Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What proportion of people are happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I swear to the Goddess half of the time I don't even understand what you are saying; Am I the only one?

Anyway that's not how radical freedom works, radical freedom demands people to be free but also take full responsibility of their actions. There are rules and rituals created and validated by society that must be followed and respect, freedom doesn’t mean you are allowed to do anything, freedom means that the only person really responsible for your actions is you.

If you use your radical freedom to kill someone you are responsible for that and must suffer the consequences of such choice.
    Must you? What if our friendly neighbourhood psychopathic murderer is smart enough to get away with it?

The theory of radical freedom is a form of reductionism. All human decisions are reduced to the present instant, as if humans aren't motivated by things outside the instant and those motivations act as potent material causes (Aristotle) which weigh heavily in the mind. In the end, in some sense, the efficient cause of the mind, the freely willed cause, can make decisions, sometimes, when they're not being jerked by overwhelming floods of emotion, or physical reflexes (trained or otherwise), or simply a lack of a reason to care about being "good". Deny a person all reason to care about being good and they won't be good, no matter how much freedom you give them, no matter how long you run the experiment of their lives. So in that sense they are free only to be unfree in their freedom to act as they wish and in no other way.
    Last edited by Donnadogsoth; Today at 02:07 PM.
    The mind is a big place, and worth fighting for.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    Must you?
    Must you what?

What if our friendly neighbourhood psychopathic murderer is smart enough to get away with it?
    What about it? What does that has to do with anything?

The theory of radical freedom is a form of reductionism. All human decisions are reduced to the present instant, as if humans aren't motivated by things outside the instant and those motivations act as potent material causes (Aristotle) which weigh heavily in the mind. In the end, in some sense, the efficient cause of the mind, the freely willed cause, can make decisions, sometimes, when they're not being jerked by overwhelming floods of emotion, or physical reflexes (trained or otherwise), or simply a lack of a reason to care about being "good". Deny a person all reason to care about being good and they won't be good, no matter how much freedom you give them, no matter how long you run the experiment of their lives. So in that sense they are free only to be unfree in their freedom to act as they wish and in no other way.
    Well, what if there is no universal good?

Anyway, it's not about being good it's about being the only one respibsible for your actions dispite how absurd life is.
    Last edited by Amazon; Today at 02:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    This is still making the false assumption that people are only depressed because of external circumstances.

You can't "accept a hurt for what it is", when there is no reason for the hurt other than a brain mis-firing.
    Maybe you should reread my post?

I find it interesting that you bold "no reason" there, shows what cultures child you are.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Maybe you should reread my post?

I find it interesting that you bold "no reason" there, shows what cultures child you are.
    maybe you should reread mine.

I find it interesting that you either refuse to believe that someone could be constantly depressed due to a brain chemistry imbalance, or maybe you accept that, but you think they should just accept their lot in life and be constantly depressed.

Most people experience depression as a result of depressing things happening. Some people (a minority) experience depression because their brain is lying to them. Your utter lack of compassion for the second group is disturbing.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    I find it interesting that you either refuse to believe that someone could be constantly depressed due to a brain chemistry imbalance, or maybe you accept that, but you think they should just accept their lot in life(...)
    I'm sorry I'm not very experienced with depression, but I do have a father going thought severe dementia and a mother with what seems to have schizoaffective disorder so I have to ask...

Isn't accepting that you have a problem a good thing? I know it was the hardest part of the treatment for my mother and after she was able to admit to herself she had a mental problem and that there was no shame in that she was able to start to get better.

So, I'm sorry but I don't really get you point.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ."Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the "change your thinking" thing. It's worth noting that it's the basis for most cognitive therapy. The main thing is that "change your thinking" is super challenging and not very easy.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

Sorry for any typos just forearm my wrist and am using voice to text on my phone.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    I'm sorry I'm not very experienced with depression, but I do have a father going thought severe dementia and a mother with what seems to have schizoaffective disorder so I have to ask...

Isn't accepting that you have a problem a good thing? I know it was the hardest part of the treatment for my mother and after she was able to admit to herself she had a mental problem and that there was no shame in that she was able to start to get better.

So, I'm sorry but I don't really get you point.
    Fair enough point. Yes, accepting you have a problem is the healthy thing to do. And in fact, I am saying the same thing (in a round about way). If you are clinically depressed (i.e. a mental illness), it is good to accept that, and not pretend that you just have "regular depression because of life events". It is also very important for your friends and family to accept the fact that you have a mental illness and support you accordingly.

People insisting that you can get over all depression by thinking happy thoughts, and having a proper support network.... well those people cause the shame you speak of. They make a person who is suffering from clinical depression feel like they are a failure for not "just getting over it". They make that person feel like it is their fault.

If someone is clinically depressed, there are medications that can help. Telling that person "you don't need medications, you just need to go for a jog along a forest trail and relax"... well that doesn't help. Making a person feel shame for using medications doesn't help.

And I will stress again that the opposite happens too (probably more often). i.e. doctors prescribing antidepressants to someone who doesn't really need them.