New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Post The Arks of Night= & The Bones of Ishtar

So I started brainstorming a world:

It's now called Arks of Night, a world that draws upon Sumerian/Babylonian myths for inspiration.

The gods died, and the world became enshrouded in eternal darkness the only light now comes from the Arks- giant cities which have their noble-folk create the sun and moon to create a day and night cycle in the area.

Its original name was :Embrace Force of Nature-- but I haven't gotten around to renaming all the pages yet:Arks of Night--Bones of Ishtar. But I think the Overview which lists out some inspirations gives the kind of vibes I was trying to go for. But have a read and let me know what you all think

But I am looking for some help in trying to decide what system I'd put it in. Its all fluff right now. I had originally tried to develop a game system for it-- but I found it wasn't something I do easily.

If you want to reach out to me: my discord is: HeartQuintessence#6439

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: The Arks of Night= & The Bones of Ishtar

Hi! This looks like it has a lot of potential to be a really cool world.
    I know it's a work in progress but you've provided precious little material to work from.
    At a glance, the first couple things that jump out are the ecosystems outside the arks and the culture as a result.

For ecosystems: I think you will have to decide if you want to take a semi-realism or pure fantasy approach. If you want to use semi-realism, not having light outside of the cities would have a profound effect on life. The baseline for most ecosystems is photosythesising flora. You could look at cave ecosystems as a reference for life without light. Would the lack of light result in super cold temperature? How would this lack of light affect forests and how would that affect availability of resources for the arks?
    For culture: The ark structure for society seems to me that it could lead to concepts similar to early southeastern Asia (a la siam and khmer) where the power and prosperity of nations/tribes were measured by the number of citizens rather than land owned. Much of this rose from the wide areas of inhospitable jungle with small bastions of civilization. Wars in this time and place were waged by rasing an army and marching to another city and battling there. Spoils of war were most often captives. Battles not conducted in cities were ambushes against enemy armies or convoys on the march to other cities.

The dead gods aspect could lead to a lot of good conflict. War between the followers of the old gods, hoping desperately to revive their deities and the new demi gods, maybe?

Hope this helps!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: The Arks of Night= & The Bones of Ishtar

And this is why I turn to you all. A bunch of other minds, reaching out to help make it better.

So far Eco Systems: The planets are drawing on alternative sources ( some have drawn life from geo themeral vents far beneath the ground.)

Plants in cities are really 'legacy' and heritage breeds, being improved and farmed upon.

The farther from the Ark, the more people rely on wild, tubers and mushrooms to get by.

The number of people might work a power measure- I am still working on it. Right now the world's got a few problems: Arks far far apart. Travel is dangerous, caravans and hte like are common but its travel through cold and dark with no sun or moon, until you hit the next city.

The Lumassi and the Wardens form groups to travel with these caravans.

But you've brought up some great points.

(Sorry about the scattered thoughts it early in the morning before work.)