New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Is my paladin a tank or a healer?

Possibly a bit too late as I have already taken the dueling fighting style, however, I am curious about the lack of healers in our party. I am only new to tabletop RPGs.

We have a Paladin, Monk, Bard, and a Fighter.

Currently I have been tanking with my paladin, as it has the highest AC. We just recently got a +1 protection cloak which they gave to my character. I am really really enjoying being a tank, it is so much fun, but should I be focusing on healing instead? Can a bard or monk heal (because I am really loathe to give up the fun I am having busting down doors and swinging swords).

All advice welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Is my paladin a tank or a healer?

The paladin Lay on Hands ability is awesome healing and they also get some further healing from spells. I would say your spell slots are a limited resource best used proactively rather than for healing. The bard is a "better" healer than you - in that they get song of rest and more spell slots.

Most importantly, pick the role you find most fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh yeh, he did a song of rest for us. I didn't realise what it was.

Okay, I will relax and enjoy my tank.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Theoretically "healing" is unnecessary as everyone has Hit Dice to recoup lost HP during Short Rests. In practice, combat healing is more about "death bounce" (yo-yo, whack-a-mole, meatball surgery) than staving off damage piecemeal. Honestly, don't worry too much about it.

If even the Fighter was so inclined they could take up the Healer feat and some Healing Kits, or a bunch of Healing Potions, and "be the healer." Fifth edition was designed so as to not feel so pressured to have a designated healer. And depending on how aggro you play, it's mostly true. Just because there is a presumed "6-8 encounter day" doesn't mean much beyond best practices, let alone you have to fight each one to the death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGirl

Why not both? Lay on Hands is an amazing healing ability, and you usually can wait until after the fight is over to dispense healing. Worst case keep sanctuary prepared, and cast it on people who are at 0hp until you can get to them. Meanwhile, you draw aggro and stop others from getting hurt in the first place.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

ClericGuy

Both:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aranfan View Post
    Why not both? Lay on Hands is an amazing healing ability, and you usually can wait until after the fight is over to dispense healing. Worst case keep sanctuary prepared, and cast it on people who are at 0hp until you can get to them. Meanwhile, you draw aggro and stop others from getting hurt in the first place.
    Yeh I have that, I was just wondering if I *should* be looking at healing spells rather than damage or protection.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Both:
    Spoiler: show
    Show

Bahahaha.... Thank you for that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibis View Post
    Yeh I have that, I was just wondering if I *should* be looking at healing spells rather than damage or protection.
    Hmm. The main issue is that spells are also smites, and as a half caster the slots need to be managed.

Also, Bards can learn both Cure Wounds and Healing Word.

10. - Top - End - #10

Paladins can do it all in 5e, but are esp good as strikers, due to smite and bonus action weapon damage spells. And the silly way smites and crits interact.
    Low Fantasy Gaming RPG - Free PDF at the link: https://lowfantasygaming.com/
    $1 Adventure Frameworks - RPG Mini Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=645444
    Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting - https://lowfantasygaming.com/2017/12...x-setting-pdf/
    GM Toolkits - Traps, Hirelings, Blackpowder, Mass Battle, 5e Hardmode, Olde World Loot http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...Fantasy-Gaming

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

My Paladin has had to pick up the other 3 PCs in a tough fight, before we could attempt to escape.
    I had used Bless, 2 castings of Cure Wounds, and I was out of slots.
    Then the Druid went down, and I was like: "Fuuuuu-".
    Then I remembered that I had Lay on Hands for some emergency healing.
    DM allowed me to channel some HP into the Druid as I yanked her to her feet. She was kinda right underneath the Shambling Mound we were fighting, and I didn't want her having to get up on her own turn before we bounced.

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingRogueGuy

Tank first, heal later. If the Fighter has ceded primary tanking duties to you, roll with it. The Bard should be able to cover healing but you can fill in the gaps when you feel like it.

The buffs you can cast are pretty awesome though. Bless+Bardic Inspiration adds, on average, +6 to the roll of your choice at Level 2.