New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Monster Hunters

"Well, yes, of course, of course," the half-elf says. "We don't have an inn, but we do have a small tavern - I expect the doors have been closed up for the night, not very lively around here. But we can provide quarters for you in the old temple," the man says, gesturing behind himself vaguely. "For Riders like you, there of course, won't be any charge..."

"Gengi, no, we need-"

The man puts up his hand to silence the young man who's come up behind him, interrupting his conversation. "There will be none of that, Adim. These are honored guests! I know you weren't around back when this town was lively, but back then, we knew who to show respect to! Our elders, one, and certainly brave souls such as these!" the man says, rebuking the younger half-elf. The younger wavers, but falls silent, a bit of a pout on his features.

"Very well, Gengi," he huffs. He looks past the man to Hrothrun. "Shall I show you to the temple?"

"No! No, Adim, I will see to that. You see about getting these strapping fine folk some ale from the alehouse!" the older man insists. Adim goes a bit red in the face, then, brow furrowed, but if Gengi sees this - not likely, with his old eyes, anyway - he doesn't say anything. Adim stalks off through the town, and Gengi turns back to you. "If you would follow me, I can show you where you may rest."
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Aluneth closes his eyes, and chuckles. "Ale and friends, everywhere we go. ...Heh. Yo, Talim, you guys have fun. I'll catch up later. It's a temple, I'm sure it will be hard to miss."

He walks away, leaving Sapphiron with the others.

Aluneth wanders towards the outskirts of the town, trying to find a peaceful place to rest on the mountain.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Aluneth closes his eyes, and chuckles. "Ale and friends, everywhere we go. ...Heh. Yo, Talim, you guys have fun. I'll catch up later. It's a temple, I'm sure it will be hard to miss."

He walks away, leaving Sapphiron with the others.

Aluneth wanders towards the outskirts of the town, trying to find a peaceful place to rest on the mountain.
    "Stay safe!"

Talim turns to Adim, "Why don't I help you get the ale? We're a thirsty group and I wouldn't want to force you to do it alone."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Adim looks at Talim suspiciously. "No, no, 'honored guest,' I wouldn't want my grandfather to go into conniptions should you so much as lift your little finger-"

"Adim, don't be rude! That's no way to speak to a Rider!" Gengi says, yet he agrees with Adim when he turns to Talim. "My boy can handle it, sir. Forgive his rudeness."

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    Adim looks at Talim suspiciously. "No, no, 'honored guest,' I wouldn't want my grandfather to go into conniptions should you so much as lift your little finger-"

"Adim, don't be rude! That's no way to speak to a Rider!" Gengi says, yet he agrees with Adim when he turns to Talim. "My boy can handle it, sir. Forgive his rudeness."
    "I insist. We would be rather poor guests, if we made you do everything for us. Besides I'd like to see your villiage, it reminds me of home!"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Adim exhales through his nose before looking to his grandfather. Gengi looks like he could almost burst into tears at the percieved generousness and compliment Talim has given. "Of course, of course, Adim would be happy to show you around!" he says, before looking to his grandson. "Bring him right up to the temple when you're done," he says, and Adim nods.

"Of course, Gengi," he says, before motioning for Talim to follow as he starts down the narrow, half-cobbled, half-dirt roads.

7. - Top - End - #97

Aluneth finds a nice spot to sit down. He looks up at the setting sun and starts to sing the song to the tune he was humming. A happy song for most, but for him, it is a song of pain and heartbreak.

"O I forbid you, maidens a',
    That wear gowd on your hair,
    To come or gae by Carterhaugh,
    For young Tam Lin is there.

There's nane that gaes by Carterhaugh
    But they leave him a wad,
    Either their rings, or green mantles,
    Or else their maidenhead.

Janet has kilted her green kirtle
    A little aboon her knee,
    And she has broded her yellow hair
    A little aboon her bree,
    And she's awa to Carterhaugh
    As fast as she can hie.

When she came to Carterhaugh
    Tam Lin was at the well,
    And there she fand his steed standing,
    But away was himsel.

She had na pu'd a double rose,
    A rose but only twa,
    Till upon then started young Tam Lin,
    Says, Lady, thou's pu nae mae.

Why pu's thou the rose, Janet,
    And why breaks thou the wand?
    Or why comes thou to Carterhaugh
    Withoutten my command?
    "

Aluneth grimaces and clenches his fist. "Tam...Lin..."

He recalls what Talim had told him earlier. 'If you're going to be part of this Flight, you have to consider the rest of us.'

The brenin stands up and picks up his axe. "...Idiot. Like I would ever care about anything other than myself. I don't have time to be generous, or charitable. And I certainly don't want to be part of any 'team'. ...That will just make it hurt more when I'm gone."

He glances at the tree behind him. "Tam Lin...Oberon...Mab...how many will you claim, Titania? How many until you are satisfied?"

He swings his axe angrily and slices some wood off the trunk. "Not enough. It's not enough. I have to get stronger. Strong enough to kill anything. I don't care what it is. A giant. A chimera. A hydra. I have to be able to fell any foe...or else I'll end up just like them. None of my kin is safe from the queen's wrath. Not as long as she's still breathing."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Keep an eye on the group ok, Gela?"
    "Sure thing boss!"

Talim slides out of the saddle, "Lead on my good man!"
    Once Talim and Adim are far enough away from the group to not be overheard, Talim offers his hand to Adim. "I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot, my name's Talim."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Adim regards Talim, still with some suspicion, and certainly not like he's going to fall all over himself out of respect or fear or some other such thing like his grandfather did. Still, he doesn't rebuff the extended hand, clasping Talim's for a moment and giving it a firm shake before he continues walking. "Adim. The old man who's showing your fellows where to go is my grandfather," he says. "We just happen to live on the edge of town. Most of the people here think the old man is insane, clinging to the old ways like he does. What good are the gods to us, anymore, in this civil war the whole blasted realm is tearing itself apart with? It's only a matter of time before one front or the other decides they want control of the pass and sends someone in here to secure it," he says, frowning at Talim. "So what are you lot here for, then? Big group like yours, powerful dragons, showing up in the middle of contested land? My grandfather might kiss the ground you walk on, but the rest of us here in Three Thousand have keener wits than that," he says.

Meanwhile, Gengi grasps at Hrothrun's shoulder - which is right about the same height as the man's cane, so he makes for a good, sturdy force to lean on - and nods up towards the mountain. "We'll be heading up for the temple now, if you all like," he says to the members of the group who haven't wandered off.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Knowledge roll for information about the Civil War.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge History(1d20+9)[21]
    Knowledge Local(1d20+9)[29]

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Civil War in Lightning
    Show
    The civil war in the Lightning Realm has persisted for about 50 years, now, since the death of the Lightning Realm's previous King, Sion. Sion was a human king who ruled for about 25 years after the death of his own father. Before taking the crown, he had a dalliance with a elven woman who was a servant in the royal household, and by her he begat a half-elf daughter named Anne. Though she was firstborn and would therefore, technically, be first in line for the throne after her father, she was disqualified on the merits that she was born out of wedlock and was female. When Sion took the throne, he was properly married to another human woman, and had a son by her, named Sior.. At this time, Anne and her mother were living in the castle as well, as wards of Sion. Anne was raised as a proper princess, but her father never meant for her to take the throne. However, Sion died only a year later, which meant the proper heir, Sior, was only an infant and could not properly take the throne. Sior's mother installed herself as regent with the power that being Queen Mother gave her, and raised her son to the age of thirteen. At age sixteen, he would have been properly able to take the throne, but his half-sister by this point had grown old and bold enough to press her own claim. Half of the country was in agreement with Anne's claim, while the other half supported Sior. The country has been in war over the succession issue ever since.

Sior was killed in battle about ten years ago - however, he had in that time gotten married and fathered another son, named Morgan. Morgan currently has claim on the throne by his grandfather's wishes and is keeping up the war against his aunt. Morgan also has a son named Ricker, who at present time is only fourteen years old and has shown prowess with magic rather than martial ability like those in the rest of his line. He promises a new sort of hope for the country if things ever calm down - his skill is in divine magic and many say he has the ability to see into the future.

Anne is still alive, at 72 years old, and does not have any children.

The northern half of the country supports Anne, while the southern half supports Morgan.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"We're just passing through on our way to Ice. There is a Peryton, on the loose and we intend to kill it! Speaking of passing through, what the going rate for food and housing? We have no intention of abusing your generosity."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know what the hell a Peryton is, and I suppose it's no bother to me if it isn't here," Adim says, crossing his arms as he walks along. "Gengi will make sure you can stay at the temple. We don't have any inns anymore, all the business dried up ages ago. Before I was born," he says. "Just the Drinkhouse and the Three Thousand steps. Tankard of ale will run two copper, unless you expect me to ask the proprietor to break out the good stuff. We typically just use it for holidays, but if you paid enough to cover the cost, I'm sure Angis won't mind. Heaven forbid I don't offer the best," he says.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cor looks to Gengi, "What kind of temple? To which gods are prayers offered here? "
    “You know, sometimes I swear the whole universe runs on irony.”
    ― Simon R. Green, The Man With the Golden Torc

“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
    ― Rex Stout, The Doorbell Rang

“The subtlest lie of all is the full truth.”
    ― Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim rubs his chin, "That seems a reasonable enough rate. Just for giggles do you know how much the good stuff runs for?"

After Adim responds Talim says, "So what are the Three Thousand steps? Do you mean the pass?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's a temple to the Tempest, of course!" Gengi says when Cor asks. He looks a little bit surprised that the man doesn't know this, but he doesn't say anything about it out loud. "I remember a time when many a pilgrim would come up the steps and leave offerings... of course, those days are long gone now. Why we have such trouble with this war right now, that's what I think. It's a bad omen, when people stop respecting those who look down on us and decide our fates. What more powerful force in the world is there than the elements themselves?" he asks as he picks his way over the streets. He goes at quite a slow pace, so you have plenty of time to take in the sights around you. There are children peeking out of open windows in the houses, pointing and murmuring excitedly at the dragons cramming themselves down the streets. Some of the roads Gengi chooses are no more than five feet across, and the dragonkin have a bit of a difficult time of it unless they pull their wings straight against their backs.

"I think it's two gold for a cask about yea big," Adim says, holding up his hands to indicate roughly a tank a diameter in width and about a foot tall, probably three gallons' worth of drink. When Talim asks about the steps, Adim shakes his head and gestures up the mountain. "No, no, the pass is just the Southern Pass. Not a very creative name, if you ask me, and we have other names for it, but that's the one that makes it on the maps. No, the Three Thousand steps is what you see there, going up to the temple," he says, pointing at the lit switchbacks up the side of the mountain. "They say that crag there was caused by a burst of lighting in a horrible storm, some thousand years ago or some sh*t like that," he says. "Been a temple as long as you can imagine. Old carvings and such in there to revere Lighting and the Storm. Apparently it was really big, before the war, for people to travel down here and leave offerings at the Temple of the Tempest. And then, of course, there was a constant stream of pilgrims from all around the Lightning Realm - and beyond - that would come to just walk the Three Thousand. Steps, that is. Some meditation thing, I wouldn't know, it's history," he says. By the time he's finished explaining this, you've reached the bent wooden porch of a drinking hall. The lights are out but Adim doesn't hesitate in going up and knocking on the door. "You just tell Angis what you'll be wanting. I'll help you carry it up that blasted mountain."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun takes in the sights of the town, nodding in agreement as Gengi laments the state of affairs in the town. "So the travelers only dried up once the war started? A pity, but understandable. Armies and conflict tend to do little to keep the roads safe for the average person." He travels silently for a moment, allowing the old half-elf to use him for support if he needs to. "How has the town fared for supplies, since the war has kept travelers from coming here? If there's anything you need perhaps we could send word to the nearby cities, make sure they send some through to you."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

18. - Top - End - #108

Sapphiron laughs as the group walks on. "Our riders sure are a handful, eh Gela?" she asks good-naturedly. The dragonkin stops walking for a moment and fiddles around on her back, before finally unhooking her saddle and pulling it off. She sighs with relief. "Let's hurry to the temple. It's so embarrassing walking around a strange place with no clothes on. I need to find someplace to get dressed."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim thinks a moment, "I guess I may as splurge while we're here. While we wait, do you mind if I ask what you do?".

When the Door is answered Talim will ask to buy a 2 Kegs of the Good beer, and whatever food they have. When asked for payment Talim will over pay for the trouble of dealing with the after hour request.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    OoC: I'm thinking around 8gp or so.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, good sir, you really are too kind to even think of such a thing. Bless you. We get by fine, just fine," Gengi tells Hrothrun. He shuffles along all they way through the town until, finally, he leads you to the foot of the stairs heading up the mountain. The elderly man takes a deep breath before slowly starting the climb up the Three Thousand stairs.

Alim seems to loosen up a little bit when Talim changes the topic, and he throws his shoulders back with a bit of youthful bravado when the Rider asks what he does for a living. "Breaking," he says. "You see that ridgeline, over there?" he asks, stopping to point over to the east. "That over there is the Earth Realm. That's where this town gets its livelihood, anymore. You ever seen a desert horse run?" he asks. "It's my job to go out there, catch them, and make them docile enough to sell," he says. He gestures westwards, then. "Some buddies of mine do the same with the mountain stallions. But most of those wild herds are gone now. Been taken in for use by soldiers. I'm sure you can imagine how well a desert horse would do in the mountains. They're not as hardy and sure footed. But, mercy, when you're on the back of one of those dune runners and it lights off... I expect that's the closest I'll ever get to flying."

He tells Talim this as they're walking towards the temple from the alehouse. Angis readily brings out two casks of the ale and a rather large bundle of food - mostly bread and dried fruits, nothing extravagant but certainly enough to get by on. When Alim and Talim make it to the stairs, they can see the rest of the party moving ahead of them, only a little ways up due to the slow pace set by Gengi.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    8 gp is more than enough to cover it.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-02-22 at 05:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"You've been kind enough to us, it's only right we return the favor." At first Hrothrun takes the stairs at a brisk pace, completely sure-footed, but he slows down when he realizes Gengi is not keeping up. Scolding himself internally, he hangs back to help the elder up the mountain. "How is the war going?" he asks quietly after a moment. He is somewhat familiar due to living in the adjacent Earth realm for a while, but hasn't particularly kept up with things. "Has Lugh weighed in on matters at all?"
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim has stuffs all of his new supplies into his Haversack. "Well since you wanted to carry the supplies, here you go!" and tosses the backpack to Alim.

In response to the conversation on livelihood, "Seems like an interesting livelihood. Do breed the horses too? Oh and if you'd like I'm sure Gela would be willing to let you take a quick flight around the villiage. She like scaring the crap out of people who havn't flown before."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Sapphiron laughs as the group walks on. "Our riders sure are a handful, eh Gela?" she asks good-naturedly. The dragonkin stops walking for a moment and fiddles around on her back, before finally unhooking her saddle and pulling it off. She sighs with relief. "Let's hurry to the temple. It's so embarrassing walking around a strange place with no clothes on. I need to find someplace to get dressed."
    "Ya, I wish they would get over their childish leadership spats."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, it's quite all right, I'm quite all right!" Gengi says, even though he does lean on Hrothrun with the dwarf comes back down the hill. When conversation turns to the war, the man's expressions sours a bit. "No, the Great Dragon has kept mum on the entire affair," he says. "That is all I will say of it. Our town has remained out of it so far, by divine mercy, and I don't want to call misfortune down on us," he says.

Alim catches the backpack with a graceless 'oof' but manages it well enough, slinging the haversack over his shoulder as he starts up the stairs. "We don't do much breeding here, no. That's for those posh people that hole themselves up in large houses. He just provide their stock from the wild herds," he explains. At the mention of riding Gela, he quirks one brow. "Wouldn't that be some sort of heresy? My grandfather would certainly think so," he says. He considers it a moment longer, before shrugging the shoulder that the haversack isn't on. "But if it's all right with your dragon... Yeah, I'll bite," he said.

25. - Top - End - #115

Sapphiron smiles and shrugs her shoulders, holding her left hand out casually to portray her aloof attitude. "They can be a bit dense sometimes, but their hearts are in the right place. So, how are you feeling after the flight across the desert? I hate how dry my scales get in the heat..."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Gela sports a big grin, "Oh, I'm excited for the updrafts! I kinda want to see how high I can go them. Are you worried about Aluneth in the north?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun nods. "I understand. Fortunately my own homeland has been a bit more stable. I became a monster hunter so that people could go about their business in peace, although ending a civil war is beyond even a dragon rider's power."

Åska laughs a bit at Sapphiron's comment. "I love it. Nothing like warm desert air in your lungs. You can open your wings and glide for miles."

-----

28. - Top - End - #118

Sapphiron looks down at the ground. "Worried? Oh...n-no. He doesn't like stuff like that."

She sounds quieter than usual for a moment.

Sapphiron bounces back quickly and smiles. "Still, we're getting quite a reputation, huh? Not every dragonkin can brag about taking down a griffon! You guys did great on that mission, by the way."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Plague ain't orderly enough for war. Spending fifty years on one fight just isn't in our blood, we finish 'em up quick and get on with our lives. Or deaths, on occasion," Penelope adds. She thinks idly on Hrothun's remark that Riders couldn't end a civil war if they tried. "You know, I'll bet if we swooped in, scooped up the two heirs and dropped 'em into the Plaguelands outback, they'd sort out their problems lickety-split."

"Or they'd end up dead in a week,"
    she adds after a moment's pause. "Either way, war'd be over pretty quick. Just sayin', we could do it."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Sapphiron looks down at the ground. "Worried? Oh...n-no. He doesn't like stuff like that."

She sounds quieter than usual for a moment.

Sapphiron bounces back quickly and smiles. "Still, we're getting quite a reputation, huh? Not every dragonkin can brag about taking down a griffon! You guys did great on that mission, by the way."
    "Look who's talking, you basically killed the last one on your own!"

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Kenobi View Post
    "Plague ain't orderly enough for war. Spending fifty years on one fight just isn't in our blood, we finish 'em up quick and get on with our lives. Or deaths, on occasion," Penelope adds. She thinks idly on Hrothun's remark that Riders couldn't end a civil war if they tried. "You know, I'll bet if we swooped in, scooped up the two heirs and dropped 'em into the Plaguelands outback, they'd sort out their problems lickety-split."

"Or they'd end up dead in a week,"
    she adds after a moment's pause. "Either way, war'd be over pretty quick. Just sayin', we could do it."
    Talim rejoins the group alongside Adim"Who are we trying to kill now?"