New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default The Undying Monster

Wealth flows into the city of Baldur’s Gate like water. As the rich luxuriate in their mansions atop the bluff and artisans ply their trades on the steep streets, masses of poor laborers swell the slums. Money and power beget political scandal, religious fervor, crime . . . and murder. No one feels safe on the rain-darkened streets. Strange, foreign gods are beseeched in secret shrines. The city is rife with corruption. And through it all, the body count keeps rising.

Spoiler: The Wanderer's Guide to Baldur's Gate
    Show

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    Baldur's Gate is ruled by the Council of Four that consist of dukes who vote among themselves on matters of law and policy for the city. One duke is appointed the title of Grand Duke, who is empowered to break ties when the council is deadlocked.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show

Patron Deities: Gond, Tymora, Umberlee
    Major Shrines: Ilmater, Lathander, Oghma, Helm

Spoiler: Military
    Show
    The Flaming Fist mercenaries act as the city's defacto military as well as the police force of the Lower City, while the Upper City is guarded by the Watch.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The adventure begins! Time for you to describe your character and introduce yourself.

I will put little notes at the bottom of some posts to clarify what I need and what I expect. Any information that is not part of the flow of the game will be presented like this
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-02-25 at 05:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Undying Monster

A noise roused Hemsin from his sleep. Rolling over in the cot, he sat up to see Amada, the half-orc barmaid, putting her clothes on. Coughing a bit, he asked her Leaving before breakfast?" he said, his voice rough and raspy. He had spent the night drinking at the pub she worked at and she accompanied home, more than half out of pity.
    "It doesn't look like you have anything that isn't moldering or even fit for goblin consumption, so no." as she paused from clothing herself as she looked around with more than a bit of disgust before continuing.
    "Come'on, lets grab something somewhere. If nothing else, we can hit the market and grab something." he said as he rolled out of the cot, running his hand through medium hair blond hair, trying to push it behind his ears, which proved to show his elven heritage. Pulling on up his pants and pulling his shirt over his head, he undid the work he had done just moments before.
    "No, I have somewhere else to be. Maybe you will stop by tonight and see me?" Amada said as she walked over and gave him a quick kiss on his forehead. "Or not. You choose, you're a big boy." With that she walked out the door, shutting it quietly.
    Hemsin sat there for a few minutes pondering what to do. With a heavy sigh, he finshed dressing, grabbing a few items and putting in his pockets before walking and locking the door.
    Walking down to the market, he picked up a couple of meat pies and a wedge of cheese. Moving his was slowly to his office, he meandered a bit instead of going straight there, stopping by a few of his contacts on the street to see if they had any tips on his couple of open jobs. No one did, so he went to his office.
    Unlocking the door, he checked out the backroom, but there wasn't anything to drink but water. Going back to his desk, he sat heavily with a sigh. Eating one of the pies and wolfing down the cheese, a strong smelling soft cheese that he hadn't had before and probably wouldn't again, he paused to drink some of the water as he thought about getting up and getting some wine from a vendor. Deciding that he wasn't that motivated today, he leaned back as he closed his eyes, letting the headache that was slowly building drain away. Reaching under his desk to the hidden slot, he pulled out his notes and went over them. He would have to make it down to the business district to follow the gem merchant, Axel Glimmersheen, and find out what he was going afterhours today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leaving it open from here.

3. - Top - End - #3

There is a knock on the door, and without waiting the door is opened. A young male gnome is standing outside. He wears simple commoner clothing, and has no visible weapons.

"Is this the right place for the finder? You find things? I need something found? Find for money? Right? You can help? Yes?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Were you thinking of like a two room apartment/bedroom and an office....or more living in your office sort of thing.

And where to do see the him living? Something like the second floor over a business of some sort? Or even the second floor room above a small warehouse?
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-02-27 at 11:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The bulky elf, at the knock, looks darkly at the door for a moment and begins to stand as the door swings open. He stops halfway to standing and looks at the person, a gnome, wondering for a moment.
    "Ah... yes, I am a... finder. Please, come in and have a seat." he says as he finishes standing and extends his hand to the youngster. It wasn't the first time he had met a potential client that was out of sorts due to the delicate nature of the case.
    "My name is Hemsin." he says as the gnome sits on the other chair in the room and he crosses the room and shuts the door after a quick look down the hall to the stairs.
    "And I am quite competent and finding people and... things. Tell me what you're looking for, where you last saw it, who might want it... anything that will help me out." with a smile, possibly a little less than genuine as his head still throbbed a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

Picturing a two room apartment above a business. The backroom would be his room/living area, preferably with a means of escape, and the front serving as his office. A small desk with a view of the hallway along with a couple of chairs, one for him and one for his potential client.

5. - Top - End - #5

The gnome walks in, his eyes mostly on the floor, until he gets to the empty chair and sits down. Only then does he look up.

Gerdol Longbottom " Gerdol Longbottom. I need a Finder. My pops, just passed to the Golden Hills. And, see, he had this bank. Like about a foot high, made of copper and gold, with a treasure chest and a gnome. An it's wee bit magic mecho, give it a twist and the little gnome will put a coin in the chest. Me and my two brothers, Davlop and Zenbaos, made it for my dad for his big Life Gift present years ago. And now with dad gone, everything goes to me, as I'm the oldest brother. But the bank is gone. I know it was one of my brothers, I need you to find who and get back my bank. "

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin, as the gnome sits, moves around his desk and eases himself into his chair. He watches the gnome as he speaks, noting any facial twitches as he pulls out a sheaf of paper and a bit of coal to write. He blanches a bit at the mention of the brothers. Family matters were always a sordid mess, but it usually meant a few more coins in his pocket.
    "I am sorry for your loss, Mr. Longbottom. As far as the matter of the chest, I am the finder for you. Do you think it could have been one or both of your brothers? Are Davlop and Zenbaos married or have any kids? Where do your brothers live and work? What was your father's name? Where did your father live and where was the last time and place you or anyone you know saw the chest?" he asked as he kept one eye on the paper and the other watching Gerdol for a reaction.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive to check his reaction and look to see if he is on the up-and-up
    (1d20+10)[22]

Knowledge:Local to see if he has heard of any of the Longbottoms
    (1d20+9)[21]

7. - Top - End - #7

Gerdol Longbottom "Ah, well, yes, like I said, I know it had to be one of them. I'm the oldest, so I get all my fathers stuff, and I know they both wanted it.

Yea, we all have Life Partners and Gnomelings, we are a big family. Well, we all live in the Gnome Quarter, Gnome Gate. Me and Davlop are on Wheel Street, Zenbaos is over on Short Run. I have my own shop, I'm a whitesmith. Davlop is a tinker, he works out of his home door to door. Zenbaos is a fish catcher, he works on one of them little fishing boats that go out every morning.

Orladam Longbottom was my pops name. He lived on Wheel Street too, with my ma, of course. We sold the house at the Passing, of course, so now my ma lives with my family.

My pa kept the bank in his study. It was still there the day of my pas Passing, I saw it. But the next day, when we all went to clean out the house and move my ma, it was gone. That was two days ago.

So, do all these questions mean you will find it for me? Like I'd hire you? How much will that cost? "

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show

Gerdol Longbottom is being honest and telling the truth.

Spoiler: Knowledge:Local
    Show

The Longbottoms are a local gnome family that have lived in the city for generations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin sat back as he pondered the question, rubbing his hairless chin.
    "Look, I'll be honest with you. I understand and appreciate what you're going though. I do. But, these family matters never go the way you might think. On top of that, they tend to get messy, especially for you.
    Brothers and other family members aren't going to like me prying and are not going to like you thinking they may have been the thief. Just being plain with you. I want to help but I want to make sure you know what your getting into."
    He says with a firm but compassionate voice. "If your still committed, I charge 1 gold per day, preferring a Dragon or Lion, plus expenses with 1 week minimum pay up front. Depending on how deep this goes, should have an answer in a fortnight or so." he says as he picks up his coal and make some notes based on Gerdol's comments about his family. "Besides your brothers, who else would know about this bank your father had??

9. - Top - End - #9

Gerdol Longbottom "I can handle messy, this is important.

Ah, I can cover the cost.

Well, my whole family knows about the bank, of course. And, well, it was a Big Life Gift present, so guess there were like a bunch a people at that party. And it was in my pas study, and he was proud of it, so sure all his friends knew about it. So, a lot of people, I guess. "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin nods his head. "Alright, it would seem we have an agreement then, Mr. Longbottom." He pulls out a standard form, fills in the relevant information and slides it over to Gerdol. Once signed, he puts it into his shirt pocket. "Alright, I can start in the morning. Probably check on the fisherman, first, as he'll be upbright and early. Do some asking around tonight, see what the locals might have picked up on rumors. I'll get you back to you once I have more information. Any questions?" he asked with pursed lips.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gerdol Longbottom looks over the form and signs it. then he pulls out a small coin pouch and counts out ten gold coins.

Spoiler: Calendar
    Show

The Forgotten Realms uses the ten day weeks. With special days in no months.

Gerdol Longbottom "No questions. Let me know as soon as you find out something, or find the bank."

Gerdol Longbottom then gets up and leaves out the door.
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-03-04 at 10:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin is about to stand but his new client rushes out the door before he can see him out. He just waves and mumbles something as the door shuts.
    Sitting back in the chair heavily, he leans back as he rubs his temples for a moment thinking. While still early in the morning he felt like he was behind. He had to get finished with the Glimmersheen case and he could talk to his contacts about the Longbottom brothers, see if any of them were into money to any of the loans sharks, had any gambling problems or seen them in any of the houses of ill-repute. His guess was they owed someone something but until he got to the bottom of it. Usually something bubbled up to the surface... everyone had secrets, even if they didn't realize it themselves. Making some more notes, he dusted the page with a bit of fine sand before slipping them into hidden compartment and closing it up.

Once he was free, he moved back down to the street. To the casual observer, it looked as if he meandered about the city at random, nodding here and there while only speaking to a few individuals.
    In truth, the head movement was communication to his snitches, who were telling him they had nothing to give at the moment, so as not to have any more contact than was necessary. Keeping his contacts hidden was paramount in his business, especially for certain clients.
    Coming up pretty much empty, he made his way to the Blushing Mermaid. Nodding to the doorman, he entered and went to the bar. He looks around at the various clientelle, trying to get a line on Glimmersheen. When that goes nowhere, he begins to casually ask about the Longbottom brothers...

13. - Top - End - #13

The Blushing Mermaid is full of all sorts of folk, as always, with many coming and going at all hours.

There is not much talked about Longbottom Family Gossip, other then Orladam Longbottom passed away recently.

There is a lot more talk about the Shaugain attack in the harbor just this morning. They got on a merchant ship and ransacked it, but oddly only killed the crew members that attacked them or got in their way. It's very odd, but not unheard of, for a ship to be attacked in the harbor.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Shaugain, eh? Seems odd." he says to the speaker. "Never heard of them attacking in the harbor. What ship was it?" as he leans back against the bar.

15. - Top - End - #15

Rolf Bonebreaker half orc male, tells more of his tale "The ship was the Dark Dolphin, a fancy courier vessel out of Amn.

And it's not like shauagain have never attacked a ship in the harbor, but it has been years. "

Gneiss Copperpot, gnome male, "The coming of the sea devils was a sign of Lagri Firekeeper, that dwarf prophet. He said it would happen, even got the week right. "

Gakhan Nightbringer human male "Stab his eyes, Lagri is a dwarf profit, haw haw"

Rolf Bonebreaker "The Dark Dolphin had plenty of folk with coins on board. But it seems the shaugin were not looking for money. Though, by dark, I'm sure they got their claws on something of value."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Kn:Local on the Dark Dolphin
    (1d20+9)[29]

Kn:Local on the Lagri Firekeeper
    (1d20+9)[15]
    Whether or not Hemsin knows about Lagri Firekeeper, he is going to play it like he doesn't.

"I seem to remember something about those sea-beasts doing something like that before." Hemsin says as he addresses the half orc. "Seemed strange back then. Especially odd since they weren't out for any loot, but they do things for their own reasons. Maybe they were looking for one of them high fallutin' women as a bride?" he ends with a joke and nod to Rolf.
    Turning his attention to Gneiss and Gakhan he says "Never heard of him. Think he might be in league with these creatures or that he really had some kind of vision or something? Seem odd either way."

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

The Dark Dolphin is a pleasure ship transport for rich folks and runs up and down the coast. Known for arranged meetings and affairs: ''What happens on the dolphin stays on the dolphin". It's an open secret, but still not known to everyone. Owned and operated by Nanay Manaq'anra.

Lagri Firekeeper-older dwarf cook, runs a stall in the market of cooked meats. One the side, he also sees the future...for a price. He has been right sometimes, but many dwarves think of him as a prophet after he saw and forewarned of a coming infliction of zombie arse in the dwarven community and saved many lives.

Gneiss Copperpot "Lagri is not in league with the sea devils. He sees the future. He mentions the sea dark often, and even said the sea devils would attack here soon. And he was right...again....they did."

Gakhan Nightbringer "It's just a guess. You can't see the future. Saying 'oh when it's dark shauagin will attack a ship' is a guess. And then sure, it will happen eventually and he will say he was right."

Rolf Bonebreaker "Well, we don't have to worry about no sea devils. The Fist will take care of them."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I appreciate it, lads." Hemsin says as he finishes off his drink. "I'd stay and buy you another round, but gots me work to do, if you catch my drift.
    Maybe, if I can find where this Lagri is, perhaps I'll bring him back here for a drink so he can read my palm or card, eh?"
    he says with an friendly elbow to Gakhan as he makes his way towards the door. "If not, maybe we can tell each other stories of the sea while trying to drain the places kegs dry, eh?" With a nod to the three, he walks out the door, giving himself a tipsy walk as he nods to the doorman and ambles down the street.
    <Maybe I can talk to Lagri and see if he does have the gift. If he help with either of these cases, maybe we can come up with an arrangment?> he thinks to himself as he continues to exxagerate his walk, putting his hand up against the wall as if to steady himself while really checking to see if he was being followed. It wouldn't be the first time some seemingly insignificant case, in his eyes, caused his quarry to hire some muscle to tell him find another case. While he usually gave as good as he got, he had had enough with bruises and broken bones so he took asking questions serious every time and made sure he was cornered and outnumbered to the best of his ability. Better to sock the money away than use it to pay the local priest to fix him.
    Convinced after a few blocks he wasn't being followed, he resumed his walk. <Wouldn't be the worst idea and another resource is alwasy welcome. Need to get to the market before it close> and with that, he picked up his pace a bit as he planned out his evening in his head while making his way to Lagri's stall to see if he was still there.

19. - Top - End - #19

The open market, better known as The Wide is only a short walk away. It bustles by day and night, and is usually open spacewise only in the sense that there are no buildings. Temporary stalls, bins, sale tables, and the shoppers thronging to them usually crowd shoulder to shoulder. Deliveries here are often made by tall, strong folk striding through the crowds with tall poles strapped to their chests or backs at the top of which, over an adult human’s height aloft, are cribs and crates full of goods. Prices are lower here than elsewhere in the Gate, but business is apt to be sharper. Among the more common are vendors of silks, scarves, tobacco, and spices from the farthest reaches of the Shining South.

Food is plentiful in the Wide, of all types, though a lot of seafood. It does not take long to find a wooden stall with the name 'Firekeeper Foods', with a large fire going inside some stacked stones. An older male dwarf with once red, but now more gray hair sits on a stump next to the stall, talking to an audience of folks that are all eating meats on sticks from the stall.

Lagri Firekeeper "...in a kitchen, with silver pots and pans. That was when something changed. All of a sudden, things grew dark and zombies appeared to stumble through the open windows and doors. I ran from the cold ones, of course, and stopped to rest right in front of a giant oak tree, during which I rested against the side of the tree. I realized, somehow, that the tree was actually a house for a witch, from whom we hoped to obtain guidance from. I clambered down the stair into her subterranean home and there sat down, discussing how we could avoid this zombie/monster horde.

Then she became an evil malevolent monster,an aboleth , and she let the horde into her home, trapping us underground, between her and her minions. We ran in vain through the tunnels that under lied her home, and kept on running and running and running....and then I woke up with a start."

The crowd gasps and claps at the story.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin, when he catches the dwarf 'weaving' his story, grabs a piece of roasted pork on a stick and stands in the back, slowly savoring the meat while listening. He continues to hang back once the story is over and waits while the crowd begins to disappate, watching for anyone who might... feel out of the ordinary or might be keeping a watch on Lagri.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check
    (1d20+12)[25]

Once the crowd has properly dispersed and he is convinced that dwarf doesn't have any unwanted watchers, he walks up the to the dwarf.
    "That is quite the tale. I heard you wove a similar tale regarding those seadwelling Shaugain attacking in the harbor and, low and behold, the Dark Dolphin incurred their wrath. Seems a strange coincidence,
    don't you think? Was the witch tale you spoke of for fancy or was it a warning like the Dark Dolphin?"
    he asks in a friendly way.

21. - Top - End - #21

The crowd slowly breaks up, with most people saying thanks to Lagri...and a couple even toss him a couple coins.

Though one person does hang around. A young human female with pale skin and long dark hair. She wears a somewhat fancy yellow robe with embroidered bright purple octopuses on it. She sits on a small stool, of to the side, writing on a scroll....but also constantly looking up to watch Lagri.

Spoiler: Question
    Show

Did you still want to approach Lagri while being watched? Or retcon that?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin, making a mental note of the girl, continues his conversation with Lagri.

Spoiler
    Show

Will continue to talk with Lagri.
    Will try to keep an eye on the girl without being obvious. Not sure if you want a roll for that that and what it would be.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lagri Firekeeper looks over casually "It's no coin-a-dance. What I see is real. They say I'm a prophet, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. I got a gift, mine you. I can see sights unseen. But make what you will of it."

The young human female sits in place writing on her scroll, looking up and over at Lagri every minute or so.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin rubs his chin for a moment, taking in the dwarf's remarks. "So, I take it this attack on the Dolphin wasn't your first vision, eh? If you don't mind me asking, have you seen other things like this in the past?" he asks as he begins priming Lagri for help on his cases. If his visions were real, either through magic or prophesy, perhaps they could both profit from an arrangement?

25. - Top - End - #25

Lagri Firekeeper "Aye, I have gotten my visions for years. Ever after my accident. When my beard was a bit shorter I was a miner. One day the tunnel collapsed on us. I was trapped in the rubble for three days and in a deep sleep. And when I did wake up later, I started to have my visions. Dumathoin, my god, that is where my visions come from.

But, in case you are wondering....they are not always so accurate."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin blinks twice in quick succession. <I hope the rocks falling didn't crack his mind. Am I making a good choice, here?> he thinks to himself as he struggles to keep a straight face.
    Changing the subject, he says "Well, it would seem that being a meat merchant is a bit more profitable than being a prophet." he says with a wink and a smile. "But, that doesn't have to be the case. You see, I used to be an officer in the guard here and, well, I didn't like the sloppyness and corruption I was seeing, so I decided to strike out on my own, you see. Good at it, too, but everyone can always use some help." Drumming his fingers on his thighs, he thinks for a moment. "Tell you what. You have a couple of hours left of sunlight. You can close early or I can wait until your day is done, but afterwards why don't we get a meal and a drink, on me, while we continue this discussion further?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Lagri Firekeeper "Well, sure, if your buying. I can always use a good, free, meal and drink. Just give me a couple hours to close up. Meat you back here at six bells? Ha ha, meat, get it...."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good. I have some items I have to pick up in the market. I'll swing back and and get you in a couple of hours." Hemsin then gives a small nod as he make his way throught the crowd, opposite the girl without giving a second look. He meanders throught the market, disappearing from view fairly quickly. Once out of view, he waits about 5 minutes before he circles around and finds a spot where he can see the girl but the market provides quite a bit of cover from behind her view.

Spoiler
    Show

Hemsin will move about as if shopping, even buying a few small things, but he is going to keep moving, maybe buy a scarf or something similar if available to change is his look, but keep an eye on the girl and Lagri. If he can, he will try to ask people he knows and 'trusts' about her.

Hide
    (1d20+10)[22]

Gather information
    (1d20+11)[17]

29. - Top - End - #29

Each of your trusted contacts says that they have seen the young woman at the Wide everyday, always sitting by Lagri Firekeeper with her scroll out. She does nothing to draw attention to herself.

Lagri Firekeeper does a bit of business the rest of the day, that picks up a bit when he does his half off sale right before closing. Then he gathers his things and leaves the Wide.

The young woman gets up to stretch a couple times and does walk around a bit, but never goes too far from Lagri's stall. Though mostly she just sits on her stool. She stays until Lagri leaves, then she gets up and heads away too in a different direction.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, must have read it and went to work. It didn't pop on on my unread.

Hemsin watches the woman for a bit as he decides what to do. Feeling a bit dangerous, he decides to tail the girl, figuring he can catch up to Lagri, or, at least, apologize to him.
    Keeping to cover and trying not to look like he is tailing the girl, he follows her trail at a distance, moving slowly if it looks like she is looking back and rushing forward when she turns a corner, keeping her just in view.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+12)[30]
    Move Silently
    (1d20+3)[22]