Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Would You Play In Your Own Game?

If yes, what does this say about you as a GM?

If no, why, and what does this say about you as a GM?

For me... Yes, I would. It wouldn't necessarily be my FAVORITE game, because I tend to run seat of my pants style, and I don't mind a game with more preset details. But I feel that I've got a reasonable grasp of making a game fun, and have enough experience that I could make a game I myself would enjoy. There's definitely better GMs out there, DEFINITELY in terms of prep work and also definitely in terms of improv, but I'm not bad, in my opinion.

I think this says that I still have a lot of room to grow as a GM, but am not in a bad spot. I should probably put more work into my games (though that's a mite hard with working two jobs) before running them, and should probably make longer/more detailed posts, but I'm doing okay.
    STARTED A NEW JOB RECENTLY! POSTS WILL BE SLOW!

I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by AsteriskAmp, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Would You Play In Your Own Game?

I'm in a similar boat. I run a very... "rules accurate" game, full of new content (and, not infrequently, a few rules changes) to Explore. But... I'm not the best GM, and I don't enjoy GMing. So... 5-15 clones of myself, all arguing over who has to run the game vs who gets to run Quertus, would be entertaining in its own right, but, as you said, while I'd play in and enjoy my own games, they probably wouldn't be my favorite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd be happy to play in any game, at this point.

I'm running a frontier-wilderness sandbox right now, and I think I'd enjoy playing a similar game as well. I miss focusing on one character. I always thought that DMs run the kind of games they wish they could play in.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Of course. If any GM would not play in their own game, it seems a red flag. I could see exceptions to that like a prepublished module the GM has read through or played before, but if the game is not something the GM would play, why are they running it?

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    +1 to this.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    As a DM who falls under the situation Fable Wright calls "Single DM Syndrome" (whereby you're the only member of your group willing/capable to run games) with my local group, I do feel a similar notion.

I would play in my own games if that were an option. They're usually well thought out adventures, though there are occasional silly moments.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry
    Avatar by me - Springboard Jackie

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

No way! That jerk bails on the game too much to deal with "emergencies at work", and when he does sit down to play he acts all exhausted.

I hate that guy
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    ...2d8HPos: the whole world is my lawn and I set it on fire!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    +1 to this.
    +2 yes, I'd love to play in any Exalted game, if I had the power to make five clones of myself, I'd totally do that and start discussing with them "ok which of us is going to be GM, and which one will get which Exalt, we all agree no Solars right?"
    "But we're all the same person, how are we going to decide?"
    "Well we all want to play Adamant Caste right? we make five adamant caste Exalted and play a game of saving Autochthonia, done."
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 20!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to think I'd enjoy my own games. I run them as I wish other DMs would run them, within my ability. I try to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Usually. I've GMed a couple of games in genres I wouldn't like to play in because my players liked those genres, but with those few exceptions I'd happily play in my own games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd do it. It'd be a fun learning experience. It'd be fun to see what kind a DM I actually am, versus what kind I think I am.
    Recapping or summarizing helps my own understanding, to ensure I'm learning what people are saying. I apologize if I misrepresent you or your position while working through the topic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

I would play a game run by me as a DM/GM.

However, I have the opposite problem of a lot of people. I prefer running games over playing in them. Most of the time that I play in a game I think about how much more fun it would be to run the game and I think primarily about what I would do if I was running. So while I would enjoy the game, I would still be wanting to DM rather than play.
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    No way! That jerk bails on the game too much to deal with "emergencies at work", and when he does sit down to play he acts all exhausted.

I hate that guy
    Pretty sure you just channeled everyone on the board over 30. We all work to damn much.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by redwizard007 View Post
    Pretty sure you just channeled everyone on the board over 30. We all work to damn much.

Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm probably guilty of running the game I wish I could play in, sometimes.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

Planet Mercenary RPG Discussion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redwizard007 View Post
    Most everyone on the board, really. I'm not 30, but I've worked my fair share of 70-80 hour weeks, and there's not a lot of prep (or gaming) that happens those weeks.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I'm probably guilty of running the game I wish I could play in, sometimes.
    Considering how many people here are clamoring for a game, I wouldn't feel guilty. Maybe if you rubbed in the fact that you are running a game where they can't be players into their faces a bit.

I'm going to buck the trend and say...I try to, but I'm probably not good at it. I like making settings, and I fear this bleeds over into my play style. I like to think I am at least aware of it and try to be respectful of the DM's work and creativity, but I'm probably not very good at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Well, not while I was running it, but yes.

If someone ran my game for me, then I would certainly play in it. I run what I do because I enjoy it, and nobody else runs it, so I never get to play it. It's okay though, I greatly enjoy running games too.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2018-02-15 at 12:10 AM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate that guy
    You know, I was going to make a complicated post, detailing the effects of different GMing skills that one enjoys vs has, but, really, this is is a far more accessible and succinct way of pointing out that one is not always the GM that one might prefer.

Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Words that should echo throughout all eternity.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Trick question ? Technically DMs already play in their own game. Including if they wish to as an NPC adventurer as part of the players for whatever reason .

If you mean the house rules , the setup the world and npc,s I made then yes .
    But it is no longer my game when a DM takes over even if he uses all that .
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2018-02-15 at 02:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

...huh. That's a really interesting question. I like it.

I think I'd play in my games, yeah. I'd be a little frustrated on occasion when it seemed like I the DM was underprepared, but I always try to set the game up in a way that appeals to me. The one thing I'd really appreciate is the narrative freedom I give my players.
    Angel of Justice avatar by OhMyGodI'mOnFire

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd definitely play in my own games. I always make sure that my games are things that I'm enthusiastic about, so I'd definitely jump at the chance to play in one of them.
    Are you a PTU fan who likes play by post? Well, we've now made a forum specifically for you. Come check it out, and join the community!

List of Magic Items. Only Mostly Useless...

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, my preferences as a player are very similar to my preferences as a GM. Though the player me would probably wish the GM me was less freaking lazy...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I would not really want me to gm for me, the same way that I wouldn't want a gm that I know so well, I could practically read the mind. No real surprises, no real challenge in that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Why wouldn't I want to play in the campaigns of the best and most humble Gamemaster I know?

The other way around though, I really wouldn't like to run a game for me as a player. Too egocentric and spotlight-hogging.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the underdog of war

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I run the kind of game I'd like to play, so if I encountered an alternate-universe clone of myself I'd absolutely take a seat at their table. It'd be nice to have a GM who gives plenty of opportunities to roleplay and integrates character backstories. Sure, maybe I could take a reasonable guess at the overall shape of the campaign, but I also have a penchant for last-minute sudden bouts of inspiration so I'm fairly sure I could surprise myself.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

i actually do, i setup scenarios and run multiple character types though them. i do solo runs and standard team comps to get a feel for them.

the trick is to separate what I know with what my Character knows. each character has a particular preference to a specific number (1-10) for RNG and that /# of choices indicates

if i want to build a story i break out things like a zombies board game for dungeon design (its a tile game), roll on encounter tables and place the resulting mess in the dungeon in a balanced fashion. just because my i know the trick to the puzzle doesn't mean my characters do.

some of my favorite scenarios i have done:
    Colosseum: many people have been kidnapped by a wizard with a demiplane, he "humbly" requests that you fight to the death and those that survive shall face his challenges (massive campaign WIP)

Seashore Siren: multiple people have have gone missing from a seaside community, your group has been asked to investigate (based on Sally sells seashells by the seashore; Sally the siren sell enchanted shells that tell people to go into the water at night where sally kills them, regains any shells, and sells them again.)

How much would could he chuck?: a wizards pet woodchuck has gone berserk after an experiment and run off to the nearby enchanted forest, he has asked that you go and bring him back alive. he must be knocked out before using a specialized ointment to dispel the effects of the experiments. (there is more in the woods than just the woodchuck, and he chucks trees at the party; how many? as many as you let him MUAHAHAHA)

these also allow me to make my "troll" characters and test them in a "live fire" example. (sometimes just munchkin characters too)
    Christopher moss tree: the hide in plain sight coniferous treant who wears crystal armor.
    the 1 armed pixie barbarian: uses a whip-dagger and greater flyby attack
    As small as possible: using dnd-wiki and dndwiki sites i found traits to reduce the size of a pixie by 2 plus a continuous use item to make a fine sized pixie warlock.

muchkin chars:
    great crossbow sniper: crit on 10-20x4 critical 2-3 times per round
    know all the things: erudite/archivist for trip 9s.
    THE master thrower: crapton of throwing daggers that deal SA + (stacking) bleed damage.
    the dervish: need more than 100 ft movement to deal each attack during a deverish dance since has 20+ attacks per round.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassoonHero View Post
    No, the problem is that the limit one can achieve with physical brute force from a human body is low, very, very, very low, so obviously someone pursuing strength via muscles is not going to get far.
    This is certainly true in 3.5, but I don't think that it's an inevitable feature of the fantasy genre. Look at wuxia. Look at mythology. Look at what "peak human" means in the DC universe. I think that "strength via muscles" can do some pretty amazing things if the system allows for it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm currently running two campaigns. One is going into its fourth year, and as a consequence uses a system I no longer enjoy much. I'd play it, because I haven't been a player for years, and I miss it. The other I'd play with unequivocal relish, though I'd be sad to be coming a little late to it.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yes! Though, because DMPCs are frowned upon, when I get the urge I usually just remind myself that there is nothing stopping me from writing a novel (or recording my results in a truly solo game).

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfFighterGuy

In a heartbeat, although I'd like to play darker games than I feel comfortable running for my friends. I'm definitely missing being a player, but thankfully I've been able to foster a play style that encourages new DMs to step in and try their hand, all in the same world even.

I've also figured out how to channel my desire to play DMPCs satisfactorily. They're called villains.
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2018-02-16 at 10:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

How are we interpreting this question?

Literally?
    Then no when possible, because DMPCs get a bad rep, and I don't want to spoil the fun for my players. Sometimes, I've had no choice but to become part of the party, but in the event I do so, I try to play a support role, and work my way out of the party dynamic at the earliest convenience.

Would I play in a game that is like the games I run?
    Yes. I make the games I want to play and try to find like minded players. It usually works out. My sandboxes are huge, and my dungeon-divers are action packed. I reward players for being creative and thoughtful, using their skills wisely, and interacting with the world I create, and my campaigns do not require mad optimization skills to play. I'm always careful to make time for the players' back story to integrate with the plot when possible, and I make sure the spotlight lands squarely on the PCs, not the DM. It's my world, but it's their story. I win when everyone has a great time, and still talks about their special moments in the game years later. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I'm the kind of DM I'd be a PC for.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry