Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Dumbest Thing You Have Ever Seen A Party Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    ... why don't I remember that? Which game was it in? The original Pool of Radiance? Or one of the sequels?
    Yup, original Pool of Radiance. Heir of House Bivant, being held at the Buccaneer camp. You could:

- start a fight and fight all the buccaneers, facing their captain and his best troops last

- buy a pass to see the captain, assassinate him, and fight the rest of the camp on the way out

- buy a pass to see the captain, and just buy the kid from him

- open the stable gates and start a stampede, then steal the boy and escape in the confusion

I mean, I typically fought the camp both for experience and because evil slavers, but the options existed!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

My story is just one player, but I think it qualifies because the entire time he was doing it, I was thinking to myself "Are you trying to get your character killed? Because there is only one way this can end."

At that time, the campaign consisted of a series of mostly episodic, unrelated adventures that the party took off of a bounty board posted in each of the country's major cities. The party (who couldn't have been higher than about level 5 or so at the time) had just returned to town after completing a mission in which they rescued a woman from her obsessed tiefling stalker. Even though it was fairly early in the day, they were a bit beat up, low on spells, etc. and decided to just hang out at the inn.

The party druid, a half-orc with a big silverback gorilla for an animal companion, decides that he doesn't want to waste the day. While everyone else goes back to the inn to relax and recuperate, he hits up the bounty board and takes on a job to investigate the cause of a tavern that had recently been burned to the ground, and bring the perpetrator (if there was one) to justice.

At first things progressed well enough. By interviewing witnesses, the druid was able to locate a few people who had been present when the tavern caught fire, and was able to reconstruct what happened. It turns out that a rowdy, drunken half-orc had gotten a bit carried away in retelling ane re-enacting some of his escapades, and while describing a battle had begun swinging his flaming maul around the tavern. The building caught fire, everyone scattered, and the half-orc stumbled off somewhere. After a bit more investigation, the druid learned that this half-orc had been seen leaving town a couple days ago, headed north toward the forest (several hours' hard ride from the city).

Once he discovered that this job would take him a long way out of the city and possibly involve combat, I expected the druid would head back to the inn, fill in his teammates on what he'd learned, and they'd head out the next day in pursuit. That's what most people would do, particularly when they've already faced combat today, are at less than half hp, and have expended all of their wild shapes and most of their spells. But no. Without so much as a word to his party-mates, the druid and his animal companion set off northward out of the city, headed for the forest where the half-orc was said to be headed.

After a couple hours' worth of travel I started rolling for random encounters, which was pretty much par for the course back then. He ended up being pursued by a pack of krenshars. The fight was short but brutal, ending with the druid bleeding out at something like -8 hp, and his gorilla companion driving off the krenshars. I allowed the gorilla to make an untrained Heal check to try and stabilize him, which (predictably) failed. The player described it as the gorilla trying to feed him a banana and failing, causing him to choke. So the druid died an ignominious death out on the plains somewhere between the city and the forest.

With no reason to suspect what had actually happened, the rest of the party reached the conclusion that their druid had tired of adventuring with them and gone his own way. So they hired a replacement (the player's next character, a dragonborn dragon shaman) and ended up taking the same job, making the same investigation, and setting off in pursuit of the same half-orc, whom they eventually found and subdued.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i had a falling out with the wizard player over him beating his pregnant gf. but once we were at the table, there was only the characters. we left real life tiffs behind.
    I'm, uh...gonna go ahead and say domestic abuse is a pretty good example of the kind of "tiff" worth bringing to the table.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

It might not have started as the "dumbest" things, but it somehow turned into something pretty dumb by, how to name it? Playing conventions?

PF, low level party is exploring the wildness, find the lair of some Fey that have a reputation for cruelty and traps. Two characters make the relevant knowledge rolls and share that information with the party.

- Rogue goes scouting a bit, sneaks in, bypassing (but not disabling) some traps, triggers one and goes into negative hp.
    - Ranger comes to the rescue, sneaks in, avoids some, but ultimately triggers two traps and goes into negative hp.
    - Druid sighs, buffs up and charges in for a rescue attempt.... ok, I don't need to go on, I think.

Overall, it was like watching a TPK in slow motion.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthaer View Post
    I'm, uh...gonna go ahead and say domestic abuse is a pretty good example of the kind of "tiff" worth bringing to the table.
    indeed, but what i didn't make clear was that this happened a few years later. violence may not have been the answer, but no jury would blame me throttling the idiot in a rose bush. except for the rose bush owner, but i paid that rose bush back in full. he'd been shady and arrogant for years, but it's only after we learned his gf was pregnant that his demeanor changed to that of a caged animal. his dm'ing style also changed from hard but fair to "haha, you fell into my inevitable trap, losers!" psycho dm territory. him becoming violent towards his partner was the straw that broke the camel's back, and the rose bush.

i broke off all contact with this despicable person following that encounter. i don't regret it.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

In a requiem game, I was in, a Gangrel PC used Protean to hide in the ground in response to two or three mortal thugs not wanting to leave the abandoned church we lived under.

Right in front of them.

he said he was scared.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not one I participated in myself, but a former coworker related to me from his days of DMing 2E...

Ok, so, in this one dungeon, DM puts in a big, ruby-red stone statue of a pair of lips on a pedestal, inscribed upon which are the words (in a language EVERY PC can read) "Touch the Ruby Lips of Death to die." You already know what happened next.

So, the group helpfully raised their idiot companion and went on about their business of being successful(?) adventurers. Couple IRL years later, same group, same PCs, but of course leveled up a few times over. What does the group find in the middle of a jungle clearing? You guessed it: "Touch the Ruby Lips et al....".

You already know what happened next.

Apparently the player, for who knows what reason, figured the DM surely wouldn't use the exact same trap twice.
    DM: "Don't call me 'Shirley'."
    Mean People Suck

The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, because words mean what they mean, and cannot be arbitrarily redefined just because you're lazy and/or careless. Or, put another way: Infer we shoe to gobble the blueberry jazz musician? Spleen! Water crackers pontificate when sebum roasts merrily for the lagoon.

You can either roll a DIE (singular), or multiple DICE (plural).

Association for Renaissance Martial Arts

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batou1976 View Post
    Not one I participated in myself, but a former coworker related to me from his days of DMing 2E...

Ok, so, in this one dungeon, DM puts in a big, ruby-red stone statue of a pair of lips on a pedestal, inscribed upon which are the words (in a language EVERY PC can read) "Touch the Ruby Lips of Death to die." You already know what happened next.

So, the group helpfully raised their idiot companion and went on about their business of being successful(?) adventurers. Couple IRL years later, same group, same PCs, but of course leveled up a few times over. What does the group find in the middle of a jungle clearing? You guessed it: "Touch the Ruby Lips et al....".

You already know what happened next.

Apparently the player, for who knows what reason, figured the DM surely wouldn't use the exact same trap twice.
    DM: "Don't call me 'Shirley'."
    my favorite trap of all time was littering the corridors with roombas. whenever players were inattentive, i made them roll agility (to get them to learn basic perception reflexes). invariably, they tripped and fell on the roombas. one day, the same pc is being an air-head again (part of his character's personnality). he fell into a 10m pit being caught by his shotgun's sling at the last minute. the rest of the team didn't bother to warn him about the pit. the snickered while pulling him up.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

There was the player who scrimped and saved and shaved all sorts of things from his character sheet in order to have just enough money to buy a single stun-grenade. He was going to use it to knock out another PC and then steal all his money, rather than... well... just playing a character who had more money.
    It backfired spectacularly when he critically failed the attack roll, scattered the grenade into his own face and was KO'd long enough for his intended victim to finish using the bathroom, wash his hands, wonder why someone had left a perfectly good blaster pistol unattended on the floor, and then walk off with it. This left his assailant not only unarmed but now in debt because he'd had to take out a loan in order to buy his rank 0, basic-model blaster pistol.

Then there was the player who, when our baggage train was attacked by a band of beastmen intent on robbery and murder, decided that the best way to create a distraction so that he could escape, was to set fire to some nearby children. He reasoned that if their shrieks of agony and terror didn't deter the beastmen, then their bodies scattering into the woods naked and aflame would give them something to chase while he ran in the opposite direction.
    That character died at the hands of a deformed mutant who was dedicated to the evil god of murder and bloodshed looking down on him and saying "dude, just... no...".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Then there was the player who, when our baggage train was attacked by a band of beastmen intent on robbery and murder, decided that the best way to create a distraction so that he could escape, was to set fire to some nearby children. He reasoned that if their shrieks of agony and terror didn't deter the beastmen, then their bodies scattering into the woods naked and aflame would give them something to chase while he ran in the opposite direction.
    That character died at the hands of a deformed mutant who was dedicated to the evil god of murder and bloodshed looking down on him and saying "dude, just... no...".
    Hahaha, reminds me of the time I tried to explore a truly evil character, and I wound up being the one concerned with the party's blatant disregard for the sanctity of life, as I was the only one in the party had any qualms whatsoever about the murder of sentient beings.

But, I gotta say, you know it's time to go home and rethink your life when the devotee of the evil god of murder and bloodshed is aghast at the depravity of your actions.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Hahaha, reminds me of the time I tried to explore a truly evil character, and I wound up being the one concerned with the party's blatant disregard for the sanctity of life, as I was the only one in the party had any qualms whatsoever about the murder of sentient beings.
    It's always funny when that happens. I was a player in one game where everyone sepertely decided to play the token anti-hero (and the group knew each other, the assumption that everyone else would be heroic was actually pretty good). My extremist religious zealot priest of a nature god, red in tooth and claw, somehow became the moral center of the group. Everyone else was worse.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Not asking for Insight is stupid, but honestly, the slavers attacking them is stupider. Slavers are businessmen, and people trying to recover slaves violently is bad for business. People willing to buy their friends back, on the other hand, is good for business. After all, someone will pay a lot more money for his friend than for random slave number 8.

I don't know the full context here, of course, but from what you've told me I'd say the party is somewhat justified in being angry with you.
    Maybe, but these slavers were operating illegally (and secretly) from a hidden keep under the city. Letting the party just leave with the slaves would have completely ruined their business. The party might have been able to negotiate a deal, but they didn't even try. They just said "We're here to take back the slaves y'all kidnapped" and thought the slavers would hand them over.