New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Sources of Free Modules

So, what sources of legitimately free modules do you use? I am emphatically NOT talking about "Well you can torrent Red Hand of Doom from this place". Rather, I mean "This place puts up free modules and adventure sites to use (sometimes amidst pay material, as well).

For me, one of the big sources if Dragonsfoot. They're primarily 1st edition AD&D material, but that means it's a pretty seamless conversion for oD&D and 2e, as well as retroclones and a lot of OSR games.

Kenzerco has a few free modules for Hackmaster, which goes well with Hackmaster Basic, a free game.

And Drivethrurpg has a bunch of free resources for all sorts of things, including modules.

What are some sources you use?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Sources of Free Modules

I've never used a module before, technically speaking.

However in live sessions (as opposed to PbP) I tend to run dungeon divers, because they are just simpler to run. In order to eliminate a lot of the paperwork, I started incorporating the maps and quests from an old board game I used to play called Hero Quest.

The game has long since been discontinued and is now a collectible (I really wish I hadn't given mine away), but there is still a minority community of die hard fans who make free dungeon crawls for the system. Because it's based on Forgotten Realms lore it ports into D&D with only a few easy adjustments.

I refluff the Femir into Hobgoblins and use basic Monster Manual stats instead of the stats provided for the monsters and roll treasure according to the DMG instead of using the treasure provided.

It's clunkier than running a true module, but it's free and legal.

Here's the link, in case you want to check it out.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Sources of Free Modules

Not really adding anything useful since my source of free modules is Drivethrurpg as well...

I'm mostly responding so that I'll be more aware of any possible useful answers

Everyone likes free stuff after all