I'm from Barcelona is a pop group from Jönköping, Sweden

Just to mess it up...

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1112 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sarbos View Post

Just to mess it up...
    Huh, I'm just putting the finishing touches on a conceptual art piece called "I'm from Barcelona is a pop group from Jönköping, Sweden".

In fact, you're viewing it now. Do you like it?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elanula View Post
    I think Durkula can replay a memory if he chooses, but can't access it by asking for a memory related to something. Evidence:

In Strip 957, Durkula asks for a deeply personal memory of Belkar that just the two would know and comes up blank. But we know that such a memory exists (Strip 877). The only reason I can think of that it would fail to come up is if Durkula already absorbed it (and it would make sense for him to absorb the memory of Durkon's vampirisation early on).

Then Durkon's strategy is to bury valuable information by giving important memories at inopportune times.

Sorry about not linking the relevant strips, I'm a new poster.
    so the idea is that the Durkula cannot connect the memory he has been shown to a significant event/information it relates to. Thus he is missing out on critical information/context and wont revisit the memory later on when it might make more sense / have a different connotation.
    the strip you are referring to is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0957.html
    But I truly think there is a lot of rule of funny in there.
    PLUS ( I think that has already been said?) Durkon might have experienced the situation of his vampirization very differently compared to Belkar.
    For him it probably is a memory of a deeply personal confrontation between him and Malack
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0877.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    They realize if they succeed, there is no ''after this'' right ? I mean they literally vote to destroy the world.
    very good point you make there. I *assumed* they would be talking about other planes of existence ??

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2018-02-12 at 05:27 AM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarbos View Post

Just to mess it up...
    Huh, I'm just putting the finishing touches on a conceptual art piece called "I'm from Barcelona is a pop group from Jönköping, Sweden".

In fact, you're viewing it now. Do you like it?
    Ceci n'est pas I'm from Barcelona is a pop group from Jönköpig, Sweden.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-02-13 at 10:44 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Spamalot in the Playground

I actually hope kinky Poncho Vampiress survives this to be a main character and HPoH going forward
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

In support of the Potruguese / Brazillian slang, about 40 years ago the term 'raincoat' was widely used American slang for 'condom' when condom/rubber was less frequently discussed in open/polite company.

Were you wearing a raincoat was often understood, and used in puns/plays on words, to mean were you wearing a rubber depending on the context of a conversation.
    From mom to kids? The literal meaning.
    From a senior petty officer to a sailor returning from liberty? The slang meaning.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-02-12 at 05:58 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    From a senior petty officer to a sailor returning from liberty? The slang meaning.
    I wonder how long, were I said sailor, they'd laugh at me before explaining the slang when I answered, "It didn't rain the whole time I was on vacation."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Well, I can imagine what she would look like in real life and, well... She talks sexy.
    I have many questions, but I believe that asking them will only add to them.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

9. - Top - End - #189

Yeah, I'm feeling like Roy during the Elanicalus episode.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Has anyone translated what is written on the wall in Durkon's memory? A cursory glance at the forum did not reveal anyone doing it. I am curious, but far too lazy to spend the time doing it myself

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Very interesting new insight into the vampire/host relationship.
    I had a discussion with a friend recently about OOTS and I suggested the idea that the vampire situation may be a lot like the Goa'uld in Stargate. Where the symbiotes (like the Tok'ra) could have a amicable relationship with the host, even a friendship if they so choose. Or just dominate the host completely (like the Goa'uld). Makes me wonder if the vampire spirit could give control of the body to the host from time to time if it wanted to.

But another thing I found interesting was the line Durkula said about it being reassuring the all Durkon was doing to oppose him was "inane memory pranks". That kind of implies that there were other options available whereby Durkon as the host could be more disruptive...and that Durkula had some concerns (however minor) about that happening.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I don't see Durkula being impaired by Durkon directly. At best it seems to me like driving with a two-year-old in the car. Certainly he can be an annoyance, like having "The Song That Never Ends," stuck in your head, but that won't stop Durkula from doing whatever he wants.

I'm still of the belief that Durkon wants him to misinterpret what he sees and act on it, thus wasting effort at a critical time.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

So, Vampire Spirits are corrupters of their hosts' souls? I like that.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2018-02-13 at 12:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194

As for the "read only once" theory, I think it all stems from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0948.html where Durkula does not say that he "references" memories, he "absorbs" them. That implies that they are consumed, and thus no longer available. Which means that if the Order is not fast enough, there may be little that Durkon can remember when released.

Er.

Assuming he is revived, that is, and not just going to Valhalla.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fnordius View Post
    As for the "read only once" theory, I think it all stems from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0948.html where Durkula does not say that he "references" memories, he "absorbs" them. That implies that they are consumed, and thus no longer available. Which means that if the Order is not fast enough, there may be little that Durkon can remember when released.

Er.

Assuming he is revived, that is, and not just going to Valhalla.
    When you absorb a professor's lesson, does this remove the lesson from the professor's brain? I think the literal use of the word is too strict an interpretation.

Once the vampire has a memory, why bother to ask Durkon for it? He already has it. This in no way implies that Durkon forgets or has the memory removed.

Durkon, in my opinion, is forcing Durkula to assign less value to memories than they deserve through data dumps. Durkula, being convinced Durkon is flooding his mind with trivia, won't bother going through those memories when something comes up that relates to them. Instead Durkula will be convinced that Durkon is trying to withhold important data that has already been freely given.

16. - Top - End - #196

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    So, Vampire Spirits are corrupters of their hosts' souls? I like that.
    No, they're not. What the host soul does is entirely irrelevant to the vampire spirit. This one vampire has a more cordial relationship with her host soul than most, but if the host soul tended to evil it's not the vampire that caused that, it was a trend that was there in life but was never acted upon.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Now part of me wonders if Ponchula's host-psyche is fettered like Durkon's psyche is.

I mean, if it's cooperating, would it be tied up?

Then again, maybe it would be for recreational purposes.
    Persona: Gotta Summon Em All

The cake is not a lie. It's a funeral cake, for your funeral.
    "You will be baked... and then there will be cake"- GLaDOS.

Technically a professional game designer. Have RPGMaker, will collab.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Just because one drinks something doesn't mean one doesn't want to wear it.
    I think you might not mean an undifferent number of negatives.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elanula View Post
    I think Durkula can replay a memory if he chooses, but can't access it by asking for a memory related to something. Evidence:

In Strip 957, Durkula asks for a deeply personal memory of Belkar that just the two would know and comes up blank. But we know that such a memory exists (Strip 877). The only reason I can think of that it would fail to come up is if Durkula already absorbed it (and it would make sense for him to absorb the memory of Durkon's vampirisation early on).

Then Durkon's strategy is to bury valuable information by giving important memories at inopportune times.

Sorry about not linking the relevant strips, I'm a new poster.
    The issue with this is that the memory (Durkon's death) is, as we see later in Strip 957, precisely the reason Belkar can't believe this is really Durkon. I have to assume the vampire already had this memory and was specifically searching for something ELSE, as he could see that this deeply personal memory would not serve the purpose he wanted.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    The issue with this is that the memory (Durkon's death) is, as we see later in Strip 957, precisely the reason Belkar can't believe this is really Durkon. I have to assume the vampire already had this memory and was specifically searching for something ELSE, as he could see that this deeply personal memory would not serve the purpose he wanted.
    Or it's extremely possible that it's an important memory for Belkar - But Durkon doesn't think that Belkar cares about it.

Keep in mind, that Belkar has evolved but the rest of the party clearly don't see it.

When the vampire joins the party, he flat out tells them that he's evil just like Belkar and they quickly accept it. Heck, even Belkar accepts it a couple of strips later

When the party was discussing Durkon's signifigance for the group, Belkar tells everyone not to expect him to say anything meanigful. He does, but quitely to himself.

All in all, Durkon probably thinks things are the same between them, so he can't give the vampire any memories.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think you might not mean an undifferent number of negatives.
    To quote a wiser man than I... Well sure, if you want it to be, like, correct.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

This would have to be one of my favourite strips.

I have to admit I think I would be one of those that would submit to my vampire host in a second.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    I was thinking of Belkar and a Belkula. Might have they been a great team, in the old days?
    Then I realized that the reply is: probably not. Belkar would have bickered even with an evil version of his evil self. Maybe about the evil vampire being not evil enough and ruining Belkar's reputation.
    The vampire host would probably try to cure his body of vampirism.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

I scanned this thread and didn't see that anyone else had brought this up, but I might have missed it...

The female vampire thinks she's going to go do stuff with her host after she's done with this job. Meaning she thinks it's going to be possible to go do stuff. Meaning she doesn't realize she's helping to make sure the world ends. Does this mean Durkon's vampire's followers might betray him if they found out what the ultimate goal is?

25. - Top - End - #205

As for the guaranteed destruction, not necessarily; Greg might be planning on Plane Shifting out with them.

As for betrayal...they only even can consider disobeying his orders if he's released them from his thrall, and I'm not seeing any reason why he'd do that.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cudbie Enniwun View Post
    I scanned this thread and didn't see that anyone else had brought this up, but I might have missed it...

The female vampire thinks she's going to go do stuff with her host after she's done with this job. Meaning she thinks it's going to be possible to go do stuff. Meaning she doesn't realize she's helping to make sure the world ends. Does this mean Durkon's vampire's followers might betray him if they found out what the ultimate goal is?
    They plan on Plane Shifting to Hel's place before the world goes up. And then presumably shift back to World 3.0 as Hel's chosen prophets.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #207

Kobold

On the topic of Ponchula seeing her host fantasy, wouldnt seeing a memory of her thinking up the fantasy be enough?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    On the topic of Ponchula seeing her host fantasy, wouldnt seeing a memory of her thinking up the fantasy be enough?
    Or, you know, talking.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-02-18 at 03:04 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #209

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    Not sure the memory thing works that way--I don't think we've ever seen Durkon show a memory of a dream or fantasy to Durkula. It would be rather easy for an unco-operative host to trick the vampire if it was possible for them to show things that weren't actually real, you'd think?

30. - Top - End - #210

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not sure the memory thing works that way--I don't think we've ever seen Durkon show a memory of a dream or fantasy to Durkula. It would be rather easy for an unco-operative host to trick the vampire if it was possible for them to show things that weren't actually real, you'd think?
    They brought that up in #1088. One of my favorite exchanges in this arc. To quote the relevant information:

Och, if'n I could show ye stuff tha dinnae happen, I'd've told ye Roy's name was, like, Maurice or sumthin' on Day One. Or showed ye Haley refusin' payment while Belkar served soup to orphans. An' Elan did math in tha backround. "We need a team name! Let's call ourselves 'Tha Order o' tha Look-Out-Roy-Tha-Vampire's-Na-Really-Durkon!'"