New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Average damage for an Idolon

Okay, playgrounders. I need some info. I know in the monster creation section of the PF website has a chart for the average damage of monsters per CR.

Could this chart be used to discover the average damage of an Ideolon summoned by a 18th level summoner? Or does anyone have an idea on calculating that?

Thanks in advance!
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Average damage for an Idolon

I don't think "average damage" would mean much for a Summoner Eidolon, as at 18th level there are so many customizations available that any two builds will differ widely in the damage they can cause. E.g. you could have a skillmonkey build with just the base damage (biped, 2 slam attacks, 1d6+5 or so damage), or a full attacker build with 7 attacks of 2d6+1d6+20 (or more, I'm just pulling some numbers out of the air here).

Maybe you can tell us why you want to know the average damage, we can probably give better input then. Also, normal or unchained summoner?

3. - Top - End - #3

Goblin

Maybe you can tell us why you want to know the average damage, we can probably give better input then. Also, normal or unchained summoner?[/QUOTE]

Normal summoner.
    I’m interested from a DM perspective. If i’m throwing a summoner at my PC’s, and I have to build this idolon, I can, as you say, build him all across the board.

My main question, is what CR monster is the ideolon’s damage comparable to? (using the monster builder chart as a base guide).
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbens View Post
    I’m interested from a DM perspective. If i’m throwing a summoner at my PC’s, and I have to build this idolon, I can, as you say, build him all across the board.

My main question, is what CR monster is the ideolon’s damage comparable to? (using the monster builder chart as a base guide).
    It's not.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it is the answer. Eidolons are VERY customizable. The bare minimum at 18th would probably be... Quadruped base form, nothing spent to improve or add attacks, and thus making a single attack for 1d6+5. At the high end, a quadruped taking limbs, claws three times, pounce, bite again for the improved damage, and dropping everything else into size (using the base ability increases for Strength, getting a +6 Enhancement Str belt, and taking the time to read a +5 Str book) would be rocking a strength of 48 (+19 mod) to apply to seven attacks, all usable on a charge. THAT attack routine would look like 2d6+28/1d8+19/1d8+19/1d8+19/1d8+19/1d8+19/1d8+19 (and all of them would be primary, and Power Attack is a thing the Eidolon could use; add in, say, a +5 Amulet of Mighty Fists, and it can probably down most things on a charge).

Perhaps think of the personality of your summoner. What sort of Eidolon would the summoner go for? A sneaky beast to look around corners? A brute to rip apart enemies? A companion for crafting ("Basic Magic" grants a caster level, which can be used to qualify for crafting feats; additionally, the eidolon gets skill ranks to put into Spellcraft, and Skilled is a nice boost to that)? A mount to get from A to B quickly? Is the Summoner a Chaotic type that makes heavy use of Transmorgify, and shuffle the Eidolon's abilities around as needed?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2018-02-20 at 07:58 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.