New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Would be willing to be forever young?

I'd love to be young until i die, but i don't want to live forever. Perhaps 500 years to explore the universe and to live adventures with my loved ones by my side. But eventually i will want to take the last step to know what is waiting for us on the other side :)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    We are discussing premature maturity... Hun that kind of sounds funny. And that includes abuse. You said yourself that you know more mature youth because they could conceivably die or get their loved ones killed if they didn’t so same principle.
    Not quite. Because while a 12 year old can't do anything to stop CPS from taking their siblings away, and a 10 year old can't do anything to stop his father from hitting him. A 20 year old soldier can correct their behavioral patterns to make them more likely to survive. It's not as inherently a dysfunctional situation, hence the reason why it's not necessarily damaging.

And you'll note I also included.

Well, it sure isn't a walk in the park, don't you agree?
    It isn't easy, no. But a 20 year old person's ability to handle mental stress and psychological discomfort is much more developed than a 12 year old or a 11 year old's would be.

It seem that it mostly does, prove it otherwise, if you want to go on that path.
    There are dozens of employed, happy combat veterans who are if they are suffering from mental anguish are still able to live a fulfilling life. Hell, I am an employed, happy combat vet, with a family, who is living a very solid life. Ergo, your argument from ignorance is largely bull****.

Never said that dunno why you mention it.
    You implied that there were no positive experiences to be had as a result of things you believe to be negative. And my own experience very strongly contradicts that. My negative experiences have been as important to forming me as a person, as the positive

Again never said that
    Nope, but you did strongly imply it. Your arguing that the experience is exclusively negative. That's a pretty strong statement to that effect.

I... Is that what you think college is for? What is your frame of reference? American pie? Hahahaha And here you are accusing me of having a biased view on the military. HA! I can't even.
    That is because UNLIKE YOU in this particular debate, I've done both things. I've known college kids and I've been to college myself. And college kids have by and large few real responsibilities. They can't get fired. And the worst thing that happens to them generally is that they have to repeat classes and it takes them longer to leave college. I'm sorry but as somebody who pretty clearly doesn't have experience outside of college, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how the world outside is, and I can tell you... it's significantly more difficult than college and the stakes are worse.

I'm sorry but getting kicked out of your house because you didn't make a mortgage payment and now you and your kids are on the street is a lot higher stakes than failing a test.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not quite. Because while a 12 year old can't do anything to stop CPS from taking their siblings away, and a 10 year old can't do anything to stop his father from hitting him. A 20 year old soldier can correct their behavioral patterns to make them more likely to survive. It's not as inherently a dysfunctional situation, hence the reason why it's not necessarily damaging.
    You literally said "I've also known people who were working with families, who had to learn because they would be out on the streets if they didn't." What is this "I never talked about kids" about?

Also the people I knew who had matured faster because they had jobs and family, are typically not suffering from any immediately apparent "deep psychological issues"
    Yes because all forms of deep can be easily perceived by a layman.

It isn't easy, no. But a 20 year old person's ability to handle mental stress and psychological discomfort is much more developed than a 12 year old or a 11 year old's would be.
    Say that to the innumerous and recurring cases of PTSD.

There are dozens of employed, happy combat veterans who are if they are suffering from mental anguish are still able to live a fulfilling life. Hell, I am an employed, happy combat vet, with a family, who is living a very solid life. Ergo, your argument from ignorance is largely bull****.
    How can you tell? there is so much assumptions going on that this conversation is pointless and we should just stop here, heck I should stop here I just won't cause I have no self-control and I got to have the last word.

You implied that there were no positive experiences to be had as a result of things you believe to be negative. And my own experience very strongly contradicts that. My negative experiences have been as important to forming me as a person, as the positive.
    I implied nothing, I'm only responsible for what I say write not how you interpret it. And who the hell would think that negative experiences don't help improving character and building your personality? That's like... Common sense.

Nope, but you did strongly imply it. Your arguing that the experience is exclusively negative. That's a pretty strong statement to that effect.
    Again I didn't. Unless I directly sated all other things are from your head.

That is because UNLIKE YOU in this particular debate, I've done both things. I've known college kids and I've been to college myself. And college kids have by and large few real responsibilities. They can't get fired. And the worst thing that happens to them generally is that they have to repeat classes and it takes them longer to leave college. I'm sorry but as somebody who pretty clearly doesn't have experience outside of college, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how the world outside is, and I can tell you... it's significantly more difficult than college and the stakes are worse.
    What's up with the d*** measurement contest? We are in the internet there is no way to know who has what. Besides you don’t know anything about me so don’t assume.

I'm sorry but getting kicked out of your house because you didn't make a mortgage payment and now you and your kids are on the street is a lot higher stakes than failing a test.
    Ha! Your simplistic world views don't surprise me at all, at least try to hide your hatred for academics geez.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 08:03 PM.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I’m also intrigued with the concept of maturity being a consequence of aging or just experience; can someone with a young mind and set of hormones really achieve the experience and wisdom of an old sage? Or does the experience of getting old itself makes one wiser? What you guys think?
    Well, 'the wise old sage' is a character archetype, not an actual person so probably isn't great for comparisons. Which is a bit of an issue with these kind of generalities and stereotypes, which this speculation is largely going to devolve into unless everyone's got a list of long-term studies handy. The fact that what constitutes 'wisdom' is a bit fuzzy itself probably doesn't help much either

If I had to speculate though I would say that I would expect that, of the two, experience is probably doing the heavy-lifting. For instance, the physiological effects of aging are generally fairly gradual (the possibly exception here being the menopause, although even then that can still take years), while it's not all that uncommon for people to go through fairly major shifts in their outlook and perspective over quite short periods of time, weeks of months. The opposite end of the spectrum, people who remain largely the same for decades, would also seem to be a go against the aging argument.

This is of course not getting into the question of where exactly you can draw the line between the two. The psychological impacts of experiencing your body deteriorate probably aren't negligible. Then there's the matter of living up to one's own stereotype of 'being old', the pressure to 'act your age', as it were, shaping behaviour.

There's also the point to consider that the physical effects of aging can often be detrimental to cognitive faculties. Even if there are 'wise elders' who are only that way because they physically aged, you'd need to weigh that against all the people who are worse off in terms of their mental abilities as a result of old age.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

You literally said "I've also known people who were working with families, who had to learn because they would be out on the streets if they didn't." What is this "I never talked about kids" about?
    I'm not sure what that's about because it literally has nothing to do with anything I've said. What I'm saying is that people who are working have a lot more stress than people who are in school, because the negative things that will happen if you screw up are drastically worse.

Yes because all forms of deep can be easily perceived by a layman.
    So find me a Psychologist who backs your idea that every single person who has had to mature has suffered severe psychological trauma as a result? Or maybe retract your statement to "some of" which would require proof. You are the person who is claiming that people who have to mature more quickly than others have deep psychological issues. I'm only pointing out that claim is a tad ridiculous.

Say that to the innumerous and recurring cases of PTSD.
    That would be "some" your argument was for "all" so you've still failed in that case. I doubt you'd even get near "most" with the numbers I've seen.

How can you tell? there is so much assumptions going on that this conversation is pointless and we should just stop here, heck I should stop here I just won't cause I have no self-control and I got to have the last word.
    Well since your case was for all, then I'm alright with only me. But I've talked to plenty of folks who were pretty open about their problems, and many of them did not have the sot of problems you're implying here.

What's up with the d*** measurement contest? We are in the internet there is no way to know who has what. Besides you don’t know anything about me so don’t assume.
    Well if you had combat experience you would definitely have said so, and you didn't ergo you don't. If you had work experience outside of college you also would have said so, since it would have strengthened your argument. Ergo either you are arguing in bad faith, or you don't have those sets of experiences.

Ha! Your simplistic world views don't surprise me at all, at least try to hide your hatred for academics geez. “All college kids are bad, they have it sooo easy bla bla bla It’s so unfair I don’t get the respect I deserve for training to invade other countries and kill their people in their own land”
    I don't hate academics. I just know that the stakes when you're in college are lower than they are out of college. And I wasn't comparing college to military life (where the stakes are so much higher it's unfathomable), I was comparing college to work. Which is much harder. For example, let's say that you're feeling crappy, and decide that you aren't going to go to a class, the worst case is that you'll fail that class, and that isn't always true. If you decide to stop going to work, you'll get fired, with a quickness, if you don't have a good excuse you will almost DEFINITELY get fired. It's higher stakes.

Frankly, college shouldn't be high stakes, that kind of stress makes it very difficult to learn things at the rate that you need to learn them in college. And most kids who are going to college don't have the life experience to handle real stress yet, and won't for several more years, so college works as a kind of low stress buffer that's supposed to teach kids to make adult decisions. Now whether or not it works.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

1- I don't usually generalize stuff like this and I can't see where I said "all" so that's on you.

2- Have you considered that I didn't wanted/felt the need/felt comfortable sharing my life details with a stranger in the net over a stupid argument?

3- Maybe your invalidating views on college life and "college kids" are such because you didn't check your privilege?

Anyway I have to sleep now so any response may take a while. It's because of life and not because you "got me".

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

1- I don't usually generalize stuff like this and I can't see where I said "all" so that's on you.
    My argument was that people generally become wise as a result of experiences rather than simply age. And that those experiences could still happen to somebody who was physically younger. You argued that "early maturation was bad" and that implies all cases. You didn't say "early maturation is often bad" or "early maturation can be bad" you flat out said it was.

And you also said that people exposed early maturity developed deep psychological issues. You didn't say "They often develop psychological issues" or "that can lead to psychological issues" because you didn't add those qualifiers that means that you are talking about all cases. If you have communicated that incorrectly then we shouldn't have as much to argue about, but I think you weren't expecting to have to back up your opinions with facts, or to encounter somebody with experiences in those areas.

2- Have you considered that I didn't wanted/felt the need/felt comfortable sharing my life details with a stranger in the net over a stupid argument?
    True, but you haven't been to war, and you haven't had work experience outside of college. Let's be honest here. I'm not saying that you're a worse person for that. I'm saying that you are less qualified to comment on a particular set of experiences that you haven't had as compared to somebody who has had those particular set of experiences.

3- Maybe your invalidating views on college life and "college kids" are such because you didn't check your privilege?
    My privilege? I mean the students who haven't had to go to war would be the privileged ones, no? Also, I have been to school, same as all the other college students. So I have had that experience, I had friends who were regular college students, and they had a lot less ability to handle stressful situations and a lot less ability to cope. It's not because they were worse people. It's because dealing with stress is a learned skill, they hadn't yet learned.

I don't think that a college student is less than a working person, or a soldier. But I do think that there are areas in which they are relatively inexperienced.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

My argument was that people generally become wise as a result of experiences rather than simply age. And that those experiences could still happen to somebody who was physically younger. You argued that "early maturation was bad" and that implies all cases. You didn't say "early maturation is often bad" or "early maturation can be bad" you flat out said it was.

And you also said that people exposed early maturity developed deep psychological issues. You didn't say "They often develop psychological issues" or "that can lead to psychological issues" because you didn't add those qualifiers that means that you are talking about all cases. If you have communicated that incorrectly then we shouldn't have as much to argue about, but I think you weren't expecting to have to back up your opinions with facts, or to encounter somebody with experiences in those areas.

True, but you haven't been to war, and you haven't had work experience outside of college. Let's be honest here. I'm not saying that you're a worse person for that. I'm saying that you are less qualified to comment on a particular set of experiences that you haven't had as compared to somebody who has had those particular set of experiences.

My privilege? I mean the students who haven't had to go to war would be the privileged ones, no? Also, I have been to school, same as all the other college students. So I have had that experience, I had friends who were regular college students, and they had a lot less ability to handle stressful situations and a lot less ability to cope. It's not because they were worse people. It's because dealing with stress is a learned skill, they hadn't yet learned.

I don't think that a college student is less than a working person, or a soldier. But I do think that there are areas in which they are relatively inexperienced.
    I'm on my phone so don't expect anything fancy.

But it is bad! Forcing a teen or a kid to act like an adult is dishuman and has mental and emotional consequences. That's why we have laws againts this sort of things y'know.

They do!

Have you been to war? Care to tell me which one? Because I'm also a teacher giving class in a dangerous sector of the most dangerous city in a third world country with war zone death rates.

So you've been to war. I have been born, raised and live in war. Daily and costantly. Some days I wake up to the sound of gunfire, rather then the singing birds you most likely asume.

Yes, your privilage. If you have been to class and failing a test was "no big deal" you have a huge priviliged ass and don't even know it.

To some "college kids" failure in a test means they lose scholarship which means they can't aford college which is their only way of giving their families a better life and a better house so they don't have to step on their own literal feces everytime they leave their house and they won't lose any more siblings because they can't aford f**** basic sanitation!

So yeah I would say your college experince was a little bit priviliged.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 09:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

....Maybe your invalidating views on college life and "college kids" are such because you didn't check your privilege?.....

Spoiler: Off topic emotional response
    Show
    You weren't addressing me, but it's very hard for me to regard those who've had the privilege of going to college as not being a group that's more privedged than those of us who haven't had the privilege of that education (yes they're individual exceptions, it's a big world). The majority of Americans haven't gone to college, only a majority of today's 25 to 35 year-olds, and the even the majority of them don't have the privilege of a degree.

And while I'm at it, "check your privilege"?

That he loves his current job, and had some college education seems privileged, but from what I've gleaned from his posts, the first half of AMFV's life doesn't seem like anything to be jealous of.

I'm sure I haven't experienced a tenth of what AMFV's experienced but from what I remember of seeing gunfire on city streets, and hearing bullets land on your roof it didn't make me feel privileged, nor did being moved to the "Track" in High School that had more students from the hills who made it clear that I "didn't belong" among them, and have given me more 30 years later a jealousy and resentment of those who grew up in the self-styled "middle class" (how is richer than the majority "middle"?).

Please define what you meant by "Privilege".

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Spoiler: Off topic emotional response
    Show
    You weren't addressing me, but it's very hard for me to regard those who've had the privilege of going to college as not being a group that's more privedged than those of us who haven't had the privilege of that education (yes they're individual exceptions, it's a big world). The majority of Americans haven't gone to college, only a majority of today's 25 to 35 year-olds, and the even the majority of them don't have the privilege of a degree.

And while I'm at it, "check your privilege"?

That he loves his current job, and had some college education seems privileged, but from what I've gleaned from his posts, the first half of AMFV's life doesn't seem like anything to be jealous of.

I'm sure I haven't experienced a tenth of what AMFV's experienced but from what I remember of seeing gunfire on city streets, and hearing bullets land on your roof it didn't make me feel privileged, nor did being moved to the "Track" in High School that had more students from the hills who made it clear that I "didn't belong" among them, and have given me more 30 years later a jealousy and resentment of those who grew up in the self-styled "middle class" (how is richer than the majority "middle"?).

Please define what you meant by "Privilege".
    I just did in the post above but maybe this boy can help:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/sh...ory-rio-favela

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm on my phone so don't expect anything fancy.
    No problem.

But it is bad! Forcing a teen or a kid to act like an adult is dishuman and has mental and emotional consequences. That's why we have laws againts this sort of things y'know.
    We don't have laws against a 19 year old having a kid and having to take on adult responsibilities sooner than somebody who went to college and then waited to do so. We also don't have laws against 19 year old kids going to war. And those were my examples.

I also argued that a 19 year old has a much better emotional capacity to deal with things than the 10 year old or 12 year old in your examples. A 25 year old better still. But to be fair, 25 is when the brain is typically done developing... and so that's usually about the end of your age making you wiser on it's own. After that it's all experiential.

They do!
    Not always though, and not always with equal severity.

Also getting a job and working doesn't generally do that, even though it forces people to act more maturely than college typically does.

Have you been to war? Care to tell me which one? Because I'm also a teacher giving class in a dangerous sector of the most dangerous city in a third world country with war zone death rates.
    OIF during the surge. And then OIF after. Which is the war with the highest US death toll recently. And much higher among civilians, particularly during the surge.

I would argue that teaching in a dangerous sector of the most dangerous city probably makes you more mature than most college students. But you've already said that you were. That most kids don't learn from their mistakes, so you can see a clear difference in maturity, no?

So you've been to war. I have been born, raised and live in war. Daily and costantly. Some days I wake up to the sound of gunfire, rather then the singing birds you most likely asume.
    I've also lived in cities where waking up to gunfire wasn't abnormal, before I went to war. And you know what... going to war was a helluva lot more stressful than living in bad parts of Pittsburgh, Tacoma, and Maryland was. You didn't "live in war" you lived around a war. For people who are experiencing war in that way it's like a natural disaster, and that does require more maturity. But it's not anywhere near the same level of maturity that having to command people who are in a combat situation requires. Or knowing that if you **** up, your friends could die, or more people could. Or that if you do the wrong thing some innocent person could die. That's a completely different situation.

Yes, your privilage. If you have been to class and failing a test was "no big deal" you have a huge priviliged ass and don't even know it.
    My ass isn't that big.

But no, I've been to a lot of hard classes and very rarely was it the case that failing one test would cause you to fail an entire class, unless you're bombing a math final or something. And that's a slightly different situation. I've also passed classes that I almost never attended. In a job situation I'd have been fired for that, but not in school.

To some "college kids" failure in a test means they lose scholarship which means they can't aford college which is their only way of giving their families a better life and a better house so they don't have to step on their own literal feces everytime they leave their house and they won't lose any more siblings because they can't aford f**** basic sanitation!
    I've never heard of a scholarship that you'd lose for one failed test. I had scholarships that required that I maintain a certain GPA, and I did. Even when I skipped classes. So maybe I'm unusually intelligent or something, but college was low stakes. It just is.

Now for people who are using college as the only escape from poverty, then they might be a little bit more mature, but again college is still a lot lower stakes than if they'd had a kid and had to go into the work force. And frankly at least where I live there are a lot of ways you can give your family better ways out without college, skilled trades for example.

No, I was a war vet, who was going through a divorce and still had to help out his family. I've lived without power and running water in the past. I've lived in areas where you'd wake up to gunfire every night, where there were hookers wandering the streets, where there were druggies breaking into people's cars and houses. I've not had a privileged life, and compared to everything else I've had... college has been way easier.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

It seems your college life was a lot more stressful and a lot less chill then you first described. So maybe next time just go on reporting your experiences without invalidating other people's lives? Thanks. XOXO.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 10:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems your college life was a lot more stressful and a lot less chill then you first discribed. So maybe next time just go on reporting your experiences without invalidating other people's lives? Thanks. XOXO.
    How is me saying that college is a lot less stressful than work invalidating anybody's life? It just is. And also most of those experiences where not at college, they were either before or after. College was pretty much the least stressful time of my life, once the divorce was done with.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well, to be honest, and I'm extrapolating here. But I'd wager that most of your experience is with people who are in universities. Who are missing the most important part of learning from their mistakes, serious consequences and responsibilities. I've known a lot of 20 year-olds who were more mature than most forty year-olds. Cause I knew 20 year-olds who might concievably die or get their friends killed if they didn't.

I've also known people who were working with families, who had to learn because they would be out on the streets if they didn't. And they learned better than some people I know who are much older.

So again, I don't think it's youth that's the factor that's making it into a problem, more like the consequences.
    That whole part was unnecessary. Just say what you think and your experiences.

In special because military is know for their dicipline... Rigth?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-problem.html
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 10:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Not wholly untrue though. You don't have the experiences with kids who have had to grow up in the same way that I have, or you would have recognized that this is a thing that happens.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Not wholly untrue though. You don't have the experiences with kids who have had to grow up in the same way that I have, or you would have recognized that this is a thing that happens.
    Ok. You see yourself as a super mature dude. Fine . Great. Have fun with that.

Do you want a freaking medal? Oh wait... Nevermind.

Anyway good luck with your life try not to asume as much.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 10:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

In special because military is know for their dicipline... Rigth?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-problem.html
    I think it is ok for AMFV to guess that most of your experiences are with people who are in University. And that, having attended university and done a lot of other stuff, he thinks University is at the easier, less stressful, end of the spectrum. My own experience is the same.

If he is wrong, you could simply say - "no, I am not thinking of University students, but people who have worked in [high pressure job or whatever]".
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2018-02-10 at 10:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I think it is ok for AMFV to guess that most of your experiences are with people who are in University. And that, having attended university and done a lot of other stuff, he thinks University is at the easier, less stressful, end of the spectrum. My own experience is the same.

If he is wrong, you could simply say - "no, I am not thinking of University students, but people who have worked in [high pressure job or whatever]".
    You don't see me assuming stuff. Do you? So Mr. AMFV Can try to do the same.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

First, you ****ing implied that all the soldiers who have had to mature had some kind of deep psychological issues. You also implied that people who had to get jobs at 19 had deep psychological issues. That's a lot worse assumption than saying "most college kids aren't done maturing yet", no?

And I never used myself as an example of somebody who was mature, I used myself as an example of somebody who had been to war and wasn't permanently traumatized and ruined by the experience.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

First, you ****ing implied that all the soldiers who have had to mature had some kind of deep psychological issues. You also implied that people who had to get jobs at 19 had deep psychological issues. That's a lot worse assumption than saying "most college kids aren't done maturing yet", no?

And I never used myself as an example of somebody who was mature, I used myself as an example of somebody who had been to war and wasn't permanently traumatized and ruined by the experience.
    It's fact that people in the military are more likely to develop psycological issues(Or escape family abuse) you are being trained to kill people! Prove me otherwise. No one pictures a solider when they think "Good mental health and emotional stability" sorry.

I never said 19 I meant kids and teens. Stuff like 5-15.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 10:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

It's fact that people in the military are more likely to develop psycological issues(Or escape family abuse) you are being trained to kill people! Prove me otherwise. No one pictures a solider when they think "Good mental health and emotional stability" sorry.
    Well how many soldiers are you close personal friends with? I would wager I'm close personal friends with far more than you, and my experience is that they're for the most part relatively stable. The sources that you are getting things from is generally Hollywood, at least I would imagine it is, and Hollywood for some reason, likes to depict soldiers as being permanently broken by war.

I never said 19 I meant kids and teens. Stuff like 5-15.
    Well the thing is that when we're talking "forever young" I don't think most people are picturing 15, rather early-mid twenties. Which is an age when I think people are equipped to deal with almost as much as anybody older, at least they should be. If you're thinking mid-late twenties, then they should be exactly as well equipped as a forty year old, with the exception of the fact that they are missing life experiences.

Most people agree that at 25 brain development is pretty much complete. So as far as physical development goes.

Edit: And in any case somebody who is physically in their early twenties but is mentally much older is probably as well equipped as somebody who is much older. I mean physical deterioration doesn't really begin to set in until people are in their 50s typically especially for active people.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2018-02-10 at 10:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well how many soldiers are you close personal friends with?
    I mean articles dummy, not your drinking or gym buddies or whatever.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean articles dummy, not your drinking or gym buddies or whatever.
    Well you share an article that shows the rate of "Deep Mental Disorders" at 100% as you implied it was.

Edit: I also note that you are glossing over literally anything that is an actual response to the OP topic, since I've been including that. Look these guys aren't my "drinking or gym buddies" they're my friends. Like people I've known for years.

Edit 2: And if you were wondering the prevalence for depression in deployed people is 12 percent, which is higher than the national average, but definitely not enough to say that deployments cause depression. I'm sure that we could do the same thing for other disorders. Although many disorders are disqualifying from the military so they'd be more prevalent outside the military.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2018-02-10 at 11:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Geez I never said 100%.

No. You prove to me that the % is suuuper low since I'm tired of finding things for guys like you and then getting discredited because "my sources are not valid". I'm not bothering nor opening that bag of cats.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-02-10 at 11:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Geez I never 100%.

No. You prove to me thst the % is suuuper low since I'm tired of finding things for guys like you and then getting discreted because "my sources are not valid". I'm not bothering nor opening that bag of cats.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4100466/

12%, that's where I got the number from.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional...facts-ptsd.asp

And about the same for current theater vets from OIF and what-not.

Higher for Vietnam vets.

So we're looking at less than 50% of combat veterans having "deep psychological issues" or at least the kind that would be most likely to be caused by that. I mean higher than the general population, yes. But not higher enough to say that everybody who goes to war comes back permanently scarred or anything.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Great. You win. I going to sleep now. Have a good life. Hope not to talk to you again.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

You did say this to AMFV, which does appear to be (or be predicated on) an assumption about him (for all you knew AMFV had been on a scholarship and wouldn't have been able to afford college if he failed, or afford "f***** basic sanitation" for that matter) :

I don't think there's anything wrong with making reasonable assumptions (like you both did, and we all do) so long as you acknowledge them as such, and be prepared to listen if someone challenges those assumptions.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

If a new form of technology was created that allowed you to be forever young and stop aging would you do it?

If so why? If not... Why not?
    Ok so let's get some clarifications...
    ....-Not everyone does it so there are still old people as reference..
    I just did in the post above but maybe this boy can help:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/sh...ory-rio-favela

Spoiler: Response
    Show
    That post of yours reminds me why in your thought experiment "Not everyone does it".

Tour simplistic world views don't surprise me at all, at least try to hide your hatred for academics geez.

Show
    Again, you weren't referring to me, but I'd feel much less resentment if more could get a higher ration of education than do now, instead of it be hoarded away from most.

...I mean physical deterioration doesn't really begin to set in until people are in their 50s typically especially for active people.

Show
    As late as that?

Most of my physical deterioration was a steep decline at ages 32 to 34, during my apprenticeship, when I was very active, I curse those years forever!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Aging doesn't start at any given point, or rather, it's there right from the womb. But your body is also constantly renewing itself, and that's why it's possible to stay constant, even improve, well into your 40s.

The downward slope begins when your body starts losing the fight - when it can no longer fix itself as quickly as before, or when it accumulates injuries it plain can't fix. And when this starts is influenced by a huge number of factors, from genetics, to diet, to exposure to chemicals, to how much sleep you get, to how warm the climate is where you live.

So, 2D8HP, you're a plumber, which in my experience means working in cramped spaces, carrying heavy loads, inhaling toxic dust and smoke, being exposed to corrosive chemicals, being exposed to extreme hot and cold, long workdays and eating dubious stuff for lunch. Of course you were going to age quickly.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Show
    Again, you weren't referring to me, but I'd feel much less resentment if more could get a higher ration of education than do now, instead of it be hoarded away from most.
    Well, I'm not Amazon but since she is a teacher I believe she most likely agree with you, in special because she teaches kids in a "third world country" (I hate such terminology we only have one world) and such places without a higher education the salary and working conditions expected are the bare minimum to survive, sometimes not even that, so I bet she doesn't want to see the very kids she gave classes to working in risky jobs that may cause their deaths or risks causing lasting damage to their health and well being.

I've also lived in cities where waking up to gunfire wasn't abnormal, before I went to war. And you know what... going to war was a helluva lot more stressful than living in bad parts of Pittsburgh, Tacoma, and Maryland was. You didn't "live in war" you lived around a war. For people who are experiencing war in that way it's like a natural disaster, and that does require more maturity. But it's not anywhere near the same level of maturity that having to command people who are in a combat situation requires. Or knowing that if you **** up, your friends could die, or more people could. Or that if you do the wrong thing some innocent person could die. That's a completely different situation.
    Yes, sure I bet a combatant in a foregin country experiences a lot more stress than a native of that city beign invaded.

I mean it's their family who is getting killed in the cross fire, their city that is beign destoried and their shcools and hospitals being bombed.

I bet the soliders are having a worst time, it really makes sese.

" 'cause not only will America come to your country and kill all your people, but what's worse, I think, is that they'll come back 20 years later and make a movie about how killing your people made their soldiers feel sad." - Frankie Boyle
    Last edited by Suttle; 2018-02-11 at 06:06 AM.