New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Build Advice-What Should I Do?

Greetings, everyone. As the title has stated, I need help building this character above second level. I am an Arcane Gnome with an edited creature template that raises my Intelligence by 2 with no level adjustment. I am currently a second level Beguiler. Here are my stats:
    Str: 2
    Dex: 16
    Con: 14
    Int: 22
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 14
    I took the Arcane Conundrum and City Slicker flaws (I know I don't qualify for City Slicker, the the DM let me have it anyway since it fit the character). My feats are: Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), and Shadow Weave Magic. If my math is correct, this put the spell save DC for all my 0-level illusions at 21. Since we are all from the same college of magic, and we all have specialize in one or two types of magic (mine are Enchantment and, of course, Illusion). How should I build this character from here-on?
    Wait, I can put anything here and it'll show up as my signature?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Build Advice-What Should I Do?

Obvious answers would be either keep going beguiler till the end of time, or go shadowcraft mage if you want to be OP as frick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Hakkero View Post
    Str: 2
    I'm not sure what the Arcane Gnome & Template penalties to strength are,nor what method of assigning ability scores were used, but you had better hope your DM doesn't use carrying capacity rules in the game or you won't be able to carry more than the clothes on your back without penalty.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

General Beguiler advice:
    - Mindbender 1 at level 6 to delay Advanced Learning by one spell level
    - as mentioned above, Shadowcraft Mage 5 is nice for abusing reality

Since you're going into Shadow Weave, you might also want the one level of Shadow Adept to get 3 bonus shadow weave feats.

All other levels ought to be Beguiler, because Beguiler is great.

If you REALLY want to abuse reality, then you probably want Earth Sense + Heighten Spell + Earth Spell + Arcane Disciple (Luck domain) -- all in addition to being a Shadowcraft Mage 5.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can you even move with STR 2?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    Can you even move with STR 2?
    A Strength score of 2 (which is average for a rat) gives a -4 penalty to melee attack and damage rolls, climb, jump, swim and strength checks, and a carrying capacity for a small creature of 4.5 lb for a light load, 9.75 lb for a medium load, and 15 lb for a heavy load. At anything more than a light load a 20 ft movement rate is reduced to 15 ft and the maximum DEX bonus becomes +3 at medium load and +1 at heavy load.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Thanks for all the advice thus far. I am happy to announce that our DM is willing to help us raise our strength score (hilariously enough I am not the only one with a strength of 2). Shadowcraft Mage is very appealing, so when I qualify for that, I will definitely be going into that. While Earth Spell does seem appealing, why Arcane Disciple (Luck domain)?
    Wait, I can put anything here and it'll show up as my signature?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Disciple (Luck) on a Shadowcraft Mage is pretty damn cheesy, but if you're in a high-op game, it basically makes Miracle sorta-kinda be a spell on your list. Shadowcraft Mage can be used to turn (Heightened) Silent Image into [Shadow] versions of any Evocation spell you know, and Miracle is Evocation for some reason. So you can end up with Shadow Miracles (and they're either going to be close to 100% real or even above 100% real, depending) and basically get an effect that's on par with Wish for way, way less cost.

This is even cheesier if you abuse Residual Magic, because you can basically get two Miracles for the cost of a high-level slot and a low-level slot.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~