New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    ... Do you mean if its bounced? I can just recast it again then right? Beside, if they waste their bounce on that card, they are in for some surprises later on. I can just Proliferate to get some more lol

But of course, I could replace "Sigil of Disctinction" with " Unity in Purpose ". Getting two +1/+1 counter as well as allowing me to untap two creature with +1/+1 counter on them could be useful.
    Sigil of Distinction is much better than Unity in Purpose. I am saying that if you have bounce effects in your deck, that you use on your own Sigil of Distinction, then Sigil becomes much better.

For example, let's say you cast Sigil of Distinction for X = 5. You then have a creature getting +4/+4, then another one +3/+3. A +2/+2 is less useful, and at that point, Sigil of Distinction does very little on the field. However, if you were able to, say, use Into The Roil at the end of someone else's turn, then cast Sigil of Distinction for X = 7, you get quite a lot of use out of the card for relatively little investment. Or using Repeal to reset it for 1 mana and no card lost.

With what kinds of cards then? Saying it like that is merely a opinion, not a advice.
    Once upon a time, I had a B/U/G commander deck that was all about drawing my entire deck. The color that drew me the most cards? Undeniably Green, from Greater Good, Garruk Primal Hunter, and Soul's Majesty. Prime Speaker Zegana is also a large source of card draw, especially when Lord of Extinction was lying around. Man that was a silly deck. Drawing 50 cards in one turn was pretty normal, which was GG if Psychosis Crawler was out.

6) Added Bioshift. Its very useful and a good target for Isochron Scepter. But removed Unity to Purpose for it, it was a bit costly to cast anyway for what it gave in my book.
    Bioshift is weak with scepter, and terrible without it. Especially given how few creatures you run and how few sources of +1/+1 counters you have. My biggest concern with the deck is the lack of sustainable card draw. A Jace Beleren, for example, is card draw most turns after you play it. Mind's Eye, Consecrated Sphinx, and Mystic Remora are pretty good card draw. Exploration is a card that I learned, from my big-hand deck, can be pretty good. Turn 1, it lets you quickly accelerate to 3 lands; when the card draw engine is in full swing, on the other hand, in a 4-person game, it gives you open mana for counterspells and lets you cast your big spells pretty darn quickly.

Incidentally, Voidslime is probably the best counterspell you could get, just to deal with activated abilities that kill your Laboratory Maniac.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I have Otherworld Atlas as constant card engine already but I get your point.

I will remove Bioshift then... and See Beyond, for the cards below.

I can add Temple Bell for now as your solution are too costly for me at the moment.

And I'll add Voltaic Key for good mesure. It can trigger a lot more artefact that I own, including my draw engines.

-1 Bioshift
    -1 See Beyond

+1 Voltaic Key
    +1 Temple Bell

PS: I like the idea I can pretend to be a group hug deck with cards that make everyone draw. I might get a Jace Beleren later down the road but for now, Temple Bell and Voltaic Key works for me.

EDIT: I am removing Curious Homonculus because while its a good 2 mana drop, I cant use it to his full potential in this deck. I was considering putting back Crawlspace Or maybe Psychic Spiral... but I think I'll put Capsize instead. More useful in the long run and can bounce back a card of mine to save it if needed

+1 Capsize
    -1 Curious Homunculous

EDIT 2 : I'll replace Stuffy Doll by Kefnet the Mindful. Less costly mana cost, able to put a drawing engine on the field that is indestructable...

-1 Stuffy Doll
    +1 Kefnet the Mindful

And changed this too:

-1 Eyes of the Watcher
    +1 Sigil of Distinction

-1 Countervailing Winds
    +1 Sphinx's Tutelage
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-10 at 07:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Ok, Im satisfied with THAT deck above... Now I have a second deck to work with and that one requiere a lot more work:

Isperia the Unscrutable (Blue/white commander)

Be mindful this it was supposed to be a fun, casual commander deck. I do not know how to make it powerful anyway but any suggestions is appreciated.

As a reminder. the commander ability is to be able to go search the library for flying creature cards everytime she does damage to the opponent.

Creatures:22

1x Selfless Spirit =
    2x Vendillon Clique =
    4x Argent Sphinx =
    5x Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker =
    6x Soulcatcher =
    7x Stonecloaker =
    8x Thunderclap Wyvern =
    9x Angelic Field Marshal =
    10x Indomitable Archangel =
    11x Pride of the Clouds =
    12x Windborn Muse =
    13x Linvala, Keeper of Silence =
    14x Drift of Phantasms =
    14x Steel Hellkite =
    15x Spirit Noble =
    16x Adarkar Valkyrie =
    17x High Sentinels of Arashin =
    18x Thopter Assembly =
    19x Angel of Jubilation =
    20x Cyclone Sire
    21x Cloudchaser Kestrel
    22x Emeria Angel

Enchantements: (14)

22x Cloud Cover
    23x Spirit Bonds
    24x Steel of the Godhead
    25x Invocation of Saint Traft
    26x Bident of Thassa
    27x Telepathy
    28x Gravity Shift
    29x Equilibrium
    30x Planeswalker's Mischief
    31x Ghostly Prison
    32x Propaganda
    33x Duelist's Heritage
    34x Reconnaissance
    35x Gift of Immortality

Instant // Sorcery (11)

37x Swords to Plowshares
    38x Dismantling Blow
    39x Terminus
    40x Azorius Charm
    41x Crib Swap
    42x Terminus
    43x Swan Song
    44x Cyclonic Rift
    45x Hindering light
    46x Switcharoo
    47x Supreme Verdict

Artefacts: (13)

48x Elixir of Immortality
    49x Soul Foundry
    50x Proteus Staff
    51x Whispersilk Cloak
    52X Moonsilver Spear
    53x Azorius Keyrune
    54x Azorius Cluestone
    55x Azorius Signet
    56x Mind Stone
    57x Thran Dynamo
    58x Glasses of Urza
    59x Sol RIng
    60x Hydron Archive

Lands: (39)

(how many basic plains and islands should I put?)

Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Field of Ruin
    Gargoyle Castle
    Moorland Haunt
    Command Tower
    Vivid Meadow
    Vivid Creek

I also have no idea what kind of planeswalker would fit in such a deck

=======

Carte a transferer:

1- Propaganda
    1-
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-18 at 11:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes! I won my store championship! This is substantially less impressive than it sounds, as I was one of only six players, but still, I now have my first ever playmat. I played Esper Approach against Boros equipment (2-0), Azorius Cycling (2-1), and Esper Control (2-0). The first game against Esper went at least 40 minutes before I got my Approach off, it was a marathon.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering if somebody could help me with a rules question: Can I cast Clockspinning on a creature like Setessan Oathsworn which doesn't currently have any counters?

It's mentioned in the Oracle rulings that if there isn't a counter on the card by the time Clockspinning resolves, it does nothing, but if the Heroic trigger in response to the Clockspinning resolves first (thus putting counters on the Oathsworn), then by the time Clockspinning resolves, there's a counter to manipulate.

I'm just not sure whether a counterless Setessan Oathsworn is a valid target for Clockspinning in the first place.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I was wondering if somebody could help me with a rules question: Can I cast Clockspinning on a creature like Setessan Oathsworn which doesn't currently have any counters?

It's mentioned in the Oracle rulings that if there isn't a counter on the card by the time Clockspinning resolves, it does nothing, but if the Heroic trigger in response to the Clockspinning resolves first (thus putting counters on the Oathsworn), then by the time Clockspinning resolves, there's a counter to manipulate.

I'm just not sure whether a counterless Setessan Oathsworn is a valid target for Clockspinning in the first place.
    Yes. You don’t need any counters on the target to target it with clockspinning.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

Yes, because the counter, and the choice of whether to add or remove, aren't decided until resolution.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I posted before a mostly blue deck with " Toothy, Imaginary Friend " as a deck themed after the movie " Inside Out" (especially Bing Bong).

I was reluctant to include its partner but after accepting his partner as a black verion of Ryley (the main character of the movie), I decide to give it a try and make a decklist...

I would like some advices/imput:

EDIT: Should I add:

- Krosan Grip?
    - Managorger Hydra ?
    - Prophet Of Kruphix instead of Murkfiend Liege ?

Creatures : (23)

1x Prime Speaker Zegana
    2x Drift of Phantasms
    3x Laboratory Maniac
    4x Murkfiend Liege
    5x Solemn Simulacrum
    6x Zameck Guildmage
    7x Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    8x Trygon Predator
    9x Endless One
    10x Chasm Skulker
    11x Consecrated Sphinx
    12x Plaxcaster Frogling
    13x Burnished Hart
    14x Archetype of Imagination
    15x Tuskguard Captain
    16x Vorel of the Hull Clade
    17x Temur Sabertooth
    18x Overbeing of Myth
    19x Avatar of the Resolute
    20x Gyre Sage
    21x Psychosis Crawler
    22x Spike Weaver
    23x Fertilid
    24x Wickerbough Elder

Enchantements : (4)

25x Archmage Ascension
    26x Propaganda
    27x As Foretold
    28x Sylvan library

Instant/Sorcery (19)

29x Muddle the Mixture
    30x Dream Fracture
    31x Capsize
    32x Triumph of the hordes
    33x Simic Charm
    34x Arcane Denial
    35x Windfall
    36x Inspiring Call
    37x Swan Song
    38x Cyclonic Rift
    39x Tezzeret's Gambit
    40x Fuel for the Cause
    41x Stubborn Denial
    42x Emerald Charm
    43x Curse of the Swine
    44x Arachnogenesis
    45x Momentous Fall

Artefacts : (13)

46x Otherworld Atlas
    47x Thran Dynamo
    48x Everflowing Chalice
    49x Sol Ring
    50x Hedron Archive
    51x Crawlspace
    52x Library of Leng
    53x Whispersilk Cloak
    54x Swiftfoot Boots
    55x Thought Vessel
    56x Cauldron of Souls
    57x Voltaic Key

Planewalkers (1)

58x Nissa, Steward of Elements

1x Reliquary Tower
    1x Field of Ruin
    1x Myriad Landspace
    1x Halimar Depths
    1x Command Tower
    1x Vivid Grove
    1x Vivid Creek
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-06 at 12:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Prophet of Kruphix is banned in commander.

10. - Top - End - #340

Prime. Speaker. Zegana. Better than Skyrider Patrol.

Let's say you have a Temur Sabertooth on the field. Now, as a sorcery, you can choose to pay 8 mana to draw 5+ cards. Let's say that your Toothy is a 1/1 when this starts. The first time you cast Zegana, he'll go up to a 6/6. The second time, you'll draw 7 cards, and he'll go up to a 13/13. The third time, you draw 14 cards and he goes up to a 27/27.

I will reiterate that, for much the same reasons, I believe that Soul's Majesty will be worthwhile. Optional tricks to make this card engine sillier are Masumaro, First to Live; Greater Good; and Garruk, Primal Hunter.

A creature you may consider, regardless of this, is Psychosis Crawler, as it can turn your drawing into a win condition. If Toothy dying means you drawing 20 cards and your opponents losing 20 life, you are likely to cause someone to go to 0.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Thank you both for your advices!

Psychosis Crawler is a good idea! I was considering Sturmgeist instead but Psychosis Crawler is definitly better.

I have to consider the mana cost of everything and Im having trouble with that... Prime Speaker Zegana is DEFINITLY better but also VERY costly.

Althought my strategy is to draw lots of cards, Im considering cards that let me go search my library for more land cards. Any suggestions? Something that say " draw" on it for boosting my synergy would be awesome...

From your suggestions, what I did:

+1 Psychosis Crawler
    -1 Heroic Intervention

+1 Prime Speaker Zegana
    -1 Skyrider Patrol

EDIT: I also changed quite a few cards as I realized I dont have enough effects that give +1/+1 counters AND I needed a way to put a lot of creatures without risking to reduce my hand size too much:

+1 Arachnogenesis
    +1 Unity of Purpose
    +1 Spike Weaver
    +1 Sylvan Library

-1 Sigil of Disctinction
    -1 Hurkyl's Recall
    -1 Temple Bell
    -1 Land
    -1 Brainstorm

I changed Brainstorm for Sylvan Library. More consistant draws and starting EVERY TURN with a Brainstorm is awesome. Sure its not instant speed but I feel its a small sacrifice.

EDIT 2: CHanged my planewalker for Kiora, Master of the Depths.

+1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
    - 1 Jace, Memory Adept
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-30 at 08:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey everyone, I've been trying to build a BW token deck for modern and I think I'm approaching something playable though I'm sure I'm making some terrible mistakes. I say modern sort of by default since it's built around Amonketh cards and I don't think it's worth the effort to make it standard for a few months, but anyway I'm pretty sure I won't take it to anything else than friendly games, I don't intend this to be competitive, mostly something that I can have fun with.

Still, suggestions are welcome:

Spoiler: deck
    Show
    Creature (15)
    2x Anointer Priest
    1x Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
    2x Doomed Dissenter
    1x Josu Vess, Lich Knight
    1x Lord of the Accursed
    2x Oketra the True
    1x Shalai, Voice of Plenty
    2x Trueheart Duelist
    2x Undead Warchief
    1x Wayward Servant

Planeswalker (1)
    1x Liliana, Death's Majesty

Sorcery (7)
    1x Call the Cavalry
    1x Final Parting
    1x Grind
    1x Never
    1x Settle the Score
    2x Stir the Sands

Enchantment (6)
    3x Anointed Procession
    1x Cartouche of Solidarity
    1x The Eldest Reborn
    1x Trespasser's Curse

Artifact (6)
    1x Forebear's Blade
    1x Gilded Lotus
    2x Oketra's Monument
    1x Pyramid of the Pantheon
    1x Throne of the God-Pharaoh
    Instant (5)
    1x Blessed Reversal
    2x Quiet Purity
    1x Time to Reflect
    1x Turn the Tables

Land (20)
    12x Plains
    8x Swamp

And here is the tappedout link: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-0...?cb=1530381956
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

13. - Top - End - #343

Althought my strategy is to draw lots of cards, Im considering cards that let me go search my library for more land cards. Any suggestions? Something that say " draw" on it for boosting my synergy would be awesome...
    While it isn't necessarily land FETCH, one of the better cards in my 'draw everything' deck was Burgeoning. I would often have a 20-60 card hand, and not enough lands to do anything with it. Burgeoning gave me more than a few extra lands per turn to make the most of my options. Also, it was amazing turn 1.

If you want dedicated hand growth + draw, Yavimaya Elder is the way to go. Often times, he'll be 5 mana, draw a card, search out two lands. Other times, he'll be more value than that.

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been trying to build a BW token deck for modern and I think I'm approaching something playable though I'm sure I'm making some terrible mistakes. I say modern sort of by default since it's built around Amonketh cards and I don't think it's worth the effort to make it standard for a few months, but anyway I'm pretty sure I won't take it to anything else than friendly games, I don't intend this to be competitive, mostly something that I can have fun with.

You're telling me that this is a Black/White Tokens deck, without Intangible Virtue or Lingering Souls.

Also, 'casual' is a perfectly fine format descriptor; 'Modern' implies competitive.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    You're telling me that this is a Black/White Tokens deck, without Intangible Virtue or Lingering Souls.

Also, 'casual' is a perfectly fine format descriptor; 'Modern' implies competitive.
    He said it's based on what's currently Standard-legal, you can't blame him for not having cards printed before then. Given the list of cards, it looks like "I had these cards so this is what I made." Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to focus hard on tokens, you should investigate those cards certainly. You could actually make a Standard version of this deck if you want to play at Friday Night Magic pretty reasonably; tokens is a common strategy, and there's certainly a lot of cards in Ixalan that make Vampire tokens that can help you out.

You should definitely play more lands; I'd suggest around 24 lands, probably. If you're worried about having too many lands and not enough to do, you can play lands like Cradle of the Accursed or Memorial to Glory that you can convert into tokens if you draw too many. You are also probably very interested in Legion's Landing, which gets your tokens started earlier and gives you a way to keep them going late in the game.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I have a Commander deck: Warrior Tribal starring Najeela, the Blade-Blossom.

Spoiler: Deck List
    Show

Spoiler: Basic Lands
    Show
    • Plains, six.
    • Island, six.
    • Swamp, six.
    • Mountain, six.
    • Forest, six.

Spoiler: Non-basic Lands
    Show
    1. Ghitu Encampment
    2. Vivid Grove
    3. Unstable Frontier
    4. Haunted Fengraf
    5. Slayer's Stronghold
    6. Dragonskull Summit
    7. Nomad Outpost
    8. Mystic Monastery
    9. Sandsteppe Citadel
    10. Opulent Palace

Spoiler: Creatures
    Show
    1. Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
    2. Rhox Brute
    3. Relentless Hunter
    4. Hellhole Flailer
    5. Cliffhaven Vampire
    6. Archetype of Aggression
    7. Goblin Wardriver
    8. Voldaren Duelist
    9. Ahn-Crop Champion
    10. Bloodshot Trainee
    11. Deadeye Harpooner
    12. Wolfir Avenger
    13. Aven Wind Guide
    14. Gorehorn Minotaurs
    15. Chief of the Edge
    16. Chief of the Scale
    17. Aven Skirmisher
    18. Brighthearth Banneret
    19. Kin-Tree Warden
    20. Carrion Thrash
    21. Qasali Ambusher
    22. Herald of Dromoka
    23. Goblin Deathraiders
    24. Carnage Gladiator
    25. Fanatic of Xenagos
    26. Zurgo Helmsmasher
    27. Gaea's Protector
    28. Bloodrage Brawler
    29. Grisly Survivor
    30. Khenra Eternal

Spoiler: Sorceries
    Show
    1. Fury of the Horde
    2. Overwhelming Stampede
    3. Beneath the Sands
    4. Sylvan Scrying
    5. Distant Melody
    6. Creeping Renaissance
    7. Rush of Batte

Spoiler: Instants
    Show
    1. Valorous Stance
    2. Wild Onslaught
    3. Harsh Sustenance
    4. Tragic Slip
    5. Offering to Asha
    6. Take Up Arms
    7. Without Weakness
    8. Dark Temper
    9. Mardu Charm
    10. Gideon's Reproach
    11. Fate Forgotten

Spoiler: Enchantments
    Show
    1. Campaign of Vengeance
    2. Gleam of Battle
    3. Suspension Field
    4. Beastmaster Ascension
    5. Fires of Yavimaya
    6. Dictate of the Twin Gods

Spoiler: Artifacts
    Show
    1. Oketra's Monument
    2. Elixir of a Million Copies Immortality
    3. Pyramid of the Pantheon
    4. Oracle's Vault
    5. Wayfarer's Bauble

I want to fit Combat Celebrant, Cyclonic Rift, Vesuva, Cavern of Souls, Reflecting Pool, Druids' Repository, and City of Brass in, and I'm at a loss where to switch things out. My play group uses a lot of tricky decks, with mine being the most aggressive and straight up, with another friend running a Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive deck in a close second.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah... I basically stopped playing 10 years ago, bought a bunch of amonketh/hour of devastation boosters, stopped playing for a year, and then bought a bunch of Dominaria boosters. This is the result.

I bought a few cards in there with store credit from selling a divining top and an into the breach but everything else is from those packs. I said modern because that's what it ended up being, not because it's the intention.

That said I'd be willing to spend maybe 20$ more to make that deck playable in standard, anything over that and I'd feel dumb when Amonketh cycles out in a few months

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: deck
    Show
    Creature (15)
    2x Anointer Priest
    1x Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
    2x Doomed Dissenter
    1x Josu Vess, Lich Knight
    1x Lord of the Accursed
    2x Oketra the True
    1x Shalai, Voice of Plenty
    2x Trueheart Duelist
    2x Undead Warchief
    1x Wayward Servant

Planeswalker (1)
    1x Liliana, Death's Majesty

Sorcery (7)
    1x Call the Cavalry
    1x Final Parting
    1x Grind
    1x Never
    1x Settle the Score
    2x Stir the Sands

Enchantment (6)
    3x Anointed Procession
    1x Cartouche of Solidarity
    1x The Eldest Reborn
    1x Trespasser's Curse

Artifact (6)
    1x Forebear's Blade
    1x Gilded Lotus
    2x Oketra's Monument
    1x Pyramid of the Pantheon
    1x Throne of the God-Pharaoh
    Instant (5)
    1x Blessed Reversal
    2x Quiet Purity
    1x Time to Reflect
    1x Turn the Tables

Land (20)
    12x Plains
    8x Swamp

And here is the tappedout link: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-0...?cb=1530381956
    Number 1 advice to casual decks is usually, you're playing too many different cards, figure out which of your cards are the best, and then play four of each of them. Of course there are good cards that you might only want to play 1 to 3 of, but generally you want to play a lot of your good cards, for both higher general power and probably more importantly, more consistency.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I especially want to thank Fable Wright for his advices. Thank you for your kindness and wisdom!

I found out a better planeswalker for my deck above: Nissa, Steward of Elements!

Scrying is awesome, she cost very low to cast, allow me to play a card from my deck if needed without reducing my hand size or get me some sweet elemental creature for one turn in case of a board wipe!

It kinda pains me to never use the +20 card dawing ability of Jace Memory Adept though lol! SHould I replace one card with it? Or my deck look solid now?

I was considering Fertilid for mana and +1/+1 counter synergy... I'll get that instead but Im not sure what to remove in my deck... Should I go with only 37 mana? Im scared of lacking mana in the game
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-30 at 10:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

What is that word that I can only assume is pronounced "Goweler?"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Bugbear in the Playground

Welp, they banned Deathrite and Probe in legacy. Format is completely unsolved once again, it seems.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Welp, they banned Deathrite and Probe in legacy. Format is completely unsolved once again, it seems.
    I am betting dredge flies up in the vacuum, then reanimator, and finally Stoneblade returns to prominence pushing them back out.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

So I basically got into the MTG Arena beta and - against my initial decision to start spending money on it once it releases - have invested 100$ into it. I've managed to netdeck:

A decent R/G Dinosaur Tribal deck, that gets shut down HARD by heavy creature removal (curse you black!) or infuriating stuff like countering key creature spells (kudos to anyone pulling off playing blue but damn is that frustrating, I understand the memes now). but in itself, the deck plays a bit blandly. Either curve into killing the enemy or die.

Spoiler: Dinosaurs! RAWR!
    Show
    4x Commune with Dinosaurs
    2x Lightning Strike
    2x Otepec Huntsmaster (guides advice to make this 4 instead of Forerunners, but how do I draw then?)
    4x Drover of the Mighty
    4x Thunderherd Migration
    4x Ranging Raptors (maybe cut some? after turn 4-5 I drown in mana but lack creatures)
    4x Savage Stomp (if I could put more of these in, I would, I considered 2x Cartouche of Strength)
    1x Trashing Brontodon (guides tell me this is a one-off but it's stat line is nice and honestly I feel I need artifact destruction in a Dominaria meta)
    4x Forerunner of the Empire (this is insanely good removal/draw, problem is, it's clunky and easily removed, guides throw it out completely)
    2x Needletooth Raptor (guides would like to see this at 4, I would too, but I often lack ways to activate it but I can see a board state where blocking this might be the only option which then leads to creatures dying)
    1x Ripjaw Raptor (this is budget but honestly that thing looks like it'd replace Forerunner if played on curve)
    1x Raging Swordtooth (yes, this looks like the activator and it's about as quick as Forerunner (triggering on turn 4-5 the earliest)
    1x Regisaur Alpha (basically the "general" card, giving new cards Haste and thus cntral into pushing)
    1x Burning Sun's Avatar (this is clunky but you can search your deck for it if you need it, it falls short often because 3 damage is not very much)
    1x Ghalta, Primal Hunger (a win condition on its own, I've already seen a full board blocking it, guides advice 4 but I feel that is a LITTLE overkill, maybe 2-3)
    8x Mountain
    12x Forest (maybe Hashep Oasis for better trades?)
    4x Timber Gorge

A weird and terrible Spellweaving deck (30 spells, 10 creatures) that gets shut down HARD by removal. the goal is to dump instants into the graveyard and then use Enigma Drakes for massive damage/Cryptic Serpent is in there for tempo.

Spoiler: Spellweaving ho!
    Show

4x Opt
    3x Magma Spray (sometimes vital, often underwhelming)
    1x Censor
    4x Essence Scatter (I've 'won' games from people tilting when I counter their first creature)
    1x Search for Azcanta (this looks like a good candidate for 4 of)
    2x Seeker of Insight (more cycling)
    4x Strategic Planning (the more I play this deck, the more I realize you play this one as much for the draw as you do for the dumping)
    1x Abrade (singular artifact destruction is a bit meager, even with that much draw, I'd like 2)
    1x Fling (just throw that 12/4 Enigma Drake into your opponent's face)
    4x Lightning Strike (the times this saved me...)
    2x Secrets of the Golden City (thing is, I usually draw this ways before I get the city's blessing, is it still worth?)
    1x Supreme Will (I am sooo luke-warm on this card)
    4x Enigma Drake
    4x Cryptic Servant
    14x Island
    6x Mountain
    4x Highland Lake

The meta defining deck currently imho. almost mono red artifact aggro Dominaria...thing. I don't need tips on that, because that very much looks and feels like a deck worthy of tournament play.

Spoiler: Behold Fire and Robots!
    Show

4x Bomat Courier (how this is not in EVERY RED DECK EVER I cannot fathom)
    2x Soul-Scar Mage
    4x Scrap Scrounger (why is its mana cost black? It should be green, because the crap gets recycled all the time!)
    2x Abrade
    2x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider (summon monkey swarm!)
    2x Lightning Strike
    3x Heart of Kiran (never used that one, but I've played like 3 games with that deck so far)
    4x Goblin Chainwhirler (removal, solid stats, face damage)
    2x Pia Nalaar (her power is used without tapping, that feels a tad OP)
    2x Unlicensed Disintegration (killin' it with lasers)
    3x Chandra, Torch of Defiance (slowly loosing to Planeswalker cards is painful, quickly loosing to them is bearable)
    3x Hazoret the Fervent (3 off might be a bit much tbh but it comes with a discard function that lets it attack)
    2x Glorybringer (removal on a BIG stick, I love it)
    1x Swamp
    14x Mountain
    4x Canyon Slough
    4x Dragonskull Summit
    2x Aether Hub

How do I improve my odds with the dinosaur deck? Do you think the Spellweaving deck is viable? Should I change it up? And can you point me in the direction how to learn to build my own decks (or at least understand deck ideas better?). I am a bit bored after netdecking for years in Hearthstone where at the last, Brian Kibler showed me that fun and competitive decks are not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-07-05 at 03:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    I want to fit Combat Celebrant, Cyclonic Rift, Vesuva, Cavern of Souls, Reflecting Pool, Druids' Repository, and City of Brass in, and I'm at a loss where to switch things out. My play group uses a lot of tricky decks, with mine being the most aggressive and straight up, with another friend running a Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive deck in a close second.
    My advice would to be to swap in the four color-fixing lands and Druid's Repository in for 5 basics. Going down to 39 lands in an aggressive deck is probably safe.

Combat Celebrand and Cyclonic Rift could easily find a place to slot in over Kenra Eternal, Rhox Brute, Relentless Hunter, Voldaren Duelist, Gorehorn Minotaurs, Aven Skirmisher, and/or Goblin Deathraiders,

You might consider Bramblewood Paragon (surprised he's not in there), Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, Brion Stoutarm, Rhys the Redeemed, Hamletback Goliath, Imperious Perfect, Bloodmark Mentor, and Winnower Patrol in for some of those other slots. Synergy > vanilla beatsticks.

I was considering Fertilid for mana and +1/+1 counter synergy... I'll get that instead but Im not sure what to remove in my deck... Should I go with only 37 mana? Im scared of lacking mana in the game
    Sentinel Totem is on the weaker side of cards, as is Corrupted Conscience. You don't quite have the land searching effects to go down to 37; you'd want Kodama's Reach and Cultivate in addition to Fertilid before risking going down that low.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Sentinel Totem is on the weaker side of cards, as is Corrupted Conscience. You don't quite have the land searching effects to go down to 37; you'd want Kodama's Reach and Cultivate in addition to Fertilid before risking going down that low.
    Interesting... I love Corrupted Conscience because it was well, thematic of "Sadness" in Inside Out... but its true that its a very costly card. I didnt consider it before... I wanted to compensate with that with Nissa, Steward of Elements and As Foretold but its commander format and I need more synergy...

But in the same time... I need something against graveyard deck. SOOOO I found THIS card: Game Plan

Game Plan allow me to shuffle ALL graveyards and hands in the library THEN draws 7 cards. Sure it cost a lot but with Assist, a other player with a empty hand can help me pay for the mana needed! It's one of those cards that can be worth it to the right circonstance. It involve game politics as well, which is part of the fun of commander with the right group.

I changed quite a few cards now... I added Emerald Charm for exemple, replacing Unity of Purpose. Less +1/+1 counter but more versatility AND a answer against flying creatures, which my deck lack a bit.

Here the decklist now, with 39 lands for mana...

Please tell me how good the deck is from 1 to 10, 1 being horrible and 10 being competitive level.

Spoiler: The deck
    Show
    Creatures : (24)

1x Prime Speaker Zegana
    2x Drift of Phantasms
    3x Laboratory Maniac
    4x Murkfiend Liege
    5x Solemn Simulacrum
    6x Zameck Guildmage
    7x Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    8x Trygon Predator
    9x Endless One
    10x Chasm Skulker
    11x Plaxcaster Frogling
    12x Burnished Hart
    13x Archetype of Imagination
    14x Thassa, God of the sea
    15x Vorel of the Hull Clade
    16x Temur Sabertooth
    17x Overbeing of Myth
    18x Gyre Sage
    19x Psychosis Crawler
    20x Spike Weaver
    21x Fertilid
    22x Wickerbough Elder
    23x Aeon Chronicler
    24x Forgotten Ancient

Enchantements : (5)

25x Propaganda
    26x As Foretold
    27x Sylvan library
    28x Hadana's scale
    29x Arcane Laboratory

Instant/Sorcery (16)

30x Muddle the Mixture
    31x Dream Fracture
    32x Game Plan
    33x Triumph of the hordes
    34x Simic Charm
    35x Arcane Denial
    36x Windfall
    37x Inspiring Call
    38x Swan Song
    39x Cyclonic Rift
    40x Tezzeret's Gambit
    41x Fuel for the Cause
    42x Stubborn Denial
    43x Curse of the Swine
    44x Keep Watch
    45x Momentous Fall

Artefacts : (12)

46x Bow of Nylea
    47x Otherworld Atlas
    48x Thran Dynamo
    49x Everflowing Chalice
    50x Sol Ring
    51x Hedron Archive
    52x Crawlspace
    53x Whispersilk Cloak
    54x Swiftfoot Boots
    55x Thought Vessel
    56x Cauldron of Souls
    57x Mind's Eye

Planewalkers (2)

58x Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
    59x Nissa, Steward of Elements

1x Reliquary Tower
    1x Field of Ruin
    1x Myriad Landspace
    1x Halimar Depths
    1x Command Tower
    1x Vivid Grove
    1x Vivid Creek
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-09 at 02:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

Here the decklist now, with 39 lands for mana...

Please tell me how good the deck is from 1 to 10, 1 being horrible and 10 being competitive level.
    Defining the scale:
    Spoiler
    Show
    10: This is the kind of degenerate deck that shows why EDH is not a competitive format.
    8: This is a deck that will win most games, is hard to shut down, and increasingly unfun to play against
    5: A forgettable deck that will do moderately well in most games
    3: A pile of decent with an inconsistent theme and little synergy
    1: This is a pile of random cards

This deck is around the 5.5-6 range. It has a clear identity of what it wants to be, but will require actual play to tune the results—there is little redundancy, ability to search the library, mana smoothing and ramp, and it may lack the critical density of synergistic effects to reliably get the effect you want. On the other hand, it's rarely going to leave you unable to do ANYTHING, and it has plenty of room to grow.

I strongly suspect that as time goes on, you're likely to get annoyed at an inconsistent mana base and eventually feel like Library of Leng, Archmage Ascension, Whispersilk Cloak, Voltaic Key, Archetype of Imagination, Tuskguard Captain, Emerald Charm, Arachnogenesis, and some of the Transmute cards are going to feel like they're not pulling their weight. Game Plan might be better replaced with Time Spiral, which is effectively free to cast after a point; Flood of Recollection is a worse Eternal Witness that exiles itself rather than it recurrable; Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, and Beast Within are likely better flying (and non-flying) creature removal than Emerald Charm. I suspect that you might eventually like to have a lategame engine to draw cards that don't require board presence, like Yavimaya Elder + Genesis, or even Whispers of the Muse. But by the time you begin to feel the cards lacking, you'll have a better grasp on the deck's strengths and limitations, and be able to pick cards that fine tune it more.

It can definitely, given time to mature, get into the 7 range of able to win while being fun to play against. But it'll require a few games with the deck to really get a feel for the deck's unaddressed needs.

Also, please consider putting your decklist in a spoiler, to make page-scrolling easier.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2018-07-06 at 01:45 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Good advice and analysis again, thanks!

I'll take Game Plan for now, less costly. Im not paying above 10$ for a card unless necessary lol!

+1 Bow of Nylea
    -1 Flood of Recollection

Your advice was well heard. I discovered Bow of Nylea today and it give me a lot synergy with what Im doing.

+1 Thassa, God of the sea
    -1 Tuskguard Captain

It give me more for what I wanted. Being unblockable is better then Trample and the card is indestructable.

=======

For the rest, it will have to wait until I try out the deck, just like you said...
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-07 at 08:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Did an M19 pre-release today, and got an absurd pool. Not absurdly good or bad, just absurd.

The deck I ended up with was:

1x Shock
    1x Banefire
    2x Highland Game
    1x Goblin Instigator
    1x Dryad Greenseeker
    1x Marauder's Axe
    1x Onakke Ogre
    1x Elvish Rejuvenator
    1x Dragon Egg
    3x Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (!!!)
    1x Giant Spider
    1x Hostile Minotaur
    1x Vine Mare
    1x Volley Veteran
    1x Electrify
    1x Rhox Oracle
    1x Vigilant Baloth
    1x Prodigious Growth
    1x Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner
    10x Forest
    7x Mountain
    1x Plains

I was also one of three people to open a promo Crucible of Worlds.

Dryad Greenseeker was great, drawing me a lot of extra cards and fixing my mana. Prodigious Growth on Vine Mare is completely broken. Goreclaw is very powerful, curving it into Baloth + Vine Mare feels great.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Did anybody get into the Arena beta? It looks pretty fun.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

smile Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

It looks awesome! I tried to register but I didn’t receive a confirmation yet. On a sidenote, I finally have all my cards for my commander deck and will be trying it for the first time next Wednesday. I can’t wait, I’m so looking forward to it!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

It's currently control winter. I'm staying away until they put commander in and add support for phones.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.