New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Some Dex sorcadin advice?

I want to build a stealthy fighter with some magical flavor. What can be improved here?

Variant Human, point-buy 13,15,12,8,8,15 with points to Dex and Cha. Background is Hillsfar Smuggler

Skills: Arcana and Deception from Sorcerer, Stealth and Perception from background, Acrobatics from being human
    Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven (covers most of "good" civilized world)
    Level 1: Shadow sorcerer, War caster as a bonus feat. Spells Known: Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, Mending, Prestidigitation; Charm person, Shield.
    Levels 2 to 7: six levels of sword-and-board Paladin, I'm thinking of oath of Vengence but not sure. Channel Divinity to gain advantage on attacking big guys, hold person and misty step as bonus spells are also nice. Picking Defence fighting style to get on par with STR guys in full plate eventually. ASI goes to Dex.
    Level 8 and beyond: Sorcerer, ASI on character level 10 goes to Dex, 14 and 18 to Cha though I'm afraid this campaign won't last to level 18. Quickened and Careful metamagic options with Subtle or Twinned later.
    Cantrips except for booming blade are chosen RP-wise because I want this character to be not only a war machine but also an addition to social and exploration pillars of a game. Spells:
    8: Absorb Elements, because dragons are nasty and sorcadin is kinda squishy. Also adds some juice to melee damage.
    9: Web (also, Darkness)
    10: Mirror Image; Fire bolt or Friends
    11: Hypnotic pattern
    12: Fireball, Haste or Fly (depending on situation)
    13: Polymorph, maybe swap Charm person for Charm monster
    14: Greater Invisibility (IDK if is it really needed when I have Darkness I can see through)
    15: Animate objects which has insane synergy with Darkness
    16: Dominate Person which can now be twinned

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Some Dex sorcadin advice?

My suggestion is to exchange Charm Person for a more reliable spell. It's a niche spell, IMO, and Sorcerer doesn't have the slots for it.

I'd suggest Burning Hands or Thunderwave for AoE, since you'll be covered for single target DPS.

For cantrips, I think you can fit a GFB in there.

Metamagics are fine. Careful and Quickened are solid choices. Since you'll focus on Dex, mb Heightened could be a solid choice for CC.
    Signed

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobZan View Post
    I'd suggest Burning Hands or Thunderwave for AoE, since you'll be covered for single target DPS.
    Thanks, I'll consider that.

I have never used SCAG cantrips, aren't GFB and BB redundant?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by gnollgnoll View Post

Well, they are dis-synergistic in that you can't use both at once*. Both of them boost your (one*) main attack, but each has an added damage that trigger off different triggers (an enemy being next to your primary opponent, or an opponent who will want to move next round). Booming Blade is beneficial to rogues (who might move in and attack, and then move away quickly), those who are not going to max out their casting stat (since BB starts with 1d8 damage on it's trigger ability, while GFB with {casting stat} damage), or some convoluted Warcaster+OA concepts. Otherwise it comes down to how often you run into fire-vs-thunder-resistant opponents. But again, if you are playing the long game, both are redundant to being a paladin.
    *Note also that you can't use either and a paladin's multi-attack.

From a pure AC and attack per ASI level, you might consider taking a single level of Hexblade Warlock, and Medium Armor Master instead of all the DEX. With that, max out with an AC of 21+magic bonuses instead of 20+mb, and can replace two DEX ASIs with the one MAM ASI, allowing you to max out your CHA (which is now your combat stat as well) 3 levels sooner.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2018-02-22 at 09:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If I recall correctly, they come out behind Extra Attack if the rider effect doesn't trigger, and around on par if it does. One is more than enough (though I think GFB is marginally more useful if you don't have a reliable way of triggering BB); I certainly wouldn't take both on this character, and since you're only delaying Extra Attack by one level, I might actually look at taking something else in their place. disregard that, forgot about Quicken Spell
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2018-02-22 at 12:04 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It is a little redundant to have both, but ultimatly you come out better for it. GFB is great if you find yourself facing two or more things at once, or if you are surrounded, and they don't have Fire Resistance, Fire Immunity, or something that makes them stronger when they take fire damage.

On the other hand, Booming Blade is amazing if you want to keep someone next to you, or if you have war caster. Thunder is rarely resisted, few things are immune to it, and few things are empowered by it.

That being said, I think having the redundancy is a good thing. As a Sorcerer you'll have plenty of cantrips, and having options is great. And don't forget, you can smite with those cantrips since they require you to make a melee weapon attack as part of the casting. You can also Quicken them to make 3 attacks.

That said, I would swap out Mending for a ranged cantrip like Firebolt or Chill Touch. Chill Touch is especially good if you're facing undead, things that heal every round, and it is a god send if you face an undead that heals every round. And go for Haste over Fly. Don't get me wrong, Fly is great. But Haste will boost your AC and give you an attack attack. With Quicken Spell, you'll be doing 4 attacks per round, till you run out of Sorcerer Points.