesn't say anything at first, just leaning over and giving Fahd a hug, even if Fahd position means she's mostly hugging him from behind. After a few more moments, she speaks. "I don't have you, Fahd. I never have. I've been angry or annoyed with you before, but I've always loved you, just like the others." She smiles. "Linne sounds nice, you'll have to introduce me to her when she recovers."

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

"Brynhildr and Idunn found them, at the ranch." Freyja lets Nakao take whichever one she reaches for. She's about to say more, but then Yume comes up. Freyja waits for her to finish. She considers a reply, but decides against doing so verbally, instead stepping up and pulling Yume into a hug, careful to not squeeze the dolls.

"Sigyn... I am sorry, for giving you that impression. You are always free to come to me when you want to. I'm not sure I could give you any more mottos, though..." She appears to be crying, though like Nakao, they're clearly happy tears. "I'm--" a sniffle "--I'm sorry, it's just... It's rare for someone to take the myths I tell seriously."

She might not be letting Yume out of that hug for a while.

9. - Top - End - #519

GreenSorcererElf

Yume chuckles, returning the hug. "Well, I'm glad I wasn't quite on the mark. I'm not really a religious person. I've tried talking to God and gotten no response. But if I was going to be religious? Yeah, the myths you talk about would probably be... no, they'd definitely be my religion. At least you have something to show for it, you know? Maybe it's all just meaningless in the end, but... but I'm rambling again. Thank you." She pauses for a bit, and finally asks what she's been wondering about since the door opened. "So... what's with the dolls?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520

Griffon

Spoiler: Fahd, Hana, and Aidah
    Show
    Fahd is silent, not rejecting the hug this time around. "I don't think so Hana. It's clear command thinks of me as a danger to the rest of you."

"What? They put you through... through... this, and have the nerve to call you the danger?!"

Hana looks confused, although Fahd can't really see her face given her position. "What are you on about? I haven't heard anything of the sort, and I don't see how they could figure that."

"Why do you think they sent me back to Japan? The rest of you want to avoid me, and I've done nothing but argue with you all. And Aidah. It's the fate of a pilot. They're afraid of all the pilots. They can't control us as much as they want."

"If they thought you were a threat, they wouldn't have put you in a position to influence their new people. They thought you'd give a good impression, and the other assignments didn't need a third person. I mean, I needed alone time with Miyako, the Ascension was a two pilot project and you didn't have the reaction they were looking for with...whatever was actually up in Siberia. As for the others...opinions of people can change."

"I want to be able to talk to the rest, joke with them, just live with them. But they don't care for me Hana. They're offput by me. Valhalla and the rest of you. Linne listens. Linne cares. The rest of you don't even talk to me."

Aidah closes her eyes, forcing down her indignation. "If they won't respect sacrifice, then... power? Show them the true potential of a pilot and Einherjar?"

Hana looks a little hurt. "Hey, when have I been like that? Sure, I lashed out after....after the dance, but in all the times when I'm not a mess, I've talked with and cared about you."
    She looks over at Aidah. "You misunderstand. None of this is about our piloting, that's pretty great. The issues come when we're just people. Despite my efforts."
    She thinks. "Besides, if you ask me I think command would want more people like you, Fahd. You're a good guy, even if you sometimes come across as harsh and abrasive to the others."

"I think it's the only reason I'm still here Aidah. They don't want to lose a pilot who's capable.
    Hana. Have you met new command? Sybil is not interested in us. She's going to try to leash us all in."

"Sybil? Met her once, after the space battle. Couldn't quite figure out what she wanted from me. And I've seen her a few times before that, back in Nibelung."

Aidah scoffs. "I had to speak with her once. She's an upjumped bookkeeper who doesn't know her place."

"Thank you for being kind. But the others won't see me. Sybil is new command. I- I'll explain more later. When we meet the rest again."
    Fahd nods silently in agreement with Aidah

"That can change. Nothing is set in stone, Fahd, people and opinions can change with the right actions and touch. And hey, I'm not just being kind. I haven't lied to you before, and I'm not starting now. What I say is what I think. Well what I say to you, here, anyway."

"You think they'll speak to me? I avoided Yume's 'apology' earlier today. I don't want to try to care. It'll just lead to the same as every time. Me on the outside. Hollow words - no offense- saying I'm something more than a pilot."

"Nobody actively wants to hate you, not really. What has happened might have made them dislike you, but I'm sure they'll be willing to listen. If you treat them like equals and friends, and listen in turn."
    She raises an eyebrow. "I don't quite follow your point at the end there. Of course you'll have to try. Everything social starts with trying and then over time and familiarity you have to try less until it's just how things are. You just don't have to lie to yourself and others to try."

He smiles at Aidah. "Besides, I can't be kicked out now. I need to find the rest of my family. I'll try if they let me. I honestly think most of them are fine people. They care about something besides themselves."

Aidah looks surprised at the 'family' comment, then smiles back and nods.
    "That sounds more like the brother I know. We'll make them understand."

Hana also smiles. "There we go, that's more like it. Remember, you have to also listen and understand. Most of them had their issues and traumas, and that's had an effect and even past that there's more to all of them than you see at first glance."

Fahd nods. "I'll try. But -Yume is messed up. She thinks I care that she said I'm not worthy to be a pilot. I want her to see why what she did was wrong."

Hana sighs. "Yeah, Yume's going to be a challenge, but I'm starting to understand why she's like that. Nothing is insurmountable."

Aidah's face immediately darkens at the mention of Yume's name. She bites her tongue.

Fahd puts a hand on Aidahs shoulder, looking crestfallen. "The couple she killed. They were Aidahs parents. Yume needs to meet her."

Hana pauses. "Oh. That, I didn't know."

"I don't need to hear the justifications and platitudes of a murderer."

"It sounds like a good idea, but probably not the best thing to start with."
    Hana looks over at Aidah, thinking. This really was an issue, but she needed time to think and figure out how to handle it so it was a good thing rather than bad.

Fahd frowns. "I can't give up my convictions. I can talk to the rest without issue. Yume I have problem with. I've ignored it for a while now. She doesn't remotely understand."

Hana nods. "I get it, I'm just still figuring out how to deal with it. And I'm not asking you to give up what makes you you. I'll never do that."

Fahd smiles, a wane thing. "Thank you Hana. But, if you don't mind. I need to talk to Aidah, then go see Linne."

Aidah takes a short, deep breath and sighs, putting on a false cheer. "Well! Now that we're feeling better, shall we go get lunch to celebrate Ms. Linne's good fortune?"

"I promise to try. It's up to the rest to see that I only meant them the best - even if it was harsh."

Hana nods, giving Fahd a little squeeze in her hug, before detaching herself and giving him a kiss on the cheek and getting up. "Well then, I guess I'll make myself scarce now. I'm always around if you want me, Fahd." She then walks off, feeling pretty pleased with how things went.

That evening, all seven pilots are called back to the infirmary for a meeting with Yuki. (His personal office doesn't have the space, and the infirmary is empty anyway.)
    His mood is somber, but resolute - whatever rest he got seems to have done him a world of good.

"Everyone: I'll cut right to the chase. Recently we have been hosting two pilots from Valhalla North America, Linne Nightingale and Sadie Kannagi. As some of you already know, earlier this afternoon they were both caught up in a tragic double-suicide attempt. Luckily, they were both immersed in LCL, which drastically slows down the speed of brain-death: we have two or three days in which to save them. We also have the means: an experimental method that can not only fix their wounds, but save Ms. Nightingale from her terminal decohesion."

He pauses for a sighing breath, surveying the group.

"Yume, Evan, you'll want to hear this least of all. Know that I've considered all possible alternatives, and I don't make this proposition lightly. I've read the Ascension documentation and test reports thoroughly."

He gives Yume a long look in particular. Half apology, half challenge.

"Do you remember the third Ascension test, where you passed its AT field through canisters containing 'sensory equipment'? That 'equipment' was living humans and synthetic replicas of them. In all three cases, you successfully forced their souls out of their own body and into the replicas. They experienced minor disorientation and memory loss, but are otherwise fully functional human beings."

He pulls a whiteboard over and draws a simple diagram of the AT field acting like a wedge, pushing a soul out of body A over a dotted line into body B.

"NORN has confirmed that we can successfully replicate the Kleine Method by temporarily removing the safety limiters on the Hildisvini. Both the V-NA's pilots' injuries and terminal decohesion are purely physical problems that can be averted entirely by replacing their bodies, replicas of which are already being prepared. That said, the attempt isn't without risk to the pilots attempting to synchronize: much like with the Ascension, there is a smaller but still significant chance of psychic crossover. None of you will be ordered to perform the procedure. However, my number one priority is saving as many pilots as possible; if no two of Valhalla Japan's pilots can willingly volunteer, Nightingale and Kannagi will be returned to Houston for the Ascension's new pilots to treat. Given the... respective disagreements between our branches, it's hard to say what might happen from there."

Yuki pauses to let that sink in.

"Discuss it among yourselves if you wish. However, I will need to ask for your decision before you leave this room; we have only a short window before those pilots are lost to us entirely."

He then sits back in his chair, finished. He'll be able to answer questions and concerns, but otherwise just needs to know who, if any, will synchronize with the Hildisvini after the funeral tomorrow. If more than two pilots are fully willing and eager, he'll prioritize the two highest Sync Ratios, short of a compelling personal argument.

11. - Top - End - #521

Nakao raises a hand. ”The first choice needs no discussion. I’ll do it, if anyone here is willing to join me.”

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd raises his hand almost simultaneously.
    Please let me have this chance. I want to prove myself, for you all and for Linne. "

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Freyja looks to the dolls again once Yume asks about them. "Ah... We played with these often when we were younger. Me, Nakao...and Mom." She almost sounded like she was going to add something to that. "We hadn't seen them in a long while, but Brynhildr and Idunn discovered them at the cabin they were sent to...where we used to play."

Freyja takes a moment to consider what Yuki is suggesting while the other two volunteer, before raising her own hand. "As the most experienced pilot here when it comes to the AT Field, I would like to participate in this operation."

Nakao...you want to help the other pilots, right? Then let me help you.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd looks between the two. He then focuses on Nakao with an awkward pleading gaze. "Nakao. I-you - you know what it means to really ... Uh. If it was Miyako out there, you would want to do this. Can you give me the chance?"

15. - Top - End - #525

Nakao looks at Freyja. ”It wouldn’t be smart for us to do it together. We don’t know if there will be any leftover effects from our prior dual-synchronization. I don’t want to think about what happens if we soul-Synch again while inside an Ein.” Then she smiles softly. “And think of it this way, if this gets screwed up with you in there, Hildisvini will lose its pilot, and it’s our strongest Ein, not to mention Miyako won’t have a partner anymore so it’ll be more like losing three pilots than two. Fahd and I are probably the most sensible pair.”

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd closes an eye and grinds the heel of his hand into it. The headache was back with a vengeance.

You shouldn't have listened to Hana.
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2018-03-23 at 10:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

"But--"

Freyja stops herself. Something was gnawing at her. She wanted to do this...why? Sure, it would help save the lives of two pilots, but she didn't really know them. And sure, she was technically the most qualified with the AT Field, but if what the doctor said is true, Evan and Yume were able to straight-up succeed with this, so maybe the skill level wasn't so high as to require her.

A memory echoed in her head, showing her why.

"...Mom told me to wield it. That was...the last thing she said to us. Please, let me do this...for her. If you're worried about the two of us together, then... let me be the big sister, this time?"

She walks over, pulling Nakao into a hug with a soft smile. "Besides. You'll have to try a lot harder than that to shake off the goddess of battle. I don't plan on screwing up. Everything will go as planned and everyone will come back no worse for wear. I promise you that."

18. - Top - End - #528

Nakao doesn’t turn away the hug but continues to argue. ”No way! You’re... You’re too important to risk!”

I’m expendable.

“Regardless of everything else... What I just said about you and Miyako still stands. Risking the effective deployability of three pilots to try and save two doesn’t make sense.”

Then she detaches the hug and pushes back a bit.

“You... You shouldn’t feel like- I mean, you don’t have to protect me. We’re not little kids anymore and I’m not incompetent. I can do it.”

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd clears his throat. His voice has taken an edge. Pain, or aggressiveness? "Nakao. Freyja. One of you - please- let me do this. I - please."

20. - Top - End - #530

Griffon

Yuki raises a hand to interrupt, voice stern but not unkind.

"I appreciate your eagerness, you three, but I will be making the final decision based on NORN projections and what is best for the two pilots we're trying to save. Badr, I understand your personal feelings, and will take them into due consideration. Kitazora, Freyja, you two have the most experience manipulating your Eins' AT fields, but given... recent events, I need to first consult NORN on whether accepting either or both of your suits is optimal. Is there anyone else who wants to be considered?"
    Last edited by Elfbird; 2018-03-23 at 11:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531

Miyako doesn't volunteer, but she looks to Nakao and Freyja. "Both of you... I can't risk losing you both again. If you really can't decide, then let Yuki do it, or flip a coin, or something... please? Besides... I'm not sure what happened between Linne and Fahd, but I think he needs this."
    Last edited by Syless; 2018-03-23 at 11:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't want anything bad to happen to Nakao.
    ...but she doesn't want anything bad to happen to me.

I can almost certainly do this without issue.
    ...but so can she.

I want to do this to get closer to fulfilling Mom's wish.
    ...but she wants to do this because helping others is the only thing keeping her going.

Why can't things be simple?

Looking at Freyja's face, it's clear she wants to object in some way. But then her face changes, drowning out that potential objection. She cycles through these feelings multiple times.

"I just... you're the only family I have left. And while part of me knows you won't have an issue, part of me is...scared that something will happen to you. I'll withdraw if you truly believe I'll be in danger, but...forgive me for being selfish, but would you stay with me if I do?"

She spares a glance to Fahd, feeling bad for basically asking to leave him as the only person to volunteer so far, but family was more important to her right now.

23. - Top - End - #533

GreenSorcererElf

Yume listens quietly as the director speaks, only speaking up once there are volunteers.

****ing Americans.

"This is what V-NA does. They torture you until you break, and you feel like the only thing you can do to make the pain stop is to take your own life. They did it to me, they did it to their own, and I consider it nothing short of a miracle that they didn't manage to do it to Evan."

This won't go unanswered. Not by either side. This can only end in war.

"I don't want anyone going in blind, so I'm going to tell you everything I can. Your partner is going to learn things about you that you didn't even want to think about. You're going to see some things that will make you feel like you can never smile again. You're going to feel like you're on your hands and knees crying and begging the person kicking you in the stomach repeatedly to stop. As much as I complained about getting shot? I take it all back. I don't wish this on anyone. And I think you're all very brave for even considering it. Just... please don't be alone after you get out. Your pride isn't worth it. I'll stand by any of you through this."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd shoots Miyako a grateful glace.
    Freyja and Nakao - siblings? There's pause at the thought. If Aidah was a pilot... Before he has chance to really consider it, Yume speaks up. Fahd seizes the opportunity. If there's even a chance she'll feel what he did in that moment...

"Yume. I want you to go with me. Our synch experience is about the same. And we won't have to force Freyja or Nakao to choose."

Did they torture Linne? Will I learn what made Yume so ****ed up?
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2018-03-24 at 01:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #535

GreenSorcererElf

Yume's eyes go wide, and the color drains from her face.

"That's not... that's not what I meant... I mean after..." Yume starts backing away slowly, "I meant you can talk to me after."

She swallows hard, pawing behind her for the blade, which nearly slips out of her sweaty palm when her back hits the wall. She relinquishes the knife instead of drawing it, and runs her fingers through her hair as she slides into a fetal position.

"You can't possibly hate me that much. Not even you. N-No... I didn't mean that, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Freyja, help. I can't... please..."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #536

Nakao pats Freyja on the shoulder. ”Well, that answers that. You’ve got her to take care of. Let me do this.”

27. - Top - End - #537

Griffon

Yuki stands up to take control. He sighs with mild exasperation.

"I'll say it again: I will choose from only the pool of volunteers, with NORN's assistance. I know you all have your own stakes in this, and I respect that; forcing your fellow pilots into this is not an acceptable way to advance those stakes. If you're willing to risk yourself for the sake of Nightingale and Kannagi, I'll consider you for the potential pool; that's all."

He goes to Yume and crouches to lightly put and arm around her, such that she could easily push back or move away if it made her uncomfortable. He speaks softly to her.
    "Yume, it's okay. You're safe. Nobody is making you go through that again; not in the Ascension, not in the Hildisvini. It was just a misunderstanding; it was my fault for not being clearer. You're okay; understand? Do you want to leave? Or go with a female nurse?"

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Fahd seems taken aback by Yume's severe reaction to his offer. Is now the time? He looks at her, curled up in the corner. No. It would be taking advantage.
    And what's this about a female nurse? Just how bad was this?
    "I'm sorry for being pushy Yume. It's your choice."
    A part of him screams at the words. He ignores it.

29. - Top - End - #539

Planetar

Up until now, Evan has remained quiet so far. Even when hearing Yuki’s words, he didn’t say anything in response.

Fahd’s pleading to synch up with Yume was probably the thing that tipped him over.

This was all your fault. Couldn’t you at least try to make things right?

”I volunteer as well. As one of the pilots that has synched up with the Ascension, I have prior experience doing this. Even with my relatively low synch ratio, it’s still something to be considered.“

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Freyja reaches out a hand to comfort Yume, until Yuki steps in. She lets him comfort Yume for now, turning to Nakao.

"I suppose we've both decided, then... If you're chosen, I'll support you, okay? And if I'm chosen, I promise, I'll abort if anything goes wrong."