New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hexblade warlock is powerful for the wrong reasons and underpowered as a pure cla

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    And what kind of dungeons are you exploring when you're only having one combat encounter over an entire day?
    The expectation that you're exploring dungeons is another one of the ways that the system very much doesn't support generic fantasy, instead being better at a specific style of play.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Hexblade warlock is powerful for the wrong reasons and warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    You're playing a short rest-based class in a game that doesn't feature any short rests.

Even worse it only features one combat encounter per long rest. Meaning long rest-based classes like Paladin and Wizard and other casters can nova like mad.

Accordingly they are getting about 20 spell slots per day to your 2.

This isn't a fault of the class. It's a fault with your group. Or more specifically with your Dungeon Master.

You are expected to be getting between two and three short rests per long rest. At that rest frequency they are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davrix View Post
    No its not the Dm's fault, as i stated above.
    It can hardly be are Dm's fault when we as a party actively try to avoid combat and try to talk, scheme or sneak through any combat we can manage half the time.
    Looking for someone whose feet one can lay the blame is not a helpful endeavor. It is the DM and PC group's shared 'fault' (/decision) to choose to play their game in a specific way. It is the game designer's 'fault' that they chose to give a bunch of different options for character creation/choice which favored different encounter-per-rest ratios (an that sounds like I'm 'blaming' them by saying they did something laudable, but I will criticize their decision a bit. Groups seem to either play 1 combat/day or 12-20, and they chose to balance it at 6-8, which is averaging a bimodal distribution, which frankly isn't that good of an idea).

Honestly, 'fault' isn't the issue. It's simply about recognizing that the decision to choose a SR-recharge class amongst LR-recharging classes (who play the game therefore in a way that favors LR classes) is a vaguely self-hamstringing action.

It's like putting a stock car in the Indy-500--it's not going to perform as well, but that doesn't mean it was poorly designed (for its' purpose).

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    By giving different resource recovery rates to different classes, 5e made the game much more vulnerable to changes in the number of combats/rest.
    This. And that decision has caused no end of these discussions. I doubt this would have actually worked from a book-sales point of view, but from a high-level view, perhaps they should have made a SR- and LR- version of each class, or made more explicit that the Warlock (and maybe some new wizard equivalent) are the SR-equivalents of sorcerers and wizards, and that the two aren't expected to be used by the same groups, or the like.

OTOH, if you do play the game with the 6-8 and 2 SR that they recommend, all the classes really do come out roughly equal. And they haven't been shy about explaining their expectations, and offering alternative recharge mechanics and the like for those who wish to vary their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Squinty View Post
    It sounds like we need to lay the blame on whatever game designer made a class that requires the DM to metagame to for the class to be effective.
    All the classes have that, the warlock (and battle master fighter, monks, etc.) are simply on the other side of a split than the Long-rest recharging classes. Whatever game designer who decided to vary this is/are the ones that looked at how poorly the edition that did otherwise (4e, where everyone had the same recharge mechanics) did in the market and decided to do differently.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Hexblade warlock is powerful for the wrong reasons and underpowered as a pure cla

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    There is quite some dramatic tension in having to continue the fight, even though some of the party is out of ammo.
    As I understand it, the OP's problem is that the Warlock runs "out of ammo" all too often. Easing the dramatic tension to allow the Warlock to constantly reload is a narrative compromise.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

We evidently have a different definition of "meta-game". Mine would be along the lines of "compromising the narrative to exploit or accommodate game mechanics." Coffeelock is meta-game, demanding the DM play a certain number of short rests between each long rest is meta-game. Players blowing all of their resources in what is described as an "all or nothing" fight isn't meta-gaming, it's playing to the narrative set by the DM. The fights are set up as requiring all of their strength and power to overcome (at least that is the gist I am getting from the OP descriptions).
    The narrative?

The 5e rest system is designed to play out like an action story.

If you want a drama or a thriller you're in the wrong place.

Constant rests remove all of the tension from the story. What you deem 'race against the clock' is actually just normal story pacing. There are objectives and the PCs either accomplish them or they don't. Time moves forward. The world reacts to the PCs. You can't enter the orc caves and then take 8 hours out after defeating the guards. The rest of the orcs are going to come and kill everyone. Everything on camera is 'race against the clock'. If it isn't then it's downtime.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    The narrative?

The 5e rest system is designed to play out like an action story.

If you want a drama or a thriller you're in the wrong place.
    I would argue the exploration and social pillars of the game the designers intended would disagree with this assessment.

Constant rests remove all of the tension from the story... Time moves forward. The world reacts to the PCs. You can't enter the orc caves and then take 8 hours out after defeating the guards. The rest of the orcs are going to come and kill everyone.
    On these points we are in complete agreement.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

As I understand it, the OP's problem is that the Warlock runs "out of ammo" all too often. Easing the dramatic tension to allow the Warlock to constantly reload is a narrative compromise.
    Yes, that's how I read it as well, but see the rest of my posts for that. That's a consequence of the choices that their table made, and has nothing to do with hexblade and warlock, and quite little with the system.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The comparison is incomplete, you say your optimizing, but not in the melee example? Using multi-classing to prove the deficiencies of a pure class without addressing the benefits of being single class is silly. Also your comparison only takes into account a power spike in character level at 11th but not bothering to look 12th or higher. If you want to smite more grab full caster or paladin levels after 14th. But for the sake of just the math. I'll assume 12th level, 20 char, with the proper feats and invocations.

Elven Accuracy and 20 char.

Round 1 - Bonus Action Hex Curse - Action Eldritch Blast (3d10 + 15 char + 12 prof) Avg dam 43.5 dam
    Round 2 - Bonus Action Hex - Action EB (3d10 +3d6 + 27) avg 54 dam
    Round 3 - Bonus Action Quicken EB - Action EB - 108 dam is they all hit

Total: 205.5 dam or 68.6 dam /per round

Hexblade:

GWM and 20 char

Round 1 - Bonus Action Hex Curse - Action 2 attacks + smite 4d6 + 5d8 + 20 char + 8 prof - 64.5 dam (+20 dam- 84.5 GWM)
    Round 2 - Bonus Action Hex - Action 2 attacks + smite 4d6 + 5d8 + 2d6 + 20 char + 8 prof - 71.5 dam (+20 dam - 91.5 GWM)
    Round 3 - Action 2 attacks + smite 4d6 + 2d6 + 20 char + 8 prof = 49 dam (+20 dam - 69 GWM)

Total: 185 or 61.6 avg/ round (245 dam or 81.6 dam/round ) and this is without haste (item or party buff) or magical weapon.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I would argue the exploration and social pillars of the game the designers intended would disagree with this assessment.
    Therein lies the problem, and why I refer to the appropriate # of combats/day to design your game/classes for to be a bimodal distribution. From the origins of the game, it has been "about" both 1) crawling down into deep, dank dungeons (often nonsensical ones that belie no IRL purpose) to defeat, bargain with, or sneak past dozens of potential encounters, and 2) hexcrawl for miles across untamed wilderness, encountering 1-2 potential combat (or equivalent) encounters per day. Plus the unspoken 3) (why have those castles if you never have courtly scenes? etc.) social part of it.

No edition has really balanced that well ('that' being balancing between differing encounter frequency). Heck, most games total don't really do it well. Games like Champions/Hero System have an encounter-level recharge (and alternate rules for charges/day, so basically the same 2 options as D&D). Other systems do it other was. But I don't really know any that do two distinct distributions well in one system.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You don't think that people talk and explore in the action genre?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As I understand it, the OP's problem is that the Warlock runs "out of ammo" all too often.
    But the warlock doesn't need the 'ammo' of those two slots, because its other class features that never run dry are souped up enough to get through whole encounters by themselves. It's part of the design balance.

A wizard is like a soldier with a .22 calibre pistol which never runs out of ammunition, but with a limited number of grenades of different sizes. He fights by lobbing grenades, with the pistol for backup.

A warlock is like a soldier who has a .75 calibre hand-held heavy machine gun which never runs out of ammo, but only two grenades, each of the largest available size. He fights by using the machine gun as a lead hose, with the two grenades as backup.

If the warlock soldier tried to fight like the wizard soldier then he'd be out of grenades very quickly. But if the wizard soldier tried to fight like the warlock soldier then his .22 pistol will have very little effect on the enemy compared to that heavy machine gun.

Neither is badly designed. It's just that either one can be badly used, and that's the fault of the DM and player.

Easing the dramatic tension to allow the Warlock to constantly reload is a narrative compromise.
    But that's not how the OP describes his game. He describes a game where the players decide what they are going to do, and mostly choose to use skills and occasionally plan a massive nova fight.

Where is the DM here? If the verisimilitude of the campaign narrative is such a big deal (and it should) then why isn't the world reacting realistically to the party's actions? Why is it the party who chose to fight or not to fight? Why don't the bad guys decide to attack them? Especially after the players foolishly nova in the belief that the only fight they can be in are the ones they start?

And sometimes the PCs are indeed just pottering about town, because it's unrealistic to be against a doom clock for every second of every day. And as soon as there is no time element based on minutes then the PCs get a short rest every hour if they want.

If I was playing a warlock in the OP's campaign I would have enough utility spells to be constantly casting them throughout the pottering about phase, getting short rests roughly every hour and using maybe 16 slots altogether. And when it's massive fight nova time then my long rest mates are bossing the fights while my two slots have done something significant and long-lasting while I spray the bad guys with heavy machine gun fire souped up eldritch blasts and other stuff that never runs out. I'd make out like a bandit! I certainly wouldn't be complaining about how many more slots the wizard gets!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

IMO, any of the short rest focused classes will feel under-rated in the game you describe. That's not really a problem with the game, or the classes, it's just they are not suited to your current campaign. It's really no different than if you played a fighter or barbarian in a game where most of the problems were solved via magic.

Certain classes always have and always will work better for certain styles of play.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    But the warlock doesn't need the 'ammo' of those two slots, because its other class features that never run dry are souped up enough to get through whole encounters by themselves. It's part of the design balance.

A wizard is like a soldier with a .22 calibre pistol which never runs out of ammunition, but with a limited number of grenades of different sizes. He fights by lobbing grenades, with the pistol for backup.

A warlock is like a soldier who has a .75 calibre hand-held heavy machine gun which never runs out of ammo, but only two grenades, each of the largest available size. He fights by using the machine gun as a lead hose, with the two grenades as backup.

If the warlock soldier tried to fight like the wizard soldier then he'd be out of grenades very quickly. But if the wizard soldier tried to fight like the warlock soldier then his .22 pistol will have very little effect on the enemy compared to that heavy machine gun.

Neither is badly designed. It's just that either one can be badly used, and that's the fault of the DM and player.
    I disagree with the analogy.

The Warlock gets a lot more high level slots than the Wizard does. The Warlock will have an average of 6 highest level spell slots per long rest. That makes them the most heavy hitting of the full casters. Wizards will have many low level slots to compensate. They can cast more total spells but their spells have less impact.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

...the campaign has been going on 5 years now and we made the switch from 4th to 5th so trying this rule out wound't break us either.
    One thing I didn't see mentioned yet that I believe has a very impactful effect: OP mentioned this campaign started in 4E and converted to 5e. Those are very different mechanics (not horribly well versed in 4th but this is my understanding).

If you changed games (4th E to 5th counts), but maintained character classes simply because they held the same name, you weren't setting yourself up for success. The character you had, isn't the character you have.

It sounds like you wanted to play either an EK, Paladin or Bladesinger, but played a Warlock instead.

I understand the frustration of not getting to continue a long campaign with the character you started with. I don't think this is the games' fault; I don't think it's really anyone's fault. You tried something and it didn't work out.

Ask the DM if you can switch to a class that plays more to your liking, and better represents the character you had in 4e.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Example 1 blaster hexblade / Sorc Lv 3 hex & Lv 8 Sorc

Now I'm not going to optimize this but for the sake of it imagine a 20 Char score here.

First round, slap him up with the Hexblade curse, quicken EB and fire it twice for 6 attacks all of which will have the chance of dealing (1D10+9)
    Turn 2, slap on Hex and repeat said attack 6 bolts each doing 1D10+9 and then each time you hit Hex triggers for its damage and you get +4 from your Prof... ok yea great blasting range for your close combat warlock subclass.

Nitpick:

Game rules error.

You use your Bonus Action to activate Hexblade Curse. You can cast Eldritch Blast the same round, but you cannot Quicken it in that round because you have already used your Bonus Action.

Round 2: Casting Hex is a Bonus Action. Still unable to Quicken Eldritch Blast yet may cast it normally, but you will have Hex and Hexblade Curse active.

Round 3: Now you can Quicken Eldritch Blast with Hex and Hexblade Curse active.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's not the DM's fault, but it is a case of a game not working as well when used for stuff it wasn't designed for. The gritty realism rules should pull it back to the design parameters, and thus fix this issue.
    Switching to Gritty Realism is a big help in making sure you get a couple short rests in between long rests.

Another one I like is something I stole from Adventures in Middle-Earth. For that game you need Safety from threat of attack, Comfort, and Tranquility for a long rest.

So in my campaign, sleep for 8 hours on the road might not get you the benefit of a long rest, though you will still need to bed down every night to avoid exhaustion. It's just a tool I use to make sure Short Rests happen, and short rest based Classes get their opportunity to shine.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Nitpick:

Game rules error.

You use your Bonus Action to activate Hexblade Curse. You can cast Eldritch Blast the same round, but you cannot Quicken it in that round because you have already used your Bonus Action.

Round 2: Casting Hex is a Bonus Action. Still unable to Quicken Eldritch Blast yet may cast it normally, but you will have Hex and Hexblade Curse active.

Round 3: Now you can Quicken Eldritch Blast with Hex and Hexblade Curse active.
    I tried to show that in my post...with the math :)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

To a degree, I agree. However, the Warlock is at the far end of that particular curve. Battlemasters are a subclass that benefits from short rests, but that subclass rests on the versatile and well-balanced Fighter chassis. Wizards and Druids have enough spell slots and abilities to be able to manage any kind of campaign. Warlocks are sprinters trying to compete in the Decathlon. They're good out of the gate, but, without DM accommodation, they can't compete in the rest of the events.
    Warlock gets in Eldritch Blast basically what the Entire Fighter Class is...
    Maybe sprinkle in the other Invocations to round it out...

While others such as Monk, feels pretty hobbled without their Ki.
    I would say they have it worse than Warlock does.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The Warlock gets a lot more high level slots than the Wizard does. The Warlock will have an average of 6 highest level spell slots per long rest. That makes them the most heavy hitting of the full casters. Wizards will have many low level slots to compensate. They can cast more total spells but their spells have less impact.
    This is patently false yes the lock can have 6 5th level slots BUT he only has 6 slots total

look at 10th level a warlock has 2 5th level slots so with 2 short rests thats 6 5th level or 6 slots total for the whole day, 6 spells

10th level wizard 2 5th, 3 4th, 3 3rd, 3 2nd and 4 1st for the sake of argument lets ditch the "lowly" first level spells the wizard has 11spell slots a wider variety of spells its just better in all ways thats 11 fireballs 8 fireballs if thats less impact i wanna see what you mean by impact

"but invocations" you mean the once a day powers that use spell slots? not worth it the warlock as written will never be anything but a dip class because it is awful after 6th and just ok from 3 to 6 it is one of the worst designed class in 5E. not saying it cant be fun or flavorful but the only worse class is the original ranger. the only way warlock becomes competitive is with houserules
    Last edited by danpit2991; 2018-02-13 at 08:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danpit2991 View Post
    "but invocations" you mean the once a day powers that use spell slots? not worth it the warlock as written will never be anything but a dip class because it is awful after 6th and just ok from 3 to 6 it is one of the worst designed class in 5E. not saying it cant be fun or flavorful but the only worse class is the original ranger. the only way warlock becomes competitive is with houserules
    To be fair, a warlock CAN be competitive without houserules, and for the most part, the only invocation-based spells that use spell slots are the ones that scale with level (also, see below). The bulk of the invocation-based spells that don't scale with level are able to be cast without using spell slots.

Invocation spells with No Spell Slots used:
    • Speak with dead
    • Arcane Eye
    • Freedom of movement
    • Jump
    • Silent Image
    • Alter Self
    • Detect Magic
    • Disguise self
    • Water Breathing
    • Speak with animals
    • Mage Armor
    None of these spells have the ability to scale.

Invocation Spells with Spell Slot used:
    • Bane
    • Bestow curse
    • Conjure Elemental
    • Confusion
    • Fireball via Kiss of Mephistopheles
    All of which scale with the Warlock spell slot used.

Invocation spells that use a Spell slot but don't scale (These are likely restricted for power-level reasons):
    • Polymorph
    • Slow
    • Compulsion

Invocation Spells that could scale, but don't use spell slots (These are likely ALSO restricted for power-level reasons):
    • Hold Monster - You can actually use this more than once per long rest, but you can't target the same creature until after the long rest. However, it's limited to be used only targeting celestials, fiends, or elementals
    • False Life - it explicitly states to be used at first level, and is great for early to mid level locks
    • Invisibility - otherwise your party would always be invisible at all time. It was added in XGtE as a better version of UA's Shroud of Ulban
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This is patently false yes the lock can have 6 5th level slots BUT he only has 6 slots total

look at 10th level a warlock has 2 5th level slots so with 2 short rests thats 6 5th level or 6 slots total for the whole day, 6 spells

10th level wizard 2 5th, 3 4th, 3 3rd, 3 2nd and 4 1st for the sake of argument lets ditch the "lowly" first level spells the wizard has 11spell slots a wider variety of spells its just better in all ways thats 11 fireballs if thats less impact i wanna see what you mean by impact
    This is exactly what I said.

I didn't say anything about invocations.

There are a bunch of duds in there but also a bunch of very strong ones.

Warlock is very well designed and powerful, if a bit complicated. I like that a spellcaster with a different type of spell progression exists.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

No.

Social and Exploration challenges should consume party resources. Maybe the guard needs to be bribed. (gold) Maybe they need to wait for their noble patron to catch up before they get to work. (time) Maybe they need to use magic to impress the king with their superb capabilities as adventurers. (spell slots) Maybe they need to out-drink the local thug to get him to open up about the carta's operations in the city. (HP/Gold/Time) Maybe getting to the tower requires you to forge through an intense thicket of razor vines. (HP)

If there are no resources being expended and/or no consequence/possibility of failure, these encounters are a waste of time.

Should I do a formal write-up of my rulings I made to make gritty realism work in 5e? IE, what I did to handle things like spell duration, magic item acquisition, and the like?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    No.

Social and Exploration challenges should consume party resources. Maybe the guard needs to be bribed. (gold) Maybe they need to wait for their noble patron to catch up before they get to work. (time) Maybe they need to use magic to impress the king with their superb capabilities as adventurers. (spell slots) Maybe they need to out-drink the local thug to get him to open up about the carta's operations in the city. (HP/Gold/Time) Maybe getting to the tower requires you to forge through an intense thicket of razor vines. (HP)

If there are no resources being expended and/or no consequence/possibility of failure, these encounters are a waste of time.

Should I do a formal write-up of my rulings I made to make gritty realism work in 5e? IE, what I did to handle things like spell duration, magic item acquisition, and the like?
    If you want to classify them as "party resources", Time/Gold/HP are consumed (and replenished) with the same rules across all classes. There are also Social challenges that can be overcome with skill checks (Persuasion/Deception/Intimidation/Insight) rather than bribery or magical displays.

The same with Environmental encounters. Intelligent uses of Nature/History/Survival checks can make finding a hidden cave easier. Creative uses of Acrobatics and Athletics skills can overcome a number of physical obstacles.

Not every encounter needs to deplete the party of a material resource (except perhaps Time, which passes regardless of activity)
    Last edited by Mister_Squinty; 2018-02-13 at 05:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok well this sort of exploded on me sense I went to bad last night. And slightly morphed into something I didn't expect but IS a interesting discussion all the same.

There are far to many posts to response to individually at this point but I will do my best to address what topics I've noticed come out of this thread and try to clarify what my problem is when its not 3am.

First - yes my math was a little off in my examples. The point i was trying to get across though was that the Hex-blade subclass (at least I thought) was designed around having a more close quarters combat warlock vs a ranged blast lock. But looking at things no matter how you slice it. It feels like that a range blast lock will always preform better then a close combat lock. Though it seems in my griping I touch upon a much larger issue when it came to 5th's game design.

Second - The table I am at is mostly made up of me and 3 other friends who have been gaming together for about 10 years now and this game started in 4th over 6 years ago and was only switched over to 5th in the past year so as someone said 4th had a much different way of handling recharge and how spells worked. One we greatly enjoyed but as was said. Many did not so they have tried a new system. With how tactical 4th was having one big epic combat every so often didn't effect the party on a individual basis because everyone had the same mechanics and recharge rates. So its has become an issue in 5th ed for us.

Third - The more I think about it. The posts in this threads and from my own dealings in playing things for the past year in 5th at my table and online. The more I personally feel that while I love the bounded accuracy of 5th this split mechanic of short rest classes and long rest classes is not a good idea at all. It leads to the problem I am having and the issues expressed by those in this thread so far. For a system that is very open and extremely easy to home-brew for, this part of the system feels clunky and not in the spirit of the rest of the system. Yes the gritty long rest variant could be a help here but lets take the system as is without that rule. Most other mechanics at the core of 5th play nice and keep things within a certain range of each other most times. I don't like the idea of a short rest for an hour, it just seems silly in most cases that you would suddenly hunker down for an hour in between some fights just so you can recharge. I personally feel 4th ed's vs of short rest worked much better and made more sense to me at least.

The simply answer may be for us to go back to 4th but between the crappy rabbit hole that DND insider has been shoved down and how iffy silver light has become with the online builder. Its not a prospect I would look forward to. I know there is a ton of hate on 4th but for some of us it was really fun. Its all but dead in the water now when it comes to online tools and oh god the amount of books you would have to go through if you don't have a good virtual builder to help you.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

For those arguing that the DMG recommends 6-8 encounters per day, please note that Jeremy Crawford has expressly said otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

multiple errors
    Let's assume that a 2nd level spell is twice as good as a 1st level spell, and that a 3rd level spell is 50% better than a second. In general, this is a very conservative estimate of power. Fireball is more than twice as good as burning hands, for instance.

Wizard 10:
    1st: 4*1=4
    2nd: 3*2=6
    3rd: 3*3=9
    4th: 3*4=12
    5th: 2*5=10
    AR:10
    Total SP:51

Warlock 10:
    5th: 6*5=30

Wizard is better at spellcasting, but it's nothing extreme, and as I said, this analysis vastly undervalues high-level spells. To further illustrate that point, the warlock has infinite casting of many useful low-level spells. It's very easy to picture an adventuring day where the warlock uses a first level spell equivalent without a slot more than ten times.

Nonetheless, let's agree that the wizard is the better full caster.

Let's look at everything that isn't casting.

Cantrips: Warlock clearly gets the better deal here.
    Familiar: Warlock clearly gets the better deal here, if he wants it.
    Hit Dice: Warlock clearly gets the better deal here.
    Proficiencies: Warlock clearly gets the better deal here, with light armor and a better skill list.
    Main Stat Synergy: CHA is actually used for several very important skills, CHA saves are more common and more important than INT saves.
    Base class features: Wizard has arcane recovery, Warlock has invocations. Invocations are better
    Subclass features: Wizard has the slight advantage here, in my estimation.

Overall, I do think that the warlock is a little weaker. But only a little.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You mean Mid-level slots. Warlocks never get high-level slots.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Use the Gritty rest variant rule in the DMG, or turn all short-rest abilities into long-rest ones by multiplying them by 3 and taking away the recharge on a short rest.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Use the Gritty rest variant rule in the DMG, or turn all short-rest abilities into long-rest ones by multiplying them by 3 and taking away the recharge on a short rest.
    Or change how long it takes to get a short rest. For instance you could make your first short rest only takes 5 minutes, your second could take a still short but more noticeable 15 minutes (or choose the exact time that works for you) to achieve, and then all short rests after that take 1hr to compete. The fluffy idea of it is that it takes longer and longer to get your stamina back as you keep pushing yourself during the day but the 1st two rests are short enough that even in groups that do less encounters you should be able to get at least 1 SR and in most games 2 short rests with few problems which makes them compare more favorably to long rest classes while making the long term prospects to be similar to the RAW in terms of overall power of a short rest class.

Then the only games where a long rest class feels like it is really ahead are those that do one fight and then long rest which if common you will probably have problems with all sorts of things anyway.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2018-02-13 at 05:49 PM.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix_Walker View Post
    You mean Mid-level slots. Warlocks never get high-level slots.
    At 5th level the high level slot is 3, at 7th level it is 4, etc. Warlocks follow the same progression for high level slots as other full casters.

They still get them after 11 too, just not as many. Since the majority of the game takes place from 5-10 and most groups don't go much past that I don't see much of a problem with it. By Tier 4 the Warlock is probably falling behind, but game balance is all over the place by that point and it represents a very small amount of game play that it doesn't really matter.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At 5th level the high level slot is 3, at 7th level it is 4, etc. Warlocks follow the same progression for high level slots as other full casters.

They still get them after 11 too, just not as many. Since the majority of the game takes place from 5-10 and most groups don't go much past that I don't see much of a problem with it. By Tier 4 the Warlock is probably falling behind, but game balance is all over the place by that point and it represents a very small amount of game play that it doesn't really matter.
    They get zero spell slots from the 6th-9th spell level. They can never upcast a spell of 5th level or higher.

Low level is 1-3, medium is 4-6, high-level spells are 6-9. Warlocks specifically acquire no spell slots of high level and instead get spell-like abilities.

The Warlock does not use the multiclass progression table, Has the Pact Magic feature, lacks the spellcasting feature and... You know all this already.
    (I have to admit, I'm starting to think people that call Warlocks "Full Casters" are just trolling the rest of us)

People who actually play in the third and fourth tier spend most of their time playing at those levels. Advancement takes much longer the higher you go. Your individual gaming habits don't change that most of a character's chareer is in the higher tiers if you actually play the game through to 20th level. The first tier is mostly getting ready and scrambling for survival, the second teir is almost ready for the real game, at third tier your ready to play with the big boys, and the 4th you are one. The 5-10 levels is when you are getting the training wheels off and just starting to really come online.

My current long-running game took us about 10 game sessions to hit 5, 25 more approximately to 11th, and something like 50 to get us to the current 15. YMMV, but I doubt it would vary enough to say the 2nd tier saw the "majority" of play.
    Last edited by Matrix_Walker; 2018-02-13 at 06:58 PM.