New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61

Default Re: The Undying Monster

Talkative elf that has had a few drinks "Yes, we are shipmates. Or we were. We don't have a ship any more. Any chance you are a sea captain looking for a crew of fine fair folk? Or maybe you know one?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at he commoner clothing, he smiles back a the sailor. "Ah, no. Just trying to make my way in the world is all. Maybe buy me an establishment such as this some day.
    If I were a captain, I'd hire the lot of ya. But, as it is, barely make ends meet. Wait... you were all on the same ship but not anymore?!?! What happened?"
    Hemsin says with a look of shock on his face as he moves to sit closer with the group.

3. - Top - End - #63

Talkative elf that has had a few drinks "By all the Tall Trees...I have no idea.

A Moon ago we were all hired as crew. The same way many of us have done before. Wait in Myrrdale, get hired onto a ship, travel up and down the coast for a season, then back to Myrrdale.

But we get here, just pull into port, and our noble patron tells us we are dismissed and no longer needed. And here we are. "

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, sounds like a lowlife if I ever heard one. Merchant? Did he lose his cool or his gold? What was he trading?"

Once he gets an answer out of the elf, he extends his hand. Hemsin. Hemsin Al'Athuin. What be your name? Well, I know a few merchants and captains. See what I can do for you guys. Seem a decent lot. Speaking of which, what as your old captains name? Do you think he would be putting a bad word out on the lot of ya? "

5. - Top - End - #65

Nulys Amahar "I'm Nulys Amahar, deckhand and cook. Our former captain was Adessa Wealthwood, she is a noble merchant. She did not give us any reason, and we did not ask. It is not our way to wonder about such things. And in turn, she should not speak against us. "

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, its a rough situation, whatever the cause. I wish you and your friends the best. It is good that, again, whatever the cause, that each group can walk away without hard feeling towards each other." Taking the last of his drink, he feels in his left pocket where he knows how many coins he has. Pulling out a few coins, he says "Can't buy enough for your whole crew, but how about another one on me before I head home?" as he signals the bartender.

7. - Top - End - #67

Nulys Amahar "Yes, please."

Another elf sailor comes over,

Nulys Amahar "Yes, Inchel?"

Inchel Eilneiros "Nulys, I do not wish to interrupt, but there has been an incident. Tsarra was attacked."

Nulys Amahar "What? Here? Now? Is she alright?"

Inchel Eilneiros "She is hurt, but otherwise fine,"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin stands up as he hears of the news. "Do you need to go to your friend, Nulys? Perhaps I can help out?" he says with real sincerity.

9. - Top - End - #69

Nulys Amahar "Of course, if you can help. "

Inchel Eilneiros leads the two of you outside, and around the back of the tavern where four other elves are grouped around a female elf who is sitting on a barrel. She looks slightly wounded, with some still not dried blood.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin follows Nulys and Inchel to where the elven maiden is. Kneeling besides her, he says "Don't worry, I don't seek advantage from you." as he touches her on her forehead while invoking the magic of his belt.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using 1 charge off the healing belt.
    (2d8)[4]

Seeing the wounds begin to close, he continues. "I am Hemsin... did you see who did this to you?
    Can you describe them? Was it one or more? Did they say anything to you? Do you know why the left you here and which way they went?"
    and with the last, he looks at the others, to see if they will make any kind of pursuit as he lets her answer while looking around for any clues that might lead back to her attacker.

Spoiler
    Show

Searching as best he can with everyone milling about, using the Investigate feat.
    (1d20+16)[35]

11. - Top - End - #71

Tsarra Alfrghymn "Tsarra Alfrghymn of Starsinger of Sehanine Moonbow, navigator by pursuit.

What attacked me, was a thing, a monster. An aberration for sure, an unnatural thing. Some horrid combination of octopus and wolf I think.

But it was not alone. It had a human handler directing it. A human with a black silk domino mask and a dagger....and a cruel laugh. His clothing was all back and made of silk.

I escaped with my magic....they could not follow. I know not where they are now."

The elfs around are watchful, but no one is making any move out of the area.

Tsarra Alfrghymn's few remaining wounds close as you touch her. Her torn clothing has bite marks. You don't see much else of notice with everyone about contaminating the area.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Where did... it attack you? Did this man say anything to you? How far away from here did it happen?" he said as he reaches a hand down to help her up, while looking at the sailors. Probably no hope of finding any tracks now, let alone actually getting a hold of this oddly dressed man.
    Looking back at Nulys he says "We should get her inside. Not sure if your boys can fan out, but if they do, they should go in at least pairs if not three together."
    Once back in the Lands End, he looks at Tsarra. "Do you have any idea why this human attacked you?"

13. - Top - End - #73

Tsarra Alfrghymn "Just over there down the shore line. He did not say anything I remember, but he was laughing a lot.

The elven sailors break into groups to wander off. Nulys Amahar takes them aside to speak with them.

Tsarra Alfrghymn "I have no idea. I've only been in this city a couple hours...not even a day. I have never done anything to anyone. I'm just a navigator. "

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"I take it that it was a crazed laugh rather than one from a good joke? What magic did you use to escape?" he asks as he watches Nulys speak to the sailors.
    Inside the Land's End, he nods to the waitress as he mutters "Mulled wine if you got it, eh?" as he sits Tsarra down. "Well, your safe now, here.
    I'll be right back."
    Once outside, he moves to the spot where she had pointed near the shore, his sharp eyes like gems in the night as he scans for any tracks or clues that could help.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if you want a reroll on the Search but if so, here it is, using the Investigate feat.
    (1d20+16)[20]

15. - Top - End - #75

Tsarra Alfrghymn "I just remember the laughter. The magic was aquatic escape, I became a wave of water for a short time.

The waitress nods and brings over a cup of mulled wine.

Down the shore is the attack sight...a mix of the small elven tracks, the larger human ones, and the lines made by tentacles. They moved right forward and attacked.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Once he has had a chance to review the tracks and gather what he could, Hemsin finds the sailors and has them meet back at the Land's End.

When everyone back he addresses the group. "Look, I think you should take this to the watch. If some madman with some aberration is running around attack innocents... well, it's not good for anyone. But,..." he says as he looks at Tsarra .."it depends on you to give your story to the guard. Will you do it?" he asks with a monotone voice, trying not to sway her as years of training come back up.

17. - Top - End - #77

Tsarra Alfrghymn "I don't think talking to the...human..watch is a good idea. Humans don't care about elves. For all the openness, this is still a human city.

As, I did nothing...maybe this was just a random attack. Humans do that sort of thing.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin scrutinizes the elf maiden for a few moments before shrugging his shoulders. "The choice is yours. Yes, this is a human city but I doubt they will like some madman with a creature such as this terrorizing its citizens. I could be wrong, I've been so before, but I don't think so this time." he watches here a few moments longer before continuing. "Do you have somewhere safe to stay the night? What about the rest of you?" he says as he includes all the sailors.

19. - Top - End - #79

Tsarra Alfrghymn "No. Under more normal circumstances we would all sleep on the boat. We are all sailors and the sea is in your blood. " She says with a shrug.

Nulys Amahar "We do intend to stay together."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Well..." Hemsin starts and stalls, rubbing his chin, as he tries to be a bit diplomatic but decides the sailors would prefer to hear it straight "... since you are all without ship, where do you plan on spending the night? Not here? Not on the streets? The guard will pick the lot of you up. Be down a few more coin once you're before the magistrate and you'll be lucky to get a hot meal and a cot for your trouble." with slight irritation in his voice. He knew other sailors and realized that this was the way they lived, but it irritated him nonetheless.

21. - Top - End - #81

Nulys Amahar "We don't intend to stay in the city for the night. We are fine with sleeping outdoors. We would after all, sleep on the deck of the ship. " says with a slight shrug.

Tsarra Alfrghymn "After the attack, we might be better leaving the city anyways. "

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"Outdoors, like in a park or the street? Or, outdoors, like outside the city?" Hemsin says, a bit dismayed by the former.
    Once they respond, Hemsin says "Look, like you said, this is a human city and we are all elves. I don't feel comfortable with all of this. It could be some human... or human preying on our kind. I don't take kindly to that at all. You guys will do your thing, and I respect that, but I'd like to keep up with you, if you're still in Baldur's Gate. Feel free to look me up." with that , he gives them his address.

Spoiler
    Show

Where is his office in the city?

23. - Top - End - #83

Nulys Amahar "Definitely outside the city. We know humans don't get the whole sleeping in parks idea. "

Tsarra Alfrghymn "We will keep in touch. Always good to know one of the People here.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Where ever you wanted it to be?

The second story level of a warehouse or shop?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, of course. If you need a friend, let me now. I take it you will seek work or passage back to Myrrdale? If I can't convince you otherwise, then I'll take my leave. Good night and take care. Seek me out in need or in friendship." he says with a small nod of his head before heading back to his apartment. He kept to the busier, well lit streets as he made his way back, double back in a couple of spots to see if he was being followed, before moving back down to the Docks West to the West Gate. Checking through his apartment to see if it's clear, he locks the door and fall into a heavy sleep.

Spoiler
    Show

I figure he's somewhere in the Westland Gate.
    Not quite the slums, not the docks, but definitely not in the Merchants Quarter.
    This is the map I'm using, unless you have an issue with it or have something else you can point me to.

25. - Top - End - #85

Nulys Amahar "Of course, we are sailors. We will find a ship that needs a crew soon enough. But thanks for your help. "

Tsarra Alfrghymn "We should be in the area at least a day or so, maybe we will meet again."

The streets have the normal amount of foot traffic for the night, but no one is following or noticing you at all.

Show

It's an odd map...that somehow does not have the normal landmarks(where is the Wide or the SeaTower?) but it's fine.

Did you still figure the second story of something?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Waking up in the morning, Hemsin goes out to relieve himself before coming back up with a bucket of cold water to clean himself up.
    He pondered what happened the night before as he pushed the fog of sleep back. He sat at the edge of his bed, thinking. In his head, something didn't add up but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He couldn't tell if the drink was enough to muddle him or if was just tired from restless sleeping.
    It was early but he couldn't tell what time and hadn't heard the bells rung, that he can remember, so he dressed quickly as he made his way down to Davlop's shop to see if he was up to anything suspicious.

Spoiler
    Show

Yup, upstairs above some other business is perfect. I was just wondering which district.

27. - Top - End - #87

As you walk into the street, notice a single city guardsman leaning against the wall of your building. He quickly gets up and approaches as you walk out the door.

Tarith Cottingley "Hail there Hemsin...it's me Tarith Cottingley. You look good..I mean well. Guess private life is good for you. I mean...well...you were not attacked last night....were you?"

Tarith is a typical human male guards man, tall and strong, with a full beard and weather beaten skin.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Hemsin, seeing the movement, stops and turns to Tarith Cottingley before realizing. "Hail, Tarith." he says with a smile that he manages to keep as the guardsman speaks.
    "Ah, there are good days and there are bad. Being on the other side of the fence has it's perks, like waking up when you want and such, but its a lot of cold and hungery hours searching things out." he says with a genuine, self-deprecating laugh. "My choices were mine and I wouldn't make'em differently, but it was sure nice knowing those coins came in at a steady pace. Now, not so much." with a shake of his head as he tries to keep his distance without seeming to. "What? Me, no. No action for me, must have gotten a bad rumor Tarith. Actually took the night off, not much in the way of business right now. Say, you know of anyone you or your men couldn't help because it wasn't in your purview but could use an investigator like me? Like I said, business is pretty thin right now and I could use something to pass the time rather than waiting for business to come in the door."

Spoiler
    Show

What does Hemsin remember of Tarith? Straight and on the up and up or was he on any criminals payrolls that he knew of? A oddities and such?
    Any rolls necessary?

29. - Top - End - #89

Tarith Cottingley "Well, that is all good. At least you did not get attacked. A lot of elves did last night. It's a mystery. I was kind of hoping, that you being an elf and all, might know something to help the investigation."

Show

Tarith Cottingley is a very by the book sort of guard. He keeps to himself, and never sees anything happening. He was never involved with anything shady, as far as you know. Though he never gets any medals or promotions as he just does the basic job.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Really? All over the city or in a specific quarter? High or low society? Tarith, if this gets out, the chief and the mayor could be in deep water. Not with just us elves and the half-elven, but anyone else who might think they are a target... Tell me what you can and I'll do what I can to help. Anything new I can help gather for you, I will." he says sincerely.