New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 66: Order up!

[Intersection HQ]

After a little bit of searching, some asking of awkward questions and a fair amount of flying around, Ithuriel finally makes her way to Intersection HQ. The white-robed angelic figure probably looks rather out of place, but she rather boldly strides inside and heads over to the receptionist's desk. "Uh, hey." The boldness doesn't last long. Ithuriel is not used to reporting stuff to the authorities. "I'd like to report a- a...raid, I guess? They wedged one of the gates open, there was a giant ice-wolf, a buncha trucks, a distinct lack of anyone from here stopping them?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    KABAL Territory

Cassidy keeps on ignoring the eye. It was just trying to get a rise out of her, trying to get her to make a mistake. She looks around in the street. Maybe there was something she could steal? A motorbike, maybe? If only she had learned how to properly deck.
    KABAL Territory

They're near the harbor of the city in a rather narrow series of alleyways. She can hear seagulls and machines operating in the distance, but nothing that could help her here. There is a nearby door though, but considering the security lock on it, it is unlikely to be open.
    Therefore, she has a number of options here.

1. Break open the door.

2. Run out the alley and face the goons.

3. Take the eyes suggestion and climb the walls.

There only seem to be storerooms around here and beyond those mostly open space.

Luckily for her, the goons don't seem too eager at approaching considering she just killed that poor boar-person, so she have some time to consider.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    A spacecraft rockets into the city, nearly smashing into a skyscraper before managing to safely land in a small park. It's about large enough for six people, and powered by conventional combustion engines. The shuttle and its occupants land shakily, but intact. The robot Ezra opens the hatch, his silvery metal face and spotlight-like yellow eyes gazing out into the alien (to him) surroundings.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Kushiro Inn

"'I do not know those Wars, either. There is so much I find stripped from my mind, when I do remember something it is a surprise." When Makuro has finished rearranging her bedding to sleep on the floor, she goes to lie down, before stopping. "Shall I turn the light off? I suspect I see better in the dark than you." Since her eyes are so large, with nothing except the pupil, it's easy to believe.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    "MY GIRTH WAS UNMATCHED, LASS! UNMATCHED!" the skull claims, but goes silent afterwards.
    Sam laughs, though he is uncomfortable about any implications that Aly would want to escape from their lovely(?) date.
    "Oh, shoot. I forgot to buy armor. I don't suppose you know anything about that?" he asks. Sam's been going around dangerous situations in just his jacket and gauntlets for too long.
    [Curious Curios]

Aly'ithra shakes her head. "No, I'm no armor smith. I just know it's supposed to cover your vitals, and the lighter the better. Of course, with my scales, I never really wear much armor."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Intersection HQ]

After a little bit of searching, some asking of awkward questions and a fair amount of flying around, Ithuriel finally makes her way to Intersection HQ. The white-robed angelic figure probably looks rather out of place, but she rather boldly strides inside and heads over to the receptionist's desk. "Uh, hey." The boldness doesn't last long. Ithuriel is not used to reporting stuff to the authorities. "I'd like to report a- a...raid, I guess? They wedged one of the gates open, there was a giant ice-wolf, a buncha trucks, a distinct lack of anyone from here stopping them?"
    [Intersection HQ]

Ithuriel might not be experienced with authorities, but maybe she has experience with big stupid jellyfish? Because the receptionist appears to be a large, pink, tentacled creature which occasionally flashes with bio-luminescence.
    "This one will search the database for this incident."
    "Officers were drawn away from the gate due to a robbery four blocks away. Armed officers arrived at the scene described at [about two minutes after Ithuriel left]. Intersection thanks you for alerting us regardless." it "says" impassively as a little device nearby chirps out a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Curious Curios]

Aly'ithra shakes her head. "No, I'm no armor smith. I just know it's supposed to cover your vitals, and the lighter the better. Of course, with my scales, I never really wear much armor."
    [Outside Curious Curios]

"Well, I admit, I dunno where I can find somewhere that has something that'll fit me, unless it's magic or tailor-made. You wanna go spend some more of your ill-gotten cash? You can be my fashion adviser." he says with a grin. "Uh, I don't know if there's any armorers in town. And I don't think Handyman back there will appreciate us coming back for a while."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside Curious Curios]

"There has to be a smith somewhere." Aly summises. "Maybe in... what's that place? Mallside?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

8. - Top - End - #188

[Intersection HQ]

There's a Mass of creatures that Ithuriel is unfamiliar with. But being a veteran of the Nexus, it has little Effect on her. The receptionist's response, however, causes her jaw to drop for a moment as she just stares in disbelief at...her? him? She stares at the jellyceptionist.

"A robbery? A robbery four blocks away and they had no idea-" Ithuriel cuts herself short and takes a moment to facepalm. Must not judge too hastily. Besides, she hardly looks like a seasoned cop herself, what does she know about protecting a city whose size and shape varies from moment to moment? "I have some, hmm, some concerns about your methods. But I'd like to be able to do more to help, so how do I enroll?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

"Ma'am, the delay to the officers does not indicate a lack of awareness on their part." says the hanar impassively.
    "If you wish to enroll you will have to fill out a number of forms." it says, gesturing to a large packet on the desk.

[Outside Curious Curios]

"We can try that. Worst case we can always find another magic shop there." he says, trying to snake a pair of arms around her so he can walk there close with her.

10. - Top - End - #190

[Intersection HQ]

Receptionists. Truly, Ithuriel has never included such a terrible foe. It's taken the hanar all of about ten seconds to start testing her patience. "Forms? Sure. Do you have a pen I could use?" She picks up a packet and starts flipping through the sheets.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside Curious Curios]

Aly'ithra hesitates for a moment, but then lets Sam pull her close. Was it too fast for a first date? She wasn't sure, but it was nice. Sam will notice that she feels quite warm, like a rock that's been sitting in the sun. And so together the pair makes their way to Mallside.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Not Quite the Docks]

Raril often times has some very straight forward solutions to problems.

Awful fae hound mauling someone to death?

Stab it until it stops being a problem!

Short.

To the point.

And generally quite effective.

Maybe in this case it's a little TOO effective. That is to say, Raril's blade slides into the monster with almost no resistance at all. The beast whirls away, tearing the weapon out sideways in the process and giving Raril a pretty good view of its 'flesh' swirling like congealed black fog. With a snarl, its maw splits open half-way down its body, revealing a cavernous pit lined with teeth and the clammy scent of grave soil. Should Raril fail to move quickly enough, he'll discover that the barghest's teeth are wholly corporeal.

That Guy, meanwhile, appears to be having trouble deciding what he's going to be doing about all this. He's really not terribly fond of deep ones, see. But then again, this elf has been nice enough to humor him and he would rather not see Raril get mauled to death. All that in mind, he draws that weird not-quite-there staff of his and starts heading for the fight. Seems he's not quite as fleet of foot as Raril.

The deep one, meanwhile, starts slinking away toward the sea-wall while the black hound is distracted.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #193

Bayt Alshshay

Iamar nods towards the server, who turns and withdraws into the back. She looks back to her copy of the menu, placing her finger on a couple of lines of what surely looks like squiggled text to Naku. "I think I shall have a bowl of the chicken stew, today. Do you know what you wish to have, Naku?"
    Bayt Alshshay

Oh no.
    It's squiggles.
    "That- . . . that sounds delightful. Yes. I too will have a bowl of the chicken stew, I think."
    Smooth Nuance Naku, this one, at it again.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

14. - Top - End - #194

KABAL Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    They're near the harbor of the city in a rather narrow series of alleyways. She can hear seagulls and machines operating in the distance, but nothing that could help her here. There is a nearby door though, but considering the security lock on it, it is unlikely to be open.
    Therefore, she has a number of options here.

1. Break open the door.

2. Run out the alley and face the goons.

3. Take the eyes suggestion and climb the walls.

There only seem to be storerooms around here and beyond those mostly open space.

Luckily for her, the goons don't seem too eager at approaching considering she just killed that poor boar-person, so she have some time to consider.
    Cassidy didn't have a lot of options, and she didn't like any of them. Going out of the alley was suicide. Her power needed time to recharge, and she had precious few bullets. Climbing the walls was out, too - she could that, but she'd need to wait for her magic for that as well. And the way this stupid thing kept encouraging her to climb told her it was likely a trap.

"Drek's hit the fan now," she says, as she levels her pistol at the lock in the door, firing another two shots. Hopefully that was enough to make it possible to shove open with her shoulder.

Kushiro Inn
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "'I do not know those Wars, either. There is so much I find stripped from my mind, when I do remember something it is a surprise." When Makuro has finished rearranging her bedding to sleep on the floor, she goes to lie down, before stopping. "Shall I turn the light off? I suspect I see better in the dark than you." Since her eyes are so large, with nothing except the pupil, it's easy to believe.
    "Perhaps that is a blessing, if the Wars have not touched your homeland." Keiko sounds rather melancholy in that sentence, as she sits on the bed and tests it for comfort. Perhaps the mattress was stiff, but no worse than a wooden floor. She'd manage. "If you like. I shall be performing my evening meditations anyway." She sits cross-legged on top of the sheets and closes her eyes, her breathing taking on the same pattern she had demonstrated to Makuro at the park.

Spaceship Landing
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    A spacecraft rockets into the city, nearly smashing into a skyscraper before managing to safely land in a small park. It's about large enough for six people, and powered by conventional combustion engines. The shuttle and its occupants land shakily, but intact. The robot Ezra opens the hatch, his silvery metal face and spotlight-like yellow eyes gazing out into the alien (to him) surroundings.
    Onora is much less bulky than Ezra, but she is no less mechanical. The android shields her eyes from the sunlight as she descends from the hatch. "I think this thing's navigation system needs work," she says, before looking out at her surrounding as well.

Bayt Alshshay
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    Oh no.
    It's squiggles.
    "That- . . . that sounds delightful. Yes. I too will have a bowl of the chicken stew, I think."
    Smooth Nuance Naku, this one, at it again.
    Iamar blinks at Naku. Whatever that was, it did not sound like anything natural. "Are you quite alright, friend? Do you have any questions about the me-" She looks back down at it, and the very Arabic language it is written in. "Do-do you require any help in reading this?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing

"I would agree, if there was a navigation system left to repair. I salvaged it a long time ago for parts to repair life support." Ezra emerges from the craft, a seven foot behemoth of shining metal, navy piping running along his limbs. "Intriguing. Technology varies in level from non-existent to incredibly advanced throughout this city."

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Kushiro Inn

"Or I can't remember them." Always a possibility with an amnesiac whose lost most of her memory. She does get up and turns the light out, before walking easily back to her impromptu floor-bed and lying down. It doesn't take long for her breathing to slow and deepen into the regular rhythm of sleep.

Keiko may feel a weight settle on her shoulder, like a large-ish bird.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

KABAL Territory

Cassidy didn't have a lot of options, and she didn't like any of them. Going out of the alley was suicide. Her power needed time to recharge, and she had precious few bullets. Climbing the walls was out, too - she could that, but she'd need to wait for her magic for that as well. And the way this stupid thing kept encouraging her to climb told her it was likely a trap.

"Drek's hit the fan now," she says, as she levels her pistol at the lock in the door, firing another two shots. Hopefully that was enough to make it possible to shove open with her shoulder.
    KABAL Territory

Cassidy blasts two holes in the wall, destroying the lock but also causing the alarm to go off. Though she probably don't care about that right now.
    Inside it is very cold, like she walked into a freezer and judging by the boxes upon boxes with pictures of a smiling goblin in a hot dog bun suit giving her the thumbs up, that might just be what she just did.
    It appears she just entered a hot dog bun storehouse.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-04-04 at 04:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Intersection HQ]

Receptionists. Truly, Ithuriel has never included such a terrible foe. It's taken the hanar all of about ten seconds to start testing her patience. "Forms? Sure. Do you have a pen I could use?" She picks up a packet and starts flipping through the sheets.
    A cup of pens can be found on the desk for Ithuriel.
    The application for membership as Intersection staff is a long list of personal information and qualifications.
    Spoiler: Forms
    Show
    -Name, age, species/race, gender (born and current), address, etc
    -any ongoing effects unusual for your people (lycanthropy, immortality, curses, non-standard diseases, etc)
    -home realm
    -Are you or have you ever been undead?
    -Has there been a change to your identity, species, gender, or mental faculties in the last year?
    -What is your desired position?
    -Have you ever participated in a spontaneous musical number?
    -Can you provide proof that you have lived in the Nexus for at least 6 weeks?
    -Please provide previous work experience, and contact information if in Nexus
    -Are you willing to be subject to a background check?
    -Are you willing to be subject to a psyche evaluation?
    -Please print [Garbled but barely legible text] to prove you are not a Borg drone
    -Are you willing to work with people vastly different from yourself, including but not limited to cephalopods, griffins, ponies, elves, fox-folk, and cyborgs?
    -Please include skills or powers you feel qualify you for a position

It's a rather lengthy series of forms.

19. - Top - End - #199

[Intersection HQ]

Ithuriel sighs and takes a seat, squirming uncomfortably as she tries to find a position where her wings aren't being squashed.
    Spoiler: Form
    Show
    -Name, age, species/race, gender (born and current), address, etc Ithuriel, unknown, angel/were-rhino, female, female, extraplanar bubble
    -any ongoing effects unusual for your people (lycanthropy, immortality, curses, non-standard diseases, etc) Does natural lycanthropy count? Immortal depending on your definition - I don't age.
    -home realm My deity's personal realm (he never told me its name, it's just sort of his place)
    -Are you or have you ever been undead? Yes. Twice.
    -Has there been a change to your identity, species, gender, or mental faculties in the last year? Not in the last year
    -What is your desired position? Preferably something that lets me work independently.
    -Have you ever participated in a spontaneous musical number? Yes
    -Can you provide proof that you have lived in the Nexus for at least 6 weeks? My place of residence is on another plane, so I don't think so.
    -Please provide previous work experience, and contact information if in Nexus Adventurer, vampire hunter, servant to a deity, I don't really use phones but I have a horn that can be used to summon me.
    -Are you willing to be subject to a background check? Yes, though I don't know how you'd do it.
    -Are you willing to be subject to a psyche evaluation? I don't know what that is, but yes.
    -Please print [Garbled but barely legible text] to prove you are not a Borg drone [Garbled but barely legible text]
    -Are you willing to work with people vastly different from yourself, including but not limited to cephalopods, griffins, ponies, elves, fox-folk, and cyborgs? Yes
    -Please include skills or powers you feel qualify you for a position I can fly, I can transform into a rhino, I'm a skilled swordfighter, I'm very hard to kill, I can regenerate my own limbs, I have various minor angelic powers such as healing magic and an aura of calming

She possibly hasn't ever had to fill in a form like this before. It probably shows. It takes her quite a while to fill it out, but eventually she places it back on the receptionist's desk. "So uh, what happens now?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Not Quite the Docks]

Raril often times has some very straight forward solutions to problems.

Awful fae hound mauling someone to death?

Stab it until it stops being a problem!

Short.

To the point.

And generally quite effective.

Maybe in this case it's a little TOO effective. That is to say, Raril's blade slides into the monster with almost no resistance at all. The beast whirls away, tearing the weapon out sideways in the process and giving Raril a pretty good view of its 'flesh' swirling like congealed black fog. With a snarl, its maw splits open half-way down its body, revealing a cavernous pit lined with teeth and the clammy scent of grave soil. Should Raril fail to move quickly enough, he'll discover that the barghest's teeth are wholly corporeal.

That Guy, meanwhile, appears to be having trouble deciding what he's going to be doing about all this. He's really not terribly fond of deep ones, see. But then again, this elf has been nice enough to humor him and he would rather not see Raril get mauled to death. All that in mind, he draws that weird not-quite-there staff of his and starts heading for the fight. Seems he's not quite as fleet of foot as Raril.

The deep one, meanwhile, starts slinking away toward the sea-wall while the black hound is distracted.
    Raril's ruby red eyes go wide, seeing the gaping maw that was this creature's mouth. He's quick, though, to avoid the teeth, receiving only a few scratches. The drow rolls his wrists, causing fire and ice to steam up around his blades. "Damn, I thought steel hurt you fae. Or are you the sort that needs real cold forged iron?" He wonders, falling into a defensive stance and putting himself between the deep one and the barghest.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #201

Spaceship Landing
    "I would agree, if there was a navigation system left to repair. I salvaged it a long time ago for parts to repair life support." Ezra emerges from the craft, a seven foot behemoth of shining metal, navy piping running along his limbs. "Intriguing. Technology varies in level from non-existent to incredibly advanced throughout this city."
    "Yeah, I guess that's more important. Not like our ships that don't really have a life support system." After all, Onora was an android, if she needed to be in a deep sleep, she just had to activate that toggle in her programming, and there wouldn't be any problems.

She looks down the street, raising and eyebrow and crossing her arms. "What kind of city is this? There's no baseline of architecture at all."

Kushiro Inn
    "Or I can't remember them." Always a possibility with an amnesiac whose lost most of her memory. She does get up and turns the light out, before walking easily back to her impromptu floor-bed and lying down. It doesn't take long for her breathing to slow and deepen into the regular rhythm of sleep.

Keiko may feel a weight settle on her shoulder, like a large-ish bird.
    "Perhaps that is a mercy as well," is all Keiko says before falling into her meditations. She does note the weight on her shoulder, but doesn't turn towards it. "Hm."

KABAL Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Cassidy blasts two holes in the wall, destroying the lock but also causing the alarm to go off. Though she probably don't care about that right now.
    Inside it is very cold, like she walked into a freezer and judging by the boxes upon boxes with pictures of a smiling goblin in a hot dog bun suit giving her the thumbs up, that might just be what she just did.
    It appears she just entered a hot dog bun storehouse.
    Cassidy couldn't care less about the security alarm right now. Not getting captured was a much higher priority. She rushes inside and only takes the briefest of glances at her surroundings. Some kind of stupid hot dog place? Whatever, it would do.

She looks up towards the tops of the walls. This place couldn't just have that door in the alleyway, there had to be another way out.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    "Agreed. The populace is also unusual. There are humans," a pair of elves walk by, not even staring at the shuttle, "and humanoid species," shortly after the elves passes a Hoovooloo, an intelligent shade of the color blue, "and whatever that is. It might not be a bad idea to explore and find out what sort of place we're in."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #203

Spaceship Landing

"Scan complete: No machine lifeforms detected within a five meter radius." Pod 132 floats up between Ezra and Onora, who looks more than a little surprised.

"Seriously? Not one?" She didn't have the same scanners as her pod, but she also had no reason to distrust it. "I guess if there's no machine threat, there's no harm in looking around."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing

Ezra moves to enter the first building he sees, hoping to learn about the city. Behind him, the shuttle door automatically closes and locks.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Kushiro Inn

Makuro moves around in her sleep quite a lot, but doesn't wake. She'll sleep the night through.

The bird-weight on Keiko's shoulder will stay put, not intruding on her meditation.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

Another applicant arrives here. This time it's Michalson, the half-elf adventurer. He'll announce that he's here about a job in whichever way is appropriate, then wait to speak to someone.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #207

Spaceship Landing

Ezra moves to enter the first building he sees, hoping to learn about the city. Behind him, the shuttle door automatically closes and locks.
    Onora sighs and looks back at the locked door. "Stranded in a strange city with no links to anybody. What could go wrong?" She follows Ezra, but just looks at the building first. Hopefully it looked at least mostly intact.

Kushiro Inn

Makuro moves around in her sleep quite a lot, but doesn't wake. She'll sleep the night through.

The bird-weight on Keiko's shoulder will stay put, not intruding on her meditation.
    "A weight on my shoulder," Keiko says, in an only half-conscious voice. "Yet nothing else in this room stirs. A trick of my mind, perhaps?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing

The building is not ruined. It is, in fact, a store selling cookware. Ezra doesn't care about this. He enters and asks the cashier, "Where is this? Who rules this planet?"

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

[Intersection HQ]

The receptionist will submit Ithuriel's forms, resulting in a pause as another one is printed out for her.
    Please describe your god, their tenets, and any possible conflicts of interest they might cause during your service. it says.

Meanwhile, Michalson will be given the same set of forms.
    Spoiler: Forms
    Show
    -Name, age, species/race, gender (born and current), address, etc
    -any ongoing effects unusual for your people (lycanthropy, immortality, curses, non-standard diseases, etc)
    -home realm
    -Are you or have you ever been undead?
    -Has there been a change to your identity, species, gender, or mental faculties in the last year?
    -What is your desired position?
    -Have you ever participated in a spontaneous musical number?
    -Can you provide proof that you have lived in the Nexus for at least 6 weeks?
    -Please provide previous work experience, and contact information if in Nexus
    -Are you willing to be subject to a background check?
    -Are you willing to be subject to a psyche evaluation?
    -Please print [Garbled but barely legible text] to prove you are not a Borg drone
    -Are you willing to work with people vastly different from yourself, including but not limited to cephalopods, griffins, ponies, elves, fox-folk, and cyborgs?
    -Please include skills or powers you feel qualify you for a position

It's a rather lengthy series of forms.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Kushiro Inn

"Hoo-poo." With the bird's call, a rather scary thought may just pop into Keiko's head- a trick of her mind, or a trick of someone else's mind?

The hoopoe's telepathy isn't very strong, but all it's trying to do is inspire the thought.