New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: 'Quest for the Shattered Star' AP [IC]

Darius opts to stay downstairs, as he's not any good at play acting or placating others verbally. Once the two guards are out of sight, he'll start looking around the house to see what other inhabitants he can find.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Darius is gonna look around the entry level of the building and see what all might constitute Natalya's guards should things get violent. He's trying to be unobserved, so he'll stealth as best he can.

Perception: (1d20+7)[19]
    Stealth: (1d20+3)[19]
    Dark Souls 5E by Valmark: Krogarn Krakenhammer

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing that the shed door adjoining the main building is closed, Calamus walks towards it and opens it a crack, peering into the shed.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mehren gives Auriferous a sidelong glance--I hope you know what you're doing--but he says nothing. They certainly don't seem too suspicious of them. He conceals his holy symbol surreptitiously and remains downstairs, investigating with the others while trying to not look suspicious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[7]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

As Turnok, Darius, and Mehren peer around the main floor, they shuffle their feet on small ledges to get around the various rooms. The ledges seem sturdy for what is left, but much of the basement has collapsed. They at first think they counted 7 goblins in all until they realize that 1 has black skin and a long snake-like body. Darius, trying to be as stealthy as possible, does note a couple items -- Stuffed inside a dried and half-eaten dire rat carcass is a handful of copper prices and a few topaz's. There's also fist sized ball of dung that has gold and platinum pieces embedded in it for whatever strange reason.

Checking out the side shack, Calamus seems to only find the interior littered with fresh garbage and debris from the current inhabitants. A small, rusted metal bunk-bed sits in the north western corner. There however does seem to be some shiny objects scattered in the trash strewn around but you can't quite make them out.

Auriferous and Nym follow the men by doing a few balancing acts along the thick wooden beams leading them to the most north western wall of the attic. They chuckle at the first question. "Aye, roughly 250. We've always been friends with Natalya, so when she left and asked to hire us we immediately accepted. And their tiny minds are no match because our leader is a great sorceress. Her magics will make her the greatest thief queen Maginmar has ever known."

They then kneel and lower their heads in the presence of their leader. "Grand Mastaba, these outsiders wish to join your campaign!"

Upon first sight of Natalya Vancaskerkin, you almost feel sorry for the woman. Her hair is a mess, and her clothes are stained and ruined. She holds in her right hand a mithral short sword and an arrowhead-looking piece of coppery metal in her off hand like a dagger. She perches on a makeshift plank platform that has been inserted into the hollowed and chipped out chimney of the building. Her throne consists on nothing more than a bar stool surrounded by various trash, rusted pieces of metal, and a head sized burlap sack. A ladder behind the stool leads up and out the rest of the chimney.

"Well well well! It seems my name has spread faster than I had imagined. Kneel before me and explain how you came by my holy palace! Only then may I give you a test to prove yourselves to me." You hear the snark and snobbish attitude come out in full. You both even see a literal small spark in her eye that gives you both an uneasy feeling.

Just as she finishes speaking however is when you both also make eye contact with her two goblin archers in both corners on this area of the attic. Their bows are both drawn and ready to fire small arrows. Should you not comply, you assume.

Spoiler: Sewer Goblins
    Show

Spoiler: Natalya Vancaskerkin
    Show

Spoiler: The coppery metal object in her hand
    Show
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2018-03-19 at 06:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Currently Made Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Darius will pick up the copper and topaz's from the carcass, and will look around for something to wipe off the coins that doesn't involve his own clothing. If nothing is available, he'll simply leave the turd-covered coins for now and inform the party about it later, as he has no desire to handle filthy coinage.

6. - Top - End - #126

PaladinGuy

Calamus moves into the shed to examine more closely the shiny objects, which caught his eye when he first looked into the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+9)[28]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Turnok is almost ready to interject that Auriferous' words are blatant falsehoods when the guards begin to obviously scoop it up as fact. He blinks twice, his face a blank mask of shock, and they turn to guide the bard (and rest of the party) to their... leader. As the shock fades, his mouth falls open in amused disbelief. "He is going to get himself killed," he mutters, as Auriferous follows the guards past Goblins and over a precariously-balanced beam. None too eager to die by drowning in the filth that fills the basement level, Turnok instead stays just outside, eyeing the Goblins warily and unsure whether or not he hopes this meeting goes south.... In case it does, he pulls out his earthbreaker and lays its massive head over his shoulder.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Trust me, pretender, one's name does not travel that fast. I've been trying for quite a while. Wisely, Auriferous keeps such tights to himself as he performs his practiced bow and kneels.

"Greetings Grand Mastaba! I am Abberon Persistent and my journey to meet you started by a chance of fate.

You see I was feeling quite lonely one night not too long ago and had no luck at the bars. So I decided to make my way to a place where I could err get to know the locals. Well that was where I met this old coot landlord who told me how a certain someone who had angered the Sczarni with her own brilliance and had begun amassing an army."

Well I couldn't let such a chance to meet someone so interesting and just had to come to meet you. I have little love for the Sczarni myself, but really a little voice just popped into my head saying Abberon you follow this woman and you work hard for her and she is going to become grander than anything you have ever known. You don't want to miss this chance. So I grabbed my closest friends who I thought would also be of service told them the whole ordeal and hear we are!"

The whole time that he speaks, Auriferous keeps an eye out for any possible relic. Chances were that if it was affecting Natalya it would have to stay on her to keep up it's influence.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    swift action to start up archaeologist luck
    bluff (1d20+8)[12]
    Perception (1d20+7)[12]

9. - Top - End - #129

BardGuy

"Oh yes this is a pleasure to hear. You could be just what I'm looking for! Those whining bitches couldn't handle the fact that I deserved the relic I found." She belts out as she raises the arrowhead-like metal object that you know for a fact to be the Shard of Pride. You can both, being magic users, feel the sheer overwhelming aura of the artifact even without the use of detect magic.

"Had to pry it right out of my captains hands....."
    but she is cut off by the sound of wood snapping and the cracking of a whip. In a blink of an eye, she has a large lash mark across her left cheek. You hear 3 firm thuds from the south side of the attic. Her guards move to peak around the corner and fire off a pair of arrows. 2 insectoid creatures with two pairs of bat wings, a tangle of thin legs, and a needle-sharp proboscis swoop in from inside of the chimney. Her Varisian guards swiftly make their way over the wooden beams but are just shy from swiping with their swords.

"Not another word out of your mouth Girl!" a different female voice says from the south with a Varisian accent.

Looking closer at the shiny objects, Calamus clearly sees that there are numerous silver goblets and chalices scattered about in the large heaps of trash. Guard payment? Horde? "Vault?" You are not quite sure.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Spoiler: The Shard of Pride
    Show
    So with thegoldenfedora's Nat20, you know that this is definitely only 1 of 7 shards of metal. This one happens to be the sin of Pride and is made of coppery Horacalcum. It's owner can cast a major image spell daily. The curse of this shard results in the owner experiencing delusions of grandeur. Additionally the owner is sickened when serving another creature. All 7 of the shards together is called the Sihedron, or more commonly known as The Shattered Star. An artifact created by an Azlanti wizard named Xin, who would later become the founding Emperor of Thassilon. Each shard, however, carries a curse related to its associated sin. The curse may be suppressed by placing a specific type of ioun stone in the appropriate spot of the shard. Additionally, the magic effects of each shard are so strong that carrying more than two causes problems such as becoming nauseated and more.

Spoiler: OoC=Turnok, Mehren, Darius, Calamus
    Show
    Go ahead and roll me a Perception check. Turnok you get a +2 circumstance bonus because you are standing outside the building.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

PaladinGuy

Calamus picks up one of the shiny silver goblets and stuffs it into a pocket, turning toward the door to go inform the others of what he's found.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

Perception: (1d20+9)[20]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

After picking up the copper and topaz's, Darius makes his way up towards the attic where the others went.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[19]

12. - Top - End - #132

SwashbucklerGuy

Auriferous rises from the ground, holding his spear to the side as he gauges the current events. Of course he could get further into Natalya's graces and defend her, but that meant making an enemy of an unknown person. For now he decided to bide his time. He kept his spear at the ready, but refrained from any defining action, preferring to keep his cards close in case he had to do some dicey allegiances.

Show
    swift action for archaeologist luck! End it for lingering performance to begin
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2018-03-20 at 09:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mehren glances up at the commotion going on upstairs, hand moving toward the scimitar at his side.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[21]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Nym frowns at the appearance of the creatures, and looks over to where the other voice comes. "Stirges," she mutters. "I hate stirges."

With that, she snaps her fingers, intones a word of power, and sends an unerring bolt of magical force towards the nearest one.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Nym hates stirges like normal people hate mosquitoes. Unfortunately, Burning Hands might cause too much collateral damage, so...Magic Missile it is.

(1d4+2)[3] force damage
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Turnok starts at the sudden sounds of violence from within. "Ugh. Can you no fight on the ground like normal people?" Less than eager to trust the boards with his weight and his legs with balancing, he drops his hammer, pulls out a javelin and steps into the doorway. Giving pause just long enough to locate one of the aforementioned stirges, he lets fly.

Spoiler: Turnok, round 1
    Show
    Turnok "Kills With Mercy"
    M Neutral (G) Half-Orc (Shoanti-raised) Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Earthbreaker +6 (2d6+6, x3)
    Klar +5 (1d6+4, x2)
    Javelin (w/ amentum) (6x) +3 (1d6+4, x2)
    Leather Lamellar, Klar (+4 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Nontraditional native: +1 to crit confirmation w/ klar & earthbreaker

free action to drop earthbreaker. The "step into the doorway" is fluff- ranged attacks aren't hampered by staying in cover.
    move action to draw the javelin

standard action to fling!
    (1d20+3)[5] javelin (50' range increment) __________ (1d20+3)[18] CC (23, x2)
    (1d6+4)[5] damage _____________________ (1d6+4)[7] bonus critical damage

16. - Top - End - #136

BardGuy

You all can see a group of 4 people standing quite easily on the wooden beams of the attic. 3 of them are men who look vaguely similar to the other two thugs under Natalya's order. So you assume they are no more than other Sczarni gang members, but the 4th is a Varisian woman who looks like she has a real aura of authority about her. She is some sort of leader dressed in a chain shirt, silk clothes, and backpack, with a short-sword and grappling hook on her belt.

1 of the 3 thugs tumble to the bottom level and begin to hack at the goblins, who return fire by throwing bags of smelly sewage. The last 2 thugs fend off Natalya's men and goblins, giving the woman a chance to acrobatically move past them all and fire her hand crossbow at Natalya. The bolt flies through the air and strike Natalya directly in her left shoulder, making her drop the shard. You all see the shard plummet and disappear into the pool of sewage below.

More in shock of getting shot, Natalya barely notices the stirge get shot by the force missile (but not killing it), and Turnok's javelin flings right past the other stirge before sinking into the clapboard wall behind it.

Spoiler: Terisha Skiloni- the woman with the whip
    Show
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2018-03-23 at 08:44 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

SwashbucklerGuy

Auriferous watches the shard fall out of the corner of his eye, and briefly considers risking the smell and diving after it. At the sudden thud of Turnok's javelin he notices the half orc down below and an idea comes to mind.

He begins to speak as if the sudden fight wasn't happening at all, but projected so that everyone, especially Turnok could hear him.

"You know my last encounter with stirges was quite a riot. I was in the middle of a bar crawl celebrating a friends birthday. He was this pleasant chap, I think he had some orcish blood in him, big guy. He would swim through the rivers nearby and come out with the most interesting of rocks and trinkets, especially ones that were thrown over by people making wishes into the river." Auriferous hoped that was subtle enough, but he still want sure how quick witted his allies were yet.

"Well at some point I must have gotten turned around as I found myself stumbling through a swamp. Funny thing about stirges in case you didn't know, they drink the blood of larger creatures. Quite annoying I tell you. Well a group came up out of nowhere and as i drunkenly tried to fight them off, one landed on me and had a big ol swig of Abberon blood. I was quite disgusted, but then the oddest thing happened, the stirges started flying around all funny, it never could seen to go in a straight line.

It seemed it had gotten rather drunk after taking a chug of my alcohol rich blood. Apparently they don't hydrate quite like they should."

Suddenly he accentuates his words with a sudden thrust of his spear. Straight up at one of the attackers running through the scaffolding.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Move action to get near one of the upper attackers
    Bluff check to create a distraction for Turnok to go for the shard
    (1d20+8)[11]

Attack at one of the attackers (I think with a reach weapon I can get one, but if not I'll attack one one the ground)
    (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage (1d8+5)[6]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Coming up the stairs and hearing the sounds of combat start in earnest, Darius races up to the attic to witness the utter chaos unfolding in front of him. Taking a moment to gather himself, he looks towards the woman up in the rafters who seems to be in charge of the enemy group, and makes a punching motion with his hand towards her. A fist-shaped ball of water gathers and rockets from his hand towards the woman to try and knock her off her spot into the area below where Darius can reach her.

Spoiler: Round 1 actions
    Show

Hydraulic Push: (1d20+4)[19] vs the leader of the thugs to push her off wherever she's standing to fall down where we can more easily reach her. This is against her CMD.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

As the battle continues, Nym looks over those fighting, frowning, for a few moments before simply advancing a few steps - after a quick look down, of course, to make sure she wasn't going to fall - and calling forth flame to her fingertips. A wave of anger goes through her as she speaks the words of the spell, sparks dancing around her hands as she makes the necessary arcane gestures, before finally unleashing the spell in a cone of fire.

Spoiler: Round 2 Actions
    Show
    Casting Furious Burning Hands!

Damage: (1d4+4)[8] to both stirges, DC 15 Reflex for half

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

For a heartbeat, Turnok's head glances towards the mess beneath him. "What? Why? No." Eschewing the shard (for he has no idea of its significance or value), he flings another javelin at the offending vermin.

Spoiler: Turnok, round 2
    Show
    M Neutral (G) Half-Orc (Shoanti-raised) Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Klar +5 (1d6+4, x2)

standard action to fling! (2x javelins remaining)
    (1d20+3)[17] javelin (50' range increment) __________ (1d20+3)[14] CC (23, x2)
    (1d6+4)[6] damage _____________________ (1d6+4)[6] bonus critical damage

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Darius, being able to move swiftly in the sludge due to his skill in all water, will move towards the enemy leader he knocked down and attempt to grab at her. "Please, lay down your arms miss. I have no real desire to hurt you more then necessary."

Spoiler: Round 2 actions
    Show

Darius is going to move up to her when he can and try to grapple her if the water is high enough to inhibit movement, that's even better for him since his swim speed affords him the ability to ignore that inhibited movement.

Grapple Check: (1d20+4)[5]

22. - Top - End - #142

BardGuy

Nym's furious flames incinerate the two stirges just as another javelin flies and pins one to the back wall.

Auriferous is just out of reach of the two on the rafters, but a nice downward thrust goes right into the arm of the one thug below him.

The woman registers the ball of water at the last moment and falls straight into the sewage. As the monk moves in on her, she manages to use her agility to get out of his grip. She hollers out, "Goddamnit! Fall back!" She then uses her whip to grab one of the beams and hoists herself up from being prone. Her three men then start to slowly back off and try to make their way out of the run down building.

Most everybody inside can now hear a low continuous crying, but only Nym and Auriferous see that Natalya is now crouching near her stool and crying into her hands.
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2018-03-27 at 05:28 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

As the huge insectoids fall, Turnok surveys a building full of almost entirely sentient beings. He picks up his earthbreaker from where he had dropped it and steps forward, thoroughly blocking the building's exit.

"Hold!" He bears the oversized mace threateningly. "Stay put, and declare yourselves!"

Spoiler: Turnok, round 2
    Show
    Klar +5 (1d6+4, x2)

As stated, move action to pick up earthbreaker
    5-foot step in front of the exit
    ready an action to hammer anyone who tries to force past:
    (1d20+6)[9] earthbreaker attack
    (2d6+6)[18] damage ___________________(4d6+12)[24] crit bonus

I neglected to roll it, but anyone forcing past is also likely to trigger an AoO. Turnok will not pull his punches, here.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As the rogue leader goes to pull back, Darius doesn't strike at the opening she leaves. Happy enough to have the enemy retreating, he turns to the others. "So, I seemed to have missed a few things while I was downstairs, can one of you catch me up?"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Nym takes a moment to appreciate the sight of the roasted stirges, and frowns over in Natalya's direction as she realizes she's crying. She doesn't move to stop any fleeing combatants - not that she really could, without using arcane force, instead brushing herself off and considering how to deal with the situation. For a moment, she glances awkwardly between her and Auriferous, giving him a vague nod towards her before going to climb down. As Darius asks about what happened, she puts a finger to her lips, then points to where the Shard of Pride lies. "That's what we're here for," she says quietly.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2018-03-28 at 02:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Darius nods towards Nym, and makes his way toward where the shard is and reaches into the water for it, feeling around until he can find it.

Spoiler: Find/pick up the shard
    Show

Not sure if I need the perception if Nym knows right where it is and can point it out, but just in case. Also assuming once I pick it up, i'll need to roll a will save, so went ahead and did that too.
    Perception: (1d20+12)[22]
    Will Save: (1d20+5)[17]

27. - Top - End - #147

SwashbucklerGuy

As his foe turns away, Auriferous sees an opening and takes another thrust at the fleeing goon. He watches the enemies retreat and his allies let them flee. It's unfortunate he was using a pseudonym at the moment, it would have been nice for them to spread his name.

He catches Nym's nod and rushes over to Natalya, yelling at her guards who nearby.

"Well what are you standing around for get them!! No one attacks the Grand Mastaba and gets away with it!" He yells with the authority of one who expects to be followed. He kneels next to Natalya and places his hand on her back, "Easy there, your alright, I've got you." he turns back to the guards "And bring one back alive! I want to know who is responsible for this!"

28. - Top - End - #148

BardGuy

Natalya's two thugs almost bump into each other but manage to pull themselves together with Auriferous' orders. One grabs a couple goblins to chase after the two thugs and their leader who retreat across the rafter and out the hole they had originally made in the attic to get in. The second however manages to get ahold of the one thug on the lower level that was repeatedly stabbed by Auriferous. The goblins scurry into the sewer pipes, slipping in one after the other.

Darius finds the shard rather quickly in the sludge-water, and he gets the feeling that it wanted to be picked up.

Only the thug that was captured eventually answers the inherently intimidating Half-Orc. "We were just mercs....If you really wanna know my name, call me Shtick."

Auriferous tries to calm Natalya, which helps to a small degree. She at least holds her head up enough to look him in the eyes. "I...I...I don't know why....All I wanted was to make some gold....I r-r-ruined...my entire life...."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Darius picks up the shard and stares at it for a few moments, turning it over while he see's it for the first time. Then, he tucks it into his pouch and turns towards the group. "Well, looks like whatever power was on them is gone now, so lets get Natalya here back to the lodge. She's safer there then on the streets, and I'm sure the Captain of the Lodge will have some questions for her. I, for one, am going to head back so I can get clean." With that, he'll head towards the stairs and start to make his way down and to the exit where he'll wait expectantly for the others to follow.

30. - Top - End - #150

SwashbucklerGuy

"Hey, no, you'll be fine, it's not many people who can overcome the power of such an artifact. We will get you back on your feet, you have my word." Auriferous says, putting on his award winning smile. "We are not quite out of this yet, so I need you to stand up and be strong for just a little longer."

Auriferous helps the poor woman to her feet, turning to the prisoner, his countenance changing within seconds. "Alright Shtick, tell the Grand Mastaba who hired you!"

Show
    Really want to channel some wormtongue right now!