New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: Sunshine for Days

Brazen can't help but chuckle when the topic of Powder Keg's viewpoint comes in. "Somehow that wouldn't surprise me none. Gotta admit if she does bail on us later she puts on ah good act." Time would tell on that. Brazen runs a scan over the water as it's left, just in case, and doffs his helmet to take a sip should it come up clean.

"Anyway there's other vaults like this one dotted around right? What ones do ya know about especially if CPI might have their hooves on them or would have an interest? Lemon Lime mentioned somethin about the vaults were fer experiments which sounds like it could be up CPI's alley dependin on which vaults were doin what."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

The water is pure and refreshing, no poisonous elements whatsoever.

Night Skye clears his throat. “Sorry, but...some of them don’t want outsiders knowing where they are. Some of them were hidden deep, deep underground and only recently just made contact with the surface. Whatever experiments they were running have long been finished.”

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing Brazen brave the water, Sniper felt secure enough to test it in himself. They were stuck in an awkward tango, neither side able to fully trust the other or share all their information. Hopefully, Love wouldn't get lost daydreaming and finish the file transfer soon.

"Which brings us back to the sticking point for both of us." Sniper observed. "Trust. What can we do to earn the trust of you and yours? And along that line, what do all call your land? Our term for it isn't exactly insulting but not complementary either."

4. - Top - End - #94

“Out here, actions speak louder than words. Much louder. Ponies can say whatever they want, but actions are what counts.” He raises his front hooves. “An’ to be fair, you all did destroy the Protocol. If it were just you, I’d be a bit more open. But you all got ponies you report to back home, don’t you? And it’s them I don’t trust.”

-------

The hardware is archaic and software so simple it's almost insulting. But getting it to sync together, that's the hard part. But in the end, Love gets their system to read the phone the same way it reads the turntables. It's held together with the programming equivalent of duct tape, but it works. Now she just has to show the increasingly insistent Shadow how it works so he can fix it himself when it breaks.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    “Out here, actions speak louder than words. Much louder. Ponies can say whatever they want, but actions are what counts.” He raises his front hooves. “An’ to be fair, you all did destroy the Protocol. If it were just you, I’d be a bit more open. But you all got ponies you report to back home, don’t you? And it’s them I don’t trust.”
    "Hence why we don't tell anyone who we work for," Rose comments, not looking up from her notes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Love makes a backup of the phone, wipes it, then downloads the free songs. Luckily, Love isn't entirely dependent on Rose's selection and brought her own music. There are advantages to being a digital hoarder. Ha! And, some pony said that it was a bit much to keep a data bank solely for songs! Now who is laughing?! "Haha!" Woops, did she say that out loud? Love turns to Shadow to see his reaction. Embarrassed, she puts her snout to the grindstone for a second.

She tries her best to childproof the phone. There is no password. There are few clickable things as possible. She wants to try to get the soundboard to control which song plays.

Either way, Love is happy to have such a passionate student. It's the disinterested one's that are difficult. With the patience of a tree, Love will slowly, step by step, walk Shadow through the process of using a phone. She is fine with the idea that it'll take her longer to show him how to work the device than it did for her to plug it into their system.

"...That's why you always check to make sure something is microwave safe first!" A chuckle dots the end of her story. Love rubs her chin. "Hey, Shadow? Do you know how to write and read?" She watches over him with a warm non-judging posture.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2018-02-19 at 01:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"That's a fair stance to take; after all that's happened you have reasons to doubt those to whom we report." Sniper checked his slight frustration and forced himself to relax. Don't get worked up and ruin everything. Deep breath. Stay calm. Stay neutral.

"However, their interests, ours and yours align at dismantling the CPI. So help us prove that and put some action to our words. You've got your hoof on the Wasteland pulse. Where's the CPI gaining a hoofhold and where can we make a difference?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

"Well that's the fun part of our little band, while we do answer to ponies back in Equestria we got much more leeway in how we do things and don't gotta check in with them constantly." Brazen drawls. "Ah think they understand that the way we've done things in the past kept them from doin what really needed to be done and we're the attempt to set things right."

9. - Top - End - #99

Night Skye looks flatly at Rose. “Then you might want to take the words ‘Equestrian Defense Force’ off your shoulder, there.”

“So you can promise that, whatever I tell you, won’t reach whatever ponies are waiting for you back home?” he says to Brazen.

And finally, to Sniper, he says. “Yeah. That info I can share. No problem. You got a map?”

----------

And Shadow is interested! He eagerly swallows down whatever info Love is willing to share. And he picks it up fairly quickly too. Impressionable young minds.

Shadow looks askance at Love and nods. Of course he knows how to read! It would be real hard to work the soundboard if he didn’t.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

A hoof dismisses her obvious question away. Love gives him an sly grin. "Well, Mr. Shadow! I would like for you to type something to me. Anything. What do you want to tell me?" She sets the phone to Text to Voice and offers it to him.

11. - Top - End - #101

Night Skye looks flatly at Rose. “Then you might want to take the words ‘Equestrian Defense Force’ off your shoulder, there.”
    Rose puts her laptop down, removes her armor, tears off the EDF badge with her teeth and ponykinesis, puts the armor back on, picks up her laptop, and goes back to typing notes.

*ptooie* The moist patch is spat onto the floor with a soft splut.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper stared at Rose for a long moment. One hoof ran through his mane. Then he turned his attention to Night Skye.

"You'll have to check with Star about a map. She's the pilot and navigations. If you tell her where to go, she'll get us there.

"By the way, did you hear the one about the snarky private?"

13. - Top - End - #103

Shadow thinks for a moment and begins typing furiously. He hides the screen from Love, though, until he's finished. Then, he hits enter and nearly drops it when it starts speaking.

"Hello, Ms. Love! I am berry." Shadow winces at the mispelt word. "Impressed by what you do with tech. I have never seen anything like it. And you're a good teacher. Will you be staying long?"

-----------------

Night Skye raises an eyebrow at Rose's display. "That was more...emphatic than I expected."

"No I have not," he says to Sniper as Star pulls up a map.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Out of instinct she goes to catch the phone though he seems to have gotten his grip under control.

Love smiles and giddy claps at his first words. She throws her forelegs around him in a hug. "There we go. Hello, Shadow! It's a joy to be your teacher and technician. It's been berry fun." She squeezes him when she says the malapropism. "The tech you will get used to before long. I don't think I'll be here long unless a reason why comes up."

"I'm sorry that the phone has to be used with the soundboard at times. I'd love to be able to get you a personal device someday. Would you like to select a different voice?" She backs away so he can type, or she can see his head.

She'll help him change the settings if he does want a different voice.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2018-02-19 at 07:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Night Skye raises an eyebrow at Rose's display. "That was more...emphatic than I expected."
    "An old saying among my old airship crew was 'Go big or go home'. I think sinking one of the CPI's prized airships is a perfect example of that," Rose says, pausing in her note-taking momentarily. "'Sides, you drive an excellent point that we'd make more allies focusing on the CPI being the villains then on Equestria being the good gals."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Problem: the decision about whether to go incognito or not was out of their hooves. Wildcat would have a say and Two Bits knew the truth.

Which was why he had set up a joke to try and defuse any mounting tension.

"A new drill instructor was giving a shipment of new recruits the lowdown on their new life: rules, regs, expectations-- all that sort of thing.

"They get to the Mess Hall and the drill instructor informs his rookies of its three rules: Shut up, eat up, get up. Now, this drill instructor, he decides to test the privates' awareness. He announces, in his big booming voice: 'Pop Quiz: What's the first rule of the Mess Hall?'

"Without delay, sixty voice enthusiastically respond: 'Shut up, Sir!'."

The corner of Sniper's mouth inched upward in a grin.

"Which is to say: thank you for preventing our upstart newbie drill instructor mistakes by tipping us off to them. You're taking a chance on us. It's appreciated."

17. - Top - End - #107

"I hope so, it's a lot to take in."

"I've got along just fine without it so far," he 'says', "I won't mind. This is weird. Very weird. And the voice sounds like a robot."

He flips through the different choices and settles on a foreign accent, one he'd never have had the chance to hear before. Germane.

-------------

Night Skye, a little put off by Rose's...intensity, focuses on Sniper for the moment and chuckles at his joke. "Funny. I'll have to use that one."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

She smiles at him. "You're doing great. You're a quick learner."

"Oh, I know, Shadow. We wastelanders survive. It's what we do. I hope you're not taking this the wrong way. I just wanted to show you something from across the hot sands. One of my friends uses the voice to text and text to voice because she doesn't know how to read. It's interesting to see the program used for different reasons."

She smiles as he settles on a voice. "Perfect! It'll only be weird until you get used to it! I hope you have some fun messing with your family." Love puts a hoof to her chin.

"I got her a bunch of different tutoring programs to help her out when I'm not around." She looks gloomy as she processes the next line. "I've been a bit busy the last couple days. I... Anyway! Would you like some educational programs too?" She smiles. "I have them so we might as well use them."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

“So you can promise that, whatever I tell you, won’t reach whatever ponies are waiting for you back home?” he says to Brazen.
    "That would depend on whether it be relevant to the mission or not ah guess. Personal info ain't high on the list compared to details that could affect the mission." Brazen tries to think on how Red Tapes reports tend to go. "In the end we still gotta send reports back but we've got more autonomy than yer typical squad of military grunts..." Brazen trails off has he watches Rose's display for a moment, probably imagining the Commander's reaction or hells Kittyhoof's. "... Which we've earned several times over by choosin what felt right rather than stick to military doctrine."

"Actually better question is which ponies are you concerned about info gettin back to? Pretty sure ah can say with confidence the Princesses want to mend relations with the Wasteland considerin we're here like this, if we wanted to just nail CPI no matter the cost there'd be a lot more of us rollin over the Wastes."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I've got plenty of others if you ever want the material. And Star is a master of puns as well as communications. We're not all guns and explosions. We'll also will do anything to protect our allies.

"Brazen tackled a monster to save my life. Rose assaulted a station full of hostiles, after getting a leg blown off, to save some hostages. Love charged into a death-trap war-zone to save a family member and lived to tell the tale. Star single-hoofedly organized the rescue of stranded soldiers.

"We'll do the same for you." Sniper tapped a hoof on Star's map. "You give us the chance and we'll show you that we're more than talk. We'll prove ourselves to you.

"And if you want some comedy material, hey, we can do that too. Free of charge."

21. - Top - End - #111

Rose finishes up her notes. Hopefully this meeting is over.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #112

"No, no, thank you," he replies, "This will help. And yes, I'll take whatever you're willing to give." True Wastelander. Never turn down a gift.

-----------

Night Skye shrugs. "Made a promise to keep some things secret. Don't intend to break it."

Star grins. "Yep! And here's one. What do you get when you line up a bunch of male rabbits and make them step back? A receding hare line!"

The stallion takes a moment to get it, then he chuckles. "You all seem alright. Like I said, I'll point you towards any CPI installations I hear about."

23. - Top - End - #113

"So, first and last question from me; what's your motivation to help us?" Rose asks. "You know why we're here. What are you getting out of this team-up?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #114

He chuckles darkly. "You think I have the power to take on the CPI? Think me or my family could have brought down that ship? And if half of what you've shown me here today is true, then that's only the first of the horrors they've got waiting for whoever takes them on." He gives Rose a wry salute. "Best of luck, Equestrian..."

25. - Top - End - #115

Apparently he's seen something and/or been directly affected by the CPI. Rose looks at her companions. "I asked my one."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Then I think all that's left is for Love to finish her hot-wiring,*" Sniper said. "and we'll get out of your, ahem, hair."

He was tempted to point out that they didn't need luck since they were the EDF. But he let it go. It was best to end things on a friendly note and not overstay their welcome.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    Which Auto Correct insisted is actually a hot wife.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

"It's no problem, sweetie. I'm glad you like it. Let's try to wrap this up, hm? If my friends haven't gone insane from the wait, they'll be getting close to kicking down that door to free themselves from boredom." She smirks. "I'm joking. I'm joking. Let's take our time and do this proper."

Love will install what programs she brought and teach him how to use the ones that teach how to use a phone.

"Alright! New Project! Last step! I need to adjust this", she pulls a hologram projector out of her saddlebag, "hologram projector to be able to recharge off your system, alongside everything else. How about we do that, set the thing up to receive (picture, video, holo) transmissions from us, and then, we'll see if your grandfather(?) is alright with us leaving the thing behind to better facilitate the information we give him."

Once Love is done, she'll get Shadow to escort her out and tell Night Skye that his new songs are installed. "How about you tell Night Skye the news?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Scope must think Love moves pretty fast if she is already wifeing Star.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2018-02-20 at 05:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Shadow watches the hologram projector with wide eyes. That seems to be a common reaction around here. He nods and will help Love set it up. She's won him over at least.

When they return, Night Skye smiles at him. "Everything set up?" Shadow takes a moment to type, drawing a raised eyebrow from Night Skye. "That's a fancy thing you got there. Does that--

"Yep! Everything set up."

Night Skye's mouth stops mid-sentence and hangs open. "Well I'll be."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"As I said, we're more than guns and explosions. We can do a lot of good if allowed." Sniper said.

It was a guess at the overall picture, true. However, given the pieces of the puzzle that he held, one he felt safe in making.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Love gives a really big old smile at the scene in front of her. It's so beautiful! She can almost feel tears coming.

Scope seems to be working some type of angle so she stays quiet and waits out her turn to speak.