New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC

Having made a makeshift "dock" Ravia makes her way inward to the bay and inspects its sealed doors. Finding a access panel she will attempt to see what is wrong
    ++This is why proper maintenance protocols need to be adhered to++
    ++No matter if your lodged in a small moon or not++

After inspecting the controls and maintenance ports for a while

Spoiler
    Show

Tech Use @-10 TN 73 (d100)[80]

++Ah, the hydraulic pump capacitors are shot and that is a simple task. With that done I will revive the tired Spirits and bring these two along as well, will need two more pilots++
    Last edited by Leon; 2019-08-12 at 09:58 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Banned

So long as they're just 'sad shuttles' - I was worried they might be some sort of archeo-tech stealth fighter-bombers. We might want to make more effort for something of that sort.

So no evidence they've succumbed to eating each other either. I guess my paranioa was luckily unfounded. Again.
    There's barely a trace of disappointment in Felidae's voice.

3. - Top - End - #1293

++I can force some servitors to eat each other if you need++
    ++Its no bother, can even alter them to have nice big jaws, making servitors is cathartic++
    ++Ooo i should salvage the spirits and infuse them with servitors, they'd be good eaters having been neglected for so long++

Spoiler
    Show

Tech Use to extract the Machine cores of the shuttles if possible and anything else useful like say Logs TN 83 (d100)[48]
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Banned

Her facial expression thankfully hidden by her helmet, Felidae is invisibly struggling with the images of servitors purposely eating each other - the why of it pales in comparison to the fact that, seemingly, Ravia would do this to help her ... somehow.

I feel if you give it a bit of thought, Tech Priest, you can find a better use for those machine spirits. I'm honestly not sure you can find a worse one, even with a lot of thought.

5. - Top - End - #1295

++They shall have a new lease of life with us and maybe i'll build a Servitor gladiator pit with all consuming combatant later ~ You kill it you eat it, kind of like a Arcoflagellant with more eating and less thrashing i guess++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is helping with the door and manages to be interested in spite of herself. 'Wait...do servitors actually need food? Or do they just remember that they used to need it.'

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Could you people hurry it up out there? All this chatter about eating is making me hungry," Hannabel interjects over the vox.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, glad to hear none of you have been eaten. Magos, your creativity is once again astounding. I can have the bosuns bring you whatever irredeemables they have in the brig, if you would like.

Macharius claps Hannabel on the shoulder when she speaks. Fear not, Mistress Shanx! I had the stewards outfit us with a light repast in case this salvage mission took longer than expected. We'll have to do without proper waitstaff, sadly, and of course you can't have any amasec, but roughing it adds to the charm, what!

He pulls out a large box filled with small portions of food in richly-ornamented serving dishes and removes his helmet, satisfaction evident on his face. Splendid! Grox tartare? Pickled quail eggs? What's your fancy?

9. - Top - End - #1299

++Not in the way that most would know as eating but routine maintenance includes high density nutrient stacks that are most efficient, unless specifically left that way for a reason most servitors are not going to be able to swallow a mouthful of anything let alone use that mouth in the first place++

++Excellent!++ ++I have some ideas that a new batch of inductees will make useful testing platforms on++
    ++Gene-splicing is so interesting, your never sure what your going to get at first++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

With Anika's help, Ravia was able to coax the malfunctioning hydraulics into working again. It was a bit of a rough patch job, and almost certainly wouldn't hold up long term, but it was enough to get the doors opened. The shuttles, once inspected, proved to be perfectly ordinary, if old and worn out. There was enough fuel in the tanks for the quick flight they'd need, though undoubtedly some maintenance would be required before they could be pressed into proper service.

With the shuttle bay opened up, loading the survivors and their equipment was a lot faster. The survivors worked mostly in silence, tired, sunken-eyes nevertheless reflecting sincere relief that they were going to be leaving this place. As the shuttles were landing in the bay to take on the last group, save the two multilaser-armed guards still keeping watch, Anika noticed an urgently blinking light on her auspex. Hannabel saw one too, on the console of her shuttle. Ghostly sensor returns were inching down the tunnels towards them, coming from somewhere deeper within the planet. Every few seconds, as the auspex swept back over that section of tunnel, the number increased. There were dozens of them. Maybe hundreds. Too many to count.

Swivelling the lander to point its lights towards the tunnel entrance, on the far side of the cavern, Hannabel caught the first of the Hollow Men in the beams of the high-powered luminators. They poured from the tunnel mouth, utterly silent, a tide of ghostly killers flowing towards the downed frigate.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Banned

So, it's propably naive to ask, but do we have something that will collapse the tunnel on them? No? Didn't think so. You know what I hate more than always being right? No, nothing comes to mind for me neither.

Hollow Men, maybe. Perhaps that's it. Orders?

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Listen up! Everyone keep calm and keep boarding those shuttles, but do it fast!" Hannabel barks into the vox. "Survivor commander! We've got a bloody great swarm of Hollow Men incoming. When we fought them before, they didn't seem interested in people, just the Sting. What're the odds that they'll leave everyone alone and go for the frigate?"

OOC: I think I asked this before, but does the leader of the survivors have a name?

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

'I do not see how anyone can have an appetite in the middle of all this.'

To Felidae 'I'm not a geologist, but I'd have to worry about managing to bring the cave down around our ears. Still, perhaps it would be better then the alternative.'

14. - Top - End - #1304

++As long as we are out of here before they arrive at this point we can strike the entrance with a volley++
    ++I know i wanted a sample but not when there is a horde of them bearing down on us.++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius snaps his helmet back into place. He barks into the command channel. Command staff, report your locations! Any command staff still on the wreck, return to the command shuttle now! Get strapped in. We are leaving immediately.

He switches to the general shuttle vox channel. Absalom shuttle fleet, prepare for tactical retreat. The command shuttle is falling back. Fully loaded shuttles, follow suit in priority order. Loading shuttles, complete embarkment posthaste. Fear not the daemon or the Xeno, for the Emperor protects!

Finally, he switches to communication with the waiting ships. We are returning to the Sting with a few unruly Xenos on our heels. Prepare docking stations immediately. Ready the macrocannons to fire on and collapse these tunnels once the shuttles are clear, on my order.

He looks over at Hannabel. Mistress Shanx, ready our immediate departure. Once our officers are on board, we retreat to the Sting with no delays.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Banned

There was mention of a rocket launcher and a couple of krak missiles. Felidae does a quick bit of mental math, trying to figure out whether grabbing that, looking for a reasonable seam or fracture - if one can be located - and shooting the missile there, hoping to collapse the tunnel the Hollow Men are coming from .. will also leave enough time to be inside the shuttle door when it blasts off.

If so, she will. Sadly, she's neither a geologist nor a demolitionist. But she's willing to pay for the krak missile out her own pocket if it doesn't work.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Already got my foot on the accelerator, Lord Commander," Hannabel reassures him.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

The leader of this band of survivors, a man named Jocasto, had stayed on the wreck to ensure that everyone else got out first. He had picked up a commbead, though, and was still in contact over the shrot range vox. When Hannabel called, he answered promptly.

"I see 'em. That many, some will go for the ship, but they'll want the shuttles, too. We'd best be moving." The transmission cut off as he started hurrying the last few survivors onto the shuttles. Shouting wouldn't do much good, with no atmosphere in the bay - they had been keeping it depressurised, both because it was unclear how well Ravia's fix would hold up, and because it made landing and loading much faster. The pilots had been keeping their engines primed, as well. As soon as the last men were aboard, and the ramps raised, they'd be free to lift off.

Felidae eyed the tunnel through which the Hollow Men were pouring. There was still some distance to them, time enough for her to retrieve the missile launcher... but the stone was almost certainly too thick to be damaged much by a single rocket. A geologist she was not, but she'd seen enough fortifications in her time to know that they'd need something far heavier than even a demolisher cannon to bring down the tunnels. The Sting's guns would almost certainly suffice, and the Fury's would be more than adequate.

The command shuttle turned, ready to lead the retreat. As she was banking through the turn, Hannabel caught sight of the multilaser guards, weaponry in tow, clambering across the makeshift bridge to one of the cargo shuttles. The cables were severed, and the shuttle pulled away from the hull of the drigate. Inside the bay, Jocasto bolted up the ramp of the last shuttle as it lifted off the deck, the last of the survivors finally boarded.

Not a moment too soon: The Hollow Men split into two groups, the larger one swarming the doomed frigate, while the splinter group jetted towards the Absalom shuttles. Hannabel punched the accelerator, and Macharius' command shuttle took off through the tunnels at speed, with the utility shuttles following hotly behind. Flying fast through the tunnels would be dangerous, but they would need the speed to keep the Hollow Men off of them for long.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll need a series of Pilot tests from Hannabel. You have a choice here. While these are tight quarters, Macharius' shuttles are faster than the Hollow Men on a straightaway. You can gain +10 to your opposed pilot test, but if you roll 92+ you've clipped some protruding obstacle and the Aquila takes a critical hit as though Righteous Fury had happened: ie, I roll 1d5 on the vehicle critical table and apply the result. If, on the other hand, you choose to test at +0, then you eliminate the risk of hitting things, but give the Hollow Men a better chance at keeping up.

The autocannon is, I believe, a forward mount. You can only shoot it at things in front of you. The other pilots in the shuttle fleet will follow Hannabel's lead, and are not required to roll seperately.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Take us out of here, Hannabel. Full speed ahead. I have complete faith in your ability to see us through this safely. Macharius pats the back of her chair with an armored gauntlet.

He leans forward and speaks into the vox channel. Absalom pilots! Today your skill is tested, and through it your victory is assured. As Saint Eurydice the Twice-Martyred said, the hands of the faithful are guided by the Emperor himself. You do not fly your shuttles alone, but rather travel in His glorious presence. Fear not the Daemon, for the Emperor is with you! Fear not the Xenos, for the saints are with you! And fear not death, for I am with you! We fly, for Absalom and the Emperor!

Show
    Inspiring Leader on Hannabel. Rousing oratory to keep the other shuttles motivated and confident. If there's one thing Macharius can be relied on for, it's speeches.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2019-08-14 at 08:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ettin in the Playground

'Even so, I'd like to believe the Emperor helps those who helps themselves.' Anika is strapped in and is expecting to be boarded at any moment.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Aid the Machine Spirit to increase manoeuvrability
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[33]

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel's initial burst of speed gave their group a significant lead on the Hollow Men. The tunnels were winding, the jutting spars of metal and rocky outcroppings seemingly conspiring to appear in their way. Hannabel flew for their lives, jinking expertly around each hazard. Anika kept a close eye on the auspex. The Hollow Men were still back there, far, far too many of them, and they seemed to be gaining back some of the lost ground. The shuttles in the back were keeping ahead of the enemy, but only just. Then they hit a straight section of tunnel, wider and less treacherous, and Hannabel used the opportunity to push the Aquila to its limits. Engines screaming, they shot through the tunnels, the craft shaking underneath their feet as Hannabel put it through a punishing turn into a narrow tunnel offshoot.

Suddenly, another group of enemy contacts appeared on the auspex. The Hollow Men were putting their home-field advantage to good use. No doubt the scavengers knew every turn, every twisting subterranean passage that wormed its way through the planet. Warning lights started blinking on the control panel, frost creeping up from the edges of the armaplas canopy. There was something else watching them, something beyond just the Hollow Men. A column of the scavengers appeared out of a side tunnel just behind their column, the rear shuttle spinning out of the way to avoid them as its pilot fought desperately to keep his craft out of their reach. Some of the front few opened fire with their torches, bright flares of plasma lighting the tunnels.

They flew past a metal spar that Hannabel was certain she had seen once already. The blackness seemed to be closing in around them, the rays of light from the Aquila's forward luminators looking increasingly feeble as they fought to pierce the oppressive darkness. Despite the dogged persistence of the Hollow Men, Hannabel's skill was beginning to tell, and they were slowly pulling further and further away from the group.

The planet itself seemed loathe to let them go, though, the tunnels stretching endlessly onwards. It had taken them less time than this to reach the frigate, surely. Flying at breakneck speeds through winding passages in the stone, their surfaces worn smooth, slick. Flickering on the edges of vision, the stone undulated rhythmically, the smooth surface taking on a sickly organic sheen. The auspex readouts flickered, crackled, the distance to their ship shooting rapidly upwards, numbers spiraling exponentially higher, higher...

They felt, rather than heard, a scream of primal, animalistic rage as the Aquila shot at last from the tunnels and out into the welcoming embrace of the void. Stars glittered around them, the frost flaking from the canopy. Hannabel spun the Aquila around, flying backwards towards the Sting. The last of their shuttles was just exiting the tunnels, swarms of Hollow Men visible in the darkness beneath the planet, boiling up after them. Then the Absalom guns spoke.

The Fury fired first, dozens of shipbreaking melta warheads slamming into the thin crust of Blight. A volley of missiles fired from the Sting's batteries followed, fire blossoming across the surface of the dead world. The stone blistered and cracked, splitting under the punishment of Imperial ordnance. Both ships fired again, pouring lasers and shells into the planet's surface. The Hollow Men vanished under thousands of tonnes of rock and dust as the tunnel entrance collapsed. Macharius' ships kept up their fire, hammering Blight until every tunnel within range had collapsed in on itself. Only then, as the shuttles were finally landing in the ship's launch bays, did the order to cease fire silence their mighty guns.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yes! Now THAT is what evasive manoeuvring looks like!" Hannabel cheers herself as the Aquila settles in the launch bay. "Anyone want to get on their knees and kiss my finely toned behind, now's the time to do it!" she laughs as she unstraps herself from the pilot's seat.

23. - Top - End - #1313

++I guess i will have to settle for accounts of what they were rather than having one to test++
    ++More fun with quarantine processing i guess++
    ++Metrics, many metrics to consider. And there there is the actual prize of why we are here to consider, one wonders if more of the creatures will be there aswell++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius rises from his seat and cheers as the fleet opens fire, reserve momentarily forgotten in his elation.Yes! Bring down the Emperor's Wrath!

He sits back down, satisfied, and takes off his helmet. Well done, Hannabel, well done! That was superb piloting. He laughs at her remark. I must regretfully decline the pleasure, Mistress Shanx. Please accept my thanks for our continued survival as a meager substitute. He winks and strides down the gangway, chuckling as he goes.

When he reaches the bottom, he hands off his helmet to a waiting flunky and goes to meet the other shuttle pilots, shaking their hands and congratulating them each personally. Finally, Macharius stands before them all. Absalom pilots! That was masterful piloting. I say to you honestly that not many in the galaxy could have pulled that off, but you did. You saved the lost souls of the Emperor's Faithful, thumbed your noses at a horde of ravening Xenos, and escaped unscathed from a dread planet that sought to consume you! Have pride, men, for you rose to the occasion and covered yourselves in glory. Truly, He on Terra was with us today. I could not ask for more, and I am proud to call you my men!

After allowing a moment for cheers and applause, he raises his hand for silence. Though the Emperor will no doubt reward you all in time, it is my pleasure to give a more temporal reward. Lady Vanhal, I order triple pay on this voyage for each of these brave heroes! And grog with their double rations tonight, as much as they like. They've earned it.

As he returns to the command deck, Macharius voxes into the gunnery decks of the two ships. Gunners! Truly you delivered the Emperor's Judgment today. You stood firm in the face of terrors beyond comprehension. You held your nerve before a tide of the vilest foes. And with skill, fire, and fury you banished it from our sight. You have my thanks and that of the Master of Mankind. I proclaim half again your pay in recognition of your achievement, and double rations tonight.

He turns back to his comrades, smiling broadly. Well, that went well, what? Quite the little adventure!

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will take a moment. To Hannabel, 'Keep flying like that and I'll consider it.' She'll call the bridge, 'Kindly get us away from Blight before something else tries to board us.' They could work out a destination later.

To Ravia, 'I am certain there are more of those things deeper into the Processional. On capturing them, assuming it's not a completely bad idea, do we even have the capacity to capture them? I assume a portable stasis field isn't the sort of thing we have just lying around the engineering decks.'

She'll make a note of Macharius' orders and deal with them as they got underway. To Macharius, 'It was a good start, but I feel like someone ought to come back here with more macro cannons to finish the job.'

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

The survivors from the wreck were unloaded and transferred to Ravia's quarantine area without incident. It was significantly less empty down there with the addition of the new group. There would be more to find, and it would be more dangerous going after them. Arrayed on the Bridge, Macharius and his crew watched Blight pull away, its orbit carrying it further from their ships even as they turned in the opposite direction. The damage they had inflicted on the dead world with their guns was visible even at a distance, crumbling stone and collapsed tunnels appearing as a deep scar on the world's surface. It would take more guns than they had to completely cave the planet in on itself, though, and more time, too. Time that Anika suspected they might not have. There was an urgent quality to the pulsing of the black star at the processional's heart, a thumping rythm that called out to her, to them all. The star wanted them to come closer.

It would be a proftiable trip, though, if what they'd retrieved from the stranded sword was any indication. The missile launcher the survivors had mentioned turned out to be a Retobi-pattern, an ancient design that held a clip of five rounds at once. Then there were the two multilasers, battered yet functional, and many crates of small arms. The men were in good spirits, following Macharius' rousing speeches and promises of additional pay. There was enough wealth in the Processional to bankroll a dozen dynasties, if only it could all be hauled away.

First, though, they had to survive. Blight had shielded them, its bulk sweeping away the wrecks in their path as they had followed its slow orbit, but as they entered the main outer sea proper, the turrets were kept constantly busy, swatting bits of debris that came near the ship. Many of these were the size of a hab block, and could do significant damage if they struck the hull.

Show
    You've entered the next area of the Processional. There's another group of survivors here, which you can search for using Scrutiny + Detection at -10. You can try this as many times as you like, but each time you try it you also need to roll a BS test to keep the debris away. This gets all of the Sting's bonuses to BS as per usual. It also gets a +10, to represent assistance from the Fury.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ettin in the Playground

On the bridge Anika is again irritably watching the auspex. She'd had the nearest shutters closed so that there was less chance of her catching a glimpse of the star, but what she could see of it on the auspex was bad enough. 'Don't want to leave anyone here but it's not as if we can search everywhere. Maybe we start with the largest hunks of wreckage and work our way down.'

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming I still have the mental trauma penalties. It was for most of a day.

Scrutiny vs. Per 43 (Sting's Detection +20) (Trauma -10) (Difficulty -10)
    (1d100)[96]

(1d100)[38]

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Before
    "Would you now?" Hannabel grins at Anika's reply. "Well, you know where to find me when you've finished thinking about it..." she laughs as she sashays out of the landing bay.

Now
    Once more ensconced in the gunnery pit on the bridge, Hannabel hums a happy little tune as she directs the Sting's guns to blast a clear path through the debris.

Ninety nine wrecks floating around, ninety nine wrecks around. Fire the guns, make some space, and there's ninety eight wrecks, floating around. Ninety eight wrecks...

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

With the wrecks thick around them, the effectiveness of the augurs was greatly reduced. Anika had to fight her own distraction and the limits of technology, slowly sifting through piles of ghostly sensor returns and junk data in the search for the next band of outcasts. Hannabel kept the worst of the debris away from them, cheerfully demolishing anything too large that ventured into their path. The Fury's assistance, as well as Macharius' tireless exhortions to the gun crews, were of great help in this endeavour.

As Hannabel blasted the shattered remains of a destroyer into a thousand glittering fragments, Anika finally found the survivors they were looking for. Hailing them and fetching them back on board was a simple matter, as they had a few of their own shuttles to fall back on. The news they gave, however, was disheartening; part of their group had become separated from them during an attack from the Carrion. This group, with no salvageable means of transportation, had was stranded on the hulk of an old transport, its present drifting path bearing it uncomfortably close to Decay.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, as I recall, our real goal and another group of survivors are near Decay, so we'll be heading over there anyway. Picking up this splinter cell on the way shouldn't slow us down all that much. We just have to keep our eyes peeled, guns primed, and chain Bolterface to the bow with a multilaser to hold off any Hollow Men that turn up," Hannabel jokes, now in a much better mood after blasting space scrap for a few hours.