New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: absolute power corrupts absolutely

I already have the ability to harm, even kill many (but not any) people without getting caught, if I'm careful. I have the ability to steal or destroy many things, again, without getting caught.

But I don't.

And I seriously doubt getting superpowers would change that. Not even if I mask up and try to stop desperate or malicious people from doing their thing from time to time.
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, power itself does not create motivation to use it. Or it needs to be of very particular kind to do so.

Theoretically, everything you can hold in your hand can be used to kill someone. In many cases, how to do so is not obvious and most people never think of a way to do it for most objects. Not because "killing is wrong, I would never do it", but because the thought literally never crosses their minds.

Or: the picture above is a library, where you can learn all you want to know for free. The picture below is a mall where they hand out free buckets.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

The first thing I'd do is install my own world government. Many things that are now illegal would become legal, and many things that are now legal would be outlawed. If I have omniscience, they'd be outlawed and very, very well enforced. Otherwise, simply well-enforced with an efficient police force. If my superpowers are as great as you say, I can generate electricity, or mine asteroids, or do something else to fully fund my government, so budgeting would become a non-issue. I'd have these enterprises be state-owned, though if someone thinks they can compete they're welcome to try. I'd also do my best to cut out whatever bureaucracy was becoming unwieldy, but with a worldwide government there would inevitably need to be some.
    Schools, nursing homes, hospitals and water treatment plants would be constructed and well-funded worldwide, but their workers would be held to a much higher standard than today. Any country would be able to continue to exist with its own government, so long as they didn't interfere with the laws I set in place previously.

Naturally, many would object to this. If their objections mean I become corrupt, then there is your answer - instantly.
    If, however, that doesn't count, then it's a toss up. There are a lot of things I'd be tempted to do, but when and if I'd do them cannot be predicted.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

So does the ban on any kind of power that mitigates corruption also ban powers that indirectly keep me from becoming corrupted? Because that actually makes a list of very few powers.

Corruption comes from attempting to meet a need or perceived need. Even the need for lulz. If I could give myself any power that kept me from any kind of need, it would also keep me from taking measures that would lead to my corruption. If I don't need to eat, I don't need to steal food. If I don't get sick or injured, I can lay around outside in on Antarctica. If I don't need social contact, I don't need to mold society or even myself to fit the other.

To make this really meta, is my corruption determined at the moment I choose my powers? If I do anything less than choosing the optimal build and distribution of powers, do I become corrupt simply for failing humanity at my one moment of omnipotence? If I don't choose something like: 'The power to make everyone free of needs and limitations', then am I corrupt for choosing any other option?

If the above ideas are considered, then I am probably only limited to choosing high-risk, high-reward powers. That way, I don't really have any means of circumventing corruption, just a very tempting means to succumb to it. If I had a superpower that kept me susceptible to all the things on my needs pyramid, then the question of my corruption becomes harder to answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    So does the ban on any kind of power that mitigates corruption also ban powers that indirectly keep me from becoming corrupted? Because that actually makes a list of very few powers.
    Sure, you can avoid corruption by removing yourself from all situations where corruption might occur. Most people would find that boring, but that would be a route you could take.

To make this really meta, is my corruption determined at the moment I choose my powers? If I do anything less than choosing the optimal build and distribution of powers, do I become corrupt simply for failing humanity at my one moment of omnipotence? If I don't choose something like: 'The power to make everyone free of needs and limitations', then am I corrupt for choosing any other option?
    You would only be corrupt if you currently think that you are morally obligated to do something like that... If you currently think "that's not my responsibility", then you would be acting just like your current self, rather than a corruption of your current self... if you see what I mean (I elaborate below)

If the above ideas are considered, then I am probably only limited to choosing high-risk, high-reward powers. That way, I don't really have any means of circumventing corruption, just a very tempting means to succumb to it. If I had a superpower that kept me susceptible to all the things on my needs pyramid, then the question of my corruption becomes harder to answer.
    You become corrupt when you start using your powers to do things that are immoral or unethical.

Considering that nobody on these boards will even come close to agreeing on what is "moral" and what is "immoral", we can't really get into specific examples without endless philosophical debates.

For the sake of this discussion... for power to corrupt you, then the baseline for appropriate and acceptable behavior is the current you, and corruption = a downward slide from that baseline. So, think about what you wouldn't do today because you consider it to be immoral, or unethical, or inappropriate behavior. Corruption would be you throwing those standards away, or forgetting them, as a result of having so much power. It wouldn't necessarily happen all at once... it might be gradual.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I AM already absolutely corrupted. I'm just working on the absolute power part.

And yes, I have a loooooooooong list of what I'd do in that position; it's not a theorhetical construct, it's a GOAL.

Co-operation of the populace to my decrees would not be mandatory, it would be - one way or another - IRRELEVANT.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid
    Sure, you can avoid corruption by removing yourself from all situations where corruption might occur. Most people would find that boring, but that would be a route you could take.

You would only be corrupt if you currently think that you are morally obligated to do something like that... If you currently think "that's not my responsibility", then you would be acting just like your current self, rather than a corruption of your current self... if you see what I mean (I elaborate below)

For the sake of this discussion... for power to corrupt you, then the baseline for appropriate and acceptable behavior is the current you, and corruption = a downward slide from that baseline. So, think about what you wouldn't do today because you consider it to be immoral, or unethical, or inappropriate behavior. Corruption would be you throwing those standards away, or forgetting them, as a result of having so much power. It wouldn't necessarily happen all at once... it might be gradual.
    Then it will never be possible to corrupt me, unless you qualify "becoming less Evil" as "corruption" which is usually entirely the opposite of what everyone means.

As the chances of me somehow becoming interested in sex and thus sex crimes is somewhat exponetially less than zero.