Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1431
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I knew that you the player were a planeswalker, I just didn't know what it really meant. So, planeswalkers have the ability to harness the natural landscape to use to cast spells? Is that how they explain away the whole "mana" part of the game?
    Yeah. The flavor is different for everyone and isn't always brought up, but basically "lands" in universe are just the walkers in question remembering really nice places they've been and being like "Aah, that was a good tree". Sometimes it's a more direct bond like Nissa directly asking for mana from the land around her, but for the most part no one in universe who isn't a professionally trained capital W Wizard knows about the actual details and colour of magic and stuff. Jace for instance is not a Wizard, though he is a wizard mechanically. He doesn't have the professional knowledge to know WHY thinking about and being near water makes him feel better and makes his magic stronger, but it does.

This isn't unique to planeswalkers by the way, all magic is done through this, but most people don't have any clue that they're doing it subconciously. Planeswalkers just have the benefit of being able to go to different planes, and thus have touched more nice rocks that make them feel good.

Eye-Zodi by Pinkhaired August. I S E E Y O U.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah. The flavor is different for everyone and isn't always brought up, but basically "lands" in universe are just the walkers in question remembering really nice places they've been and being like "Aah, that was a good tree". Sometimes it's a more direct bond like Nissa directly asking for mana from the land around her, but for the most part no one in universe who isn't a professionally trained capital W Wizard knows about the actual details and colour of magic and stuff. Jace for instance is not a Wizard, though he is a wizard mechanically. He doesn't have the professional knowledge to know WHY thinking about and being near water makes him feel better and makes his magic stronger, but it does.

This isn't unique to planeswalkers by the way, all magic is done through this, but most people don't have any clue that they're doing it subconciously. Planeswalkers just have the benefit of being able to go to different planes, and thus have touched more nice rocks that make them feel good.
    I see, so drawing cards in essence is calling upon your memory of where you've been. And the creatures you summoned are based off the creatures you may have met or researched about and are able to summon either the actual thing or some kind of replica thing. That about right?

Also, why did Lilliana turn on Nicol Bolas? I thought she was like the undead summoner queen or something literally reveling in the dead and undead stuff. So how would 2 kids being crushed under a building cause her to turn all her amassed minions towards Nicol Bolas with the understand that it was probably going to be her last act? I understand if it was the last catalyst in a series of events that lead to the rebellion, but I'm not seeing it based on what little I know of her.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I see, so drawing cards in essence is calling upon your memory of where you've been. And the creatures you summoned are based off the creatures you may have met or researched about and are able to summon either the actual thing or some kind of replica thing. That about right?

Also, why did Lilliana turn on Nicol Bolas? I thought she was like the undead summoner queen or something literally reveling in the dead and undead stuff. So how would 2 kids being crushed under a building cause her to turn all her amassed minions towards Nicol Bolas with the understand that it was probably going to be her last act? I understand if it was the last catalyst in a series of events that lead to the rebellion, but I'm not seeing it based on what little I know of her.
    Lilli realized that Bolas was not only a monster, but was soon to be an immortal one. He was going to own her as a slave for all time, and if he won there was no chance if her getting free. She always thought she was going to weasel out of her contract, which is what she set out to do before but realized he was too smart and strong in that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #1264

Summoning is different for everyone. Some, like Saheeli, are literally using magic to manipulate stores of metal they've got in their pockets to make stuff. Some, like Nissa, are just animating the world around them. Some just create aether constructs based on feelings and emotions, yeah.

Liliana was an old-walker, the term for pre-mending walkers, for a decent amount of time. But then lost it, and since she's a human instead of a dragon, she did not take it well. So she used Bolas as a mediator to make a pact with four powerful demons that would grant her eternal youth and all of her power back. She absolutely intended to betray all four demons, and did so (with a lot of help from our heroes, the Gatewatch). When she killed the last demon, her contract defaulted to Bolas as he planned, and she was forced to decide if death was worse than eternal servitude.

Liliana's backstory is that she was a healer tempted to dark arts to try and save her brother, and all she ended up doing was making a horrifically cursed Revenant out of his body that visciously tore apart their family home and much of her family, and it ignited her spark. She has been running from the idea of death for her entire life as a result. But on Dominaria, her home plane and where the last demon was, she had to face that pain and kill the powerful undead form of her brother as part of the stuff they needed to do to defeat her final demon. Doing that, and hearing his now purified soul rip into her for being the worst human being imaginable, really put a lot of pain in her.

Additionally, all of our heroes save for Gideon abandoned her when she mentioned she needed to kill this one last final demon. Gideon is the one who she felt would betray her first and the most, and yet he didn't. Because he's that good a guy. And the month or two she spent with Gideon in Dominaria kinda softened her heart. But when Bolas came collecting she could do nothing but join him, because her ultimate goal of "avoid death at every cost" won out.

But on Ravnica, she does her absolute best to fight back against Bolas while still helping him. Limiting how smart the Eternal's are, stopping them from going in buildings, so on. She is doing her damnedest to help out at little as actually required. Because she does hate Bolas, and doesn't want to be his slave. And slowly but surely the war rages, and she fights with her inner monologue about whether it really is worth being alive and enslaved. And when it comes down to the final moment, with Gideon all but defeated and Bolas so close to victory... she decides that no. she'd been wrong, actually. Dying is far, far more preferable to servitude. So she betrays him.

The scene in the trailer where she sees a girl and her younger brother die isn't directly in the novel, and is just a shorthand for Liliana being reminded of her own tragic past and finally deciding she's on the wrong side. It's really good symbolism for a trailer, but it doesn't exactly play out that way in the book.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

As I understand it, necromancy is something she's really really good at, but not something she actually cares about. It's just a tool to her; a really good tool, but still a tool. Her primary motivations/goals are a) don't die and b) be really powerful with no drawbacks.

The last catalyst wasn't those two kids, but Gideon. In her time in the Gatewatch he had managed to become her closest friend, maybe even her only real friend, and he was dying because of Nicol Bolas. On top of that, serving Bolas went very much against her ambitions, and she was only doing it in the first place because he had tricked and betrayed her, concealing a critical detail of the demonic contract he negotiated for her. She had an enormous personal grudge against Bolas, it was only a question of how it compared to her desire to live. Add in some feelings for Jace, and that she's not actually cruel, sadistic, or anything like that, just selfish and ambitious.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. That all makes sense. If Nicol Bolas negotiated the contract with the 4 demons, I can see how the contract defaulted to him. Probably added a little "Finder's fee for this soul" in there and boom, his name is on the contract when the other 4 expire (kinda curious how the 4 demons planned on sharing Lilliana with the contract. Was she on like some kind of time share where they rotated who had ownership of her when?).

Well, that pretty much wraps up my main questions around the trailer. Anyways, I thought I would like to ask, because I was first introduced to magic around the 7th edition, but I remember some cards around then called pherxians (I know I probably misspelled it). They looked like interesting machines, and all the cards I saw of them (albiet not many) showed them as artifacts. One I had in my deck from that time, I don't remember it's name, but I remember the flavor text because it was cute, "It doesn't eat, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry. All it does from dusk to dawn is make the soldiers die!" Given how I remember how it looked like a creepy machine which I would have assumed would be some black source if it wasn't artifact, I've always wondered, what is the deal about these phrexians?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2019-05-20 at 09:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1267

The devils each got a portion of her soul and could control her to within the realm of their contract. Kothophed basically just got to boss her around, Griselbrand I think just wanted to eat her when she died, Raziketh was the only smart one and made it so that he could puppet her however he wished (but like, directly puppet her, which caused him issues) and Belzenlok I think was 100% in on the idea of dying to serve Bolas.

The Phyrexians are a... long story. The started as a the sick and infirm of an ancient race on Dominaria, that got transported to a different plane known as Phyrexia by Yawgmoth, a big bad scientist who mutated and mutilated them all into his perfect idea of humanity. Think horrific borg monsters that bleed oil.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

The devils each got a portion of her soul and could control her to within the realm of their contract. Kothophed basically just got to boss her around, Griselbrand I think just wanted to eat her when she died, Raziketh was the only smart one and made it so that he could puppet her however he wished (but like, directly puppet her, which caused him issues) and Belzenlok I think was 100% in on the idea of dying to serve Bolas.

The Phyrexians are a... long story. The started as a the sick and infirm of an ancient race on Dominaria, that got transported to a different plane known as Phyrexia by Yawgmoth, a big bad scientist who mutated and mutilated them all into his perfect idea of humanity. Think horrific borg monsters that bleed oil.
    Okay. So that grisel demon was just an idiot. You gave her everlasting life and all you wanted out of it was to eat her? Then why not just let her die and eat her then. Also, what do you mean directly puppet her that caused some issue?

That scientist guy either wasn't hugged as a child or never looked in a mirror. Ah well, probably both. So, they were human on dominaria, transported to the realm of phyrexia, experimented on and became machine like borg. Now I know there are multiple realms (hence the planewalking) but was this realm they were transported in vacant? Or did it have its own kind of group living there that allowed the horrible conversion to manifest?

9. - Top - End - #1269

Okay. So that grisel demon was just an idiot. You gave her everlasting life and all you wanted out of it was to eat her? Then why not just let her die and eat her then. Also, what do you mean directly puppet her that caused some issue?

That scientist guy either wasn't hugged as a child or never looked in a mirror. Ah well, probably both. So, they were human on dominaria, transported to the realm of phyrexia, experimented on and became machine like borg. Now I know there are multiple realms (hence the planewalking) but was this realm they were transported in vacant? Or did it have its own kind of group living there that allowed the horrible conversion to manifest?
    Griselbrand is a bit of a dumbass, yeah. Eating her soul would give him a lot of power. And I mean he has to ACTIVELY puppet her to control her. If he can't focus on manipulating the magic strings, she can fight him.

Phyrexia is empty since it was an artificial but still living plane made by a planeswalker who died, leaving it basically free real-estate. It did have techno-organic creatures there that kept the place automated, but Yawgmoth repurposed them.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Phyrexia has also since infested the plane of Mirrodin, which was a world where just about everything was made of metal. There was a battle between the Phyrexians and the Mirrans, and Phyrexia won, overwhelmingly. Mirrodin is now New Phyrexia, and I think there's been hints they may be one of the upcoming antagonists, since they've been looking for ways to cross to other planes.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Griselbrand just expected Liliana to mess up and get killed by something relatively soon, even if she doesn't age. If she's foolish enough to enter into a contract with a load of demons, she's probably living a pretty risky lifestyle and l imagine the average lifespan for a necromancer is on the short side.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I think Griselbrand just expected Liliana to mess up and get killed by something relatively soon, even if she doesn't age. If she's foolish enough to enter into a contract with a load of demons, she's probably living a pretty risky lifestyle and l imagine the average lifespan for a necromancer is on the short side.
    Yeah, but just hearing the contract and terms of conditions makes me cringe. A dying old woman approaches you asking for youth, power, and eternal life, And then you give her that with the condition when she dies you get to eat her?! Like, the thing granted in the contract contradicts the terms. Plus, she's a planeswalker, which as I seem to understand it makes her really hard to kill. And what if when she died it was to some being or creature that eats her or otherwise disposes of her body? Then you get nothing!

Different note, since we are all planeswalkers, and we in term summon planeswalkers in games, does that mean we are stronger then even nicol bolas? Or that we are creating artificial conjurations of the beings when we "met" them and these conjurations are not nearly as powerful as the real thing and only as strong as what the planeswalker was at the time. I'm assuming it is the second because that makes more sense. It would explain how you can have different cards of the same planeswalker with different abilities and effects and the picture shows different moments in their life, but I just want to make sure. Also, I highly doubt that thousands of planeswalkers (us players) can't be stronger than Nicol Bolas when he was supposed to be the big bad.

13. - Top - End - #1273

Yeah, but just hearing the contract and terms of conditions makes me cringe. A dying old woman approaches you asking for youth, power, and eternal life, And then you give her that with the condition when she dies you get to eat her?! Like, the thing granted in the contract contradicts the terms. Plus, she's a planeswalker, which as I seem to understand it makes her really hard to kill. And what if when she died it was to some being or creature that eats her or otherwise disposes of her body? Then you get nothing!

Different note, since we are all planeswalkers, and we in term summon planeswalkers in games, does that mean we are stronger then even nicol bolas? Or that we are creating artificial conjurations of the beings when we "met" them and these conjurations are not nearly as powerful as the real thing and only as strong as what the planeswalker was at the time. I'm assuming it is the second because that makes more sense. It would explain how you can have different cards of the same planeswalker with different abilities and effects and the picture shows different moments in their life, but I just want to make sure. Also, I highly doubt that thousands of planeswalkers (us players) can't be stronger than Nicol Bolas when he was supposed to be the big bad.
    Girselbrand has hooks for hands, he's not a very clever being. And to be clear, I mean eat her SOUL, not her physical body. Presumably the magics of the contract would end up dragging Liliana back to the demon who next is owed his portion (Kothophed is the only actual demon who acts on his contract before Liliana starts killing them, so it's unclear how it all really works beyond what Razaketh mentions in his fight with her).

There is some abstraction between the card game and the story, so ultimately you're gonna get into weird situations where you have three Chandra's on your side of the field. It's just a thing that happens, story and gameplay segregation always leans in favor of gameplay, by WOTC's own admission. Flavor wise, playing a Planeswalker card is us calling them for help, their loyalty being how willing they are to help us. If you run a Nicol Bolas card in your deck you're probably one of his minions (and I say this as someone who identifies as grixis probably). I'd imagine none of us are actually stronger than Nicol Bolas personally given he's an age old elder dragon.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-05-21 at 09:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Now I want to make a Vorthos deck made of lillianas, her four demons, and the cards that reference their relationship. Stick the Chain Veil in for good measure.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

There is some abstraction between the card game and the story, so ultimately you're gonna get into weird situations where you have three Chandra's on your side of the field. It's just a thing that happens, story and gameplay segregation always leans in favor of gameplay, by WOTC's own admission. Flavor wise, playing a Planeswalker card is us calling them for help, their loyalty being how willing they are to help us. If you run a Nicol Bolas card in your deck you're probably one of his minions (and I say this as someone who identifies as grixis probably). I'd imagine none of us are actually stronger than Nicol Bolas personally given he's an age old elder dragon.
    Eh, that's an easy head-canon fix. You the planeswalker are calling the other planeswalkers through time and space, hence why multiple of them can exist at the same time, they are from different times in their lives.

16. - Top - End - #1276

Eh, that's an easy head-canon fix. You the planeswalker are calling the other planeswalkers through time and space, hence why multiple of them can exist at the same time, they are from different times in their lives.
    That's not really main-canon compliant, unless you want to get into Test of Metal (don't!). That said, there can be fun ways to play around with it for your own flavor. Ultimately, enjoy the game as you like! If you ever have any other lore questions, just ask the big giant floating eyeball of knowledge (this won't make sense in a month or two when my avatar changes...)
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-05-21 at 12:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: New cards for Modern Horizons
    Show

They are making an enemy cycle of Horizon Canopy lands. This will definitely have an impact.

Force of Despair seems great. Off the top of my head things it deals with are:
    Living End
    Collected Company decks (especially elves)
    Affinity
    Burning-Tree Emissary plays
    Tokens
    Bloodbraiding into a creature
    Stalls pheonix and dredge
    Goroyos Vengeance
    Neoform
    Actually kills Emrakul
    Hexproof Threats
    Empty the Warrens if that should ever be relevant
    And I've probably missed some
    And that's on top of often just being a free kill spell.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

That's not really main-canon compliant, unless you want to get into Test of Metal (don't!). That said, there can be fun ways to play around with it for your own flavor. Ultimately, enjoy the game as you like! If you ever have any other lore questions, just ask the big giant floating eyeball of knowledge (this won't make sense in a month or two when my avatar changes...)
    Oh, I thought all this time you were an abstract panda bear. LOL!

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Has blue/black ever been the protagonist?
    DnD Alignment: NE
    Spoiler: MTG Color Philosophy Quizzes
    Show

Spoiler: Nodiatis RPG Personality Test
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Bugbear in the Playground

Back before The Mending, an in and out of universe fixing of the setting, Planeswalkers who ascended where basically Gods. They could do anything, effectively. They could still die, but a smart Planeswalker was basically outright unkillable and undefeatable.
    The first time we see our first protagonist planeswalker meet another planeswalker, it gets killed in less than a page. From then onwards, our protagonist risks getting killed by mortals sort of often, and has to be rescued when battling Gix, thats just a compleated criminal. They were immortal, sure, but nowhere near godlike. They also had a tendency to go insane or lose trace of their own personalities, and had to constantly keep their appearance or risk becoming diffuse motes of energies.

Different note, since we are all planeswalkers, and we in term summon planeswalkers in games, does that mean we are stronger then even nicol bolas?
    There is a product called Archenemy thats sort of supposed to highlight that no, we are nowhere near there. Or the final missions in duels M12, which also has a pretty cool and surprisingly relevant trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCwPBMNdXM

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Has blue/black ever been the protagonist?
    Main antagonist first Ravnica book; also protagonist during Kamigawa block. Please dont ask 'what would be a good song for a blue black protagonist' or something similar.

22. - Top - End - #1282

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    The first time we see our first protagonist planeswalker meet another planeswalker, it gets killed in less than a page. From then onwards, our protagonist risks getting killed by mortals sort of often, and has to be rescued when battling Gix, thats just a compleated criminal. They were immortal, sure, but nowhere near godlike. They also had a tendency to go insane or lose trace of their own personalities, and had to constantly keep their appearance or risk becoming diffuse motes of energies.

There is a product called Archenemy thats sort of supposed to highlight that no, we are nowhere near there. Or the final missions in duels M12, which also has a pretty cool and surprisingly relevant trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCwPBMNdXM
    VERY important note: This trailer is NOT CANON.

It... is VERY ironically funny in retrospect, but not canon.

Main antagonist first Ravnica book; also protagonist during Kamigawa block. Please dont ask 'what would be a good song for a blue black protagonist' or something similar.
    Umezawa is more mono-black than blue-black, but I can see it.

23. - Top - End - #1283

VERY important note: This trailer is NOT CANON.

It... is VERY ironically funny in retrospect, but not canon.
    Yeah, but it was such a hit right after the spellbook got spoiled. Still, some of it would fit Ajani better instead.

Umezawa is more mono-black than blue-black, but I can see it.
    At least his lineage seems to hint that way.
    Spoiler: Umezawa
    Show

Last edited by LansXero; 2019-05-21 at 05:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Firbolg in the Playground

so ultimately you're gonna get into weird situations where you have three Chandra's on your side of the field.
    Which didn't use to be the case.

Back in the day, you could have one planeswalker of a given type on the field. Only one Gideon, only one Chandra. No armies of the same person.

But then a combination of deciding to grate on the playerbase with the same walkers over and over again instead of new and creative ones, combined with completely changing the type line of all past and present planeswalkers so they could make one card with a 'planeswalker token' gimmick, and we get this.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1285

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Which didn't use to be the case.

Back in the day, you could have one planeswalker of a given type on the field. Only one Gideon, only one Chandra. No armies of the same person.

But then a combination of deciding to grate on the playerbase with the same walkers over and over again instead of new and creative ones, combined with completely changing the type line of all past and present planeswalkers so they could make one card with a 'planeswalker token' gimmick, and we get this.
    Given that WAR is the best selling expansion to date and everyone loves the gatewatch (well, most of everyone who buys sealed product, so most of everyone who matters) I dont know how grated the playerbase is.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I being researching the Oathbreaker format and discovered that it will be probably be harder to make balanced game in such format. A few planeswalker are cleearly broken with a spell combinaison while others are more fun, casual or just enough competitive.

I wonder what kind of future such format has before trying to buy cards for it

27. - Top - End - #1287

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I being researching the Oathbreaker format and discovered that it will be probably be harder to make balanced game in such format. A few planeswalker are cleearly broken with a spell combinaison while others are more fun, casual or just enough competitive.

I wonder what kind of future such format has before trying to buy cards for it
    As much of a future as Frontier.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

As much of a future as Frontier.
    This is why I'm spending like $10 putting a deck together. If it dies, I'm out very little.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, but it was such a hit right after the spellbook got spoiled. Still, some of it would fit Ajani better instead.

At least his lineage seems to hint that way.
    Spoiler: Umezawa
    Show

Right now, my favorite deck in standard has these cards:
    Spoiler: Deck
    Show

Actual Deck:

4X [WHITE] Healer’s Hawk (1 mana)
    4X [WHITE] Duskborn Skymarcher (1 mana)
    4X [WHITE] Rustwing Falcon (1 mana)
    4X [BLUE] Siren Stormtamer (1 mana)
    4X [BLUE] Artificier’s Assistant (1 mana)
    4X [BLUE] Pteramander (1 mana)
    4X [BLACK] Pilfering Imp (1 mana)
    4X [BLACK] Blight Keeper (1 mana)
    4x [WHITE/BLUE] Dovin, Grand Arbiter (3 mana, Planeswalker)
    4x [WHITE/BLACK] Godless Shrine (Land)
    4x [WHITE/BLUE] Hallowed Fountain (Land)
    4x [BLUE/BLACK] Watery Grave (Land)

Sideboard:
    4x [Black/Blue] Dimir Spybug (2 Mana)
    4x [Blue] Nightveil Sprite (2 Mana)
    4x [Black] Kitesail Freebooter (2 Mana)
    3x [Black/Blue] Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

I like this style, whatever its called, so I’m looking to build a flying esper commander deck around this commander:

https://scryfall.com/card/mm3/204/zu...rce=mw_MTGWiki

Any advice on good cards to pick that would have a similar feel to my standard deck? I feel like “Favorable Winds”, “Sky Tether”, and “Hypnotic Siren” are no-brainers for the commander deck.

As is obligitory, I must add a song to the bottom of this post:
    Spoiler: United States Air Force Song
    Show

Keyword for my Commander deck is "Flying", the majority of the deck must be creatures with coverted mana cost less than 4, and cards can only use white, blue, or black mana.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-05-21 at 10:11 PM.
    DnD Alignment: NE
    Spoiler: MTG Color Philosophy Quizzes
    Show

Spoiler: Nodiatis RPG Personality Test
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't invest anything into Oathbreaker that aren't cards you'd use for something else, unless you have some friends nearby who are super interested in playing some Oathbreaker. Fortunately, a lot of cards that you'd want to play in Oathbreaker are also pretty decent in Commander if you build the right deck.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    5e: Orianna OOC IC
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC