New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Is it legal to add material from one setting to another setting?

I always thought if you were in Eberron, you ban all Faerun books and vice versa. But a lot of these books contain content that is independent of their setting. Regional feats, dragonmarks, Prcs, and the like are obviously tied to the setting but a lot of other stuff like spells and feats are not.

So do the rules say it's ok to add the non setting specific stuff like class, feats, spells, etc. from one setting to another setting? Or is that illegal?

With spells I can easily "import" them by letting my players research those spells, but there's no research for feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is it legal to add material from one setting to another setting?

Uh... Illegal? Everything is legal in D&D, it's all up to the DM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Eldaran View Post
    Uh... Illegal? Everything is legal in D&D, it's all up to the DM.
    I am the DM but I like to play a no house-rule/homebrew game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Legal? Sure. I've never come across a rule saying you couldn't. Most tables don't allow setting books unless they're playing in that setting, but that doesn't stop you from allowing whatever you want.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by gogogome
    So do the rules say it's ok to add the non setting specific stuff like class, feats, spells, etc. from one setting to another setting? Or is that illegal?
    I’ve done it, and I haven’t had any Inevitables show up at my door.

I don’t think there’s any rule as such that you absolutely can’t mix material between settings. A lot of people, and probably most people in the Playground, borrow liberally from sourcebooks irrespective of setting.

There are certainly DMs who won’t accept material outside of the particular setting they’re using, but that’s a personal preference rather than a formal game rule. I had one DM who wouldn’t accept a single item, feat or spell from any Forgotten Realms sourcebook, because his campaign wasn’t set in the Forgotten Realms. That would probably be considered an extreme approach by a lot of people, but it was his game and his call.

Some feats won’t operate outside of a given setting because they’re tied to some aspect of that setting—dragonmarks being a prime example. And you might have trouble using the Warforged Juggernaut PrC in a setting with no warforged. But of course some people will see these examples as challenges rather than strictures.

So if it's your game and you want to include something, by all means grab it. It's your game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    I don't see how that is even possible. There are too many typos, vague statements, and just flat broken things in the rules. The DM has to correct and clarify all those things, and his interpretation won't match any other DMs rules exactly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Your example is a bad one OP, since Eberron states specifically "if it exists in other dnd settings, it has a place in eberron". Beyond that, no there arent any rules against using setting specific bits in a different setting
    Useful tips and hints for those wanting to try DDO out but are new (click the link and help my friend get 1 step closer to becoming a full time blogger) :)
    http://mylifeinstormreach.blogspot.com/

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by umbergod View Post
    Your example is a bad one OP, since Eberron states specifically "if it exists in other dnd settings, it has a place in eberron". Beyond that, no there arent any rules against using setting specific bits in a different setting
    Do you have a page number and book name for that quote? Because that quote is exactly what I'm looking for. I am away from books atm so I'll need to look it up online if you give me the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    I don't see how that is even possible. There are too many typos, vague statements, and just flat broken things in the rules. The DM has to correct and clarify all those things, and his interpretation won't match any other DMs rules exactly.
    Gentleman's agreement gets rid of all the flat broken things. As for the other things, extensive rule lawyering does bring things to a conclusion.
    Last edited by gogogome; 2018-02-15 at 12:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Is it legal to add material from one setting to another setting?

No, you can't do this...the Inevitable of cross-setting contamination will come after you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Thurbane
    No, you can't do this...the Inevitable of cross-setting contamination will come after you!
    And here I was just trying to think what that Inevitable would look like. I had an image of a mechanical skeleton armored in iron plates, each one deeply stamped with a page of rules text from the DMG.

11. - Top - End - #11

Do you have a page number and book name for that quote? Because that quote is exactly what I'm looking for. I am away from books atm so I'll need to look it up online if you give me the information.
    If it exists in D&D, then it has a place in Eberron.
    A monster or spell or magic item from the core rulebooks
    might feature a twist or two to account for Eberron’s
    tone and attitude, but otherwise everything in the Player’s
    Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual has a place
    somewhere in Eberron. Also, this is the fi rst D&D setting
    built entirely from the v.3.5 rules, which enabled us to
    blend rules and story in brand-new ways.
    Eberron Campaign Setting p.11

Unfortunately it's not as clear cut as you'd like it to be. The first sentence covers everything, but the elaboration only includes core rule books.

You can always rule lawyer that the core rule books are just an example and focus only in the first sentence.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Nah, it's fine. We don't need house rules. The monk is already powerful enough as is; why give it proficiency in unarmed strikes? A melee class with medium BAB and a -4 penalty on all attack rolls makes perfect sense.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

D20 is build to be modular, so (most) everything works based on the core system.

It´s not illegal, but rather a thing based on style and taste. What do you want to import, fluff or crunch? When the fluff has meaning, then going setting x-over is a no-go. When it´s all about the crunch and you're into refluffing, the all is fair game.

(Remember, WotC did this to sell you more books)

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    D20 is build to be modular, so (most) everything works based on the core system.

It´s not illegal, but rather a thing based on style and taste. What do you want to import, fluff or crunch? When the fluff has meaning, then going setting x-over is a no-go. When it´s all about the crunch and you're into refluffing, the all is fair game.

(Remember, WotC did this to sell you more books)
    Well my player wants to use some stuff in Races of Faerun, but adding that book to Eberron or Greyhawk is out of the question since that book is full of region specific stuff tied to FR, and the races in there are really tied to the region specific stuff. But some of the feats are not tied to the setting in anyway, but a lot of the feats are.

So like allowing the book is a no, taking only small parts of it feels iffy, and as much as I like to accommodate my player, I just can't get over this OCD of mine so I'm reaching out to this forum to see if there is a way to make everyone happy.
    Last edited by gogogome; 2018-02-15 at 02:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Well my player wants to use some stuff in Races of Faerun, but adding that book to Eberron or Greyhawk is out of the question since that book is full of region specific stuff tied to FR, and the races in there are really tied to the region specific stuff. But some of the feats are not tied to the setting in anyway, but a lot of the feats are.

So like allowing the book is a no, taking only small parts of it feels iffy, and as much as I like to accommodate my player, I just can't get over this OCD of mine so I'm reaching out to this forum to see if there is a way to make everyone happy.
    It's your game, your table, your players: you know more about what will work than we do.
    Personally, I draw the theoretical line at fluff differences. If a certain piece of mechanics is tied to fluff that doesn't fit in my game, it's not allowed. Sure, you can refluff things and sometimes it works but usually it just feels weird and uncomfortable. If you don't want to allow stuff from a book, that's fine. There are good and bad reasons to disallow stuff in a game, and "I don't like it" is a good one. "it doesn't fit in the game" is just about the best reason you can have.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

So I think the important thing to note here is that mechanics and fluff are by and large separable. Some mechanics imply the existence of an organization or god. For example, Jade Phoenix Mages (iirc) have their own, semi-defined organization within their rules text. However...you could easily slot them under the Church of the Silver Flame in Eberron. Not a particularly difficult lift.

The point being - D&D rules are all compatible (*glares at Serpent Kingdoms*). Occasionally fluff will seem to get in the way. Don't let it. If someone wants something that seems setting specific, let them take it, but add something to the setting you're playing in. It's more fun that way anyway. We're playing make believe anyway (ish).

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ve done it, and I haven’t had any Inevitables show up at my door.
    +1. I chuckled.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

I want one.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'd like to add that d&d specifically says to refluff everything to your campaign. Check out every PrC ever made. Every single one of them says "Adapt this to your campaign by removing the race restriction, remove the organization restriction, change ___ and ___ to be more evil" etc. etc.

So if the feat exists in a different setting and is not tied to particular fluff, just put it in your game because
    1. It is official
    2. It is "balanced" since it's official
    3. There is no homebrew because it's official.

If it is tied to a fluff then you refluff it because by RAW, you the DM, have to refluff it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    2. It is "balanced" since it's official.
    Heh. Good one. *further glaring at Serpent Kingdoms*
    Last edited by RFLS; 2018-02-15 at 03:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Waht. I put it in quotations!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Why? 3.5E players have developed a very unhealthy obsession with being empowered to use any kind of material, as longs as it´s WotC. That's extremely bizarre when it comes to "gm books" like BoVD or Serpent Kingdoms.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Why? 3.5E players have developed a very unhealthy obsession with being empowered to use any kind of material, as longs as it´s WotC. That's extremely bizarre when it comes to "gm books" like BoVD or Serpent Kingdoms.
    I was cherry picking, to be honest. In reality, even sticking to, say, Core + Races + Environment books + Completes + Setting Cores (Eberron, Faerun) is enough to allow some characters to snap the game over their knee, if the player so chooses.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2018-02-15 at 03:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was cherry picking, to be honest. In reality, even sticking to, say, Core + Races + Environment books + Completes + Setting Cores (Eberron, Faerun) is enough to allow some characters to snap the game over their knee, if the player so chooses.
    Fixed that for you.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Given that Faerun has had "armies of construct soldiers" in its own history (the Raumathar Empire had them) refluffing a Warforged to be one of those soldiers (or, a construct built by some other group who has access to Raumathar magic, like the Witches of Rashemen), is not that hard.

I played a Warforged in a 4e Faerun game.

Similarly - Greyhawk has more than one elven race - so there's room for giving Greyhawk's "highly intelligent elves" (called gray elves) the Sun Elf racial feats, region rules, etc, or Greyhawk's own "wild elves" some of the stuff Faerun's wild elves have.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-02-15 at 07:28 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think it would be helpful to stop thinking of it as allowing or disallowing entire books. For most books, it doesn't make sense to think of them that way (the exceptions being books that basically just have rules for a new system like XPH, Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, ..., since those are very focused around their particular schtick).

Instead, you should start by figuring out a list of things you'll definitely allow and definitely won't allow in your games, and everything else you should evaluate on an individual case-by-case basis. So it becomes your players' job to find something in the gray area that they might want to use, and you just have to look at the feat or spell or item (or whatever) in question and decide if it fits in your game or not.

That way, you can (for example) allow the dwarf-related options from Races of Stone without opening up goliaths and whisper gnomes as player races if you don't want to. Or you could ban all the martial initiator stuff from Tome of Battle but still allow players to take the Superior Unarmed Strike feat.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2018-02-15 at 11:14 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought if you were in Eberron, you ban all Faerun books and vice versa. But a lot of these books contain content that is independent of their setting. Regional feats, dragonmarks, Prcs, and the like are obviously tied to the setting but a lot of other stuff like spells and feats are not.

With spells I can easily "import" them by letting my players research those spells, but there's no research for feats.

Its usually a case by case decision.

For your specific example of using Races of Faerun Stuff on Eberron, I`d say those that have a very similar equivalent of culture/Region on Eberron should work well.
    Those that dont fit because of X dont.

Everything in between can be argued one way or another, but honestly, the "Races of... Books are some of the smaller offenders balancewise, so it should not be a big problem unless, as mentioned above, it REALLY clashes with the fluff. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Lovely pic. ^^
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-02-15 at 02:02 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

I just can't get over this OCD of mine so I'm reaching out to this forum to see if there is a way to make everyone happy.
    I'm saying this out of pure regard for your long-term well-being: your best route by far is indeed to get over it. Adjusting your game so both you and the players maximize your fun is far more important than what books you use to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Anything that requires GM intervention (refluffing included) isn't readily available to the players.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that many settings are connected. For example, the Plane of Shadow holds a link from Eberron to the Forgotten Realms, allowing characters to have feats and such from both worlds (and even membership in organizations of both).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, my poor friend. If you run everything Rules as Written, you will have a nigh-unplayable mess of a game.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.