New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Is anyone familiar with a certain parody card that, while nowhere near printable for black-border, would almost work in silver-border, the biggest problem being that a card's name is not considered part of its text?

I believe it was called "Great Ttargeter."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Just finished something I've been working on for two months. I analyzed shuffling in a million games.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Just finished something I've been working on for two months. I analyzed shuffling in a million games.
    Wow, congrats! I'm looking at it now but wanted to say this looks really cool!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Really impressive! It matches some of the assumptions pros online have had about land distribution changing by number in deck, it is 😎 to have confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

It is nice to know from your study that it's not just me and I do seem to get mana screwed proportionally more when I keep 2-land hands in Limited than I probably should.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-03-17 at 02:29 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

As people in the comments of the reddit post have already said, your research would have greatly benefited from a proper hypothesis.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably a bit too much harking for its own good. But not bad.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

8. - Top - End - #878

While I think my results are strong enough to be considered significant already, I am seriously considering resetting the aggregation, starting it from the point just after I took all those screenshots, and trying to do a more formalized and strict followup analysis. I would state in advance a number of things I would look for in exacting detail, guided by the discrepancies and trends I found the first time, and then check how well the new data fits them. If you have any suggestions or requests regarding this, please post them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

While I think my results are strong enough to be considered significant already, I am seriously considering resetting the aggregation, starting it from the point just after I took all those screenshots, and trying to do a more formalized and strict followup analysis. I would state in advance a number of things I would look for in exacting detail, guided by the discrepancies and trends I found the first time, and then check how well the new data fits them. If you have any suggestions or requests regarding this, please post them.
    My only one would be to post the hypothesis and method on reddit, and possibly here, for critique/correction before you begin.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Trailer time!

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

11. - Top - End - #881
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And we have confirmation on how planeswalkers work! Putting it in spoilers for now, in case people want to go in clean.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    All planeswalkers will have static/triggered abilities. Rare planeswalkers only have two loyalty abilities, and uncommon planeswalkers only have a minus ability.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2019-04-01 at 01:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Trailer time!

It looks like Liliana's condition just became terminal.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I am getting more excited for War of the Spark. I got back into the Magic story with dominaria, and I really liked the parts from Lilliana's perspective; it did a really good job portraying her as very much a black character, and also heroic, in her own selfish way.

Also I think I have a couple commander decks that want the new Lilliana.

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    It looks like Liliana's condition just became terminal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, she wasn't serving Bolas willingly in the first place. This is more rebelling than backstabbing.

It seems unlikely that they'll actually kill off one of the 5 main planeswalkers permanently. I could see them going for a heroic sacrifice followed by some form of resurrection, though.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This is more rebelling than backstabbing.
    I don't see much distinction, but I'm not going to go into more details than that, because the Forum Rules say not to.

EDIT: I'm at least 80% certain Sarkhan is going to be Mythic Rare.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-03-31 at 04:23 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

I love the fact that they reprinted Ajani's Pridemate. Again. Is this common to reprint cards every 6 months?

17. - Top - End - #887

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't see much distinction, but I'm not going to go into more details than that, because the Forum Rules say not to.

EDIT: I'm at least 80% certain Sarkhan is going to be Mythic Rare.
    Seems like a matter of definitions to me, ones that don't strike me as being controversial, at least in the sense of actions towards an individual. Rebelling is when you turn on someone that had been coercing you, backstabbing is when you turn on someone you were the willing ally of. If you were thinking of definitions relating to a government, then yes that might be too close to politics.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Not entirely sure what happened in that trailer.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

I think that if they don't kill any characters this story will be utterly meaningless. Some people are gonna have to die for me to feel like there have been any stakes in this fight, given how much setup there has been. They've been setting up pretty hard that either Liliana or Gideon is not going to make it out of this one alive (and possibly both might die). I think Liliana meeting her end trying to fight against Nicol Bolas is pretty fitting for her character and a reasonable way to end her story.

Spoiler: Trailer Summary
    Show
    It seems like Liliana saw that leading the army of Eternals caused the death of an innocent woman and her child/brother, which probably reminded her of her own past mistakes with her own brother who she just wanted to save but messed up made her feel that instead of fighting against Gideon she should instead send her army after Nicol Bolas, who in response activated some kind of magic which caused her to turn to ash, probably related to her demonic pact which makes her immortal. Nicol Bolas now owns that pact since, awkwardly, Liliana killed the last demon she had made a pact with so Nicol Bolas now owns her soul or something, so this seems like more or less the end of Liliana.

Oh also Dack Fayden died, I think? He sure got stabbed and then had his soul or something sucked out by that Eternal, which seems pretty bad.

Also worth noting that it seems the art from the stained glass Planeswalkers seems to just be stained glass versions of the actual art on the planeswalker cards in this set, so we have a nice preview of some awesome art to come.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-04-01 at 03:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Surprising it took this long for static ability planeswalkers to pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I would like to ask the thread for advice, if I may - specifically, if anyone has much experience in the secondary market for old Magic cards?

I haven't played the game IRL in... probably about 4 years, and I've reached the point now where my two big shoe-boxes full of Magic cards are becoming a hindrance.... and I'm not sure what to do with them. I estimate that I have up to 5,000 of them from between Ravnica and Innistrad, with a handful of older ones (between M7 and Scourge mostly, I think) that I picked up as freebies from places like Manaleak and random lots on eBay, back when I still thought that was a good way to get good cards.

I've briefly glanced through them all and probably less than 500 are actually worth anything beyond pennies, and of those only 10% are likely to have any meaningful value - a couple of early Planeswalkers, some limited edition Eldrazi Legendaries, a handful of multicoloured/rare lands like Vesuva, a set of original Doubling Seasons, that sort of thing. Very little that was expensive even back when they were in the meta, and certainly not now, half a decade on.

Just enough, in other words, that I'm loathe to just throw the lot into the trash and forget about it, but also far too many to put on eBay as a job-lot. No one in their right mind would take my word for it that, at the bottom of this ~8kg box which you have just paid P&P for, there's a handful of stuff that you might like. My other option seems to be going through absolutely everything one at a time, copying it into a spreadsheet and spending the next 6 months selling singles until the collection has been picked clean before burning the rest, and I have neither the time nor the will to spend the hours needed to do that and then price-match them all, and then upload pictures of them.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Do you have any ideas or recommendations as to a reasonable solution? The Troll Trader will buy large lots of unwanted miniatures if you're into 40k or similar, and Magpie.com will take CD's and DVD's off your hands in bulk, so I'm curious if anyone knows of a service that will do the same for Magic cards?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    And we have confirmation on how planeswalkers work! Putting it in spoilers for now, in case people want to go in clean.
    Rare planeswalkers seem to be missing an ultimate
    Spoiler
    Show
    New Jace disagrees with that statement.

It seems unlikely that they'll actually kill off one of the 5 main planeswalkers permanently. I could see them going for a heroic sacrifice followed by some form of resurrection, though.
    I think they'll kill her, and I hope they will, not because I don't like Liliana, I do, but because it seems like the best ending to her story, and we are nearing the conclusion of the story, so it doesn't seem off the table at all. Definitely not considering what happened to Garruk.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #893

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Not entirely sure what happened in that trailer.
    How much do you know of the previous story? Liliana, years ago, made a pact with 4 Demon Lords (Kothophed, Griselbrand, Razaketh, and Belzenlok) for power and immortality. She then tried to kill them to free herself. In Dominaria, she succeeded, killing Belzenlok, the last of the Demon Lords. However, the fine print of her contract is that should all the demons die, control of the pact will fall to Nicol Bolas, as he had planned.

Anyway, in the Trailer, Liliana watches a girl and her brother die, then Dack Fayden, and decides she won't allow herself to be Bolas's puppet anymore and turns his Eternal army against him, saving Gideon. But, as Bolas now has control of Liliana through her Demonic Pact, he burns her. Whether or not this is the end for her is an unanswered question. The only thing that's odd is that the trailer starts in reverse time.

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Surprising it took this long for static ability planeswalkers to pop up.
    Maro stated that the original design for Nicol Bolas in Hour of Devastation had a static ability, but they wanted to hold back on that piece of technology for a bit longer. Planeswalkers have limited design space, and WotC is loathe to use it up too quickly.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: I found an image of a card from the coming-eventually 4th un-set, Unfamiliar
    Show
    April Fools! It's not printable even in silver-border.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #895

GreenSorcererElf

It seems to me Mesmerizing Benthid could become a pretty cool card once Teo's Lightshield enters circulation. I'll get REALLY excited if there's something in a rare slot with the illusion subtype.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems Bolas will have to learn a lesson I learned the ahrd way as well.

Never leave crucial parts of your plan in the hands of third party people, they can screw things up or betray you when you least expect.

It was foolish of him to trust Liliana. It was foolish of him to leave such crucial part of his plan in the hands of soemone who he knows can't be trusted.

He was a fool and now he will pay for that. Like all fools he pictured himself as smater and superior than he actually is. Liliana solidarity and humanity prevailed her selfish desire for power.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I would like to ask the thread for advice, if I may - specifically, if anyone has much experience in the secondary market for old Magic cards?

I haven't played the game IRL in... probably about 4 years, and I've reached the point now where my two big shoe-boxes full of Magic cards are becoming a hindrance.... and I'm not sure what to do with them. I estimate that I have up to 5,000 of them from between Ravnica and Innistrad, with a handful of older ones (between M7 and Scourge mostly, I think) that I picked up as freebies from places like Manaleak and random lots on eBay, back when I still thought that was a good way to get good cards.

I've briefly glanced through them all and probably less than 500 are actually worth anything beyond pennies, and of those only 10% are likely to have any meaningful value - a couple of early Planeswalkers, some limited edition Eldrazi Legendaries, a handful of multicoloured/rare lands like Vesuva, a set of original Doubling Seasons, that sort of thing. Very little that was expensive even back when they were in the meta, and certainly not now, half a decade on.

Just enough, in other words, that I'm loathe to just throw the lot into the trash and forget about it, but also far too many to put on eBay as a job-lot. No one in their right mind would take my word for it that, at the bottom of this ~8kg box which you have just paid P&P for, there's a handful of stuff that you might like. My other option seems to be going through absolutely everything one at a time, copying it into a spreadsheet and spending the next 6 months selling singles until the collection has been picked clean before burning the rest, and I have neither the time nor the will to spend the hours needed to do that and then price-match them all, and then upload pictures of them.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Do you have any ideas or recommendations as to a reasonable solution? The Troll Trader will buy large lots of unwanted miniatures if you're into 40k or similar, and Magpie.com will take CD's and DVD's off your hands in bulk, so I'm curious if anyone knows of a service that will do the same for Magic cards?
    Some sites will bulk buy magic cards for .01c a card or so, if you want to just unload them. Frankly I would find an adult whose kids want to try it and give it to them, that is how I got into magic as a kid and since the group's cards will all be mostly bad it will be roughly balanced.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #898
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    It seems Bolas will have to learn a lesson I learned the ahrd way as well.

Never leave crucial parts of your plan in the hands of third party people, they can screw things up or betray you when you least expect.

It was foolish of him to trust Liliana. It was foolish of him to leave such crucial part of his plan in the hands of soemone who he knows can't be trusted.

He was a fool and now he will pay for that. Like all fools he pictured himself as smater and superior than he actually is. Liliana solidarity and humanity prevailed her selfish desire for power.
    In his defense the contract is designed to kill her almost immediately as soon as he activates it. The instant she betrays he can snuff her out pretty easily.

Of course, then she called his bluff. And I like the theory that Bolas CAN'T actually control the Eternals without her help.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

The more I see of this set, the more excited I am to try it out. I have no idea what this experience will be like, but I'm really excited to play Planeswalkers in limited and try to get value out of these uncommon ones that just minus to death. There's a lot of fun build-around cards in this set and I'm excited to try to make these cards come together into a cohesive whole.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, she wasn't serving Bolas willingly in the first place. This is more rebelling than backstabbing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will direct you to the tragic tale of Garruk Wildspeaker, one of the first five flagship planeswalkers with great mono-green mechanics and a simple, clean character motivation. He was given an arc of aborted character development and is presently a non-character with all traces of personality lost and, insult to injury, was mostly written out of the story.

He has been replaced by (from when I read Zendikar original novels) an elf supremacist who screwed up beyond imagining and went on to be the flagship character after they rewrote her almost entirely to pick up all the elements that Garruk's personality lost.

They are 100% okay with killing off or writing out lead characters.

Please let it be Jace this time.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show