New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Inside 66: Order up!

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    A Library
    Tethrik snorts. "Chaotic aura? Bah! That weapon is not aligned, and its wielder certainly isn't on the side of Chaos. There's several other people hoping to claim that gun too, and at least one I know of is a demigod. Occam's Razor has felled a demon lord, although not under its current ownership. While we're here, I should look for books on alchemy. Maybe we'll find something."
    At the word 'demigod' Armonia shudders. Trying to catch himself in the hopes Tethrik doesn't notice, Armonia says " that....Occam's Razor? It might not be aligned, and it doesn't have to serve Chaos, but something about it peaked my interest. Anyway...you're right, we gotta figure out what the 5th element is." A moment of awkward silence later. "Well, as I was saying before what was his name? Iuenuke? Iunodse? Whatever...I know a guy who might be able to help. He's REALLY smart. You wouldn't happen to know how to set up a communication between universes would you?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    "I don't have that knowledge, but we're in a library! There's bound to be a book on the subject. Or we could just look for books on the basics of alchemy." Tethrik didn't notice Armonia's reaction to the word "demigod." He stands and goes over to a card catalog.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #123

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    "I don't have that knowledge, but we're in a library! There's bound to be a book on the subject. Or we could just look for books on the basics of alchemy." Tethrik didn't notice Armonia's reaction to the word "demigod." He stands and goes over to a card catalog.
    Armonia remains strangely quiet as he joins Tethrik at the card catalog. He silently begins looking through the various cards to see what is available for alchemy.

The Librarian stands up from her desk, and moves to the opposite end of the card catalog aisle. Checking on us, her eyes narrow. She hurries back to her seat, in such a way that would make anyone who saw her think she did not want to be seen by whoever or whatever she was just spying on

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    That librarian is suspicious. Tethrik knows that Iuvenus is a shapeshifter, and he wouldn't be shocked if he made a second attack here. He finds a card that looks promising. "Here we are. Let's go find it." He shows the card to Armonia. The title is Philosophiæ Alchemia, and the author is Eon Swain Arctis. Tethrik heads off into the stacks to find the book.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #125

BarbarianGuy

(A Library)

Nodding, Armonia runs off into the aisles. He starts in the 'P' case in the Non-fiction aisle and begins looking for the Philosophiæ Alchemia, but he is troubled.

("Why does that librarian seem so familiar?" Armonia ponders to himself. "I know I'm the only one Chaos sent here, I should be the only one of my kind....at least from my universe. Why do I feel I've seen her before?")
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-24 at 03:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik is more familiar with the Dewey Decimal System, and goes to the 500s. He bumps into a small, amber colored dragon reading about biochemistry, and hurriedly apologies, then makes his way to the correct shelf. Searching through, he finds the book, then looks around for Armonia.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #127

BarbarianGuy

(A Library)

When Armonia comes across 'Pain and Suffering; a Guide to getting the Law on your Side', he realizes why the Librarian seems so familiar. His face goes pale.

("No....that's not possible....why would she be here!?!?!") "Tethrik!" Armonia cries, scrambling down the aisle that will take him away from the front. Stepping in front of him at the end, the Librarian removes her glasses and lets her hair down. "Hello Armonia." she says.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-24 at 04:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik emerges from the shelves. "What's going on here?" He's not the only one attracted by the noise, as an amber reptilian face and a scaly talon clutching a wand poke around the corner.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

Front Gate
    "I'm not sure what to say." Ratman tucks the fang into his coat.
    "Say you won't go fighting giant ice-wolves without support next time?" Ithuriel leans back against a nearby building, tossing her robes over one shoulder for now. "I don't think it's really worth going after them now anyway, right?" She asks, looking down at Ratman. Ideally she'd be giving him the sort of look that says "No really, don't go after them" but it's really hard to do that as a were-rhino.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

10. - Top - End - #130

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    Tethrik emerges from the shelves. "What's going on here?" He's not the only one attracted by the noise, as an amber reptilian face and a scaly talon clutching a wand poke around the corner.
    "Yes Armonia, What IS going on here?" the librarian asks, with a look on her face that could burn through an iron golem.

"N-n-now Katrayne...there's no need to b-be angry....I thought we were past this." Armonia says frightfully, putting his hands up as he slowly takes a step back

"NO MAGIC IN THE LIBRARY!" screams Katrayne. From the palm of her hand suddenly emerges a golden chain which pierces straight into the ground. Suddenly, from above the strange reptilian woman, dozens of golden chains rush down towards her, all of which attempt to ensnare her.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    The little dragon is very upset to be called a lizard, and a female. He demands the respect due someone his age.
    The dragon sees the chain extend and focuses his will on it through his wand. He attempts to Counter the spell, ending its effect if successful.
    Tethrik laughs. "If magic isn't allowed, aren't you breaking the rule yourself by attempting to restrain that drake using magic? Also, you need to keep your voice down. People are reading, you know. Ah, the paradox of Law. So often, its adherents break their own codes to enforce them on others." The book is missing from Tethrik's person, but he was carrying it a second ago.

Front Gate
    Ratman is not quite that foolhardy. "No I'll wait until I'm stronger or have powerful allies. I'd never take all those raiders alone."
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-24 at 05:42 PM.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

[Front Gate]

"Good, good. You'll be okay now, right? I probably ought to go and find someone to report this to. Someone, yeah..." Ithuriel looks around and scratches her head, not exactly sure who she should be reporting this to. She slowly shrinks back down to her normal-sized angelic form and starts the rather awkward task of feeding her wings back through her robes. It's easy enough taking them off, but it looks rather undignified putting them back on.

"Um, see you around I guess? Sorry if I was being a bit hard on you about fighting the wolf. It was brave of you. Probably kept him from causing a lot more damage." Ithuriel starts flexing her wings, readying herself for take-off.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Front Gate
    "See you around."
    Ratman darts away, vanishing into an alleyway. A few minutes later, Wayne stumbles out and goes back to his daily business of begging for his dinner.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #134

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    The little dragon is very upset to be called a lizard, and a female. He demands the respect due someone his age.
    The dragon sees the chain extend and focuses his will on it through his wand. He attempts to Counter the spell, ending its effect if successful.
    Tethrik laughs. "If magic isn't allowed, aren't you breaking the rule yourself by attempting to restrain that drake using magic? Also, you need to keep your voice down. People are reading, you know. Ah, the paradox of Law. So often, its adherents break their own codes to enforce them on others." The book is missing from Tethrik's person, but he was carrying it a second ago.
    "Tch, I'm not gonna take ethical comments from a bloody DEMON, now Armonia, what in the names of our Creators are you doing here? And don't you try to weasel out of giving a real answer, or ELSE!"
    The golden chain at Katrayne's hand disappears in a rain of sparkles when the (very clearly male) dragon's Counter spell goes off. A look of annoyance crosses her face as the chains above the dragon lose their golden glow, and instead of trying to ensnare the dragon, begin to topple on top of him.

"Alright Alright" says Armonia, who is very clearly cowed by this woman. "We're here to find out about the 5th element in alchemy, isn't that right Tethrik?" He turn his gaze towards Tethrik, his eyes pleading with him to help.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik is still inwardly laughing about the contradictions in the woman's actions and words. Too bad she isn't a robot, he could have fooled her into destroying herself. "That's... heh... correct. We do not intend your library any harm."

The dragon dodges out of the way of the chains and stows his wand, not wanting to further provoke the librarian. He pulls a flask off the curious leather harness he wears, and takes a swig of its contents.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #136

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    Tethrik is still inwardly laughing about the contradictions in the woman's actions and words. Too bad she isn't a robot, he could have fooled her into destroying herself. "That's... heh... correct. We do not intend your library any harm."

The dragon dodges out of the way of the chains and stows his wand, not wanting to further provoke the librarian. He pulls a flask off the curious leather harness he wears, and takes a swig of its contents.
    "This isn't my library, and intentions mean nothing whenever THIS one is involved." Katrayne looks at Tethrik, then back at Armonia, sighs, then turns toward her desk. "Come with me.......YOU TOO DRAGON BOY"

Armonia walks over to Tethrik , incredibly jittery, as Katrayne walks away. "I'd suggest going the other way, but knowing her, she would catch up in no time....what dragon boy was she talking about?" Armonia, his terrified focus completely on Katrayne, missed the arrival of the dragonic magician on the scene.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Not Quite Docks]

"Good, because I think we might be getting chased by some fae hounds here in the near fu-" that guys begins as he turns toward Raril-

-and spots the bird.

"Raril, there's a pigeon on your shoulder. You have shoulder pigeons. You should go see a doctor immediately, I hear they're contagious."

But are they?

That Guy seems to think they are.

And he sure doesn't want any weird birds using him as a perch if he can avoid it.

The distant baying sounds again, this time a bit closer.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik and the dragon reluctantly follow Katrayne. The dragon speaks up through a thick accent."I take offense tew that, marm. I'm fifty-six, an' don'choo forget it!"

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Quite Docks

The pigeon...coos. It is not, in fact, a talking pigeon. Or an intelligent pigeon. It does however hop onto Raril's hand and look inquiringly at him.

The bag is slightly heavy. Inside is a single gold coin and a note explaining it originated from some kind of magic shadow. The note requests the coin be checked for magic effects, with Raril keeping it as payment if it's safe. It's signed by Candace, a minor minstrel around the Nexus.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2018-03-24 at 09:31 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

20. - Top - End - #140

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    Tethrik and the dragon reluctantly follow Katrayne. The dragon speaks up through a thick accent."I take offense tew that, marm. I'm fifty-six, an' don'choo forget it!"
    "Tch, barely a hatchling compared to me and Armonia." taking a seat at the desk, she faces the three men with aggravation and a touch of sympathy whenever she eyes Tethrik. "My name is Katrayne, also know as The Golden Chain of Law. I'm a demigod in service to my creator, the Primordial, Law. I tell you this, because this nonsensical twit" she gestures to Armonia "probably didn't tell you his origins, and if there is one thing I cannot stand more than anything, it's dishonesty. So...what nonsense has he dragged you into."

"But Katrayne!" Armonia starts. A quick glare from Katrayne shuts him down quickly, he looks down at his feet, like a child getting scolded by a parent might look.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik shakes his head at Katrayne's blind insistence on Armonia's guilt. "You are sorely mistaken. I am the one who dragged Armonia into my problems, and you dragged this guy into it by causing a ruckus. He points to the dragon. "I would suggest you let me find the information I seek, then leave, because if I wait here too long, this library will probably either be destroyed or the site of a murder investigation."

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Curious Curios]

Sam will take the pin, and the spoons, but he might have someone take a look at them before he cooks anything with them.
    "So. Um. Wings. Nice. And welcome to the no-shoes club." Sam says with an awkward smile. Well, he's certainly experienced with red-clad women with too-wide smiles.

Of course, once they leave the store Aly will hear a distinct voice from the earth dragon's skull.
    "YARR, WHO HATH TAKEN POSSESSION OF MY EARTHLY REMAINS? YOU HAD BEST SAY YOUR PRAYERS AND SURRENDER, FOR THIS BE AN 'AUNTING!" it says loudly and yet completely silently.
    [Curious Curios]

Aly'ithra laughs, more of a giggle this time. "It's too bad, I liked those stilettos. Oh no." She looks down at the skull in her hand. "It's haunted. Listen you, I got you out of the bargain bin, so you'd better be appreciative!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Not Quite Docks]

"Good, because I think we might be getting chased by some fae hounds here in the near fu-" that guys begins as he turns toward Raril-

-and spots the bird.

"Raril, there's a pigeon on your shoulder. You have shoulder pigeons. You should go see a doctor immediately, I hear they're contagious."

But are they?

That Guy seems to think they are.

And he sure doesn't want any weird birds using him as a perch if he can avoid it.

The distant baying sounds again, this time a bit closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Not Quite Docks

The pigeon...coos. It is not, in fact, a talking pigeon. Or an intelligent pigeon. It does however hop onto Raril's hand and look inquiringly at him.

The bag is slightly heavy. Inside is a single gold coin and a note explaining it originated from some kind of magic shadow. The note requests the coin be checked for magic effects, with Raril keeping it as payment if it's safe. It's signed by Candace, a minor minstrel around the Nexus.
    [Not Quite the Docks]

"Give me a second, got to reply to this."

Raril casts an Identify spell on the coin and hmms. He pulls a pen from his pocket and scrawls quickly on the back of Candace's note.

The coin's real enough, but only good if you spend it within two moons. If truly worried about it, I'll exchange the whole batch for real solid coins.

The drow pockets the coin, puts the note back in the pigeon's bag, and gently tosses the bird into the air.

"Right, where were we? Running for our lives?" Raril will set off again after That Guy.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

23. - Top - End - #143

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    Tethrik shakes his head at Katrayne's blind insistence on Armonia's guilt. "You are sorely mistaken. I am the one who dragged Armonia into my problems, and you dragged this guy into it by causing a ruckus. He points to the dragon. "I would suggest you let me find the information I seek, then leave, because if I wait here too long, this library will probably either be destroyed or the site of a murder investigation."
    Katrayne looks at Tethrik strangely. Her eyes glow white, similarly to Armonia's. Tethrik will immediately feel a presence pressing into his mind. If Tethrik is familiar with mind probes, he will recognize that this presence is not trying to pull his thoughts, nor is it attempting to compel him. If anything, it would feel as though it is trying to break such effects if Tethrik were under any, while simultaneously trying to determine if Tethrik feels what he says is true.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

[Curious Curios]

"OI, woo-ee YOU'VE RESCUED ME FROM THE SHELF TO BE PUT ON YOUR SHELF. LISTEN YA SKINNY WAIF, UNLESS YE PLAN ON GIVING ME A NICE, FULL-SIZED BODY, YE AIN'T DOIN ME ANY FAVORS. I BE THE LEGENDARY TWO-TON DRAGON, MASTER OF EARTH, AND I AM NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH."

Sam can't hear the skull as he's not a dragon and not holding it.
    "Well, you're still cute, I promise. And you can fly now. So uh, net plus, I think?" Sam wonders if Aly's head was tampered with considering how happy she seems right off the bat. He hopes she doesn't suddenly become greedy and lusty, because that's what the stereotypes for some dragons is.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

A Library

Katrayne will find that Tethrik is telling the truth, but the issue of compulsion is another thing entirely. Some force has rearranged his thought patterns, forming a thick but haphazard wall around a section of his mind.

Tethrik is put off by the glowing eyes. He extends his senses, trying to determine what's going on. He sense what magic effect Katrayne is using.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #146

BarbarianGuy

A Library

Katrayne will find that Tethrik is telling the truth, but the issue of compulsion is another thing entirely. Some force has rearranged his thought patterns, forming a thick but haphazard wall around a section of his mind.

Tethrik is put off by the glowing eyes. He extends his senses, trying to determine what's going on. He sense what magic effect Katrayne is using.
    "Heh, I knew it. You may think you're telling the truth Tethrik, but your mind has clearly been messed with, let's see what Armonia doesn't want you to remember." the glow in Katrayne's eyes expand to cover her scelera, as the presence around Tethrik begins to attack the haphazard wall built up in his mind. Tethrik senses a strong divine dispell effect attempting to penetrate deep into his subconscious.

"Wait what!?" Armonia cries "K-Katrayne, I don't have that power anymore! I'm lucky I still have my original ability thanks to you." While the fear is still present, anger also begins to take shape on Armonia's face. He is tired of the accusations and the mental abuse Katrayne is placing on him.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

A Library
    Tethrik couldn't tell what was going on before, but he can now. "Stop! You don't know what you're doing!" He uses his suddenly heightened state of awareness to drop his consciousness into the mental battleground. He appears as a massive creature, similar in shape to his physical form, but far larger, armored with bony plates. "Stop! Allow me to show you what you attack!"
    The mental view shifts dizzyingly, revealing a bird's eye image. The walls are below, and no longer appear as walls, so much as a dam, holding back a lake of blood. "If you broke that, I doubt I would be able to pull myself together again."

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Not Quite the Docks]

As if to answer Raril's question, a huge black hound comes bounding out of a side-street several blocks away. The monster's flesh writhes and twists like smoke, its eyes like burning coals, and a pair of bony ram's horns coil from the back of its skull. The thing is the size of a horse. It sniffs at the air a few times, before giving a bone rattling howl and leaps straight toward-!

A totally innocent fish-man that Raril hasn't ever seen before.

The poor fish-man gives a gurgling, watery cry as the hound savages him mercilessly. People scream and scatter, unaware that they probably aren't the object of the fae-hound's ire.

"Oh bugger, that deep-one is getting filleted. Those guys are tough, but I don't think he's going to last long," That Guy points out.

The question here is clear.

What's it going to be, Raril?

Run for it?

Or risk life and limb for some fish-guy you've never seen before?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

[Not Quite the Docks]

Raril's eyes flash with a cold anger. This hound was targeting people, people like his children. It had to be stopped before it got to them or some other innocent. Fish-men were fairly harmless, if a bit ugly, in Raril's books. This one didn't deserve this.

The drow draws steel, enchanted with fire and ice, and runs for the strange hound, looking to bury the blades in its back.

[Curious Curios]

"Two-ton nothing! You're just a skull, and if you want a chance to be any more than that, you'd better behave!" Aly says to the skull.

When Sam says she's cute, she grins. "Still cute? Good. Wings will be nice, maybe I can use them to escape?" she ponders.
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2018-03-25 at 03:58 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

30. - Top - End - #150

BarbarianGuy

A Library
    Tethrik couldn't tell what was going on before, but he can now. "Stop! You don't know what you're doing!" He uses his suddenly heightened state of awareness to drop his consciousness into the mental battleground. He appears as a massive creature, similar in shape to his physical form, but far larger, armored with bony plates. "Stop! Allow me to show you what you attack!"
    The mental view shifts dizzyingly, revealing a bird's eye image. The walls are below, and no longer appear as walls, so much as a dam, holding back a lake of blood. "If you broke that, I doubt I would be able to pull myself together again."
    "I....I'm sorry Tethrik....I should've seen the signs of self induced compulsions." Katrayne says, the glow vanishing from her eyes and the anger leaving her face. Tethrik should be able to feel the presence around him dissipate into nothingness. "that...that is quite the (bloodlust?) you are holding back...." turning her attention to the dragon, Katrayne regains her earlier 'composure' " And what business do YOU have with these gentlemen, Dragon Boy?"

Armonia looks away, crossing his arms and puffing his cheeks in a childish pout. He is clearly upset about the fact Katrayne isn't apologizing to him as well.