Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Monster Hunters

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (Aluneth): (1d20+14)[34]
    Perception (Sapphiron): (1d20+10)[19]

Aluneth and Sapphiron walk on the ground.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2018-03-08 at 10:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim is doing last minute flight checks when he glances around one last time.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Talim's Roll(1d20+18)[31]
    Gela's Roll (1d20+12)[30]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel keeps her eyes open. She is on the ground, but eager to take to the sky and head out to their destination.

Spoiler: OPC
    Show
    (1d20+11)[29] Idranel
    (1d20+10)[28] Berilian
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2018-03-08 at 03:11 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun and Åska are walking with the others.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Hrothrun: (1d20+14)[29]
    Åska: (1d20+10)[20]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Talim takes one last look about the place before you all head off. Camp has been completely packed, nothing is left behind. Wingbeats signal the departure of his fellow Hunters, and Talim hurries off after them.

The team of Hrothrun, Idranel, Talim, Alexander, and their dragonkin move off, leaving Three Thousand behind with the boy they met there, Adim. He keeps glancing over his shoulder in the direction of his home, but does so less and less as they get farther away. He stays quiet, seemingly lost in his own thoughts and not much in the mood for talking. Most of the riders have stayed on the ground, but Alexander and Jenna elect to take point in the sky, keeping an eye out for danger or any other obstacle ahead. Alexander becomes distracted from the journey ahead by constantly glancing at the group down below, making sure they're all still there and not under attack, but Jenna picks up on something. Those on the ground can all smell something bitter and pungent in the air, but it is Jenna that sees the smoke - ahead, right at the foot of a mountain along the road, an entire strand of trees is ablaze.

Spoiler: Distance to Fire
    Show
    You all are about one mile from where the fire is currently burning. If you all hopped on your dragons and went full speed to get to it, it would take you just over a minute and a half to get there. Adim's horse wouldn't be able to go in a straight line there, but the road is pretty well maintained through here, so with his horse going full speed it would take him about three minutes to get there.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

6. - Top - End - #246

Alexander's eyes widen. "No...this can't be!"

He looks down at Talim and the others. "Everyone, there is a fire burning at the base of the mountain. I can ride ahead and look to see if I can rescue any civilians. If there is an enemy present I will hold back and wait until everyone has joined me to engage. What do you all think?"
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2018-03-11 at 03:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun sniffs the air, picking up the scent of burning just before Alexander shouts the warning. "Go on, we'll be right behind you," he calls back, already climbing onto Åska's back. "Adim, is there a village or settlement down there? How likely is it that there could be people trapped by the fire?" Åska unfurls his wings, beating at the air but waiting for the boy's answer before taking off. "If we do need to go into a burning forest, I'll drop you off and head in myself."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Åska has fire immunity, so if there are people trapped in the forest he can try and get them out.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Adim, torn from his thoughts by the sudden activity, wracks his brain to answer Hrothrun's question. "Forest fire? There aren't many forests in this part of the region, except by the river," he says, fumbling in his saddlebags for a map. His haste makes his fingers clumsy, so it takes him nearly thirty seconds to get out the map. "There's a mill by the river. We should be coming up on it," he reports. "Not a full settlement, but a couple houses - it's smaller than Three Thousand," he reports.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

9. - Top - End - #249

With Hrothrun's advice, Alexander speeds down the mountain towards the source of the fire.

When he arrives, he gives a good hard look around, calling for any survivors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20-1)[9]
    (1d20+10)[18]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel leaps onto Berilian, already in the air by the time that Adim has produced his map, ready to fly with Alexander. She also tries to keep her eyes and ears sharp for any survivors.

Show
    I'm in another game, so the post is unfortunately brief, but I don't want to delay the whole thing by a day.

(1d20+14)[32] Ride check, DC 20 to fast mount, Berilian takes off.
    (1d20+11)[25] Perception

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Gela immediately takes flight following the group, while Talim hangs on tight.

"I might need to follow Aska into the fire, be ready to unhook the stadle and to jump"
    "I'm not looking forward to trying to pull that off"
    Last edited by Drewski; 2018-03-11 at 04:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun nods to Adim. "Stay clear of the fire. If we bring survivors out, we may need your help to keep them calm and check them for injuries." With that, he nudges Åska and takes off after his companions, also searching for signs of survivors once he's there.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+14)[17]
    (1d20+10)[22]

-----

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Once close to the blaze, it's not hard to spot several survivors of the blaze - they're hard at work, ferrying buckets of water from the river up to the wooden homes that are caught in the blaze, but the fire is out of control and gaining ground through the woods, burning its way up the mountain. These people are skirting around the center of the road, and it's quite obvious why when you get closer - there is a large beast in the middle of the road, hissing and swiping at the villagers who are trying to drive it off with woodcutter's axes. Several dead and dying people are bleeding out along the edge of the road, and things don't look good for the survival of this place.

Spoiler: Picture of the Beast (oh boy you'll never know what it is)
    Show

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Rolled on OOC.

Alexander, Hrothrun, and Idranel, as well as their respective dragons, can act now.
    The Chimera will go.
    Then Talim can go.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-11 at 04:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Alexander grimaces. He needs to wait for the rest of the group to arrive, but that's quite a long time to let this beast keep up its blaze.

Still, he had arranged this plan and it would not behoove him to back down from it now. But...

He pauses, long enough for Idranel to catch up to him, before raising his lance. Jenna gazes at the creature. "It's quite dangerous. Are we ready?"

"No. But we don't have a choice either," Alexander asks.

"...You always say that."

"Are you nervous?"

"I haven't been able to feel fear since I met you, Alexander. But I can still worry about you."

"Maybe there's a divine aura to stop that, too?" he jokes.

"I'm with you."

"Then we charge!"

Jenna raises his banner and the two of them dive towards the monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowlege (Arcana): (1d20+12)[31]

Swift action: Challenge the chimera

Jenna charges.

Alexander's attack: (1d20+21)[30]
    Damage: (3d8+87)[98]

Jenna's attack: (1d20+18)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    -lays down for a minute after reading Alexander's attack roll-

(1d3)[2]
    1=Dragon
    2=Lion
    3=Goat
    As depicted from left to right in the picture.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-11 at 05:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Rolling Knowledge(Arcana) for Åska, since Hrothrun doesn't have it trained: (1d20+5)[16]

Hrothrun spots the beast below and draws his hammer. "If that thing has been breathing fire, it's likely your flames will not work on it." Åska grunts agreement. "Hang on, then," he says, rolling over once Hrothrun has a good grip and nosing down, diving toward the creature. The two come screaming down on top of the chimera, Åska with claws outstretched and Hrothrun with hammer raised.

Show
    Åska is charging, making attacks with his claws:
    (1d20+14)[29]
    (1d20+14)[30]
    Damage:
    (1d6+6)[11]
    (1d6+6)[12]

Hrothrun is going to Sunder the creature's natural armor. He does count as having Improved Sunder, so doesn't provoke an AoO.
    (1d20+19)[34]
    If that beats the creature's CMD, he takes damage and -4 natural armor
    Damage:
    (1d10+9)[10] plus (1d6)[6] electricity damage

Seems a bit low after Neo's attack, but hey, debuffs!
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-03-11 at 05:01 PM.

-----

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexander swoops down from the sky, lance aimed securely and steadily at the Chimera. He brings down a devastating blow on the head of the lion, which doesn't even have a chance to roar as it is speared completely through, and the creature's limbs slump motionless to the ground.

The other two heads, however, aren't as keen to give up the fight. Though unable to use its legs to move, the dragon and its wings are still active, and the goat lets out an angry, shrill scream as it directs its vacant gaze to the paladin. Just as it does, however, Hrothrun brings his weapon cleaving into the neck of the dragon, biting through the thick scales and splintering quite a few of them off. It hisses, smoke curling from its mouth as its wings extend.

Spoiler: Arcana check
    Show
    Arcana DC 15: This beast is called a chimera. Chimeras are monstrous creatures born of primordial evil. Hateful and hungry, they hunt on the ground or in the air. A chimera's dragon head may be of any evil dragon type, with the corresponding breath weapon, and its wings usually match the scales on its head. Chimeras speak with three overlapping voices, but rarely do so, typically only when playing toady to a more powerful creature. A chimera is 5 feet tall at the shoulder, nearly 10 feet long, and weighs 700 pounds.

Arcana DC 20: Chimeras prefer meat but can subsist on vegetable matter if necessary (although being forced to do so generally leaves the beasts more ill-tempered than usual). Their flight means they can pick and choose their prey, and they usually hunt a large area in search of easy food. They are too stupid and belligerent to acquire followers, though sometimes a tribe of kobolds might give them offerings. Conversely, they are just intelligent and stubborn enough that they make poor pets, and only a significantly more powerful creature can keep them submissive. They may form equal partnerships with a respectful humanoid or similar creature, and even consent to be used as a mount. A pride of chimeras is very leonine in its hierarchy, with a dominant male leading the group and most of the hunting done by the females. A solitary chimera may be a young male or a female with cubs nearby.

Arcana DC 30: To kill a chimera, much like killing a hydra, it takes more than lopping off a single head. Each head of the chimera has a different function, but they can operate independently. The Lion's head controls most motor functions of the chimera, as well as possessing the strongest bite attack. The Dragon's head controls the wings and tail, and possesses both a breath and bite attack. The Goat's head controls internal functions, such as the heart and lungs, and has powerful spell-like abilities, the most notable of which being the ability to cast Blindness/Deafness several times a day, but stronger chimeras have been known to have some other spell-like abilities in the enchantment school.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Berilian lands in the opening. "We are Flight 78. Hunters. What's the situation?" Idranel says, using her outdoors voice, commonly referred to by others as conversational tone. She leaps off the saddle, heading for one of the injured people. It doesn't look like her flight has pressing need of her right now, but the people on the ground might. "Listen up!" Berilian shouts, then giving some instructions provided by Idranel over their shared link. "Good job with the first head. The dragon head controls the wings. Take it out to prevent it from fleeing! The last head wields magic!

Show
    Swift Action to Scout the creature. (1d20+19)[32] Arcana (or any knowledge) Move action to use Academic knowledge.
    (1d20+14)[29] Ride, fast dismount

What advice or orders Berilian gives is dependant on our situation. Idranel has no means of putting out the fire. It might be possible for our mounts to coordinate a strong enough gust to put out a small fire, but from the sound of it, these people need an airlift, not a fire extinguisher.

How bad is the situation exactly?
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2018-03-11 at 05:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim loads one of his flashbangs into his gun.

He mentally pings Gela, "You know the plan."

Gela flys past the beast, and bashes it with her shield as she goes by. At the same time, Talim unloads his shot into the face of the goat.

Show
    Swift Action
    Scout roll, it has to beat 10+Cr of the monster. (1d20+18)[36]
    If I beat the Check, I treat it's AC as -3 for 4 rounds.

Standard Action
    To Hit Touch AC(Deadly Aim, Sniper Shot) (1d20+6)[17]
    Talim Damage (Vital Stike, Deadly Aim) (6d8+5)[33]
    Flashbang DC 21
    Talim Flashbang Damage (1d8)[2]
    Flashbang Duration (1d4+1)[2]

Gela to hit (1d20+11)[26]
    Gela to damage (2d6+6)[13]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

The chimera, reeling in pain from Alexander and Hrothrun's combined front, spreads its wings and lifts off the ground, out of the immediate reach of those attacking it. It does not go far, however, and as the dragon's head focuses on movement, the goat's head butts forward, aiming to make contact with Alexander.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Five foot "flap" backwards, so no AoO.
    As a large creature, it has reach, so the goat head is close enough to make a touch attack on Alexander.

(1d20+12)[21]
    So long as that roll isn't a 1, Alexander takes a minus (1d6)[6] penalty to his Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. No save since it's a touch attack, though if it says somewhere that you're immune to mind-affecting effects, this doesn't work.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    DC 17: That spell was Touch of Idiocy.

"With a touch, you reduce the target's mental faculties. Your successful melee touch attack applies a 1d6 penalty to the target's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. This penalty can't reduce any of these scores below 1.

This spell's effect may make it impossible for the target to cast some or all of its spells, if the requisite ability score drops below the minimum required to cast spells of that level."

The duration is 10 min./caster level, which totals exactly an hour and a half.

Immediately after this, Talim's gun lets out a startling report, and guided by his keen eye, the bullet sails straight into the goat, snapping off one of its horns and causing blood to gush forth from the head wound. Gela is able to follow up with her own attack, but while the goat looks heavily injured, it seems unfazed by the flashbang. However, combined with the damage from Hrothrun and Alexander, it only takes a moment before the goat's head lolls back, going limp and loose. The dragon staggers and tries to inhale, but it seems to have lost the capacity to do so.

Spoiler: Top of the Order!
    Show
    Everyone (except Talim, who goes after the Chimera) may attack again! The Dragon's head is the only one left, and it is staggered.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-11 at 06:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Hrothrun, attacking with his hammer: (1d20+16)[34]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[8] plus (1d6)[5] electricity

Åska, attacking with a bite: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[13]

Åska lands and recovers from the dive, spinning around and baring his teeth in a snarl at the creature, snapping at it as it lowered its guard to cast. The dragonkin rears up on his hind legs, striking with teeth and claw, while Hrothrun lines up another punishing blow with his hammer.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Full attack from Åska, Hrothrun is using a Brutal Strike.

Hrothrun: (1d20+16)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[16] plus (1d6)[6] electricity
    If the attack hits and does damage it gains the battered condition until the start of my next turn, and I am activating the Bone-Breaker talent to give it -1 attack and damage until then.

Åska:(1d20+11)[21]
    (1d20+12)[18]
    (1d20+12)[16]
    Damage, in the same order: (1d8+6)[9]
    (1d6+6)[8]
    (1d6+6)[8]

-----

22. - Top - End - #262

The spell hits and Alexander staggers, looking much worse for the wear as he struggles to remember what he is doing.

He growls and stabs the dragon creature in the face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the dragon head: (1d20+16)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+29)[32]

Jenna (Attacking dragon's head): (1d20+13)[15]
    (1d8+10)[17]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Between Alexander and Hrothrun, the Dragon's head of the Chimera is beaten down - the jaw broken by Hrothrun's hammer and neck skewered by Alexander's lance. The beast lets out a miserable gurgle before slumping to the ground, dead.

Though the Chimera falls, the fire is still raging, and people are scrambling as best as they can to put it out to to try and stabilize the dying at the feet of the now-dead Chimera.

Spoiler: Renown
    Show
    Will be updated in a moment! +4,000

24. - Top - End - #264

Alexander lands on the ground and calls upon his holy power to bring help to all of the people in the area at once.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channel Positive Energy: (4d6)[12] healing to all living creatures within 30'.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Seeing that Alexander has at least stabilized the injured people around the Chimera's corpse, Hrothrun dismounts and starts heading over to help contain the blaze. "Åska," he begins, in draconic. "Already on it," the dragonkin replies, taking a moment to cut through the saddle straps with a claw before leaping into the flames looking for anyone who might be trapped there. Hrothrun goes to the people passing empty buckets back toward the river and stops them. He holds out his hands, and the buckets begin to fill with water.

Show
    Create Water cantrip can generate 16 gallons of water every round.
    Perception for Åska: (1d20+10)[23]

-----

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While Alexander and Hrothrun face the chimera, Idranel gauges those that are worst injured, reaching the worst case as she unfastens a pouch on her waist, picking her way through the contents with practiced ease. An alchemical wound adhesive was her choice right now. Self made. It was not as good as solid stichwork, but it was substantially faster to work with. She pinches deep lacerations in the man's chest, applying her remedy carefully and waiting for it to set. As she is about to repeat the process, Alexander unleashes his healing energy, stabilizing everyone else that could still be saved. Idranel gives him a thankful smile and nod, focusing on the next issue. The fire. "Maybe... We could build a waterwheel to carry water from the river... she mutters, shaking her head at the stupid idea. It had to be smothered. She moves to carry buckets for now, mind racing.

Show
    Is there something to do? Is it feasible to try and smother it with sand? The water seems inadequate. Possibly blowing out a portion?

About the healing: Idranel's bonus to Heal is higher than the DC. Should be minimum of 30 HP healed.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2018-03-12 at 02:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

With the aid of the Hunters, especially with Hrothrun's help in providing water so people aren't constantly ferrying it back and forth from the river, a divide between the forest and the houses is slowly created. As the fire continues to burn up the side of the mountain, the people focus on saving the houses. Unfortunately, all Aska finds inside the houses are the curled up forms of a few children, already did, with a woman leaning over them. She has died, as well, the smoke too overwhelming to survive - but when it was a choice between hiding in a burning building or facing a Chimera, it seemed an almost impossible place to be in.

When Alexander's wave of healing energy washes over the area, several people are able to get up and join the efforts in battling the flames. However, it is too late for some, and though the wounds on their bodies seal, they do not rise.

Slowly, the fires on the houses are extinguished. Adim arrives and does his best to help with throwing water on the smoldering remains of the houses, ensuring a stray ember won't cause it to spark up again. Once the tiny town is saved, people stop for a while, looking up at the mountain as smoke curls heavily into the clouds, making the sky grey with ash.

In total, there are twelve dead. Six were children that succumbed to the smoke. The woman that was with them, as well as the few brave that fell fighting the Chimera are the other six.

28. - Top - End - #268

The paladin takes off his helmet and holds it to his chest, bowing his head in a solemn prayer for the departed.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel eyes the scene. There were dead, but not as many as there would have been without intervention. She hangs her head. It wasn't good enough. Even if she realizes that they were lucky to have done as much as they did, that doesn't help her sour mood.

30. - Top - End - #270

Alexander walks over to Idranel and places a hand on her shoulder. "I am sorry, Idranel. Truly, I used all my power to put an end to that creature as swiftly as I could. I assure you, if there was anything else I could have done, I would have done it!"

He feels responsible for this as well. For all those people...if he had just woken up a little earlier, if he had started flying earlier, if Jenna hadn't had to point the smoke out to him...if, if, if. There were so many scenarios where not a single life would have been lost. But kids?! What good was his lance, if he could not save a child?