New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: In the Name of the Crown IC

Levini nods solemnly at Balduin's points. "I concur and have no qualms with embarking upon the next segment of our journey on foot. It is better to err on the side of caution here." She dismounts her horse, pats it on the neck and says, "Go home," hoping that the horses are as well trained as Greeken claimed. "I concur that our first approach must be diplomatic given that we are acting as agents of the Crown. Let us approach the city gates as envoys and see if we can resolve this without further bloodshed." While Levini is uneasy about not having her spear in hand, she is confident in her teleportation abilities to escape if there are threats present and begins the trek highly focused on potential dangers.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

As they reach the same spot where Balduin stopped, Kaelan does the same thing, nods at the knight's suggestion and dismounts, speaking again in elven to his mount, instructing it to turn back.
    "A wise choice. Those are fine horses, and it would be a shame if such glorious creatures ended up lost in a conflict against unknown forces; now, if you'll excuse me, I have some incantation to work on."

First of all, the mage centers himself, meditates for a moment and a mystical radiance comes out from his eyes, whirling around him and forming an intangible breastplate of light.

Then the elven arcanist takes a little piece of metal, throws it on the ground and mutters some words; immediately, parts of the earth coalesce around the piece of metal, creating the form of a stony eye. Kaelan puts it in his pocket.

"We can use this rock to spy on the surroundings if needed. Careful though, we can only use it once and after I activate it, it's power will wane after some minute."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Casting Luminous Armor: +5 AC, daylight effect, evil creatures have -4 to hit. Lasting seven hours
    Sacrifice (1d2)[2] Strength damage.

Casting Elemental Eye: the eye will last for seven hours if not used. when activated, it can be used for seven minutes to scan a place.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2018-04-17 at 06:42 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Joining the others, Jule finally pays attention to the fidgeting in her haversack. She'd been ignoring it while the others spoke, but she may be pushing her luck now. As soon as she unfastens it, her black raven flies out, clearly annoyed and perches itself some distance from Sunny and Kaelan. "Come in peace then? Well, likely the most diplomatic path."

She does watch her colleague's spell with interest. There's a bit of conflict in her epression, as if debating an idea.

"So that's why you wanted the telekenisis, Professor." She seems to go back and forth until she takes a deep breath. "I might be able to offer a subsititue, though I beg you not think ill of me. I met him in Mournlands... and better he at my side than out there roaming free. Agni." She turns to the raven while calling out that name. It was watching intently, clearly amused. "Rather they see you now than while strange magics are at play."

The raven flies to her shoulder, where with a flourish and a puff of flames, it transforms into a tiny Imp. Thin and with dark red skin, it moves to stand from its animalistic crouch to a straight stance, followed by a deep, exagerated bow. "A pleasure." It holds it for a sec, then returns to its crouch, where places one of its wings as if tryng to shield him from Kaelan. "Mostly"

Jule turns back to Kaelan, then to the group at large. "Agni's kind are natural voyeurs ("Such rudeness" For a moment it played up fake shock, before returning to an amused expression), invisibility, shape changing, flight. He can carry the eye and let you spy from much better vantage points."
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2018-04-16 at 01:31 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Kaddik dismounts as well and bids his horse farewell. He watches the exchange between Jule and Agni with great interest but feels no negative sentiment — he would, after all, be in the worst position to judge Jule for such an association. "Perhaps when we near the city we can send Agni with the stone to see beyond the city's walls," he adds, perhaps unhelpfully. The druid then removes his long, billowy robe to reveal a far more practical adventurer's outfit as well as a long, whip-like tentacle that extends out from the wrist of his right arm. The tentacle flails around as if enjoying its newfound freedom. "I am prepared."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaelan observes with interest the creature exposed by his fellow teacher. A hint of surprise is hidden under his masked face, not so much for the presence of a being of extraplanar provenience, but because Jule was able to keep such a secret from him for a long time. "I always thought she was a capable woman, but didn't expect something like this..."

He looks at Agni, then at Kaddik's tentacled appendage.
    "Well, Jule, It seems there's more in you than what meets the eye. Planar beings are nothing more then tools in the everchanging relation of the universe. As the Fire gives way to the earth, what comes out from Fernia can shape the very face of Eberron. It is not my place to judge the wisdom of such companionship, and the mysteries are too many to understand the strange gifts of fate."

Kaelan stops again, pondering on his words and the situation. "The planar ties that can bring such a creature into the Mournland are something unforeseen by the latest studies... that may have consequences on our theories about the Sundering..."

As his companions make ready to depart, the elven arcanist shakes himself from his thoughts.
    "I'm sure your creature will be of use if we want to have a better sight of this place. And after all, three eyes are better than one!"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"See? I'm a gift" Jule turns to see a proud, toothy grin, but decides to let him have this one. Besides, by that logic, he was also nothing more than a tool. It seemed to have turned out well, with Kaddik's presence, this was hardly the most worrisome alliance.

"The extra pair of eyes is useful, my students have given up cheating on their exams at this point."
    She offers a brief, coy smile before turning back to Katal Hazath. Slowly, she nods. "We'll see how this goes once we approach, he'll be ready." She closes and secures her haversack, Agni crawling from her shoulder to pack and in an instant, vanishes from sight.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Agni will continually refresh his Invisibility SLA
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2018-04-19 at 12:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

The hike up the mountain is not too physically demanding, but the sense of apprehension given your situation makes it daunting nonetheless. The path winds back and forth up the mountain, with the forest thickening at each switchback. There is something bizarre about the situation. At first it is difficult to isolate what it is, but after a few minutes you realize that you hear nothing but your own footsteps and the wind through the trees —*there has not been an animal noise throughout the trek. As the canopy thickens, Katal Hazath is once more hidden from view, making it difficult to gauge your progress until one switchback abruptly opens into a large clearing in front of the city gates. The walls of the city are forty feet tall of stone and brick, with large doors made of wood and steel emblazoned with an odd symbol. The walls have not been breached and you see no signs of violent entry on the door. Overall, the scene is overwhelmingly grey, with neither colors nor decoration, and no movement is visible.

Spoiler: Jule and Kaelan
    Show
    You recognize that the symbol on the door was used a symbol of solidarity during the gith rebellion and is now used as a sign of strength by the githyanki.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"The very first thing they want others to see is their pride in having cast off their chains..." Unnerving as the hike was, Jule does her best not to show it, simply focusing on the task at hand. Still, once at the gate, she speaks in a hushed voice.

She moves to open the door, but stops before touching it, taking a step back. Best to be prudent. She instead casts detect magic, trying to find any dangers inherent to the door.

Show
    One use of arcane attunement to cast Detect Magic aimed at the door.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Kaddik surveys the scene and is altogether displeased that their stint outside of artificial settlements was so brief. Going from one collection of grey buildings to another, how thrilling. However, he was looking forward to the possibility of entering Khyber and solving the mystery, which kept him focused. Not knowing the proper protocol for this type of situation, he glances around the group. "So... do we knock?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Sir Balduin stops Sunny once they reach the gate. He's happy that so far at least nobody seems to have lost their mind yet, maybe whatever it was that took hold of the previous groups has passed on. Kaddik is the first to speak, to which Balduin replies:"Knock? No. I had something different in mind"
    He then takes a deep breath and starts 'talking' using all of his considerable volume:
    "GREETINGS, oh great Githyanki! My name is Sir Balduin of Buckwood, my companions and I are envoys from the nation of Breland. We have been send here by the crown to once again celebrate another year in the long lasting partnership between the great city Galethspyre and Breland and to ensure that our relationship can continue on as strong as ever. We humbly request these gates to be opened so that we may enter your city and talk!"

Spoiler: Edit
    Show

Frogrunner beat me to it by a few seconds, but luckily it didn't change the scene much, but I did have to add in his question
    Turns out, Ryuuk posted first too, didn't see that until just now
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2018-04-20 at 12:36 PM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Quite fitting" mumbles Kaelan when he reads the symbol. When his colleague stops before the door and starts her incantation, the elf nods approvingly.

"A Wise choice, it is better to wait and see before we ste..."

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    "GREETINGS, oh great Githyanki! My name is Sir Balduin of Buckwood, my companions and I are envoys from the nation of Breland. We have send here to once again by the crown to celebrate another year in the long lasting partnership between the great city Galethspyre and Breland and to ensure that our relationship can continue on strong as ever. We humbly request these gates to be opened so that we may enter your city and talk!"
    "Or that... that can work too."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2018-04-20 at 10:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Kobold

There is no response.

Spoiler: Jule
    Show
    You do not detect any magical aura on the door

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Startled by the greeting, Jule lets Balduin finish his address before she continued concentrating proper. Her mind raced until her fears subside and she shakes her head, if anyone had heard Balduin, they weren't making it known. At least here, there was nothing magical at play either.

She stops concentrating, letting her own spell fade, and slowly looks from the door to the top of the wall, with a hand on her cheek. "They must have heard that, but no one is answering. Suppose we should let ourselves in."

Jule fiddles with the ring for a moment, before tapping her pack. "Have a look around, but stay close." She points a finger to the top of the wall and feels a small breeze from an unseen source.

Show
    Sending an invisible Agni to the top of the wall to look over the parapets and to the other side:

Spot: (1d20+7)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[10]
    Hide: (1d20+17)[37]
    Move Silently: (1d20+9)[24]

CozJa, would you like to send the Elemental Eye up there as well?
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2018-04-22 at 11:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Kobold

Spoiler: Jule/Agni
    Show
    As Agni flies above the wall, he sees Katal Hazath stretching beneath him. Since much of the city is built into the mountain, only a small fraction is visible from the sky. In continuity with its external appearance, the interior of the city is very brutalist and devoid of color, though Agni sees some oddities from the sky, such as floors of building floating in midair. What is bizarre is that there is still no movement in the city — no lights, no flames, no gith at all visible. As he crests the wall, Agni observes that the main doors to the city are barred from the inside, but there does not appear to be any further fortification.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Jule feels the weight on her shoulder before first, then the red creature phases into view. Agni comes back after an initial surveilance with shrugged shoulders. "Not a soul in sight, just more dead stone. Some interesting buildings, a bit like the city, floating and such... Oh, and the door is barred from the inside, you're going to have to break through it. Too bad you're all landlocked." It stretches, flourishing its wings as if to prove a point, then crawls back into the haversack.

Show
    Well, anyone want to try it? I think we can just unlock it from the inside and walk in. Jule could Spider Climb / Dimension Hop + an Acid Splash lock pick.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

When there is no response to his reasonable request, Sir Balduin is a little baffled with out a real plan to move forward. Ask them to let us in, talk all of this out, everybody happy and everything returns to normal, it was the perfect plan. Luckily, Jule's... 'gift' as he liked to call to himself (Balduin still isn't quite sure how to feel about infernal support) really does come in handy and manages to peak over the wall real quick without being noticed.

"The City is abandoned you say? That certainly does worry me! Where would the Githyanki go? We need to investigate this quickly. Is there anyone other than Agni who can get over this wall and who actually has the strength to unlock the gates? If it's true that there is nobody left in this city than this mission could have gotten a lot more urgent than I initially thought!"

Play-by-Post Characters:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levini grins. "This is what I'm here for, I suppose," she says, striding towards the door. "I'll see what I can do." With that she disappears. Now on the other side of the door, she looks around for enemies, spear at the ready. Upon confirmation of the imp's report that the place is deserted, she turns around and searches for a way to open the door, removing the bar that Agni mentioned.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaelan observes the situation as Jule's Imp scout the area.

"I could start a little fire and conjure a mean of scaling this walls out of it, but I believe that a permanent opening would be better, in case we need to turn back quickly."

The elf stops for a moment, considering some things.

"I wonder if the other groups started going mad before, or after interacting with the door."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

About Elemental Eye, for now I don't think it's needed: it will work only for 7 minutes, but we have 7 hours of time to activate it.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Kaddik agrees with Balduin —*the lack of gith in the city certainly makes him less comfortable and, to him, provides further evidence for the involvement of the daelkyr. Something must have happened within to the city itself and the previous inhabitants must have gone somewhere. The lack of gith refugees in the Brelish countryside suggest that they are in Khyber if they remain on the material plane at all. Either way, the stakes in this situation just became much higher and the mission more dangerous. But Kaddik simply nods to the paladin and says, "Agreed."

20. - Top - End - #80

Kobold

Spoiler: Levini
    Show
    You make it to the other side of the door and, as Agni reported, see no movement. The door has a large wooden bar across it — too heavy to lift, but with some effort you are able to push it to the side so that it is no longer blocking both doors. After a minute or so or shoving the bar, you can simply grab one of the large ropes attached to the southern door and pull it open.

After about a minute of scraping sounds, you hear the solid thunk of the bar hitting the ground and the souther door swings open, revealing Levini on the other side.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

"The timeline paints a strange picture, doesn't it? The Brelish delegation went mad, either something got them before they even reached the city, or they reached it, were affected, then someone thought it proper to bar the door." Jule moves a hand to the rapier on her side, as if making sure it is within easy reach.

"Well done, Levini." She walks through the gate, ready as she could be to begin searching the empty city.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, something doesn't add up here."

Kaelan advances following Levini and Jule.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

When the door opens exclaims gleefully: "Well done indeed Levini! These Orien powers truely are marvelous. That's one hurdle cleared!" he and Sunny then walk into the city while listening to the professors their observations. "What we need is more information. While understanding past evens could shed great light on our current conundrum, I feel there are more present issues. Is this city truely abandonded? And if so, where did the Githyanki go. We should check out the other gates to the city, I would be surprised if this is the only one. If we find one that is unlocked than maybe that's where they fled to. If all conventional entrances to the city are locked than all that remains are the tunnels they guard, which can only mean bad news for us." He then slams his fist down as to hit a table that isn't there, he manages to stop just in time before hitting Sunny, who notices and gives Balduin a death glare "We just don't know enough!!! We need to search and hope we either find a githaky we can question or signs of a struggle that indicate as to what happened here! There has to be a reason that turned this once great city into a ghost town."

Play-by-Post Characters:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Kaddik nods once more in agreement with Balduin. "Yes, I agree. But we should travel as a group, I don't like the feel of this. Whatever is responsible for the giths' disappearance could remain in the city," he says as he enters the city as well.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Least I could do," Levini says with an easy grin as she welcomes the party into the city. "Everything looks normal to me but there could be someone or something lurking out of sight. Be at the ready." With that she takes out her spear and sets off toward the city center..

26. - Top - End - #86

Kobold

As you walk through the streets of Katal Hazath, you are struck by its calmness. There is no motion and no sound besides your footsteps, but it's more than that — there are no signs of struggle or panic, which is odd for a deserted city. It is as though every living thing in the city simply disappeared. You find no other exits to the city outside of the caverns in the mountain.

The architecture of the city itself is as bleak as its exterior, dominated by large slabs of grey stone, with only the occasional decoration or artistic flourish. However it is apparent that this is no settlement of the common races — the upper levels of some buildings float several feet from their foundation and there are staircases and streets that appear to be physically impossible to traverse due to their orientation. The city is simultaneously brutalist and alien, a dynamic that makes you profoundly uncomfortable, as though you were never meant to be here.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Abandoned, Absolutely Abandoned" Sir Balduin exclaims loudly "How are we supposed to ensure a good relationship between Breland and Katal Hazath when there are no bloody Githaky to have peace with!" he basically shouts that last part, as if to challenge the city, as if he was hoping for just one Githaky to come out of hiding and proof him wrong "No signs of a struggle, no signs of panic. It is as if they just all up and left this place behind! I'd almost say we should just go back and tell that our mission was half succesful. We may not have found out what the source of the madness was, but one thing is for certain: this city isn't going to attack anyone any time soon. If only it wasn't for that closed gate. If they didn't leave the way we came in, and if they did I see no reason why to close the door behind them in the way that they did, then the only other way out is through the mountains, and, from what I've been told that can't be a good thing. So I say, if we can't find them here we go look for them into the mountains, to make sure there is no ill will or to make sure that whatever took them won't take Breland. To ensure the saftey of everyone! Let's go explore these mountains!" and he raises his arm in excitement and tries to guide Sunny to move forward, though he doesn't budge. Instead he turns his head around and looks directly at Sir Balduin:
    "Now hold on just a minute, Balduin. You can't just 'explore' like that!. Those tunnels are dangerous, the Githaky were supposed to be guarding them and even they are gone and you want to just move in, with no information whatsoever?! That's way to dangerous!"
    "There is nobody here left to ask Sunny! How are we supposed to get that information?! The way I see it, the only way to learn more is to go further!"

Play-by-Post Characters:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Jule listens to Sir Balduin and Sunny's discussion. "We will likely need to go into the tunnels, but that there aren't any signs of a struggle isn't right. Did they march below willingly?"

"They had bureaucrats, leaders. There must be some records written down somewhere. It would give us an idea of at least how long ago this happened, insight on what the Gith did. Lets look for their offices, try to piece a bit of this together before going down there blind."

Show
    The place itself is alien, but is there any building that looks a bit more, official? Maybe a Knowledge to get pointed in the right direction.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2018-04-29 at 07:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levini fights to suppress a smile — how unsurprising that the professor's first thought is of legal records and paperwork. Nonetheless, it was a good idea and one that she had not considered herself — Levini had been prepared to follow Balduin into the depths of the mountains. "That's an excellent suggestion," she says to Jule. "It will be telling whether we find records of their presence here after the date of the arrival of the Brelish delegation."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaelan listens to his companions, all the while breathing the air around him. A sense of heavyness passes into his nostrils, and he tries to cough out what it looks like a far scent of peril.
    "I concur with my colleague, finding documents could be our best bet to understand how all this begun."

The elf stops, then looks at Sir Balduin and his mount.
    "In my days with the Taer Valaestas riders, I've seen many a warrior hero and his steed, you could easily become a living embodiement of our legends, even if the less... serious ones." Kaelan is unsure if his highly respectful way of likening Sir Balduin to an elven hero can be undestood by a foreigner, but keeps speaking nonetheless.
    "Point is... all the warriors like you I met, or read of, were capable of searching for their enemis in many different terrain, some of them even sporting magical powers that gave them insights in the location of our enemies. So, do you happen to be an accomplished tracker? It could give us some help being able to find traces of recent movements."