New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

That's still in closed beta
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

I have access to the closed beta. If you want to help me since I'm pretty inexperienced, I would appreciate the help and continue to upload videos on it.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    (StP and Path say hello.)
    Swords and Path really are the only two cards in white that does that, or anything close to that. You can use them as a baseline for deck building, but not for information about the color pie.

Black is the most efficient at removal, color pie wise.
    Black is also the only color with targeted discard, which you seem to have missed.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a few more hyper-efficient white removal spells, they're just narrower. Blazing Hope, Chained to the Rocks, Dispatch, Reciprocate, and possibly Time to Reflect. (I do admit black has the broadest removal, though). I just named the two best examples. And I did miss discard, which black is absolutely the best at. Black is also approximately equal with white in terms of mass removal (boardwipes/wraths/whatever you wanna call them)
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Swords and Path really are the only two cards in white that does that, or anything close to that. You can use them as a baseline for deck building, but not for information about the color pie.

Black is the most efficient at removal, color pie wise.
    Black is also the only color with targeted discard, which you seem to have missed.
    As far the removal bit goes, I think a lot of a color’s identity has to with how it is used in practice. Swords and Path are among the most played cards in white (if not the most played). The argument that if a player runs into White and they start expecting path/swords, cheap removal with a drawback is probably part of White’s identity. It might not be designed with such in mind, but we also don’t think of the game and the colors in terms of design. We think mostly of them in terms of play.

There are also a lot of other effects on white that remove with drawback such as Oblation or Council’s Judgment (although the latter has no drawback outside of multiplayer).

That said, Black gets cheap and efficient creature removal, going all the way back to good ol’ Terror and up to today’s Fatal Push. The difference between these is the drawback that white has.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    There's a few more hyper-efficient white removal spells, they're just narrower. Blazing Hope, Chained to the Rocks, Dispatch, Reciprocate, and possibly Time to Reflect. (I do admit black has the broadest removal, though). I just named the two best examples. And I did miss discard, which black is absolutely the best at. Black is also approximately equal with white in terms of mass removal (boardwipes/wraths/whatever you wanna call them)
    Chained to the Rocks is the only one that gets even within the vicinity.
    The problem is all of them have conditions, Path and Swords don't, they just have downsides.
    You didn't name the two best examples, you named the two examples.

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    As far the removal bit goes, I think a lot of a color’s identity has to with how it is used in practice. Swords and Path are among the most played cards in white (if not the most played). The argument that if a player runs into White and they start expecting path/swords, cheap removal with a drawback is probably part of White’s identity. It might not be designed with such in mind, but we also don’t think of the game and the colors in terms of design. We think mostly of them in terms of play.
    That's not how the color wheel works.

There are also a lot of other effects on white that remove with drawback such as Oblation or Council’s Judgment (although the latter has no drawback outside of multiplayer).
    Those are three mana, not really efficient.

Council's Judgment is great, but it's also different since it was made for a multiplayer set.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #217

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    That's not how the color wheel works.
    It's arguable. Ultimately, the players playing the game determine the game's identity as it exists mechanically. If the designers make a whole bunch of cards with mechanic A and a handful involving mechanic B in a certain color, all those folks playing the game will remember the cards that get to the table.

As far as design goes, I think you are correct, but that view also ought to consider how play impacts iterative design. Consider the original cycle of 1 mana for a 3 thing. Dark Ritual shows that fast mana was originally conceived to be a part of Black, but it has since been largely phased out of the game or color-shifted to Red (consider the more recent Seething Song or Pyretic Ritual). The color pie isn't just something that exists as an ideal out there. It continually interacts with the world through the medium of play and the perception players have through play.

Also, Black has about the same level of removal efficiency compared to white (just without the drawbacks). Dark Banishing, Hero's Downfall, and Murder all cost 3. Cheaper effects are more limited (like disfigure or doomblade), or are a non-targeted edict effect. Black just doesn't have the same downsides and usually gets to stay at instant speed.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

The thing is, Swords is old enough that it shouldn't be considered representative and Path is considered to be a mistake. It really only matters for setting expectations for new sets and if you like to design your own cards, but Maro has said that we probably won't see the likes of Path and Swords again, as long as he has a say in the matter.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

He's said a lot of stuff that lately hasn't held up, so....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    He's said a lot of stuff that lately hasn't held up, so....
    Please supply some examples when making a comment like this.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Just came back from my first pre-release! I only played one round, as it's late and I'm playing again in the morning, but I went 2-0 with Boros aggro. Kwende, Pride of Femeref + Warlord's Fury does some good work; I swung for 22.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

12. - Top - End - #222

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Just came back from my first pre-release! I only played one round, as it's late and I'm playing again in the morning, but I went 2-0 with Boros aggro. Kwende, Pride of Femeref + Warlord's Fury does some good work; I swung for 22.
    RW tends to do pretty well in sealed in my experience (unless your pool really sucks). I remember that in almost every draft and sealed event I did for Battle for Zendikar I played RW and did pretty well. Those colors tend to have your solid commons and uncommons that work fine enough without a lot of extra support to make them strong (passing the vanilla test is a big deal).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

My second prerelease also went well, going 3-1 with Abzan tokens/legends. On Serra's Wings is a very good card. I would probably have done better without splashing red for Kazarov, though.

I've gotten the list for my Esper control deck down to 60 cards, now I'm working out my sideboard plan. I have one for control, but I'm not sure about aggro. I definitely want Authority of the Consuls, Lyra and probably The Scarab God, but I'm not sure what to take out for them. Disallows, maybe?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, I was at a prerelease last night and On Serra's Wings was such a great bomb in the limited environment. Especially since it felt like there was less flying than I am used to from drafting in other sets.

I went 2-3 or 3-2 or maybe 3-3 with my white/green tokens deck. (Midnight pre-release, went 5 or 6 rounds, is all fuzzy)

I think everyone I played against had white as one of their colors, except maybe the last guy. I just remember I went 2-1 vs him grinding him down in game 2 and 3 after the first game he got a turn 4 lamp genie dude. (the one you can pay 4 and tap an artifact instead of paying his cost)

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

My second prerelease also went well, going 3-1 with Abzan tokens/legends. On Serra's Wings is a very good card.
    I am not sure why this surprises anyone. Angelic Destiny was the most overpowered card in M12 for a reason, Gift of Orzhova was the one card in Gatecrash that could compete with Madcap Skills, Aerial Responder was one of the better cards of Kaladesh, and being able to stick it on a large body in a slower format will win games. This is completely as expected.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

After a few years' absence, I'm thinking of getting back into Standard. Looking at Dominaria, I like the idea of running this...

Spoiler
    Show
    2 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    3 Firefist Adept
    4 Ghitu Chronicler
    4 Ghitu Journeymage
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    3 Pyromantic Pilgrim

4 Fervent Strike
    4 Run Amok
    4 Shivan Fire
    4 Warlord's Fury
    4 Wizard's Lightning

4 Highland Lake
    14 Mountain
    2 Sulfur Falls

But I'm not sure what to do for a sideboard. I'm thinking of using the sideboard for more burn, since I can see how the main deck is lighter on it than it could be (I personally don't find straight burn all that much fun, but I can see removal being an issue). Suggestions?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    After a few years' absence, I'm thinking of getting back into Standard. Looking at Dominaria, I like the idea of running this...

Spoiler
    Show
    2 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    3 Firefist Adept
    4 Ghitu Chronicler
    4 Ghitu Journeymage
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    3 Pyromantic Pilgrim

4 Fervent Strike
    4 Run Amok
    4 Shivan Fire
    4 Warlord's Fury
    4 Wizard's Lightning

4 Highland Lake
    14 Mountain
    2 Sulfur Falls

But I'm not sure what to do for a sideboard. I'm thinking of using the sideboard for more burn, since I can see how the main deck is lighter on it than it could be (I personally don't find straight burn all that much fun, but I can see removal being an issue). Suggestions?
    I think you're running too many high cost cards in what probably wants to be a very aggressive deck. Chronicler and Firefist in particular are just too expensive for what they do. If you want to stick 100% to Dominaria you might have to use them, but if you're okay branching out you could do something like this:

Spoiler: The Wind And The Ash It Carries
    Show
    4x Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    4x Soul-Scar Mage
    4x Ghitu Lavarunner
    4x Siren Stormtamer
    4x Spellweaver Eternal

4x Warlord's Fury
    4x Crash Through
    4x Wizard's Lightning
    4x Lightning Strike
    4x Renegade Tactics

4x Spirebluff Canal
    4x Sulfur Falls
    7x Mountain
    5x Island

Not sure about the sideboard at the moment, but Spell Pierce is a shoo-in, and Nimble Obstructionist could be good too. The Flame of Keld might be good if you find yourself emptying your hand a lot, but I suspect there's enough cantrips to get you to 20 with a few cards left in your hand.
    Last edited by Dhavaer; 2018-04-21 at 06:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

I think you're running too many high cost cards in what probably wants to be a very aggressive deck. Chronicler and Firefist in particular are just too expensive for what they do. If you want to stick 100% to Dominaria you might have to use them, but if you're okay branching out you could do something like this:

Spoiler: The Wind And The Ash It Carries
    Show
    4x Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    4x Soul-Scar Mage
    4x Ghitu Lavarunner
    4x Siren Stormtamer
    4x Spellweaver Eternal

4x Warlord's Fury
    4x Crash Through
    4x Wizard's Lightning
    4x Lightning Strike
    4x Renegade Tactics

4x Spirebluff Canal
    4x Sulfur Falls
    7x Mountain
    5x Island

Not sure about the sideboard at the moment, but Spell Pierce is a shoo-in, and Nimble Obstructionist could be good too. The Flame of Keld might be good if you find yourself emptying your hand a lot, but I suspect there's enough cantrips to get you to 20 with a few cards left in your hand.
    ...Well, here I was trying to come up with a cool name for the deck, and you go and do that. *grumble, grumble*

I wasn't super happy about the cost on Firefist or Chronicler's kick, either. I do like the idea of sticking to Dominaria as much as possible, so as to get more longevity before things cycle out, but I'm really fine with anything besides Kaladesh. Because I'm too much of a Vorthos for my own good, I'd also like to avoid Soul-scar and Spellweaver, since they clash with the flavor I have in mind. Going by that, I come up with this...

Spoiler: Reach Heaven Through Violence
    Show
    4 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    4 Earthshaker Khenra
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Pyromantic Pilgrim
    4 Siren Stormtamer

4 Crash Through
    4 Fervent Strike
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Warlord's Fury
    4 Wizard's Lightning

4 Highland Lake
    4 Island
    8 Mountain
    4 Sulfur Falls

Earthshaker is something I was looking at anyway, since I see it coming highly recommended in RDW, and I feel like that plus Crash Through should cover Renegade Tactics' niche well enough.

Still not sure about sideboard, but Spell Pierce and Obstructionist do look good, and the extra Blue gives me more to play around with in terms of control (which I'm about as unenthusiastic about as straight burn, but if it works...). I'll look around some more. Planning on doing the draft next weekend, so hopefully that'll give me a chance to scope things out.

Edit: How about this?

Spoiler: Sideboard
    Show
    3 Nimble Obstructionist

4 Shivan Fire
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Wizard's Retort
    Last edited by Amaril; 2018-04-21 at 07:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I enjoyed the Dominaria prerelease--only downside is that I thought it could have used something to give it a bit more speed. It didn't feel like games really started until turn 4. I went 3-1 on blue fliers (a tried and true limited strategy) splashing red for some burn and Verix Bladewing. I actually ran 2 copies of the 8/8 leviathan--had a good time.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    I enjoyed the Dominaria prerelease--only downside is that I thought it could have used something to give it a bit more speed. It didn't feel like games really started until turn 4. I went 3-1 on blue fliers (a tried and true limited strategy) splashing red for some burn and Verix Bladewing. I actually ran 2 copies of the 8/8 leviathan--had a good time.
    I liked it myself, but I agree that most of the power is in the four-drop slot. There is good stuff before then, but not much.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Doing a two-headed giant prerelease tomorrow, any advice?

Team Name: Mister Mind Bullets and The Great Devourer (he plays Thousand Sons in Warhammer, I play Tyranids)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

...Well, here I was trying to come up with a cool name for the deck, and you go and do that. *grumble, grumble*

I wasn't super happy about the cost on Firefist or Chronicler's kick, either. I do like the idea of sticking to Dominaria as much as possible, so as to get more longevity before things cycle out, but I'm really fine with anything besides Kaladesh. Because I'm too much of a Vorthos for my own good, I'd also like to avoid Soul-scar and Spellweaver, since they clash with the flavor I have in mind. Going by that, I come up with this...

Spoiler: Reach Heaven Through Violence
    Show
    4 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
    4 Earthshaker Khenra
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Pyromantic Pilgrim
    4 Siren Stormtamer

4 Crash Through
    4 Fervent Strike
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Warlord's Fury
    4 Wizard's Lightning

4 Highland Lake
    4 Island
    8 Mountain
    4 Sulfur Falls

Earthshaker is something I was looking at anyway, since I see it coming highly recommended in RDW, and I feel like that plus Crash Through should cover Renegade Tactics' niche well enough.

Still not sure about sideboard, but Spell Pierce and Obstructionist do look good, and the extra Blue gives me more to play around with in terms of control (which I'm about as unenthusiastic about as straight burn, but if it works...). I'll look around some more. Planning on doing the draft next weekend, so hopefully that'll give me a chance to scope things out.

Edit: How about this?

Spoiler: Sideboard
    Show
    3 Nimble Obstructionist

4 Shivan Fire
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Wizard's Retort
    What's the flavour you have in mind? Without Soul-Scar and Spellweaver you lose a lot of the instant/sorcery synergy. Maybe you'd be better off going a bit bigger and heavier in blue, playing Naru and Naban?

If you want to stick with the aggro plan, there's probably not enough blue sources to support Retort. Negate and Essence Scatter are your counters of choice, I think. Magma Spray is generally going to be a better sideboard card than Shivan Fire too, as the exile clause may be relevant.

Earthshaker Khenra isn't a Wizard, so there's no synergy with Adeliz. If you need a 2-drop, maybe Burning-Fist Minotaur?

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

Chimera

Did two Prereleases. Did okay. Managed to pull a bunch of cards that will be going into my various EDH decks.

One question, I've dipped into standard for the first time by buying the Second Sun control deck. Obviously Sealed Away is an upgrade from Dominaria, but I have no experience with Standard and not sure what else I should do to the deck. I was debating making it a cycling deck but was wondering if there were other suggestions. I did get a set of Glacial Fortresses to upgrade the manabase, but I otherwise want to keep the upgrades on the inexpensive side.

24. - Top - End - #234

What's the flavour you have in mind? Without Soul-Scar and Spellweaver you lose a lot of the instant/sorcery synergy. Maybe you'd be better off going a bit bigger and heavier in blue, playing Naru and Naban?

If you want to stick with the aggro plan, there's probably not enough blue sources to support Retort. Negate and Essence Scatter are your counters of choice, I think. Magma Spray is generally going to be a better sideboard card than Shivan Fire too, as the exile clause may be relevant.

Earthshaker Khenra isn't a Wizard, so there's no synergy with Adeliz. If you need a 2-drop, maybe Burning-Fist Minotaur?
    Someone who doesn't want anything to do with Bolas, for one. I would rather like to stick to aggro--played enough blue in the past that I want to try something different for a bit.

Do you really think the wizard synergy is more valuable than the block bypass? I'm a little anxious about not being able to get attacks through--it's not like I'm playing goblins, I probably can't count on drowning them in numbers alone, and Adeliz and the Stormtamers are all too easy to get rid of.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone who doesn't want anything to do with Bolas, for one. I would rather like to stick to aggro--played enough blue in the past that I want to try something different for a bit.

Do you really think the wizard synergy is more valuable than the block bypass? I'm a little anxious about not being able to get attacks through--it's not like I'm playing goblins, I probably can't count on drowning them in numbers alone, and Adeliz and the Stormtamers are all too easy to get rid of.
    Why is Soul-Scar too Bolas and not Earthshaker? Earthshaker has an explicitly Bolas-related ability, Soul-Scar is just some Amonkheti dude.

A one-off conditional 'can't block' isn't worth much on its own. You're unlikely to get to the point where you can Eternalise it and still be in with a shot at winning. Renegade Tactics at least cantrips and has some synergy with Adeliz and Lavarunner. Your best weapon against blockers is probably bluffing combat tricks, or a burn spell when you have Warlord's Fury up. I've mostly found standard to be a fairly blocking-light format at the moment, although that may change in Dominaria.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

Why is Soul-Scar too Bolas and not Earthshaker? Earthshaker has an explicitly Bolas-related ability, Soul-Scar is just some Amonkheti dude.
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Soul-scar is a man with a fanatical-looking light in his eyes and a snarl of rage on his face, wielding a brand in the shape of Bolas' symbol, and powers that seem to be about inflicting permanent, painful harm on enemies. Looks pretty evil to me.

Show

By contrast, the impression I get from Earthshaker is of a warrior born into Amonkheti society, raised according to its values and living by them because it's what they know, but not fanatically dedicated to them. I'm given to understand many Amonkheti joined the Gatewatch against Bolas once they learned the truth about their religion, and Earthshaker could easily follow that path. If I were planning on Eternalizing them, it'd be different, but I wouldn't, so...

(Not saying I feel super attached to using them, I'm just talking about fluff now.)

A one-off conditional 'can't block' isn't worth much on its own. You're unlikely to get to the point where you can Eternalise it and still be in with a shot at winning. Renegade Tactics at least cantrips and has some synergy with Adeliz and Lavarunner. Your best weapon against blockers is probably bluffing combat tricks, or a burn spell when you have Warlord's Fury up. I've mostly found standard to be a fairly blocking-light format at the moment, although that may change in Dominaria.
    Fair enough. I might bend my no-Kaladesh restriction for Renegade Tactics.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I have to disagree with you. Yes, target “can’t block this turn” is not worth a card, and eternalise is pretty much ignorable for this deck. You seem to be ignoring the fact that it’s on a 2 power hastey dude. Creating a pemernat threat makes all the difference.

Fair enough. I might bend my no-Kaladesh restriction for Renegade Tactics.
    Don’t. Renegade Tactics actually isn’t worth the mana to cast. With an aggro deck you don’t really want any cards that don’t create an on board threat, or deals direct damage to your opponent’s creatures. Renegade tactics does not do this.

Edit: I’d actually probably put Tactics ahead of Crash Through. I think there’s more sitiuations where getting rid of their best blocker is better than trampling over for like an extra 2 damage. If you want trample I’d maybe look into something like Invigorated Rampage (although that is Kaladeshian) or maybe Brute strength.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2018-04-22 at 10:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

not sure if I asked...

What is the best aggro deck color combo? I bet it is either mono red or something with red in it.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Show

Soul-scar is a man with a fanatical-looking light in his eyes and a snarl of rage on his face, wielding a brand in the shape of Bolas' symbol, and powers that seem to be about inflicting permanent, painful harm on enemies. Looks pretty evil to me.

Show

By contrast, the impression I get from Earthshaker is of a warrior born into Amonkheti society, raised according to its values and living by them because it's what they know, but not fanatically dedicated to them. I'm given to understand many Amonkheti joined the Gatewatch against Bolas once they learned the truth about their religion, and Earthshaker could easily follow that path. If I were planning on Eternalizing them, it'd be different, but I wouldn't, so...

(Not saying I feel super attached to using them, I'm just talking about fluff now.)
    They are all contestants for the trials, except Earthshaker won. His reward is to get coated in lazothep and revived as Bolas' zombie.

Soul-scar isn't holding 'Bolas' symbol', he is holding the icon of the God-Pharaoh, around whom the whole of Amonkhet's society is built. Same as the lands with his horns in them, etc.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    not sure if I asked...

What is the best aggro deck color combo? I bet it is either mono red or something with red in it.
    It’s generally something like
    Red
    White
    Black
    Green
    Blue
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1