New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I don't think the concept of "control" of something even applies to anything that isn't on the battlefield or stack. A card exiled by Ixalan's Binding or similar is just in exile, not controlled by anyone.

The definition of ownership in the game is the same as it is outside the game. The owner of the card is the person who brought it to the game and will take it home (or sell it, or throw it in the trash, etc.) afterward.
    Smallest of nitpicking: Not quite true, Tempest Efreet and Timmerian Fiends do exist, after all.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Smallest of nitpicking: Not quite true, Tempest Efreet and Timmerian Fiends do exist, after all.
    Yes, but ante is silly.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Yes, but ante is silly.
    And I thought Ante was removed from MTG official rule, no longer allowed? Like Manaburn.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    And I thought Ante was removed from MTG official rule, no longer allowed? Like Manaburn.
    It's still in the comprehensive rules (section 407 if you really care), where the very first subsection specificity calls out that it is strictly forbidden by tournament rules. Even if you are playing casually it also notes you are only allowed if local laws would permit it.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2019-06-24 at 02:09 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Two questions:

1) What is the opposite of weenie’s deck play-style-wise?

2) What is a death and taxes deck?

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Two questions:

1) What is the opposite of weenie’s deck play-style-wise?

2) What is a death and taxes deck?
    Two answers:

1) Big tall boys. Height over width.

2) Black-White removal/self sacc and life drain. Based on the Orzhov, who are undead bankers and thus represent the two inevitabilities in life.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-06-24 at 03:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    2) Black-White removal/self sacc and life drain. Based on the Orzhov, who are undead bankers and thus represent the two inevitabilities in life.
    Incorrect.

Death & Taxes is a white weenies deck focused on the opponent of lands and creatures, often through Flicker effects and things like Flickerwisp and Mangara of Corondor. The term for the deck came from a tournament goer in Lorwyn saying there were three inevitablities: Death, taxes, and white weenies placing at tournaments. It has changed to mana denial over sheer aggression over time, but the deck is still named such.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Two answers:

1) Big tall boys. Height over width.

You're correct on the first one, but as Fabe Wright mentioned, wrong on the second. The second is more like an aristocrats deck.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Black white control in olde circles was Deadguy Ale. D&T played black and white in modern for a while before Eldrazi replaced the black part, Eldrazi and Taxes is the most common form now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Incorrect.

Death & Taxes is a white weenies deck focused on the opponent of lands and creatures, often through Flicker effects and things like Flickerwisp and Mangara of Corondor. The term for the deck came from a tournament goer in Lorwyn saying there were three inevitablities: Death, taxes, and white weenies placing at tournaments. It has changed to mana denial over sheer aggression over time, but the deck is still named such.
    I always assumed the taxes part reffered to tax effects, most notably Thalia.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Those cards only affect my final clarifying sentence, and not even all of it. "The definition of ownership in the game is the same as it is outside the game" remains true, as by the rules of the game you get to keep the card that you exchanged Tempest Efreet for, to take home, sell, trade, or throw away however you want. That is why it is only legal when playing for ante, where the rules themselves dictate that ownership of at least one card per player is at stake. If you start a game that's playing for ante, you've already accepted that you might not be taking home all the cards that you brought with you, so cards that affect that are considered a valid game mechanic.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #1452

For what it's worth, what I said FEELS correct.

But yeah no I know jack **** about pro magic.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I always assumed the taxes part reffered to tax effects, most notably Thalia.
    I don't think anyone is quite sure anymore, but I think the name Death and Taxes is older than people actually playing taxing effects in that deck. Now that I think about it, Thalia is the only "tax" effect people commonly play in Death & Taxes these days, unless you count Wasteland.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I don't think anyone is quite sure anymore, but I think the name Death and Taxes is older than people actually playing taxing effects in that deck. Now that I think about it, Thalia is the only "tax" effect people commonly play in Death & Taxes these days, unless you count Wasteland.
    Leonin Arbiter, in modern at least.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Rishidan Port is also kind of taxing, I guess...

But yes, the name predates both the use of Thalia and Orzhov.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Bugbear in the Playground

I guess we need a new thread name soon.

Magic The Gathering Threat XXIV - Where Spoiler Season Never Ends

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Following the trend on Reddit regarding M20:

Magic The Gathering Thread XXIV - I swear this thread's good in Limited.
    Magic The Gathering Thread XXIV - Leylines will shine
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-06-26 at 11:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1458

Thread title suggestion: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chandras.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Firbolg in the Playground

This. Because it genuinely got laughter to leak out of me.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Magic The Gathering Thread XXIV - Red call Shenanigans, Shahelli is NOT happy

Magic The Gathering Thread XXIV - Bag of Holding, replacing Adventuring Gear since 2020

Magic The Gathering Thread XXIV - When Elementals are out of their elements

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I vote for this one!

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I vote for this one!
    I would love to understand the joke/référence for this one lol

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I would love to understand the joke/référence for this one lol
    There was a meme this year of a salesman slapping a car and making a ludicrous claim about it, which got face swapped into various characters and the car representing different things. Like Teferi slapping a car and saying it holds so many counter spells.

They just printed three chandras in one set, which is where the "so many chandras" comes in.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I had to look it up. I dont keep up with the meme culture it seem.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Think it will be this one.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    It's still in the comprehensive rules (section 407 if you really care), where the very first subsection specificity calls out that it is strictly forbidden by tournament rules. Even if you are playing casually it also notes you are only allowed if local laws would permit it.
    Ante is one way to play with a smaller deck then?
    if you have both Tempest Efreet and Timmerian Fiends in your deck, you get a 58/60 deck legally (since it says to remove before playing). That would improve chances of drawing a card.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Ante is one way to play with a smaller deck then?
    if you have both Tempest Efreet and Timmerian Fiends in your deck, you get a 58/60 deck legally (since it says to remove before playing). That would improve chances of drawing a card.
    Yeah but neither card is going to be trivial to get ahold of. Also i'd imagine the check for if your deck is a legal size would happen after that is applied. If not it's probably a loophole. It's not like the MTG dev team is perfect, i mean Urza's Saga happened, (Also Esper in current Ravnica Block though that merely disgustingly powerful, not broken beyond belief).

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Banned

legal size for what? Ante isnt legal in any format. Might as well play with printed cards for all the difference it would make

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Ante isnt legal in any format.
    I looked it up, assuming there would surely be an ante card in, at the very least, Unformat.

Nope. You were right.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-06-27 at 11:31 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

In fringe formats that don't bother banning them, you can play with a library as small as 24 cards if you want.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2019-06-27 at 11:36 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.