New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC

"A data-stack hidden in a barracks? If this lot are anything like the groundpounders we used to transport in the Navy, it's probably someone's collection of dirty holographs. Or, if their command structure was like the Army's, then it could be a surveillance set-up by the regimental commander or commissar to keep an eye on the rank and file. Not a lot of trust in the Army, I always found."

Spoiler: Some tests
    Show
    Hannabel does actually have Tech-Use and Forbidden Lore (Xenos) trained, so perhaps she can glean something useful from the discovery just by looking at it. And if her rolls fail, she can always provide an assist to Anika or Ravia.

Forbidden Lore (Xenos): (1d100)[97] vs. Int 40
    Tech-Use: (1d100)[8] vs. Int 40

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

To Macharius, 'Well spotted.'

Inside she gestured to the smoking machinery. 'If it burned out just because we got here, how long was it switched on for? If it was since before the battle that's quite impressive.'

Then she'll go take a closer look at the apparent data storage device, 'Get a power source we might be able to read it. Even xenos dirty pictures can be educational.'

Spoiler
    Show

I suppose any rolls could come with assist bonuses from Ravia and/or Hannabel

I want to know how it works. As long as I don't have to plug into it or something.

Tech-Use
    vs. 53
    (1d100)[15]

Forbidden Lore (Xenos)
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[88]

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

++Any Data, no matter how minor is important for understanding how a Xenos culture operates++

Spoiler
    Show

Tech Use TN 78 (d100)[25]
    FL:Xenos TN 58 (d100)[75]

Ravia looks to see how to collect the device without unduly damaging it for later inspection
    Last edited by Leon; 2018-11-10 at 09:20 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel, Anika and Ravia examined the xenos data device. It had no obvious power source, but Ravia reported that it did have power, coming from some sort of internal storage device. There didn't appear to be a way to access the device for charging, the same as for everything else made from the coral. The data medium slotted into the top, and a small hololithic display snapped on. The display cycled through a few static images of mountains, followed by a series of symbols in the same language as the carven names next to the bunks. Some of the symbols were different, and appeared to represent numbers instead of letters. Without a more thorough analysis, they couldn't be sure what the data meant.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius looks at Pytho. Pythonissam, did the creature seem to have any reaction to that? Can it read? Did it understand the words? I wonder what's so significant about those mountains...

Doctor Vanhal, Father Ornstein, any idea from the two of you what these symbols mean? Perhaps this was a mission briefing, and they were to attack those mountains? Or defend them?

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

"No reaction," Said Pytho, "But I doubt it can read. Literacy was probably one of the first things to go."

Father Ornstein moved up, watching the display play over a few times through. Anika's skull hovered behind him, clicking softly as it recorded the symbols into its databanks. "If it's a briefing, it's a strange one. The numbers are coordinates, as best I can tell, and the pictures are all the same mountain from different angles. The best translation for this word is 'sanctuary,' I think, and this one here means 'Recovery,' or 'Reclamation.' There are a lot of words about cold, or freezing. This last number here is just an identification tag, says this message is one of several."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #637
    Banned

Well - at least we can get surface scans, right? Match those mountains from orbit, go have a look.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "Literacy was probably one of the first things to go."
    'That's usually the case. Writing isn't much use for keeping yourself fed.'

She'll point at the mountains, 'Sanctuary from the cold perhaps, and there was fighting over the shelters. Sibellus supposedly had public shelters at one point. In case of war the people had somewhere to hide. I could absolutely see fighting over them happening if people were desperate enough, and maybe this lot were already at war for other reasons.'

'Anyway, finding these mountains might be tricky.'

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If the mountain is tagged with both 'sanctuary' and 'recovery' or 'reclamation' then perhaps it's less a shelter from the ice and more of an...ark? I mean if the ice is artificially generated, then perhaps the idea was that the machines that are making it happen would one day be turned off, or run down by themselves. Maybe the mountain is full of stuff to help reclaim or repopulate the planet once that happens? And maybe it's full of xenos archaeotech?" she winks at Anika and Ravia.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned

And again - an ark for which side? If it's the Yu'Vath waiting in there to reclaim the world, that'd be .. bad. Right?

Suppose the Yu'Vath retreated there because of the ice, and we turn off the generators. Oh what fun that would be.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-11-13 at 02:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I thought we were operating on the assumption that the residents of this barracks were the "good guys"? It would be mighty strange for the allies of the Yu'Vath to hide information about their secret base in an enemy barracks, don't you think? And besides - if the mountain does turn out to be full of Yu'Vath or their clients, it'll be an "All you can kill" buffet for your big, bad bolter, right?" Hannabel responds with a sweet smile.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Banned

I'm not operating under any assumption. It would make pretty good sense for the 'bad guys' to have coded information of their primary objective - to protect the resting place of their masters.

Same could be said of the 'good guys'.

If we assume wrong - we awaken the Yu'Vath. I think it's reasonable of me to play Devils Advocate.

Felidae ponders Hannabel's closing briefly.

Not saying that's automatically a bad thing. Just ... worth considering.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-11-13 at 04:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is conflicted. In most cases she'd be glad to go poking around in an ancient xenos ruin. 'Felidae has a point. Which is why if we go in we should be prepared to run like hell or have the ships bombard the site at a moment's notice.' She has no idea how effective the Sting and the Talon might be in that case.

'At worse there might be something nasty sleeping there, but even if there is the Imperium needs to hear about it. Sleeping in some ark is not dead. Even if we quarantined this place and left it alone what's to say they won't wake up anyway at some point.'

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

"Once I'm back on the Sting, I can use my abilities to look for warp signatures. Yu'Vath or Yu'Vath technology would be detectable," Pytho says. "That way we'll at least have an idea before we open it."

Leaving the barracks - and its secret room - stripped of everything that looked useful, the group headed for the penultimate scanner location. It was through several tunnels, and the closer they got to it the less the city seemed to have been excavated. The buildings visible through the ice were more damaged, and the ice tunnels were narrow and cramped. At last, they came up against signs that something had been working down here; a crude barricade was built across the tunnel, little more than chunks of stone shoved into place. Ravia's auspex reported that there was a cavern beyond the barricade, and that one of the sensors should be set up inside. The auspex registered nothing else; no organic life, no movement.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #645
    Banned

Looking at the wall of loosely piled rocks, Felidae remarks:

I'll have this thing down in no time - if and when we're ready to go?'

She looks to Macharius to make the actual decision.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

'So the defenders of this place were probably beaten and pushed further into the city. Does that make this barrier part of a last stand?'

17. - Top - End - #647
    Banned

Are any tools left on this side? Was the rocks for the barricade taken from here - or the opposite side?

Felidae looks around to confirm or deny these things.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Funny, I was thinking just the opposite," Hannabel replies to Anika. "That this looks like the sort of barricade our fishy friend here might build. Which would make it an attempt block the tunnel and keep whatever may be on the other side right where it is. See? I can be a pessimist too!" she giggles.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika grins at Hannabel in spite of herself. 'Pessimist? I suppose you're right. Your version would mean there might be xenos bodies down here.'

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Whatever they barricaded in or out, it's either dead now or will be shortly. Marines, ready weapons! Cover the barricade. If anything comes through the breach, send it to its maker. Felidae, tear down this wall! Macharius gestures dramatically.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Banned

Tossing rocks left and right, Felidae starts working her way through the barricade.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

It didn't take very long for Felidae to get through the barricade. Her power armour's enhanced strength was more than adequate for shifting rocks, and the tunnel was soon strewn with castoffs.

The chamber on the other side was cavernous, filled with damaged and destroyed buildings and littered with the bones of the dead. The floor was seafloor mud, baked hard as stone, and the interior was noticeably warm. The walls of ice dripped constantly, the air near them filled with swirling mist. The mist quickly thinned towards the centre of the chamber, the devestation getting more and more pronounced. It was as though the cavern had formed around the epicentre of a great explosion, carved out by forces of air and fire. In the middle, under the high domed ceiling, the remains of the buildings had been scythed down to their foundations, the fragments of stone mixed with chunks of blackened crystal. A great heap of crystal, black shot through with purple, sprouted from the ground like a palace of knives. It was dead and cold, a dark splotch on Anika's preysense goggles. A smaller chunk of crystal, this one bright electric blue, hissed with energy a short distance away. This was the source of the chamber's heat.

"Don't touch that," Pytho warned, eyes screwed shut. "The big pieces are dead, the warp only barely clinging to them, but that one still flickers with unholy fire."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #653
    Banned

Well ... that's certainly not what I expected to find. Any chance I can just shoot it?

Felidae raises her bolter tentatively, awaiting orders, but clearly itching to do violence. It's well known that if you tried to solve something with violence, and it didn't work, you simply didn't use enough of it - Felidae's only doubt is whether she has enough of it. There are definite upper limits to the amount of violence achievable with even a really good stormbolter.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Well ... that's certainly not what I expected to find. Any chance I can just shoot it?
    'Maybe with a bigger gun. She wasn't sure where to start with this, but something had destroyed the buildings.'So is it some sort of Yu'vath weapon? Pytho, how dangerous is it to be even near that thing?'

Spoiler
    Show

Forbidden Lore (Xenos) to have any idea what this is
    vs. Int 53 (assist bonus from Ravia / Hannabel)
    (1d100)[42]

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

It was hard to tell, given the extensive damage and the alien construction, but after a few moments of staring at it Anika figured out what she was looking at. The large mess of crystals was what remained of a Yu'Vath void construct that had crash-landed on the city. The blue crystal was probably a part of the starship, a power source or payload that had broken loose when the ship impacted. Standing near it wasn't likely to be healthy long term, but for a short time...

Anika's train of thought was interrupted by a sort of clinking, rattling sound. The humming from the blue crystal increased in pitch, sparks playing across its surface. Their captive fishman gibbered and mouned, twisting in his restraints as he tried to get free. The sound seemed to be coming from everywhere, the acoustics of the chamber making it difficult to determine what exactly it was. Macharius pinpointed it first. The bones, hundreds of them, ancient Xenos dead lying all across the cavern, had started moving.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quite dangerous apparently. 'That is active Yu'vath tech and we might want to get back.' Anika will back away quickly to find some sort of cover. Her bolter is already out but she had no idea how resilient that crystal was.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Banned

Permission to open fire?

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We need to get to a defensible position and concentrate our firepower!" Hannabel shouts, suddenly very serious. "The gribblies had the right idea - the tunnel we came through will keep whatever this is from swarming us!" Drawing both her laspistols, she begins to retreat to the tunnel.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half Action: Move towards the tunnel entrance. Half Move = 4m.
    Half Action: Aim for +20 bonus (incl. Accurate quality) on next attack.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Permission granted! Take your shot, Felidae, you're our best hope! Everyone, fall back! Murphy, Almagor, concentrate fire on the crystal. Marines, shoot anything that gets close.

Macharius retreats back past the choke point and into cover, drawing his pistol.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Actions- move and draw weapon

30. - Top - End - #660
    Banned

Felidae does what she sees as her duty: Hunkers down, fires full auto, and is the last to retreat.

This is not a swarm of unfortunate fish guys. This is a remnant of the Yu'Vath, a real and credible threat to the Imperium. Sighting carefully, she whispers:

Grant me, oh Emperor, the strength to strike down thine enemies!

With that, the weapon roars, as if in answer. The voice of the Emperor, spoken clearly in bolter fire. Shot upon shot strikes true, His will manifest.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

When I say aim, I don't mean Aim. There's no time for such niceties.

BS: (1d100)[13] vs. 65 (+ a possible 10 for short range (90), +20 for full auto), so a 85/95 final TN.
    Damage: (1d10+5)[6] pen 4
    Tearing: (1d10+5)[9] pen 4
    Damage: (1d10+5)[7] pen 4
    Tearing: (1d10+5)[14] pen 4
    Damage: (1d10+5)[9] pen 4
    Tearing: (1d10+5)[15] pen 4
    Damage: (1d10+5)[6] pen 4
    Tearing: (1d10+5)[9] pen 4

Potential RF:
    Damage: (1d10)[10]
    Damage: (1d10)[4]
    Damage: (1d10)[6]
    Damage: (1d10)[4]

Felidae has 4 fate, and ... I think she spent 2? Maybe 3? Regardless I'm pretty sure she still has 1 to spare, so on a miss, reroll:
    BS: (1d100)[68] vs. 65 (+ a possible 10 for short range (90), +20 for full auto), so a 85/95 final TN.

Edit: Reroll unneccesary =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-11-18 at 03:25 AM.