The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    No it does not. Boarding while there are live enemy ships ready to engage is a bad idea. Hannabel says no, no, no.
    It doesn't really put us in a worse position, does it? And it gives Felidae something to do in ship combat, something I'm all in favor of =)

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Also, isn't that exactly how we took the Fury?

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

The general "crew" of these ones wont be as accepting of new owners and its not really the place to find more
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.

4. - Top - End - #1324

MindFlayer

We can always split the crew from some of our existing ships. We've done that before as well.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Boarding means we have to make a Manoeuvre action to get within 1 VU of the crippled ship, during which time we cannot shoot. While we're boarding, we can't take Manoeuvre or Shooting actions and drop to last in the initiative order. Sure, we're likely to win a boarding action in one turn due to Macharius' oversized Command bonus, but in that time the enemy can blast away at us and we can't do anything about it. Destro may of course decide that the other Carrion are too busy with the Fury to do that, but it's all up to him really.

So yes, IMO, we end up in a worse position - fully reliant on the goodwill of our DM to avoid being shot up while unable to defend ourselves.

6. - Top - End - #1326

Boarding means we have to make a Manoeuvre action to get within 1 VU of the crippled ship, during which time we cannot shoot. While we're boarding, we can't take Manoeuvre or Shooting actions and drop to last in the initiative order. Sure, we're likely to win a boarding action in one turn due to Macharius' oversized Command bonus, but in that time the enemy can blast away at us and we can't do anything about it. Destro may of course decide that the other Carrion are too busy with the Fury to do that, but it's all up to him really.

So yes, IMO, we end up in a worse position - fully reliant on the goodwill of our DM to avoid being shot up while unable to defend ourselves.
    Well - I can safely say you're better at the rules for space combat than I am .. I have, after all, never read them. So ok, we do end up in a worse position.

We moved to flank, tho - right? Can they even turn to fire at us?

Eh .. I will leave the tactics to others. Felidae is standing by to board at Macharius' command, whether it comes or not.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

There's a few issues with boarding. Not to say you can't do it, but do you really want to try dragging a half-speed ship with manouevre penalties back through a debris field the size of the solar system?
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Damage resolution for IC thread:

Jovian missile battery - close range
    Success +3 DoS vs. 90 equals 4 hits (Str 5)
    Damage (assumes one hit was needed to knock down enemy void shields): (3d10+3)[16]

OR
    Jovian missile battery - normal range
    Success +2 DoS vs. 80 equals 3 hits (Str 5)
    Damage (assumes one hit was needed to knock down enemy void shields): (2d10+2)[13]

Sunsear laser battery
    Success +6 or +7 DoS vs. 90 equals 4 hits (Str 4) and 1 Critical Hit.
    Damage: (4d10+8)[39]
    Sunsear critical hit: (1d5)[1] = Holed!

Total damage before armour: 55 (39+16) or 52 (39+13)
    Last edited by rax; 2019-09-17 at 06:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Alrighty. The closest ship is probably one of the smaller raiders. Using the reroll means 2 degrees of success on the missiles, 3 hits. Looks like you left Damage to me. The lasers you maxed out. 4 hits and a critical. One of the missile hits gets discarded to void shields.

(1d10+1)[10](1d10+1)[9](1d10+2)[6](1d10+2)[5](1d10+2)[9](1d10+2)[11] - 50 damage. 35 after armour. That gets past all of its hull integrity, and does a 5 crit, which is fire. You know about their guns because they've fired them, so you can pick whether you want their lasers or macrocannons to be on fire.

and the critical: (1d5)[3] - sensors damaged. That ship is now blind.

Ignore all of the above. Ninjas, I tell you. Ninjas and Vindicare Assassins.

The Sting is lower in initiative than the raiders, so they get to go this round without worrying about whatever damage you inflicted. They focus fire on the Fury, since that's what they're aware of.

Raider 1:
    guns: (1d100)[79]
    (1d10+2)[8](1d10+2)[6](1d10+2)[4]
    - missed
    lasers: (1d100)[10] - 4 hits and a critical hit
    (1d10+2)[10](1d10+2)[6](1d10+2)[7] - 3 damage. My dice say that the critical is Thrusters Damaged.

Raider 2:
    guns: (1d100)[41] - 2 hits
    (1d10+2)[10](1d10+2)[5](1d10+2)[8] voids and armour say no damage
    lasers: (1d100)[77]
    (1d10+2)[12](1d10+2)[8](1d10+2)[6]
    - miss

The crippled frigate tries to attack the Fury as well.
    lasers: (1d100)[52] - 1 hit
    (1d10+2)[10](1d10+2)[7](1d10+2)[8] just enough to cancel void shields
    lance: (1d100)[1] - so that this hit gets through. Another critical.
    (1d10+4)[5] - minimum damage, though. Lances ignore armour, so 5 damage. Rolled Fire for the critical. They set the Stygies cannons on fire.

The shrike goes past the Fury and tries for Torgan.
    macrocannons: (1d100)[84]
    (1d10+2)[3](1d10+2)[11](1d10+2)[8]
    - miss
    disruptors: (1d100)[44] - 2 hits
    (1d10+1)[3](1d10+1)[3](1d10+1)[4] Torgan's ship has Glimmer shields. I rolled a 2, so no hits get cancelled. Disruption cannons do no damage. Instead, for every 5 damage that gets past void shields, one random component becomes unpowered. Appropriately, they randomly depowered the void shields.

The Fury moves half speed and turns, firing after the Shrike. Forgot Put Your Backs Into It. Rolled seperate, got a 20. They pass, so Elena gets a further +5 BS on the Stygies.
    Stygies: (1d100)[65] - hit, thanks to PYBII
    (1d10+2)[12](1d10+2)[10](1d10+2)[3] - cancelled by voids
    Meltas: (1d100)[7] - 3 hits and a critical
    (1d10+4)[13](1d10+4)[12](1d10+4)[8] - 33 - armour. 17 damage. Crits from the meltacannons are always Fire. The Fury sets the disruption cannons on fire.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-17 at 07:04 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Is my damage resolution post above yours invisible, good sir? I even linked to it in the IC thread and everything...😉

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

It wasn't there when I started my post. These big combat posts with a ton of dice rolls take a long time to do.

Edit: You're at Normal Range. Looking through, the upshot of your rolls is a 7 crit for Surly Techsprites instead of Fire, and Holed instead of Sensors Damaged. You've depressurized something.

Techsprites rolls for everything. I'll just do that with my dice. Faster.

Things on the ship that are now Unpowered:
    Warp Engines, Plasma Drives, Void Shields, Bridge, Life Support, Crew Quarters, Laser Batteries.

So they have no power, no way to run away, no shields, no control, and no oxygen.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-17 at 07:20 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So to sum up the situation:

1 Raider is pretty much dead
    1 Frigate is crippled but still shooting
    1 Shrike is hurt and on fire, but not crippled
    1 Raider is undamaged.

Is that right?

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

That's right.

The Raider's out. No air, no power. They'll probably all suffocate before they can get everything repaired properly. The Frigate is still dangerous, but very slow and would be pretty easy to finish off.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #1334

I still feel it's boarding time. Only when you can see the fear in their eyes are you truly delivering the Light of the God-Emperor unto His enemies.

15. - Top - End - #1335

MindFlayer

Boarding is the fastest way to kill a ship, so maybe we should board the undamaged raider. Can the Sting still fire at another ship if we start boarding?

16. - Top - End - #1336

I would have argued to board the most valuable ship. Still, no complaints either way =)

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Boarding is the fastest way to kill a ship, so maybe we should board the undamaged raider. Can the Sting still fire at another ship if we start boarding?
    No. We have to give up our shooting action to board and once we've boarded we can't take manoeuvre or shooting actions. Since we also drop to last in the initiative order that would enable the undamaged raider to shoot us up unless the Fury can finish her off. Of course the Fury has her own problems right now.

The Shrike is heavily damaged but not crippled and it's actively attacking our salvage ship. We only have our Sunsears this turn, but if Hannabel can hit 4 successes then even an average damage roll should cripple her. Crippled ships have -10 penalties to Manoeuvre and Detection, half speed and half Strength for weapons (reducing the maximum number of possible hits). If we board her it's pretty much an auto-win but we may get attacked ourselves.

The frigate firing at the Fury is already crippled and burning, but seems to want to go down fighting. We could probably finish her off with just the Sunsears.

The undamaged raider can hurt any of us with some good rolls, but they don't have Hannabel or Elena Dassel doing their shooting. Naturally, boarding them is also likely to be an auto-win.

The Fury is on fire and is likely to lose one set of guns. She might be able to finish off the frigate, but she probably doesn't have the firepower to comprehensively defeat the undamaged raider in one exchange. Since she's also got damaged thrusters, she probably can't manage to board the raider.

For my money, the least worst options are to order the Fury to keep hammering the frigate and we either board the undamaged raider (exposing Torgan to another turn of attacks by the Shrike) or the Shrike (leaving the undamaged raider free to shoot whoever it wants). On balance, going after the undamaged raider is probably best, though they may choose to shoot at us, which would happen before we can close. So there's a risk of getting badly banged up.

So Hannabel is in fact advocating boarding. You heard it here first, boys!

18. - Top - End - #1338

No. We have to give up our shooting action to board and once we've boarded we can't take manoeuvre or shooting actions. Since we also drop to last in the initiative order that would enable the undamaged raider to shoot us up unless the Fury can finish her off. Of course the Fury has her own problems right now.

The Shrike is heavily damaged but not crippled and it's actively attacking our salvage ship. We only have our Sunsears this turn, but if Hannabel can hit 4 successes then even an average damage roll should cripple her. Crippled ships have -10 penalties to Manoeuvre and Detection, half speed and half Strength for weapons (reducing the maximum number of possible hits). If we board her it's pretty much an auto-win but we may get attacked ourselves.

The frigate firing at the Fury is already crippled and burning, but seems to want to go down fighting. We could probably finish her off with just the Sunsears.

The undamaged raider can hurt any of us with some good rolls, but they don't have Hannabel or Elena Dassel doing their shooting. Naturally, boarding them is also likely to be an auto-win.

The Fury is on fire and is likely to lose one set of guns. She might be able to finish off the frigate, but she probably doesn't have the firepower to comprehensively defeat the undamaged raider in one exchange. Since she's also got damaged thrusters, she probably can't manage to board the raider.

For my money, the least worst options are to order the Fury to keep hammering the frigate and we either board the undamaged raider (exposing Torgan to another turn of attacks by the Shrike) or the Shrike (leaving the undamaged raider free to shoot whoever it wants). On balance, going after the undamaged raider is probably best, though they may choose to shoot at us, which would happen before we can close. So there's a risk of getting badly banged up.

So Hannabel is in fact advocating boarding. You heard it here first, boys!
    You are depressingly good at these rules. I just want to do something rash, ill-considered and incredibly violent. I applaud you while still feeling you're not really getting into the whole FOR THE EMPEROR!!! feel of the thing =D

Also, I'd recommend listening to Hannah over Felidae - any time.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so I need the Pilot+Manouevrability test from Hannabel (-20) to start the boarding, and a Command Test from Macharius. From there, I should be good to update.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #1340

MindFlayer

Command: (1d100)[80] vs 112

21. - Top - End - #1341

MindFlayer

If 3 DoS doesn't do it I'll spend fate:
    (1d100)[66]

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm going to assume that Macharius bestows his Exceptional Leader bonus on Hannabel's piloting.

Pilot (Space Craft) test vs. 68 (53 Ag +25 Man +10 Exceptional Leader -20 Difficulty)
    (1d100)[90]

Fate Point re-roll if test fails: (1d100)[63]

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, so Hannabel passes with the fate reroll. The ship needs to roll opposed command, so here's that: (1d100)[85] It also still gets its shooting, because of initiative order.

So, here's it trying to shoot you while you bear down on it.
    Guns: (1d100)[94]
    (1d10+2)[3](1d10+2)[7](1d10+2)[3]

Lasers: (1d100)[29] - 3 hits
    (1d10+2)[9](1d10+2)[11](1d10+2)[4] - 4 damage

Alright, so Macharius got 3 degrees of success, and the raider got 4 degrees of failure. They take a lot of damage. What do you want to inflict it on? Crew pop?

Damaged raider attempts emergency repairs: (1d100)[33] - failed. They're gonna die of suffocation.

Torgan finishes up with disengaging. He rolls to repair his voids: (1d100)[66] - nope
    And fires his guns at the attacking Shrike:
    Macrocannons: (1d100)[58]
    (1d10+1)[9](1d10+1)[11](1d10+1)[3]
    Missiles: (1d100)[65]
    (1d10+1)[11](1d10+1)[3](1d10+1)[7]
    - Torgan cannot into Space Combat

The Shrike keeps up pressure on him. The disruptors only get to shoot if the fire doesn't destroy them. Fire roll: (1d100)[50] - Disruptors are damaged by fire. Fire spreads to the gellar fields.
    Guns: (1d100)[42] - 2 hits
    (1d10+2)[7](1d10+2)[6](1d10+2)[5] - saved by armour
    Disruptors: (1d100)[10]
    (1d10+1)[10](1d10+1)[4](1d10+1)[7]

The Fury also needs to put out fire: They'll roll Put Your Backs Into It to try and get a bonus: (1d100)[64] - failed
    And then roll for fire suppression: (1d100)[49] - failed. Stygies cannons damaged. Fire spreads to the Brig. You didn't transfer any of your refugees there, did you?
    Some rolls for Crew/Morale loss: (1d5)[2](1d5)[3]
    (1d10)[5](1d10)[5]

Either way, they shoot the frigate. The Stygies cannons only shoot if the fire gets put out:
    Stygies: (1d100)[94]
    (1d10+2)[7](1d10+2)[10](1d10+2)[8]

Meltas: (1d100)[31] - 3 hits
    (1d10+4)[13](1d10+4)[14](1d10+4)[14] oh man, Elena is angry. 9 damage after armour and void shields. That's a hull breach. Rolled 4 for components. Elena picks the lance, the guns, the plasma drive, and the void shields.

Lance, guns, and void shields are damaged and depressurised. Drives are destroyed. The firestorm has no power, nor the ability to fix itself.

If the Frigate is not destroyed, it shoots back:
    Lasers: (1d100)[40]
    (1d10+2)[9](1d10+2)[12](1d10+2)[8]
    Lance: (1d100)[26]
    (1d10+4)[14]
    - no guns, no power. Can't shoot.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-21 at 05:53 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ravia is aboard Torgan's Pride, right? She should be able to pull of an action per turn to help him out with manoeuvring, detecting or shooting.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

She is, yes. She could also help repair his void shields.

Also, rolls for crew damage to the raider: (7d5)[20]
    Morale: (7d5)[17]

They hadn't been hurt yet, so they're still at 80 remaining crew. You get a bonus now, though, which makes your tests even easier.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-22 at 06:30 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

I had looked and wasn't sure if there was anything i could do at the time

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

Tech use to Repair Shields? (d100)[14] TN 83 (unless there is another modifier)

Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Good choice. Emergency Repairs is a -10 Tech Use test to repair a damaged component faster. Now that Torgan is "airborne", he could probably also benefit from Aid the Machine Spirit to boost Manoeuvrability or a Flank Speed to move faster.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, with Ravia's help, Torgan's shields go back online.

Here's a Command roll for the ship being boarded: (1d100)[29] - pass, but not by enough to beat Macharius. *rolls* 8 damage to crew.

Torgan's going to try to retreat a bit, firing as he goes. He can't use his missiles this round.
    (1d100)[18] - that's a hit
    (1d10+1)[6](1d10+1)[6](1d10+1)[6] - but not good enough to do anything

The Shrike has to roll to put out the fire: (1d100)[62] - failed. Fire spreads to void shields.
    And is still trying to shoot Torgan. (1d100)[51] - hit
    (1d10+2)[8](1d10+2)[3](1d10+2)[12] - no damage
    Spoiler: GM secrets
    Show
    Need to track crew/morale for this thing. It's going to start taking penalties.
    Was at Crew 83/Morale 83 and then the fire happened.

Crew: 67
    Morale: 52

The Fury elects to vent the brig instead of rolling. They take some morale damage. (2d10)[13]

They also give chase to the Shrike. They'll roll to repair their Stygies cannons: (1d100)[5] - hot damn. Stygies are back online.
    and fire the meltacannons: (1d100)[17] - Emperor's Teeth. Another critical hit.
    (1d10+4)[5](1d10+4)[5](1d10+4)[12] Voids cancel one. Bad damage rolls. Takes 1 point of automatic damage, and Elena sets their guns on fire.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-24 at 03:44 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Dammit Elena! Stop setting all our prizes on fire!