New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Annihilation... The Movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I was wondering that too. Why don't they have... vehicles? Maps? Once they notice their time is slipping, why no diaries or recordings? Why can all these scientists shoot guns? Why not mix a few more soldiers in with the scientists? Why no... I don't know. Rangers? Survivalists? Proper Doctors? They barely seem to have any equipment. Where are the Geiger counters? Have they tried sending in drones instead of people? Tying people to ropes and pulling them back out?
    THIS! Exactly my thoughts!!

2. - Top - End - #32

BlackDragon

Comments in quotes.
    I was wondering that too. Why don't they have... vehicles? <no idea what they was walking into, and from what they DID know, vehicles wouldn't help at first>Maps? <they did, but the landscape changed so much to make it useless>Once they notice their time is slipping, why no diaries or recordings?< corruption prevented that. It was viewed as a suicide mission after all> Why can all these scientists shoot guns?<they stated they had military training in some shape or form> Why not mix a few more soldiers in with the scientists? <it was assumed that the previous group failed because of the martial bent, so an attempt without it was made.>Why no... I don't know. Rangers?<explained earlier> Survivalists? <they was doing fairly okay but again, they had training>Proper Doctors?<no idea what They were walking into> They barely seem to have any equipment. Where are the Geiger counters? <nothing showed an outward need for it>Have they tried sending in drones instead of people? <yes, and each time it stop sending signals roughly 15 meters inside, and can't be retrieved>Tying people to ropes and pulling them back out?< ropes snapped when people walk inside.>
    All of that was in the movie.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

You don't send scientists without scientific equipment. And if you're sending them into a swamp, at least give them an inflatable boat. Also, I really don't remember them mentioning boats or drones.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-04-17 at 10:28 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #34

BlackDragon

You don't send scientists without scientific equipment. And if you're sending them into a swamp, at least give them an inflatable boat. Also, I really don't remember them mentioning boats or drones.
    They had equipment. Field equipment. It wasn't a full lab but it was never supposed to be. And the boats wasn't mentioned. The drone, however, was shown to fail.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I confess, the psychologist might have mentioned drones not working in her initial explanation. They really should have focused on getting someone into it, no matter how small a way, and then back out again. They keep making a big deal about nobody getting out alive, as Eldan said, tie a rope to someone and yank them out after a short while, report back. Heck just line up a whole mess of bulldozers, and try and flatten your way in. That's not even getting into the whole sending a group of barely trained civilians into an area where trained soldiers die problem. I can understand them wanting to get rid of the psychologist, but a whole team? Then there's the criminal lack of security at their outpost military base, where randoms can just wander into quarantined areas unchallenged.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Two anomalous people have come out of this thing, we're not entirely sure they're safe, sure let's just let them go hug it out together, I'm sure it's fine." I just remember my friend and I shouting, "For god's sake, don't let them touch you idiots!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

6. - Top - End - #36

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    I confess, the psychologist might have mentioned drones not working in her initial explanation. They really should have focused on getting someone into it, no matter how small a way, and then back out again. They keep making a big deal about nobody getting out alive, as Eldan said, tie a rope to someone and yank them out after a short while, report back. Heck just line up a whole mess of bulldozers, and try and flatten your way in. That's not even getting into the whole sending a group of barely trained civilians into an area where trained soldiers die problem. I can understand them wanting to get rid of the psychologist, but a whole team? Then there's the criminal lack of security at their outpost military base, where randoms can just wander into quarantined areas unchallenged.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Two anomalous people have come out of this thing, we're not entirely sure they're safe, sure let's just let them go hug it out together, I'm sure it's fine." I just remember my friend and I shouting, "For god's sake, don't let them touch you idiots!"
    They wasn't barely trained: half that team was ex military. The other half was still in. The rope wouldn't work because it snaps. They shown that.
    And considering they had no idea what was in there, it would of been, from their viewpoint, an extremely bad idea to bulldoze a hole for whatever is inside to get out.

As for the base security, two things. One, the base we see them using is the new one after the old one was enveloped. So it wasn't as fortified, and 2, of those 2 that got out, one for almost all intents and purposes teleported upon getting out, and the other collapsed right outside the former bubble, right where she was picked up immediately. Security IS good, but it can only do so much.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Eeeeh... I'd give it a... 3 out of 5? It's interesting, but just kinda weird. What was up with the flashbacks? Someone tell me if they served a purpose, because I didn't get anything out of them. I liked the visuals, but the characters' reactions to the events at a certain point just seemed... myeh? I mean were they going crazy? I feel like they skipped straight from "going crazy" to "crazy" off-screen. And what was up with the time-skip? It didn't seem to have any impact on the story. Was it supposed to hint at the ending?
    I agree. It was...really pretty in some regards, and some settings were well framed. Some stuff, however, seemed like just a random whatever.

Does the teleporting matter? It just goes away and never comes back.

Dying in a couple of days, must save! Weeks later, this topic is never returned to.

Why does the mimic not always mirror, and why is this obviously ignored by the protagonist?

Why do people in horror movies keep a guard post...but not one that's, yknow, in line of sight to the rest of camp, or guarding anything in particular, and inevitably get ambushed?

Also, if you have guns, how do you get ambushed by a huge, loud thing when there is literally nothing it could hide behind?

The explanation for comms was utter garbage.

There were a lot of really, really obvious problem solving attempts that were not made. I mean, just for starters, making recordings clearly works. And yet, this team doesn't bother to record literally anything. The recordings are all just obvious plot dumps.

Why is the interrogator intent on making her feel guilty about her affair? Doesn't he, yknow, care about security or something? I guess not. *flips table*

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way.. i heard some people mention that the mimic was CGI. And yet.. i was under the weird impression that it was a mime. Another person imperfectly doing of Portman's moves on purpose.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The mimic very quickly escalated from "it's copying her movements" to "it's copying her." It isn't copying her movements exactly because it isn't trying to copy what it sees, it is trying to do what it thinks she is trying to do.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've noticed a trend of Netflix movies generally having interesting premises, but ending up being absolutely mediocre and forgetable...

Annihilation is no exception.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I've noticed a trend of Netflix movies generally having interesting premises, but ending up being absolutely mediocre and forgetable...

Annihilation is no exception.
    Like what for example? What other movies?
    Last edited by Zurvan; 2018-04-29 at 02:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Cloverfield Paradox?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    The Titan... And, ironically, about 4~5 other movies that I honestly don't remember the titles... Is there a way to check my "watched" list?
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Bright? Bright.