New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Another infinite combo, using none of the cards from before.

Naban, Dean of Iteration
    Naru Meha, Master Wizard
    Whisper, Blood Liturgist
    Siege-Gang Commander
    Gift of Growth

Whisper, Neban, in play, Siege-Gang in your graveyard but a goblin token in play.
    Cast gift of Growth on Whisper, in response, cast Naru, copying it twice, both targeting whisper.
    Activate whisper, saccing a goblin token and Naru to return Siege-Gang, making three tokens.
    Let the first copy of Gift of Growth resolve. Activate Whisper, saccing Siege-Gang and a goblin to return Naru, copying Gift of Growth twice again.
    Let Gift of Growth resolve. Sac Naru to return Siege gang. Let Gift of Growth resolve. Sac Siege gang to return Naru, copy Gift of Growth. Rinse and repeat for infinite goblin tokens.

The combo works even if Whisper starts tapped, so you can do it even if Neban or Naru starts in your graveyard.

After making infinite goblins you can also recur any other creature from your graveyard by just reanimating and saccing it in place of Siege-Gang.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2018-04-28 at 03:38 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This set seems to have an abundance of combos.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhat similar to the previous in that it uses Naru and repeated reanimation.

Naru
    Primevals' Glorious Rebirth
    Thallid Omnivore
    Squee, the Immortal
    Skirk Prospector

Thallid Omnivore, Skirk Prospector in play, Squee in play. Play Glorious Rebirth, repspond by playing Naru, copying it. Sac Squee for R, use that R to pay for Thallid Omnivore's ability, saccing Naru. Let the copy resolve returning Naru and Squee to play. Rinse and repeat.
    The result is an infinite/infinite Thallid Omnivore.

If wizard had just printed a costless sac outlet you could play it instead of Squee, Skirk and Thallid, and just add in another legendary with an ETB
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

You can use 2 Naru Meha, Master Wizard and Primeval's Glorious Rebirth to generate a loop which you can then fill in with some kind of legendary looping. Whisper, Blood Liturgist and Garna, the Bloodflame I'm pretty sure lets you just go completely infinite with anything you want.

I've also got infinite mana with Song of Freyalise, Traxos, Scourge of Kroog, Helm of the Host to make 5 Kroog tokens, and 2 Guardians of Korlis.

Here's a stupid one:

Spoiler: Take Infinite Turns with Karn's Temporal Sundering
    Show
    3 The Mirari Conjecture, one in hand, one with 1 lore counter on it, and one with 2 lore counters
    1 Karn's Temporal Sundering
    1 Unwind (or any other counter spell)
    1 Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
    1 Tragic Poet
    A lot of mana sources, I believe at minimum 11 with 3 blue.

1) Allow your copies of The Mirari Conjecture to tick up.
    2) Cast Karn's Temporal Sundering and copy it.
    3) Cast Unwind targeting the original Karn's Temporal Sundering. Make a copy targeting the original Karn's Temporal Sundering.
    4) Allow the copy of Unwind to resolve, countering Karn's Temporal Sundering. Allow the original to fail resolving and go to your graveyard.
    5) Allow your copy of Karn's Temporal Sundering to resolve and take an extra turn after this one.
    6) Sacrifice Tragic Poet to return The Mirari Conjecture to your hand.
    7) Cast The Mirari Conjecture. Using Teshar, return Tragic Poet to the battlefield. Using The Mirari Conjecture, return Unwind from your graveyard to your hand.
    8) At the beginning of your next turn, allow your copies of The Mirari Conjecture to tick up. Return Karn's Temporal Sundering from your graveyard to your hand.
    9) Repeat steps 2-9 to continue taking turns infinitely.
    10) Win through flying beats after bouncing every nonland permanent controlled by players other than you or by adding anything that actually makes this make you win (Cabal Paladin?)

The real question I think is how many different ridiculous things are there?
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2018-04-28 at 04:35 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    This set seems to have an abundance of combos.
    Agreed. I count no less than five different infinite combos that share no cards with each other except the basic lands to cast everything.

There are three powerful recursion engines, each of which goes infinite in a different way:
    Spoiler: Naru Meha
    Show

1) Primeval's Glorious Rebirth goes infinite pretty much automatically when copied with Naru Meha while you have another Naru Meha.

Convert it to something useful either with more legends with ETB/death triggers, or with a third Naru Meha mass-copying any instant you can throw onto the stack.
    Spoiler: Mirari Conjecture
    Show

2) Mirari Conjecture, looped with Regrowth and repeatedly activated with Keldon Warcallers, using copies of Unwind for mana.
    Spoiler: Garna the Bloodflame
    Show

3) Garna the Bloodflame, using Marwyn+Gift of Growth for mana, Song of Freyalise and random green dorks for fixing, and Tragic Poet and Ghitu Chronicler to complete the loop.

Per tgva8889, you can also recur Garna with Whisper, Blood Liturgist rather than another Garna. Either way, the difficulty is in getting enough colored mana to recast whatever you bounced.

And the tight loops posted here:
    4) 0 cost Guardians of Koilos bouncing each other, triggering historic.
    Spoiler: Goblin Prospector
    Show

5) Squee self-recursion with Goblin Prospector (sac outlet and mana) and Teshar (effectively, more mana), again triggering historic
    Last edited by Bucky; 2018-04-28 at 01:15 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Went 1-2 in a Dominaria draft today, playing Red/White/Artifacts (I have never played draft before and am not good at building decks so I'm happy to have won even one round ). Observation: Dominaria did not seem to be a blocking-light set, so I've decided to try this version of the Standard concept I was thinking about before:

Spoiler: Reach Heaven Through Violence
    Show
    Creatures:
    4 Burning-Fist Minotaur
    4 Earthshaker Khenra
    4 Siren Stormtamer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind

Spells:
    4 Renegade Tactics
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Fervent Strike
    4 Run Amok
    4 Wizard's Lightning

Lands:
    4 Highland Lake
    4 Island
    8 Mountain
    4 Sulfur Falls

Sideboard:
    4 Essence Scatter
    4 Magma Spray
    3 Nimble Obstructionist
    4 Spell Pierce

I suspect Renegade Tactics will prove more useful than Crash Through or Warlord's Fury due to being an instant I can trick people with, but I'll have to see.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Best Naru Meha I've got is 2 Naru Meha, Primeval's Glorious Rebirth, Wizard's Lighting, and Naban, 5 card loop for infinite damage.

I think you have to share some cards; I don't see how you get Guardians of Korlis combo, Song of Freyalise combo, and Squee combo in without doubling up on something like Jhoira's Familiar.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

That particular Naru Meha variant (infinite Wizard's Lightnings) was the one I'd canonized in my private records. You can instead do, e.g., infinite pump spells.

More generally, you can amass a collection of spells on the stack that you can copy for free as long as you don't resolve the originals. This was the basis of the "type of combo I've never seen before", but Wizard's Lightning means you only need one spell to achieve infinite damage.

Guardians combo was posted upthread. It uses Helm of the Host to get extra Jhoria's Familiar copies.

Squee combo was also posted upthread:
    Spoiler
    Show

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
    Squee, the Immortal
    Goblin Warchief
    Skirk Prospector
    Cabal Paladin (converting to damage)
    Last edited by Bucky; 2018-04-29 at 01:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Squee combo was also posted upthread:
    Spoiler
    Show

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
    Squee, the Immortal
    Goblin Warchief
    Skirk Prospector
    Cabal Paladin (converting to damage)
    Cabal's the worse converter for Squee combo. You can't return it with Teshar, unlike Diligent Excavator or Goblin Chainwhirler.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I forgot about Goblin Warchief giving you the extra mana you need to loop Squee and Prospector.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Best Naru Meha I've got is 2 Naru Meha, Primeval's Glorious Rebirth, Wizard's Lighting, and Naban, 5 card loop for infinite damage.
    I might be wrong, but wouldn't 2 Naru Meha, Primeval's glorious Rebirth, and Cabal Paladin do the trick?
    Edit: Never mind, it's on cast.

Looked through the set. Can it really be that there isn't any payoff for infinite ETB/death triggers at all except for saprolings dying?
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2018-04-29 at 03:37 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

I mostly like the Teshar combo because Teshar is the only one of those cards that's especially good in limited (and even that's kind of arguable), which means if you get a Teshar and someone passes you a Squee (or vice versa) you can just go for it.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2018-04-29 at 06:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the Mirari Conjecture infinite is the most likely to make it in Standard. Conjecture for Regrow for Conjecture is a solid endgame plan in its own right, and between those pieces they can recur the rest and take over the game even if one of the other pieces is missing.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2018-04-29 at 07:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Given that The Mirari Conjecture is basically just an "I win" engine already, I don't expect people to be trying to go very infinite with it but it's certainly possible. You're probably winning without using the specific combo involving the Warcaller since that card is pretty miserable.

In terms of infinite combos in Standard, once you open up other sets you get a lot more options. A free sac outlet in Yahenni opens up a few more things to do with Teshar than before, for example.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Given that The Mirari Conjecture is basically just an "I win" engine already, I don't expect people to be trying to go very infinite with it but it's certainly possible. You're probably winning without using the specific combo involving the Warcaller since that card is pretty miserable.

In terms of infinite combos in Standard, once you open up other sets you get a lot more options. A free sac outlet in Yahenni opens up a few more things to do with Teshar than before, for example.
    If you can get there, Combat Celebrant + Helm of the Host gives infinite combat phases.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Made a Slimefoot Brawl deck, if anyone can provide feedback: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/201...y0RT85jXwywQ==

The goal is to get lots of saprolings out and sack them for the aristocrat effect of Slimefoot. Barring that, swinging big with lots of dudes.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Someone have a suggestion for a good " Firesong and Sunspeaker " commander deck list?

I found a few but they dont seem as powerful as my "Talrand the Sky Summoner " commander deck... or Am I mistaken?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Someone have a suggestion for a good " Firesong and Sunspeaker " commander deck list?

I found a few but they dont seem as powerful as my "Talrand the Sky Summoner " commander deck... or Am I mistaken?
    Here's what EDHREC has for them.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Here's what EDHREC has for them.
    Thanks!

I wanted to make a " False Cure " deck (No matter the format) but it was hard to pull off.

With this new commander though, I dont have to splash black (I dont really like black except for the fearies) and it looks so much fun to play (for me at least) XD
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-04-30 at 03:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Firbolg in the Playground

I haven't been following MtG for a while now, but I'm kinda hyped for Dominaria lore-wise. What's the general feel of the set mechanically though? Does anything stand out to give it a distinctive playstyle?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

It's generally really fun, from what I've seen. The archetypes aren't as hard and fast as the past couple formats, so you're not punished for not sticking with your first few picks in draft. You're more able to pivot because it isn't "on rails" so to speak. But it's still defined to the point that there ARE archetypes. Oh, and there's no bombs quite as ridiculous as Tetizmoc was in Rivals of Ixalan limited, though there are some cards that are very powerful. Like, if your opponent resolves a kicked Josu Vess, you're almost definitely losing that game. (But that's ten mana, three of which is black pips)
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Various commentators seem to have overlooked that the new Squee is the most reliable legendary sorcery enabler in the set.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

What, in Limited? He's quite useful, but you still need a minimum count of legendary creatures to play the sorceries with anything resembling reliability.

He's probably more significant for powering up the B/R sac-for-value archetype.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

As it turns out, a random 2/1 that you can play over and over in the late game is actually just a reasonable playable and you should probably consider taking it. When I had played Squee at the prerelease I realized that he just traded with lots of things which is straight value. Also I needed him for my 2 Jaya's Immolating Infernos so there's that.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Squee is also:
    *One of the best ways to get extra value from Final Parting
    *A supercharger for your Urza's Tome and/or Thallid Soothsayer engine
    *Repeatable saproling juice for your Fungal Plots
    *Siege-Gang Commander's best friend
    Last edited by Bucky; 2018-05-04 at 11:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I built my first standard deck today, testing is going decent. I feel like I want the fourth Arguel, it guarantees a card draw every turn which the deck needs, and I want an additional payoff card.

http://deck.tk/1I325GCs

22 Swamp
    4 Cabal Stronghold
    4 Never/Return
    3 Divest
    2 Duress
    3 Arguel's Blood Fast
    4 Battle at the Bridge

4 Kitesail Freebooter
    4 Dread Shade
    3 Josu Vess, Lich Knight
    4 Gifted Aetherborn
    3 Ravenous Chupacabra

side:
    4 Golden Demise
    3 Lost Legacy
    2 walk the plank
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Some amount of Vraska's contempt's over the Never//Return might be advisable. Sure, it's one mana more, but being an instant is sometimes really, really important

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Some amount of Vraska's contempt's over the Never//Return might be advisable. Sure, it's one mana more, but being an instant is sometimes really, really important
    I see your point, it is a good idea in the long run. I'm just hesitant to buy a piece of removal where 2 of them cost the same as the rest of the deck combined (both in paper and online).

I also think Karn would be good but would be multiple times the cost of the rest of the deck and is only circumstantially better then Blood Fast.

I still think it is odd that Greed and Cabal Coffers got fixed reprints in the same set, and cost less then a buck each. With Battle at the Bridge and Gifted Aetherborn I often draw 6+ cards off of Blood Fast a game and remain at 20 health.

Are there any good spell based finishers in black? UW is nearly impossible, I can't interact much beyond drawing threats to be fumigated.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-05-07 at 10:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Torment of Hailfire, maybe?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Torment of Hailfire, maybe?
    Oooh, that looks neat! I can stick a few in the side and swap a chubacabra or two out if the main for some, gives me an additional win con and should be good against aggro if cast for lower amounts quickly.

Edit: I just realized there are dual lands in Standard due to bicycles. So cabal stronghold could be used with a splash.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-05-08 at 01:33 AM.