New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DMing Series

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default DMing Series

Hey everyone. I've been working on a video series to help people with some basic parts of DMing.

If anyone has suggestions on particular DMing topics that would like me to cover, post here and I'll see about covering them in a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-FF...KNL2JaNmwryu-U
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DMing Series

Is this to be about DMing (D&D) specifically, or GMing in a more general sense?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Who is your intended audience? Are these beginner courses unpacking basic concepts? Or are you speaking on advanced concepts with fellow veterans?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

He did say Basic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Looks like the target group for DMing 101 by DM Gary is D&D. No other systems have DMs
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    While I am primarily a DM, I have also been a GM, ST, etc. Most of my stuff is designed to be fairly generic however my examples will be primarily D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    Who is your intended audience? Are these beginner courses unpacking basic concepts? Or are you speaking on advanced concepts with fellow veterans?
    The idea would be to give advice to newer DMs. Not brand spanking new (Cause I feel like that has been covered well by other sources), but rather helping people who might have a game or two under their belts.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Looks like the target group for DMing 101 by DM Gary is D&D. No other systems have DMs
    Yeah, the specifics would be to go for D&D, but again I am going to try to keep my topics, explanations and examples as widely applicable as possible.

In other news the next episode is now up. This one is on Expectations and Investment. Working on editing "The High Investment Game" now.

Does anyone have something specific they think I should cover? Should I still try to cover some of the very beginning concepts "What is a D&D game?" and "How to run your first game?" ?
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.