Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1530313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1260
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC

"Like you said, m'lady, some of 'em peeled off. These were just the ones that decided to go face to face with us. We need to work our way around the hull in squads to find the others. We also need surface sensors activated and as many servo-skulls as we can out here to scan for them. They could be bloody anywhere!"

OOC: Destro noted that 25 of the wreckers made it to the ship and that some of them went "somewhere out of sight". I don't believe we killed 25 of them just now, so we're going to need to go looking for them.

WP test (1d100)[34] vs. 47

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Nice timing, commander. I'm afraid I brought too few men to have fought them off alone. And maybe we should consider adding some heavy weapons teams to the marines? Simple grenade launchers would do for a start.
    'And bought in bulk if possible. We should try to be better prepared for things like that. Whatever they are.' It would be safer on balance to know what the wreckers were, especially if there were more of them out there. Anika is trying not to look at the star overhead for the moment.

To Hannabel, 'Maybe check the engines or the augers first. The sort of thing we really don't want to see damaged. If they're able to get inside I'm sure we'll hear about it.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Just in case Anika can get closer to a body will roll Forbiden Lore (Xenos) again
    vs. Int 53 (-10 for insanity)
    (1d100)[50]

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well - don't we have hull breach alarms? It's not like they can sneak on board.

But of course they could wait on the hull somewhere, and wait for some really inconvenient moment to start making trouble again. Like when their main force attacks.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"They don't need to get inside to cause trouble! If they decide they want augers for dinner, then we're going to be flying blind in short order! If they didn't like getting shot up by our turrets, then they can wreck those just fine without ever breaching an airlock. So NO, we can't sit around and wait. Lord Commander, sir, may I suggest that we divvy up your Praetorians between the marines and begin a sweep of the hull? Even just one meltagun per group is a big equalizer against these beasts!"

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

++Get me a sample of them and i will re-calibrate the sensors to pick up any trace if at all possible++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.

6. - Top - End - #1176

MindFlayer

Beneath his helmet, Macharius smiles at Anika's outrage. He bows elaborately. You know me too well, Lady Vanhal. Felidae is right- we need to look into equipping heavy weapon teams among the marines. I can't take all the glory, eh Anika?

No, Hannabel, the Praetorians are my bodyguard. They wouldn't be doing me much good if they were off gallivanting about, what? Besides, three of them were off-duty before this little sortie. Almagor, Flannery, Murphy, you can all go back to getting some sleep. I'll call if I decide to do any more thrilling void heroics. Marines, retrieve a sample of the foe for the Magos.

He switches to the command vox channel. I want all available sensors and servo-skulls searching, and marine patrols across the whole ship. If we have any fighters or shuttles ready, scramble them as well to search the ship's exterior. And quadruple the guard on all hangar bays and openings.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel stares incredulously at Macharius from behind her visor. When she finally speaks, one can almost hear her teeth grinding in disbelieving frustration.

"Sir? You want to go back inside and...sleep? Maybe a good third of the wreckers are still out there, doing Throne knows what to the Sting, and you're taking the only men we have with guns that are effective against the enemy back inside to sleep? You're sending our fighting men out to face these monsters again, with nothing but lasguns to their names, so that Flannery can get his beauty sleep???"

8. - Top - End - #1178

'Well ok' Anika splutters in response to Macharius. There was really no arguing with the man. Perhaps she could look into getting her own flunkies for these occasions. To Hannabel, 'Then we have one of them lend Felidae a bigger gun. I for one am staying out here as long as I can be useful. I certainly won't be able to rest with that thing overhead.'

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

A search of the immediate area turned up nothing. The marines saved what they could from the wreckers that had been killed before it drifted off into space, while the Praetorians followed Macharius' orders and went back inside. No hull breach alarms sounded, no components went suddenly and inexplicably out of service. Hannabel did find a number of places where it looked as though the wreckers had started cutting into the hull, but of the enemy themselves nothing could be found. It was as though they had melted away into space. Armed with a sample, Ravia calibrated the sensors to search for similar signatures, and found nothing in or around the hull. They were gone.

The ships pushed forwards, nearing the edge of the inner debris field. As they passed a large wreck, tumbling slowly overhead, the vox pinged. A transmission, crackling and garbled, came in above the whispers and background noise that had been plaguing the system since they entered the debris field.

"Unknown vessel, hailing unknown vessel. Do you read?" The voice sounded strained, its owner speaking quietly, and the comms officer turned up the gain a notch. "Please someone be there... request permission to board."
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ettin in the Playground

++No Trace++
    ++Hullghast Warp ghosts++
    ++Till Proven Otherwise++

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Well, as it stands, I propose keeping the praetorians in reserve to respond if and when these things rear their ugly heads again. Oh, and I need a jump pack. Emperor preserve us, it's like the requirements for gear upgrades just never ends.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-06-12 at 03:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182

Warp ghosts. Anika is not convinced.'They can still hurt us whatever they are.'

When she returns to the Sting's bridge she has been staying close to one of the viewing ports to better watch the star. On the vox signal, 'They speak gothic. Can we tell where the signal is coming from?.'

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel has been noticeably tight-lipped and on edge since returning to her station at the bridge, but when the transmission comes in she is quick to respond.

"I don't care if they're singing the Emperor's praises in purest High Gothic. As soon as we trace the transmission, I say we shoot to kill. This is almost certainly a trick or more warp ghosts messing with our minds."

14. - Top - End - #1184

MindFlayer

BEFORE

Macharius chuckles. Now, now, Hannabel. I appreciate your zeal, but that's not called for. Normally, only two of the Praetorians are on duty at any given time. If I want them guarding me round-the-clock, I need to give them some time to rest, don't I? The men aren't machines. Flannery and Almagor just finished a twelve-hour guard shift. If I'm going to do some other act of daring heroism that requires the whole squad I can rouse them, but only a foolish commander would march his elite guard to exhaustion doing routine search patrols.

And the others are going with me back to the command bridge, not to sleep. The ship is kilometers long. Searching it will take hours even with all the crew alert and all our resources. A general helps his men by commanding the entire theater of battle, not by picking up a lasgun and charging into the trenches. I will command and coordinate our efforts. If anything is found, I can respond to it quicker from in the ship than trudging over the outside.

Felidae, you should do the same. You're our best combatant, and you should be ready for rapid deployment to trouble zones, not wandering the hull and hoping that you stumble upon them.

I know you're angry at the attack, Mistress Shanx, and your devotion to the ship is one of the reasons I value you so highly, but I have to take the longer and broader view on this one.

__________________________________________________ __________

AFTER

Ghosts, eh? So our faith and devotion to the Immortal Emperor was our greatest weapon and armor all along!

He listens to the transmission. Let's get this sorted before we make any rash moves.

Absalom fleet to unidentified vessel, this is Lord-Captain Macharius Absalom. Identify yourselves immediately.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Agreed, Commander! Replies Felidae, snapping off a smart salute - battlefield training apparently kicking in, when in battle.

Turning to the tech priest, she continues: Magos Ravia - would it be possibly to fashion something akin to a boarding pike, using any suitable length of metal, and these wonderful plasma grenades? I know little of such things, but I'd dearly like to give our marines more of a fighting chance against these things.

Spoiler: Plasma boarding pike
    Show

Is technically cheating, I know - but I figured it was worth a try =)

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

++I will investigate, if the shabby horsemen of Tallaran can make a explosive pike then it shouldn't be too much issue to make a some along the same lines++

Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Macharius chuckles. Now, now, Hannabel. I appreciate your zeal, but that's not called for. Normally, only two of the Praetorians are on duty at any given time. If I want them guarding me round-the-clock, I need to give them some time to rest, don't I? The men aren't machines. Flannery and Almagor just finished a twelve-hour guard shift. If I'm going to do some other act of daring heroism that requires the whole squad I can rouse them, but only a foolish commander would march his elite guard to exhaustion doing routine search patrols.

I know you're angry at the attack, Mistress Shanx, and your devotion to the ship is one of the reasons I value you so highly, but I have to take the longer and broader view on this one.
    It's not just the Sting, you pompous popinjay! Hannabel rages silently. Those marines were our people and they died because they didn't have the right tools for the job. But you and your precious Praetorians do, and now you won't even give them the means to protect themselves because you think you need guarding round the clock??? Ain't no one on this ship has had it in for you before, but you keep this up and they will. As sure as the Emperor is stuck on his throne, they will...

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

"Lord-Captain! Thank the Emperor you showed up. I can explain everything, but I want to be somewhere safe first. If anywhere in this cursed system is safe." There was a pause, the vox crackling. "We're a small group. This lighter's not going to hold together much longer."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #1189

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "I don't care if they're singing the Emperor's praises in purest High Gothic. As soon as we trace the transmission, I say we shoot to kill. This is almost certainly a trick or more warp ghosts messing with our minds."
    'I don't disagree.' The signal eluded Anika's attempt to track it, which didn't make her any more likely to trust it. 'There's too much junk out here to see anything properly. Although I suppose if they meant to ambush us why let us know they're here first.'

The voice hadn't answered Macharius' question. She'll look again for anything that was small enough to plausibly be a lighter that was heading towards them.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling Scrutiny again if I can justify that with new information
    vs. Per 43 (+20 Detection) (-10 Insanity)
    (1d100)[24]

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ettin in the Playground

++Brings a new meaning to Light it up, setting fire to a lighter++

Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

There wasn't anything around that size that was moving with any sort of purpose. It was entirely possible the lighter was hidden within one of the nearby wrecks, though.

Perhaps sensing hesitation, the voice continued. "Look, if it helps, we're descendants of Umboldt's crew. The man who found this place. We just want to leave."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Wrath Umboldt?" Hannabel interjects with a start. "That was seventy years ago. How'd you manage to survive out here all that time?"

23. - Top - End - #1193

Anika would also like to hear that. Away from the vox, 'Sounds like a story. Assuming we trust them to be who they say they are.'

'If they are serious I can't fault their hardiness, but I would have to wonder about their state of mind.'

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

++Patch in the crew who we rescued and see if any of these names make sense to them++

Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

"Scavenging, mostly. Please. We'll have time for all of this if you let us come on board. The Hollow Men could be back any minute."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Hollow Men? You mean those wreckers we just fought? Tell you what, how about you tell us something useful about them and this place, and we'll consider letting you on board. Why don't you start with who or what they are?"

27. - Top - End - #1197

Anika rubbed her eyes. 'The Hollow Men? One of the Ancients used that term. Maybe they foresaw this place.' Nothing about that old text filled her with confidence.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

"It's more of a 'what.' The suits are empty, you can't really take one alive. They never talk even if you could. I'm not sure what drives them. Something about this place. They..." The voice stopped suddenly, dropping to a whisper. A few sensor blips had appeared on the auspex Ravia had set to track the wreckers, a small group moving out from the cover of a larger wreck and jetting towards one of the smaller hulks the tumbled through space nearby.

"Oh, frak. Oh frak, they're coming." A pleading note had entered the voice. "You have to help us. In the name of the Emperor!"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

29. - Top - End - #1199

'If we let them in and they create a problem, I'd like to think we're capable of dealing with it. If nothing else we can fight indoors.' Anika was not interested in going outside again in a hurry. 'But if we wanted to take precautions, do we have a shuttle bay we can lock down until we're confident no one has any ulterior motives.'

'Anything we can't fight off maybe doesn't need our help to get inside in the first place.'

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel curses volubly as the Hollow Men reappear. Her hand hovers over the com switch for a moment, emotions warring on her face, then she makes a decision. "You - ensign. Prepare the shuttle bay for an emergency landing and possible incoming hostiles. Felidae, sweetie, you want something to do? Get down to the shuttle bay with as many marines as you can pick up and get ready to welcome our guests."

Flipping the com switch, she addresses the voice in the void. "Attention Umboldt survivors. Does your lighter have power? Can you make your way to us?"
    Last edited by rax; 2019-06-20 at 03:09 PM.