New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Why do Roy's boots have different sizes?

Huh. I always just figured the different size boots were there to make the art more visually interesting to look at. You know, give more character to the style.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

My cousin naturally has 2 different foot sizes due to genetics. It happens (and is a pain for boot & shoe salesmen).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Your cousin can probably remember which boot goes on which foot, though.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Kinda reminds me of that guy who found his sole mate.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alternatively: Roy actually belongs to a species of humans who've cross-bred partly with shapeshifters, and have now developed a unique evolutionary trait in that their internal musculature is fluid and can shift its distribution rapidly throughout the body in response to movement. When Roy places one of his feet down, the muscle tissue shifts towards that plant leg, which gives him greater stability and a lower center of gravity - an evolutionary trait that helps explain his combat prowess.

It has the effect, of course, of causing his feet to expand and shrink in turn as he walks. Thus all members of the human species known as homo sapiens magnapedus must wear special stretchy elastic shoes.

When he left his hometown on his adventures, Roy did get teased for his unusual shape-shifting feet ... once. But the first time you get booted by a man who can shift his center of gravity and 80% of his muscle mass into his kicking leg .... well, there won't be a second.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Alternatively: Roy actually belongs to a species of humans who've cross-bred partly with shapeshifters, and have now developed a unique evolutionary trait in that their internal musculature is fluid and can shift its distribution rapidly throughout the body in response to movement. When Roy places one of his feet down, the muscle tissue shifts towards that plant leg, which gives him greater stability and a lower center of gravity - an evolutionary trait that helps explain his combat prowess.

It has the effect, of course, of causing his feet to expand and shrink in turn as he walks. Thus all members of the human species known as homo sapiens magnapedus must wear special stretchy elastic shoes.

When he left his hometown on his adventures, Roy did get teased for his unusual shape-shifting feet ... once. But the first time you get booted by a man who can shift his center of gravity and 80% of his muscle mass into his kicking leg .... well, there won't be a second.
    LOL

And now I'm trying to figure out all the statistics for playing an homo sapiens magnapedus...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

My understanding is that it was originally a perspective thing that was largely phased out but which Rich kept for Roy for stylistic purposes. My understanding is also that Rich tends to c/p stick figures for reuse and then forget to flip the boots/eyes, hence the gag about mixing up the big and little boots. I think Roy's eyes are "backwards" because Rich screwed it up enough times with the base model that he uses for Roy and many other male warrior types like Thog that he kept it as just part of the character's look (though I like to headcanon that it means Roy is a bit cross-eyed or has a lazy eye.)
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

8. - Top - End - #38

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    My understanding is that it was originally a perspective thing that was largely phased out but which Rich kept for Roy for stylistic purposes.
    Nope, it's still in use for other characters, even in the latest strip. Note in panel 4 that Haley's and Elan's near boots are larger than their far boots.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Nope, it's still in use for other characters, even in the latest strip. Note in panel 4 that Haley's and Elan's near boots are larger than their far boots.
    Good eye! I think the size disparity is larger with Roy's though. Or maybe I'm wrong, lol

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

10. - Top - End - #40

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Good eye! I think the size disparity is larger with Roy's though. Or maybe I'm wrong, lol
    Yes, Roy has big clodhoppers, so the effect is largest for him. If you go back to whatever art upgrade gave Elan shoes (not in the first strips; at one point he meta-comments about how he wasn't sure if he actually had shoes in those strips) you'll see the effect has always been there, just more subtle than for Roy. The effect is even more subtle for V, Durkon, and Belkar, but it is usually there. Probably no more than a couple pixels, though.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I think Roy and Thog's eyes are reverse because of a mistake in their models.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I think it's a bit more complicated than that - many of the early comics have Roy's eyes the right way. But it seems like the Giant mixed it up at some point, possibly with a saved template model he uses for Roy and Thog, and just leaned into it once he realized what he'd done.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    The bigger eye is Roy's zoom lens.

He's also a cyborg.