New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Plague of Nightmares IC

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    is this one of the reasons you fear guards. she will want to stay notified and take the dodge reaction
    You hear no response. You look around desperately to see if you can find the gaurds, and eventaully you find them blown away by the Kenku's thunderwave on the ground, either injured or dead. Either way they are laying 10 ft. away from the group prone and unable to get up on their own.

The ghostly dual wielder seems to shrug off the flames off the bonfire in a manner which should not be physically possible. He stands their bloodied after just watching the kenku get knocked down almost immediately as she arrived. Suddenly his eyes flash a kind of menacing grin and he only gives another humorless grin, looking as if he has already won. Quickly he darts away to the left, but proving so proves to be a massive mistake as Yvonne's blade arcs out at him and tears through his chest. That should have been enough to kill him, but instead he runs just the same, though hysterically. As he slumps against the stone valley well bleeding, he whispers something eldritch to himself that you can barely make out it. It sounds kind of like "sanctum dare sanguinem vitam meam".

The trails of moonlit blood of his that was spilled on the ground suddenly begin to writhe in the air and coalesce and shape itself in a strange manner. Like a macabre illusionary dance it begins to form strand upon strand and solidify in the air. Eventually a grotesque serpent like being which is freakishly similar to a blood vein. The hideous serpents of blood which are unnatural beyond all belief then rush towards the group.

The first blood snake, turned black by the wicked steel which tore it from its master, collects itself around Zuzu in a demonic whirl while suffocating him. It tries to bring its teeth down into him but Zuzu is frantically batting it away.

Zuzu is grappled and while he is grappled is also restrained. While it is restraining a creature, the snake takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature Grappled by the snake takes the other half.

The second snake, this one a plump bulbous red, engulfs its slimy self over Anastasia and does a similar manuever. Although it has her coiled, its teeth still fail to get past its target's frantic batting.

Anastasia is grappled and while she is grappled is also restrained. While it is restraining a creature, the snake takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature Grappled by the snake takes the other half.

Your turns now.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

"Prepare to die, foul one!" Yaotl flings more poison at the wounded man, hoping to finish him off.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24] (DC 12) (1d12)[2] poison damage

Evidently this guy is much healthier than he appears, since he just shook off the poison.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-14 at 03:59 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"*Gasp* GET OFF! GET OFF!" the teenage halfling shouts in a panic, frantically trying to get the snake that's crushing him to let go. The young wizard's magic reacts accordingly, flaring off in a panicked state much like its wielder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning Hands, targetting snake and ghost ranger.

DC13 DEX save to avoid (3d6)[8] damage. Half damage on failed save.

Snake's save: (d20+2)[4]. Fail: 8 fire damage. Black snake is at 5 HP.
    Ranger's save: (d20+4)[15]. Success: 4 fire damage. Ghost ranger is at -1 HP.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-14 at 04:26 AM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwww.
    Spoiler: description of action
    Show
    she is goning to try a dex roll out what modifiers can i add to the roll
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

5. - Top - End - #125

Attempting acrobatics out
    [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Last edited by Sariel Vailo; 2018-03-14 at 07:10 AM.
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

6. - Top - End - #126

Acrobatics acrobatics seriously acrbatics please lolth please.
    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[11]
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    Acrobatics acrobatics seriously acrbatics please lolth please.
    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    [roll0]
    The snake fails the competition and Anastasia is freed.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

8. - Top - End - #128

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwww.and i thought that handsy barron was slimy
    Spoiler: move
    Show
    i than moveto disengage while saying what i said
    Last edited by Sariel Vailo; 2018-03-14 at 12:44 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Yvonne smiled grimly as the ex-phantom trieed to escape and left himself open, punishing him with a brutal slash. Only the combat was not yet over; unholy magic summoned snakes from his blood and they assailed the party further.
    One of them wrapped around the child. She raised her sword to strike, but for a split second she hesitated. If she thrust, she would surely injure Zuzu as well; but to leave it be would also certainly result in the eldritch creature biting the panicking gnome.
    "Begone, monster! You don't belong in this world!"
    She jammed her shield between the snake and the gnome and twisted, using an armoured boot to try to force the creature off and away.

Shove the black blood snake to C9

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

The snake must contest: (1d20+5)[8] to avoid being shoved.
    Being shoved to there would automatically break the grapple, not allowing any attacks of opportunity.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    Yvonne smiled grimly as the ex-phantom trieed to escape and left himself open, punishing him with a brutal slash. Only the combat was not yet over; unholy magic summoned snakes from his blood and they assailed the party further.
    One of them wrapped around the child. She raised her sword to strike, but for a split second she hesitated. If she thrust, she would surely injure Zuzu as well; but to leave it be would also certainly result in the eldritch creature biting the panicking gnome.
    "Begone, monster! You don't belong in this world!"
    She jammed her shield between the snake and the gnome and twisted, using an armoured boot to try to force the creature off and away.

Shove the black blood snake to C9

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

The snake must contest: [roll0] to avoid being shoved.
    Being shoved to there would automatically break the grapple, not allowing any attacks of opportunity.
    You shove your shield between them and meet a massive resistance. You fear that you will be unable to push it, but by using all of your strength you are able to heave the blood snake backwards. It is flung off of Zuzu and lands on the ground beside him.
    -

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As soon as the blackk blood snake is knocked off, it retaliates against yvonne and its malformed half-sealed teeth snap out at her twice in quick succession. Despite the speed and strength of the vaporous serpent's quick strikes though, its teeth cannot pierce through the knight's armor.

The red blood snake rises up from the ground almost as if it evaporated up, and its entire body quivers like a disturbed pool of liquid as it moves once again. Yaotl is too mezmerised by its strange movement to realize that it is moving towards him. It lurches forward and wraps its colloid body around him and restrains and ties around him like a roop of water frozen in mid air. Its deformed teeth try to strike once again but they slide against the studs of yaotl's armor and deal nothing.

Yaotl is restrained. While it is restraining a creature, the snake takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature Grappled by the snake takes the other half. This does not apply to the restrained target.
    -

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Yaotl spits into the snake. "Unnatural beassst, foul thisss land no more!" He drops his old bonfire, then creates a new one beneath the snake.

Spoiler: dex save
    Show

(1d20+2)[11] (DC 12) (1d8)[6] damage

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"*Gasp* *Wheeze* Thank you knight lady!" Zuzu pipes up after the execrable serpent is wrenched away from him.

"You! I will freeze you solid! HIEMO!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Cast Frostbite. Snake must succeed on a DC13 CON save (d20+4)[6] or take (d6)[6] cold damage and have disadvantage on its next weapon attack before its next turn ends.

I know this isn't optimal - +4 CON means the snake has a 55% chance of succeeding. But if I use Fire Bolt, I either cast at a disadvantage (+5 to hit is negated with the effective -5 from disadvantage, meaning I must roll 12 or higher to hit 11 AC - also a 55% chance of failure) or I have to risk an attack of opportunity by getting out of melee range.

Woo hoo! Snake takes 6 damage and is now at -1 HP.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-15 at 07:09 PM.
    Now Playing

14. - Top - End - #134

Anastasia will target the snake for vicious mockery
    Spoiler: damage
    Show
    (1d4)[2]

Spoiler: snake save
    Show
    (1d20+1)[10]

Spoiler
    Show
    ohhhh my my my act as a snake but born to be a worm.writhe on the ground as the worm you are.

Spoiler: internal thoughts
    Show
    ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwww still slimy eewwwwwwww.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank me after!" the knightess replied as she stepped forward. Again, the same dilemna, and strange as the snake-priest was, she didn't particularly want to injure him.
    She sheathed her sword and grabbed the loathsome snake behind the head, yanking it and trying to pull it away/

Yvonne moves to D6, grapples the snake. Assuming success, steps to C6 while dragging the snake to C5.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[21] vs the snake's roll of athletics or acrobatics to avoid being grappled.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "Thank me after!" the knightess replied as she stepped forward. Again, the same dilemna, and strange as the snake-priest was, she didn't particularly want to injure him.
    She sheathed her sword and grabbed the loathsome snake behind the head, yanking it and trying to pull it away/

Yvonne moves to D6, grapples the snake. Assuming success, steps to C6 while dragging the snake to C5.

Show

[roll0] vs the snake's roll of athletics or acrobatics to avoid being grappled.
    The snake fails its check and is moved.
    -

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As the final blood snake is yanked away by the knight it viciously thrashes around. As yvonne wrestles it away like some sort of insane crocodile, the unnatural beast is writhing in erratic manners in a desperate attempt to escape. Once it realizes that it cannot escape it instead tries to counter by surging forward and wrapping itself around Yvonne. Its first attempt fails as she is able to push the best backwards, but its second try proves to be much more successful as the human loses her footing and is now imprisoned by the quasi-ooze's sanguine worm-like body.

Yvonne is grappled by the red blood snake. While grappled in this manner she is also restrained. While it is restraining a creature, the snake takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature Grappled by the snake takes the other half. This rule does not apply to the grappled target.

Your turn's now.
    -

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

DEFLAGRO MORA!

Zuzu prepares a fire bolt, but with some degree of difficulty forces the spell's energy to adhere to his hand for the moment. He dares not fire it at the snake, lest Yvonne gets cooked in her armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to G3.

Hold Action > Fire Bolt vs snake. If Yvonne successfully breaks free of the snake (with a contested Athletics vs Athletics check), release spell at snake. Otherwise, spell dissipates.

On a potential opportunity, (d10+5)[14] to-hit. On hit, (d10)[7] fire damage, plus (d10)[3] on a crit.

OOC: I think the situation is, Yvonne and the snake have disadvantage to hit each other, as well as disadvantage to attack rolls and dexterity saves. This means they can bash each other normally. Yvonne might consider trying to break free instead, because that frees the rest of us to unload on the snake without fear of damaging her.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-18 at 10:51 PM.
    Now Playing

19. - Top - End - #139

yvonne i shall insult the beast.
    Spoiler: internal thought
    Show
    this thing is gross.but yvonne needs help

Spoiler: insult
    Show
    Unbind yourself from that lady at once lest i be forced to take drastic action,you pitiable ingrate.

Spoiler: vicious mockery
    Show
    [roll0]

Spoiler: blood snake save
    Show
    [roll1]
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Yaotl stops concentrating on his bonfire and creates a new one under the snake.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4] DC 12 (1d8)[1]

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler: damage
    Show
    (1d4)[1]

Trying again for damage
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

"Off me, you wretch!"

Yvonne tried to wrench the vile creature off.

Show

(1d20+5)[25] to break the grip the snake has.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The ironically bloodied oozing serpent is flung to the side once again and now the mud has turned crimson with the strange beast's wounds. In a final dying fury it snaps at yvonne with its silvered teeth but they cannot penetrate her armor despite the strength of the blow. The living vein continues to chew ineffectually on the metal like a pathetic, nursing puppy.

Your turns again now.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-03-20 at 07:56 PM.
    -

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Anastasia: 9 HP
    yaotl: 4 HP
    Yvonne: 11 HP
    Zuzu: 8 HP
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-03-20 at 07:57 PM.
    -

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As the slithering vein is flung to the side the mud is now crimson with its blood. It rears its bloodied head up again and prepares to unleash a cobra's strike, but it is already too late. While it its teeth are flying through the air a stream of fire comes zipping towards it and incinerates its malformed quasi-maw and scorches it into blackened stub. Its body stills keeps its momentum and is still launched at yvonne, but instead of its disfigured tooth biting in it just slumps against her like a wet towel. It then slides off her armor onto the ground defeated.

You can hear a grunting noise now and you fear that the ghost ranger might still be alive, but to your relief it is actually coming from one of the gaurd's which had been knocked back by Hemra's thunderwave. He gets on his hands and knees from the ground he is standing before grasping the wall beside him to pull him up. "The Order... The Order of Umbra. They were behind this. Of course they were behind this!"
    -

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Order of Umbra? Where did Zuzu hear about that before?

INT (History) check: (d20+5)[6]

The young gnome ambles off to the incompetent kenku's body to check if she is truly dead (and whether she has a spellbook he can appropriate)

INT (Investigation) check: (d20+5)[19]
    Now Playing

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

"We need to ressst. Sssome of usss took a beating." Yaotl advocates that they recuperate from the battle, but first he checks the ranger's corpse.
    Spoiler: investigation roll (if necessary)
    Show
    (1d20-1)[2]

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148

yaotol i have medicine skills i can help a little bit. I assume i can help.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Order of Umbra? Where did Zuzu hear about that before?

INT (History) check: [roll0]
    Order suggests that it consists of more than one person, so you assume it is a group of people. Other than that you have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post

The young gnome ambles off to the incompetent kenku's body to check if she is truly dead (and whether she has a spellbook he can appropriate)

INT (Investigation) check: [roll1]
    You can't manage to find a spell-book on her. She probably was not keeping it on her person for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "We need to ressst. Sssome of usss took a beating." Yaotl advocates that they recuperate from the battle, but first he checks the ranger's corpse.
    Spoiler: investigation roll (if necessary)
    Show
    [roll0]
    He is only equipped with some now tattered leather armor and two scimitars.
    -

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuzu's disappointment shows plainly on his face. In an attempt to not end up empty-handed, he searches her pockets for any personal effects, taking particular interest in any spell focuses he can find.

Spoiler
    Show
    Loot and plunder. Investigation: (d20+5)[23]
    Now Playing