The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default In the Name of the Crown OOC

IC thread here.

Hey all, welcome to the game! I wanted to get an OOC thread up and running so that I could announce who was in the game and take care of some housekeeping items before we get going IC (likely posting that thread tonight or tomorrow).

I'll be reserving red text for my own purposes, but feel free to claim an IC speaking color. The other request is that you post here or PM me an idea of where you want to go with your character/where they would wand to go. For example, if there's a specific PrC that you are aiming for later, a certain thing they want to know, place they want to go, etc. The idea here is that I want to tailor the campaign to your characters a bit so that we can tell a story together, though I can't promise to honor all requests given the confines of a campaign. If you don't know yet or would prefer to PM me rather than posting here, that's fine as well.

Also, it would be nice to work out OOC if any characters would know one another. Would the two Morgrave professors have met? From the sounds of it, both Levini and Kaddick have worked for the King's Citadel, so perhaps Jules would know about one or both of them as well.

@A.A.King In reference you your comment in the recruitment thread, I very much like the party dynamic of having two devoted tracker characters in the party, because Balduin and Kaddick are so incredibly different and their mounts even more so. I also want the druidic sects to feature in the campaign as well, so having two of those perspective within the party will be interesting.
    Last edited by FlamingKobold; 2018-02-13 at 08:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: In the Name of the Crown OOC

Given that I seem to be the first one here, I will go ahead and claim Green, the Colour of Druids and Fey Magic.
    Also, I am assuming Baluin hasn't met anyone yet, I don't think he has been on this plane long enough for that to happen.

EDIT: Balduin talks in Dark Green, and Sunny talks in Light Green
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2018-02-11 at 08:38 AM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levini will speak in Golden Rod. I think it is unlikely that she would know anyone, but she doesn't particularly keep a low profile and works for the Citadel, so it's certainly possible that the Dark Lantern would have heard of her at least in passing. She's not particularly bookish, so she would not be acquainted with the professors.

As for advancement, I'm hoping that we get to face some psionic enemies (possibly with Hyperconscious mindscape combat) which would really awaken Levini to the true source of her powers and move her into using them more actively, or at least consciously as well as resolve some of her inner turmoil about her mental state. I'm planning to continue through Psychokinetic Champion and hope to start leveling in Quori mindhunter, if it's appropriate to the campaign. Given the subject matter of this mission as well as the explicit mention of a lack of psionic/magic transparency, I reckon that it will come in handy to have a psionic character in the group that can deal with them.

IC wise, Levini is initially motivated by loyalty to her House and country, and will follow their directives for now. More fundamentally, she is driven by a desire to prove herself and (eventually) to learn more about psionics, the Kalshtar and the quori.

From an RP perspective, she's a fairly carefree individual and tries to have fun with her work and protect the downtrodden, so from the sounds of it she and Sir Balduin will have a good time together!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I will claim Indigo for Kaddick. His primary driving force is to protect Eberron from those who would harm it, particularly aberrations and the daelkyr. His heritage leaves him fairly reserved in social situations despite his charisma score, so he tends to let others do the talking. He has been a loner for much of his life and has only rarely left the Shadow Marches (and has never left southwestern Khorvaire), so I hope his growth as a character comes from meeting new people and developing new friendships as well as seeing more of the world. I think he would also be looking forward to working with another druid and learning more about the greensingers and Lamannia, as well as learning from the more scholarly characters as he has little practical knowledge of arcane magic, though he sees it as a useful tool to fight the daelkyr.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

For reference: Jule ir'Tajar

Glad to have made it, I think I'll grab Dark Orange.

I'm reading through other's backgrounds to see where we could link up.

Kaddik / frogrunner: Jule could have easily met Kaddik when he ventured into the Skyraker forest on the crown's behalf. If this was before the end of the war, she would have been part of a squad of rangers taken from the main Brelish army. Kaadick would have seen a soldier proud of her job, who would often banter with the other members of her group. If this was after the war, she would have participated as a Dark Lantern in the crown's service, who took things much more seriously and terminated any of the dolghasts she ran into with extreme prejudice.

Kaelan / Cozja: It looks like both are history professors, though Jule's focus is on Khorvaire, Breland and the Last War. Odds are, Jule would have been rather friendly and tried to get as much information about Kaelan's time fighting for Cyre out of him as possible. She also would have showed great interest in the nature of Xendrik's ancient secrets and their possible danger. She would have pressed the subjects when able, always hoping to glean a bit more info. She would have not been open about her role as a Dark Lantern, which may paint those conversations in a different light once Kaelan eventually found/finds out.

Spoiler: Goals
    Show
    Mechanically, I think I'll keep going with Duskblade and Dark Lantern, if something interesting comes up, I'm open to changing though.

RP wise, I think there's a lot that could be done with Agni, her Imp familiar. She sees him as a horrid creature but a useful tool, and even if the bond was thrust upon her outside of her control, she is willling to make the most of it. Agni sees her as an investement that he will cash out when she dies, but the longer that is from now and the more she accomplishes, the bigger the payout will be. The two are linked now regardless of how much they antagonize the other, so they stick together out of mutual interests. I feel this could go somewhere on the planar intrigue front.

As for Jule's development, she's at a low point though she will refuse to show it (the only one who sees this actively is Agni, which likely isn't helping). She feels she lost a part of her, physically and mentally, when her squad perished after she left them, and if she can heal with the help of the party, well, it seems like an interesting goal to RP.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2018-02-10 at 04:51 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, saw only now after a long night of work (and some sleep!)
    I'm happy to be part of this game, especially with this cool cast of characters!
    Kaelan will speak in Blue as the Storm Sea he loved to navigate.

As for characters interactions:
    Ryuuk: Surely Jule and Kaelan know each other, as all professors do! I can see him telling her tales of the war and of Xen'drik, since he believes it is really important to learn the secrets of the past to build a better future (in some way, that's a big part of what the Valenar elves believe). As for her Dark Lantern past, maybe Kaelan understood that she has some war experience, but he is by no means perceptive enough to figure out 'Dark' connections in a university professor.

As for class advancement, I'll go for Primal Scholar on the Wu Jen side, and a combination of Extreme Explorer/Thunder Guide on the other. Nothing more.
    Maybe the Thunder Guide can be somewhat problematic, considering it requires you to do specific things, but I figured it's easy to retroactively add some old adventure (the advantage of being a two-and-a-half centuries old elf).
    What I'm interested in for him is to find out more about her ancestor spirit, and to see how it can tie with the unfolding story. And, well, if he will find an opening for some position of power, whether it be in the university or somewhere else, Kaelan will surely look for it: one of the characteristics of the Valenar is that they are pretty sure of being better warriors/tacticians/heroes than everybody else, and even in Kaelan desire to help others there's more than one hint of this Tairnadal pride.
    Does this poster have a sign?

7. - Top - End - #7

HalflingRangerGuy

It's good to see there is at least one other carefree individual in this party, I definitetly think that Levini and Sir Balduin will get a long just fine. I don't think he'll have any particular problem with anyone else, but I do intend to ham it up a little which might throw of some of the more serious characters. Look forward to my Death Scenes if I ever get to use the Play Dead option from my Combat Panache Tactical Feat. ;)

I was wondering though, are there any Bard Spells people would like me to know? There are still choices on my list I'm willing to swap out and if I don't have room for them now I might have room for them later. Sir Balduin will do his best to support the party. Like I said in the recruitment thread, I don't really have the spell slots to be a full-on healer but with "Healing Hymn" + "Healthful Rest" + "Summon Elysian Thelanis Thrush" the party should heal 8 times their Character level (or 56 Hit points at the start) as well as 8 points of Ability Damage per affected ability score (which means nobody needs to worry about their (Greater) Luminious Armour spells strength damage ;) ) provided you get 8 hours of bed rest.

Play-by-Post Characters:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    Look forward to my Death Scenes if I ever get to use the Play Dead option from my Combat Panache Tactical Feat. ;)
    That's something I hope to see!

I was wondering though, are there any Bard Spells people would like me to know?
    I'd say Unfettered Heroism, but it's a bit too early in the game. Barring that other buffing spells are always welcome!
    Speaking of which, since you already noticed that Snowflake Wardance requires some homebrew, are you really sure that you want a Heavy(--->Medium Armor) with Battle Caster Feat instead of a Medium (--->Light Armor) with Battle Blessing feat? Because with the bonus in casting your paladin gets, more quick spells seem good.

Like I said in the recruitment thread, I don't really have the spell slots to be a full-on healer but with "Healing Hymn" + "Healthful Rest" + "Summon Elysian Thelanis Thrush" the party should heal 8 times their Character level (or 56 Hit points at the start)
    More than enough for Kaelan
    as well as 8 points of Ability Damage per affected ability score (which means nobody needs to worry about their (Greater) Luminious Armour spells strength damage ;) )
    Eheeheheheh I like it!
    Last edited by CozJa; 2018-02-11 at 07:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    I'd say Unfettered Heroism, but it's a bit too early in the game. Barring that other buffing spells are always welcome!
    Speaking of which, since you already noticed that Snowflake Wardance requires some homebrew, are you really sure that you want a Heavy(--->Medium Armor) with Battle Caster Feat instead of a Medium (--->Light Armor) with Battle Blessing feat? Because with the bonus in casting your paladin gets, more quick spells seem good.
    Snowflake Wardance has been ok-ed for my lighter-than-a-standard-Chainshirt Full Plate, and the image of this Knight in Full plate dancing around the battle field, slashing his enemies while singing a jolly song is just too good to pass up. This may just be me, but I think that the Full Plate makes the character feel more Knightly than a Breastplate would. The Full Plate makes it all come together to make him look like a weird Knight. He's clearly 'other', he's something Fey but also still recognizable as a Knight. Without the Full Plate he'd just be a weird guy

I also don't have that many swift actions available, at least not in combat (which is when Swift Actions really matter), because the first one will be used to cast 'Inspirational Boost' and the second one will be used for 'Badge of Valor'. Once we enter the third round of combat I would probably be better of just Full Attacking.

I do appreciate the suggestion though! But ultimately I think that Battle Caster does more for Balduin than Battle Blessing would (there's also a lot to be said for the +3 extra AC that would otherwise require more DEX than my character can afford). I'll certainly look out for Unfettered Heroism if we ever get that far.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I'm also claiming Light Green for Sunny and bumping Balduin up to Dark Green so that the two are clearly different and it doesn't look like Balduin is talking to himself (even though I as a player will be talking to myself...)
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2018-02-11 at 08:36 AM.

Play-by-Post Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I concur with it: Full Plate is generally cooler than everything else!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Definitely agree that the image of a full-plate clad knight singing across a battlefield with a unicorn would be quite the spectacle. And in that case perhaps I should be looking into some sanctified spells

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's good to see there is at least one other carefree individual in this party, I definitetly think that Levini and Sir Balduin will get a long just fine. I don't think he'll have any particular problem with anyone else, but I do intend to ham it up a little which might throw of some of the more serious characters. Look forward to my Death Scenes if I ever get to use the Play Dead option from my Combat Panache Tactical Feat. ;)
    For what its worth, I'm looking forward to having Jule react to Balduin's antics. Not quite sure how she will just yet, but it looks like she has much more in common with Sunny.

@FlamingKobold May a make a few small changes to my sheet? Looking over it, I made a few mistakes that I'd like to correct (Jule does not qualify for Arcane Strike yet, I missed the ability to cast 3rd level spells as a prerequisite, I also missed the 1000gp in price for her shield). The summary for the changes would be below:

Spoiler: Changes
    Show
    5th: Arcane Strike -> Craft Wand (this lets her make her wand, which should only require a DC 13 check, 5+ 3CL + 5 not having the spell known. Price would go from 4500 to 2250, letting 1000 of those go to the shield)

Flaw: Insomniac: DC 15 Fortitude or wake up fatigued, with some conditional bonuses or penallties to the save
    Feat: Combat Expertise

It was mentioned in the recruitment thread, but may I go from 3.5 Rogue to Pathfinder Rogue? This would add a pair of talents:
    Lvl 2 Rogue Talent: Offensive Defense
    Lvl 4 Rogue Talent: Slow Reactions

Accounting would look like this:
    +4500 Wand of Scorching Ray
    +375 Wand of Prestidigitation

-12.5 Scroll of Prestidigitation (Spent to create wand)
    -162.5 Wand of Prestidigitation (Crafted)
    -150 Scroll of Scorching Ray (Spent to create wand)
    -2250 Wand of Scorching Ray (Crafted)
    -1000 +1 to Shield
    -150 3 potions of Second Wind (Spell Compendium, Paladin 1, cures fatigue)
    -750 Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendum)

Taking into account the 111 gp I had left over, I would have 511 after these changes.

If these changes are ok, I'll go ahead and make them before the IC starts.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    For what its worth, I'm looking forward to having Jule react to Balduin's antics. Not quite sure how she will just yet, but it looks like she has much more in common with Sunny.

@FlamingKobold May a make a few small changes to my sheet? Looking over it, I made a few mistakes that I'd like to correct (Jule does not qualify for Arcane Strike yet, I missed the ability to cast 3rd level spells as a prerequisite, I also missed the 1000gp in price for her shield). The summary for the changes would be below:

Spoiler: Changes
    Show
    5th: Arcane Strike -> Craft Wand (this lets her make her wand, which should only require a DC 13 check, 5+ 3CL + 5 not having the spell known. Price would go from 4500 to 2250, letting 1000 of those go to the shield)

Flaw: Insomniac: DC 15 Fortitude or wake up fatigued, with some conditional bonuses or penallties to the save
    Feat: Combat Expertise

It was mentioned in the recruitment thread, but may I go from 3.5 Rogue to Pathfinder Rogue? This would add a pair of talents:
    Lvl 2 Rogue Talent: Offensive Defense
    Lvl 4 Rogue Talent: Slow Reactions

Accounting would look like this:
    +4500 Wand of Scorching Ray
    +375 Wand of Prestidigitation

-12.5 Scroll of Prestidigitation (Spent to create wand)
    -162.5 Wand of Prestidigitation (Crafted)
    -150 Scroll of Scorching Ray (Spent to create wand)
    -2250 Wand of Scorching Ray (Crafted)
    -1000 +1 to Shield
    -150 3 potions of Second Wind (Spell Compendium, Paladin 1, cures fatigue)
    -750 Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendum)

Taking into account the 111 gp I had left over, I would have 511 after these changes.

If these changes are ok, I'll go ahead and make them before the IC starts.
    That all looks fine to me! And apologies for the delay, but the thread will certainly be up tomorrow morning. Based on some of your responses I wanted to switch a few things up, which required a decent amount of research through Eberron lore that I feel I underestimated. But now my notes have been mostly rewritten and I'll get the IC up shortly!

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

IC thread is up here: Link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzza! We're ready to adventure!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Changes to Jule's sheet done, thanks FlamingKobold

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

Obviously, if people do still have questions do ask them. It's just that Balduin didn't really have any and so he is just assumed everyone else would be done too. He's just very eager, please do forgive him.

Play-by-Post Characters:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

On the same boat. Took me a while to think of asking if there were any liasons, but beyond that, I think Jule is good as far as information.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I already love Sir Balduin!

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    I already love Sir Balduin!

I'm really enjoying roleplaying him and so very happy to hear someone else likes him too. I hope I'm not going too over the top with him though, he is a rather extreme character (and I'm doing my best to sound diplomatic as well as enthusiastic)

Play-by-Post Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I'm really enjoying roleplaying him and so very happy to hear someone else likes him too. I hope I'm not going too over the top with him though, he is a rather extreme character (and I'm doing my best to sound diplomatic as well as enthusiastic)
    I am loving Balduin as well, although I think he confuses Kaddik a great deal. Definitely looking forward to that dynamic I think you're striking the perfect balance between enthusiasm and diplomacy and appreciate how over the top it is!

I also don't have anything else to ask, so drinks and departure sound good to me!

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingRangerGuy

There should definitetly be some interesting interplay betweem Kaddik and Sir Balduin. I'm especally looking forward to when he discovered I'm a fellow druid (well sort of anyway).

But with that I think we've all agreed to go have a drink. Let's see how many of my 15 gps I'll have left after that

Play-by-Post Characters:

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRangerGuy

Are there other things we still want to discuss or shall we let Sir Balduin play us into the night and move on to the next day?

Play-by-Post Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ready to go!

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingRangerGuy

btw @frogrunner, Sir Balduin wasn't playing the horn. He pulled out a horn as a visual pun (which he himself thought was very amusing) but he then put it back in his backpack and started playing the lute instead.

Play-by-Post Characters:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

btw @frogrunner, Sir Balduin wasn't playing the horn. He pulled out a horn as a visual pun (which he himself thought was very amusing) but he then put it back in his backpack and started playing the lute instead.
    Whoops edited. Also, I didn't see your post about timeskipping until after I had posted, sorry about that! I'm also good to skip ahead!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Been absent for a week, my apologies, but yeah, I'm fine with moving on.

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Then time skip it is! IC posting incoming.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I've been really busy lately, need to organize my time.

Spoiler: Insomnia Flaw
    Show
    (1d20+9)[20] (Assuming comfortable conditions before the flight) vs DC 15 Fort

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Answering here from IC!

I was thinking to have Kaelan prepare Elemental Eye, and use it for scouting. Since the spell has a maximum range, I thought it could be useful to have some way to move it across that range (aside from throwing it ). Telekinesis has exactly the same range, and would make for a perfect match of scouting utility, but that'll require more levels (and the possibility of adding it to Wu Jen)