New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Computer Is Updating... Weirdly

So, my laptop has been updating for a while. As in, every time I leave it on for a while, it restarts, gets about halfway through installing updates, and fails. This takes around fifteen minutes for it to try to update, fail, reinstall the old windows, and get me logged on, and I am just frustrated as heck.

Any help?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Computer Is Updating... Weirdly

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So, my laptop has been updating for a while. As in, every time I leave it on for a while, it restarts, gets about halfway through installing updates, and fails. This takes around fifteen minutes for it to try to update, fail, reinstall the old windows, and get me logged on, and I am just frustrated as heck.

Any help?
    I remember this happening to me a few years back... Cause was likely some corrupt file at some crucial point.
    I tried a bunch of things the internet suggested, including just allowing it to try / repeat the process a few times but sadly nothing worked. I ended up reinstalling windows. If you have a recovery point or something you might be able to avoid this.. In case you can access safe mode maybe you can try something else but pessimistic me fears you might have bad luck here.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you go to Windows Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, it will show you a bunch of low-level logs about what Windows is doing.

There might be something under Windows Logs -> Setup or Windows Logs -> System.

Unfortunately, almost all computers, even ones operating well, will have multiple "error"-level events in the logs, so you'll need to check the exact time that the update failed and look around then.

But if you can find the exact error message, you'll have much better luck with Google.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Didn't specify which Windows version, am assuming 10.

If you go to settings and update it also has a log of what it recently tried to do there. If you got an error code you can copy that and google.

I've had 2 things in Win10 that sounds a lot like what you experience.

1st was a corruption somewhere during an install. I did a re-install of 10 through the boot-up menu, sort of a factory reset. Certain anti-virus programs can do this. My case was an AVG install that botched/interfered with Windwos Update.

2nd was recently on my Surface kept doing major install that failed. Cause: not enough disk space to run in the entire OS again (twice, old + update + new) due to Creators Fall update (essentially equivalent to a new windows version). While checking my issue I noticed loads of cheapo laptops had this problem since they were only equipped with 32gb flash drives for diskspace.

Check what it's trying to install, again from windows update page in settings.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-02-20 at 03:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

There might not be enough space on the drive.

Personally I reccommend that unless you've got classified documents on your computer or something you turn updates off by downloading Winaero Tweaker and setting it to disable updates and then setting all your web connections as metered connections.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-03-16 at 03:12 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Please note that Bohandas' advice to turn off updates should be taken at your own risk as your computer will soon have outdated protection against malware/viruses and the like.