New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Equipment for Abazighal? (Baldur's Gate II campaign)

So, my Baldur's Gate campaign has reached the fight against Abazighal.

Unlike his fellow Bhaalspawns, he's a fairly straightforward opponent - an epic half-dragon warblade who can turn into a blue dragon.

Now, I'm looking for some stuff to equip him with.

The computer game only gave him a magic greatsword (+5 and a poison ability), but a guy with a power to command dragons has access to several hoards - he would likely look for the best equipment to make up for not being a caster.

I'm looking to fill the following slots:

2 rings,
    bracelets
    greaves (boots)
    back crest spike ( cloak)
    necklace
    belt.

What would you suggest?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Equipment for Abazighal? (Baldur's Gate II campaign)

Accidentally found an awesome picture

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

He's notable for being pretty tough (Toughness HLA + lots of HP). His breath weapon needs to be pretty good as well.

-A dragon spirit cincture (MIC) gives +2d6 damage for breath weapon.
    -+CON/+NA/+Save items are a given, plus perhaps something granting DR?
    -One of the Dragon books has a Dragon Scale Husk feat that replaces Heavy Armor proficiency with a self-grown full-plate equivalent husk. Scale it to epic.
    -Anklet of Translocation
    -XYZ of spell storing, storing Heal or Greater Restoration.
    -Belt of Battle for extra actions
    -Inconstant Location is a 6th level Psywar power that allows a swift action teleport each round for 1 round/level. A custom item of this is nice, but potentially OP.
    -Luckstone is a nice extra bonus to durability
    -Something associated with cold and/or controlling the cold salamanders and wyverns. Ring of Dominate Magical Beast? Something for calling outsiders? Not sure, have not messed with minionmancy much.

4. - Top - End - #4

I was beginning to think no one would respond.

I'm cutting the salamanders. Instead, there will be two dragons - an old red the mountain used to belong to, and Abazighal's blue dragon mother.

Belt of battle is great, but there have already been two in the campaign and the party has one. same for greater boots of the mountain king which might give him DR through stoneskin. I still might do it if there are no better ideas, but I don't want to repeat myself too much.

If I go for the husk thing, it frees the bracers slot that would have been bracers of armor. What do you suggest to fill it with?

combat teleportation is a trap - Airie casts greater anticipate teleport each morning, so all it would do is get him stuck in transit while the party handles his retinue.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG) with added effects (MIC p234): +5 Deflection bonus to AC, possibly one or more energy resistances
    Ring of Mental Fortitude (DMG2)
    Armbands of Might (MIC) with added effects (MIC p234): +8 armor bonus as Bracers of Armor
    Boots of Temporal Acceleration (MIC) with added effects (MIC p234): +6 Enhancement to Dex
    Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC, shoulders slot)
    Necklace of Adaptation (DMG) with added effects (MIC p234): +6 Enhancement to Con
    Belt of Battle (MIC) with added effects (MIC p234): +6 Enhancement to Str

Also give his weapon the Displacement ability (OA, +100k gp, 50% miss chance as the spell Displacement).
    Also give him a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon, it's embedded in a dragon's hide and grants immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks as heavy fortification armor).
    Also give him a Third Eye: Clarity (MIC, it can appear as a shinier scale on his forehead).
    Also make his clothes enchanted as +1 Soulfire armor (BoED, armor bonus won't stack with the bracers, but gives immunity to death effects, energy drain, negative energy).

6. - Top - End - #6

The power level seems appropriate.

And most of it fits, though not all.

1 the banner - beyond the fluff consequences of making the banner into cloak slot item, I don't think a guy who makes a dragon army would project an aura that suppresses fear effects.
    2 third eye of clarity is awesome - which is why both Illasera and Yaga Shura had one. I can't give the party a third one in a row.
    3 I'm not going to give him magical clothes/armor, for the simple reason that he would then look ridiculous when transformed.

Also, unless I give the cave a magic ward that prevents flying, I need to give Abazhigal something to fly with. The cave is huge, but not quite enough to make dragon wings truly useful.

Also, an unrelated question: As part of the pocket plane deal, I gave the player a sacrificial dagger that lets her steal a bit of essence from a dying target (either finishing him off with it, or stabbing the corpse within one turn from death.) that could then be given to Caspenar as a crafting component. So far she has harvested Illasera (and gained a shadowy cloak with concealment/dimension door for Imoen) and a bear warrior warshaper from Yaga Shura's army (which upgraded her cloak to let her wildshape as a swift action). Since she will surely try it on Abazhigal as well, what do you think C could make of it?
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2018-02-18 at 07:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the banner, going off the list of necessary magic item effects there's not much else to make him immune to stunning that he can use. The Third Eye Clarity can negate a stun, but that's only 1/day and I included it to negate a possible daze effect. If he's not going to be outright immune to stun/daze, you should at least give him the feat Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness, since Iron Heart Surge as a martial maneuver isn't usable when you can't move or can't act.

You could give him wings in his humanoid form, which will enable him to fly. You can even have him grasp a Talisman of Undying Fortitude in the claw of one of his wings, for immunity to stun and negative energy. Otherwise give him a Phoenix Cloak, and be sure to add a +5 resistance bonus to saving throws to it per MIC p234.

It looks like this player is able to wild shape, so wouldn't an item made from Abazighal allow her to turn into a dragon?

8. - Top - End - #8

Ah, wrong third eye.

Clarity I can give him.

The player doesn't actually use wildshape that much, partially because she's more of a summoner/save or die druid, but mostly because she has shapechange now. So it's usually either a glabrezu (for automatic truesight) or beholder (for keeping wizards in an antimagic cone, so Minsc can whack them)

Dragon wild shape for anything bigger than medium is an epic feat with a minimum level of 27. So... an item like this would be at the same time horribly powerful, and not really useful.

Unless she gives it to Jaheira, who didn't have enough wisdom to advance full casting for some time, so I made her a warshaper, and she has been my curse ever since. I ended up making and printing a table of how her combat buffs interact in various combinations.

Say... you look like you enjoy that. Could I bounce other questions/ideas off you in PM?

hmm... how about a collar that applies a half-dragon template to her animal companion? That would look cool. (also, probably something that wouldn't fly in any other campaign)
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2018-02-18 at 08:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Aaaaand after all that planning, he lasted all of one round.

Two "blood to water" spells followed by a chromatic doom, which burned him with acid, hit his constitution by another 6 points, turned him into stone, and dumped him into astral.