The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

*: I needed a Mrlssi-friendly phrase meaning "to kill two birds with one stone".
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks, considering you're roleplaying as an anthropomorphic cat online, with a bunch of other people roleplaying as an anthropomorphic fish, bird, camel, and cat.
    I don't watch the CGI Clone Wars cartoon, so I created Shyar just based on the picture from Galaxy at War. I didn't even find out about the CGI version until some time after joining.

Not really sure about it, TBH. The "humans with spikes stuck to their faces" niche is already filled by the Zabrak and Devaronians, but I don't care for CG cartoon's visuals much, including the Zygerrian model.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    This is one weird-ass group, that's for sure. Everyone, please do try to bring in the physical and cultural elements of your chosen race from time to time. It's much more rewarding (for everyone).
    The Zygerrian's wookiepedia entry is pretty much just slavery all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    *: I needed a Mrlssi-friendly phrase meaning "to kill two birds with one stone".
    Normally I refer to this this list for SW-friendly idioms, but when I looked for killing 2 birds with one stone, I got... kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    *skims IC thread*

Zavi wasn't invited to dinner?
    What's the problem? Camels only need to eat like once a month or something.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2018-10-10 at 01:29 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    I don't watch the CGI Clone Wars cartoon, so I created Shyar just based on the picture from Galaxy at War. I didn't even find out about the CGI version until some time after joining.

Not really sure about it, TBH. The "humans with spikes stuck to their faces" niche is already filled by the Zabrak and Devaronians, but I don't care for CG cartoon's visuals much, including the Zygerrian model.
    One of the weirdest changes in Clone Wars has to be...everything with the Darthomirians. Asajj Ventress had a whole race made for her (Rattataki), and then it turns out she's not that, but a Darthomorian, which are a human-zabrak hybrid race where the men all look like zabrak and the women all look like humans.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

The speech color is kind of a pain for me since I do most of my posting from my phone. A darker color would be better.
    I've permanently switched to a medium green which I hope is working better.

Don't sweat the Wizbam overlap, I was aware of it before you joined and it will be addressed the next time the party meets him.
    Oh yeah, I figure it'll be interesting meeting another outlier.

This is one weird-ass group, that's for sure. Everyone, please do try to bring in the physical and cultural elements of your chosen race from time to time. It's much more rewarding (for everyone).
    Physical will certainly come up a lot for Jhriss - he's pretty tiny, after all, makes for fun jokes. Culturally...Jhriss is very different from most Mrlssi, with the exception of his fascination with the social sciences (which is much more on-par for his race). A lot of his approach to business is gonna involve a layer of applied economics, psychology, and sociology which will show off the "egghead birdbrain" side of things.

EDIT: I've barely seen anything of the newer CG shows, but one of the only bits I've seen has one of the best badass lines I've ever heard:

Ezra (wannabe jedi): "I'm not afraid of you!"

Vader: "Then you will die braver than most."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-10-10 at 02:19 PM.
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

5. - Top - End - #365

Hoo boy. Nothing like the Sith to liven up a purge survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    EDIT: I've barely seen anything of the newer CG shows, but one of the only bits I've seen has one of the best badass lines I've ever heard:

Ezra (wannabe jedi): "I'm not afraid of you!"

Vader: "Then you will die braver than most."
    Aye, that's from Rebels. They made the lightsabers really thin for that series. It's kinda neat.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2018-10-10 at 05:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Whoiam, please update your sheet with everything discussed / added to the bg.

Also want to confirm you're not planning on formally joining the Syndicate straight away?
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Two things we need to address:

1. Gial and Shyar have some assets they acquired that the other players didnít assist with: a weapons cache and some blackmail information. They are each potentially worth a lot. Any suggestions how we should handle this and be fair to everyone?

2. I was pondering a system for running the Syndicate like a business, with random stufff happening etc, but the more I think about it, I think Itís more trouble than its worth, and Iím planning to cut it down to the six business lines and ratings, and the current issues facing them / the party. This would be updated periodically.

Iím also going to split the credits and/or assets into legitimate and black market. Black market credits can _only_ be used to buy things on the black market, until the money is laundered, which will cost a percentage of the cash and take time (and opens it up to risk of being stolen / confiscated).

That leaves me the flexibility to adjust things how I want and keeps down the risk of a homebrew system going out of control.

Thoughts and feedback welcome.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-10-12 at 04:39 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #368

Would Kikari benefit from being made aware of the weapons cache/blackmail information? Is it used for a particular mechanic we're using or is it just "this is a resource you can use for money"?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Would Kikari benefit from being made aware of the weapons cache/blackmail information? Is it used for a particular mechanic we're using or is it just "this is a resource you can use for money"?
    Eh, maybe? Depends on the circumstances.

These aren't the results of mechanics; they're direct results of player actions.

Weapons cache:
    The GT had raided Wizbam's workshop and confiscated his wares and had them stored in the Ferrmore vaults on Titan 1. When the Kalatar were in the process of annexing the station, the party (going off the rails) busted into the vaults and stole components for turbolasers. They're worth a lot
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 boxes (iirc): "Each box contains 12 sets of cooling sleeves and energy cyclers; critical components for heavy turbolasers. The remainder of the parts to put together a heavy turbolaser are relatively easy to obtain, being the power cables, high density composite durasteel, industrial strength capacitors, etc... all items which could be used for other purposes and which are not restricted by the sanctions imposed by the GT. More than two thirds of the cost of a heavy turbolaser is tied up in the energy cyclers and cooling sleeves.

Each box also contains six of what Gial determines to be specialized targeting chips, and six sets of state of the art capacitors. The targeting chips will allow the turbolasers to more effectively track enemy ships, and the extra capacitors will augment the turbolasers' firepower. With a decent amount of technical knowhow, a mechanic would be able to install one or the other onto a heavy turbolaser."
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=145
    , especially as both the Kalatar and the Muiridons are looking to rearm their fleets. Wizbam would be interested as well considering they were originally his. And the GT is of course interested in where the missing contraband went.

The Kalatar have video recordings of who was in the vaults but they haven't shared with the GT; they're looking to recover the parts themselves.

The party hid the parts in the asteroid belt between Muiridon and Kalatar. After a certain period of time, it becomes harder to find it, until its lost forever.

Blackmail:
    The blackmail information is on former Governor Lam of Yaris, who collaborated with One Sith remnants to instigate an insurgency and uprising on Yaris. Specifically it is recordings of his conversations with their representative and a record of the actions he took leading up to the coup. A lot of people died, Kalatar, Muiridon, GT, and a humanitarian crisis was nearly sparked when the food stores were attacked during the uprising. Lam's whereabouts are currently unknown but he used his position for years to siphon the profits of the colony to line his own pockets. That, a record of his real estate holdings, and payoffs from the One Sith remnants, suggest he would be able to afford a sizable hush fee. He also has a wife and daughter on Coruscant, where his daughter attends a prestigious university.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-10-12 at 07:45 AM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #370

Ah, I see. I don't (And Kikari doesn't) mind not getting a share of those. She's mostly going to want information, favors, resources, and so on, that'll help her find her friend. That stuff is only useful for her insofar as her role working with the Syndicate, and if it's relevant to her role working with the Syndicate, she'll probably get it anyway.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I see. I don't (And Kikari doesn't) mind not getting a share of those. She's mostly going to want information, favors, resources, and so on, that'll help her find her friend. That stuff is only useful for her insofar as her role working with the Syndicate, and if it's relevant to her role working with the Syndicate, she'll probably get it anyway.
    The main issue is party balance. Two characters getting access to over a million credits while the other three don't can cause balance issues. Likewise, taking it away is not really fair, since the players and characters went through a lot to win their spoils (and they come with plot strings attached which could come back to haunt them). A third alternative, forcing it to be classified as party loot and split evenly, strains suspension of disbelief.

So far what I'm coming up with is requiring something to be done to get access to the credits, for which the entire party needs to work for. Then an even split becomes more IG realistic.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #372

Hmm. How would it affect balance? I figure those funds aren't being used for, like, armor and weapons and stuff. Is it a matter of how much monetary influence we have?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

If they actually redeemed those funds, they probably *would* be used for armour and weapons and stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

14. - Top - End - #374

If they actually redeemed those funds, they probably *would* be used for armour and weapons and stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.
    I guess I could buy a bodyguard droid or something.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

For a million credits, think more 'heavy weapons', 'tanks' or 'space ships'.

On another note, where does Kikari keep her lightsaber?

16. - Top - End - #376

Kikari has no use for a tank or space ship.

She keeps it in a concealed holster. Probably using what's apparently called a "bra carry".

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*grin* Zavi does!

Anyway, wanna roll Stealth vs Perception to see if Zavi can spot the lightsaber? Although I think that one's weighted a lot in Zavi's favour, since Kikari doesn't have a very high Stealth check...

18. - Top - End - #378

Stealth: (1d20+6)[11]

Also, TIL that Concealed Holsters don't make it easier to conceal a weapon.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

TIL?

Something of a formality at this point, but Perception: (1d20+19)[30]

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. How would it affect balance? I figure those funds aren't being used for, like, armor and weapons and stuff. Is it a matter of how much monetary influence we have?
    Once the player characters have the credits, they can do what they want with them. Like spend them on customized droids. You can build some serious firepower with enough credits, and it becomes a problem if some players command all the firepower of a group.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #381

Uhhh. How can Zavvi tell it's a lightsaber? I'm pretty sure noticing it lets you notice the bulge, not the exact item.

TIL is Today I Learned.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2018-10-12 at 09:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*shrug* As far as I remember, the wording is just 'you find the object', there's no details on how much information you get. That said, Zavi (who has trained with lightsabers) saw a lightsaber-size-and-shaped bulge in Kikari's clothing and guessed it was a lightsaber.

She's basically using a cold reading trick - you keep guessing until you get something right, and keep clustering the guesses around your 'hits' so the success rate improves. Most people quickly forget how many 'failed' guesses you had to start with once they're convinced of your magical mind reading powers.

As to why Zavi would have learned to do a cold reading... it's to hide the fact she's capable of actual telepathy.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Two things we need to address:

1. Gial and Shyar have some assets they acquired that the other players didnít assist with: a weapons cache and some blackmail information. They are each potentially worth a lot. Any suggestions how we should handle this and be fair to everyone?
    I've thought about this. A million credits is not that game breaking. Unlike, say, D&D and its magic items, Star Wars is not a very gear-dependent game. Without armor, I have a hard time spending more than about 50K on personal equipment. The rest will go to large capital expenditures like ships, which will benefit the whole party anyway.

Obviously, the proper IC response is to tell the newbies to get stuffed. But both Shyar and Gial are poor negotiators, so bringing in Jhriss to help move the turbolasers makes sense. If he sells them for at least 50% more than what Shyar and Gial could have managed on their own, we come out ahead. And there's enough factions involved that something could conceivably happen that would need all hands on deck to sort out, and which point it's a lot harder to shut them out.

The blackmail is more resistant to an in-game solution, since all it takes is a space e-mail and a bank transfer.

Stealth: [roll0]

Also, TIL that Concealed Holsters don't make it easier to conceal a weapon.
    They make concealed weapons easier to draw, if you take a penalty on the concealment. Which is all conveniently in the errata.

Also, the lightsaber's size is worth a bonus. One of the Jedi Counseling articles suggested counting a deactivated lightsaber as one size smaller for the purposes of checks made to hide it, so that's a +5.

TIL?

Something of a formality at this point, but Perception: [roll0]
    TIL=Today I Learned

After being outed by her boss, Zavi tosses the medical scanner on the table... and attempts a pout.

"Why shouldn't I sell myself short? Do you tell strangers all your secrets so readily? But, fine, you outed me, so, yes, Daddy was a Jedi, didn't hand me over to the order, turns out not to have been the best move 'cause he couldn't train a mynock to chew cables. But I picked up a few bits and pieces despite his inept instruction.

Wasn't lying about the piloting or the medicine, though. I really am good at both.
    "

Then she retrieved her medical equipment and started packing it up again. "And no, I'm not really injured. Had plenty of time to patch myself up on the way here. Just trying to get the Zavi=Medic thing stuck in their minds, before someone decided to blab 'She's Force Sensitive! She's Force Sensitive!' instead."
    Is it possible for non-Humans to have the Skywalker bloodline? Because Zavi's sure acting like one.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

24. - Top - End - #384

@whoiam: "Other characters may notice a concealed object with a successful Perception check".

I want to know whether it's legit that everyone can notice a bulge on Kikari and know she has a lightsaber, because then concealing it is useless and I have to find some other way for her to hide her identity. I might do that, actually.

They make concealed weapons easier to draw, if you take a penalty on the concealment. Which is all conveniently in the errata.

Also, the lightsaber's size is worth a bonus. One of the Jedi Counseling articles suggested counting a deactivated lightsaber as one size smaller for the purposes of checks made to hide it, so that's a +5.
    Aye, but there's also a -5 for the Concealed Holster so it evens out to +6.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2018-10-12 at 10:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Is it possible for non-Humans to have the Skywalker bloodline? Because Zavi's sure acting like one.
    Feel free to tease her about it Zavi'll calm down a little once she gets more comfortable being herself around the party.

"Other characters may notice a concealed object with a successful Perception check".

I want to know whether it's legit that everyone can notice a bulge on Kikari and know she has a lightsaber, because then concealing it is useless and I have to find some other way for her to hide her identity.
    Hey, there's a reason why concealed weapons are usually stuff like tiny knives or holdout blasters. Without the size bonuses they just get spotted too easily.

Kikari's got a droid, right? Fit it with a cargo compartment. She doesn't need to carry the saber herself unless she's expecting trouble.

26. - Top - End - #386

@Thundercracker: May I switch some items around to buy a secret compartment in Kikari's cane, please?

Hey, there's a reason why concealed weapons are usually stuff like tiny knives or holdout blasters. Without the size bonuses they just get spotted too easily.

Kikari's got a droid, right? Fit it with a cargo compartment. She doesn't need to carry the saber herself unless she's expecting trouble.
    A lightsaber is Diminutive. It has a size bonus, it's just countered by the Holster.

I'd rather Kikari carry it herself, 'cause her droid is a tiny thing less likely to be allowed in places than...well, her. Also, keeping her two most precious things together is a no-no.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

@Thundercracker: May I switch some items around to buy a secret compartment in Kikari's cane, please?

A lightsaber is Diminutive. It has a size bonus, it's just countered by the Holster.

I'd rather Kikari carry it herself, 'cause her droid is a tiny thing less likely to be allowed in places than...well, her. Also, keeping her two most precious things together is a no-no.
    Yes sure.

If you play your cards right, you will have stuff that needs a crapton of credits to do, so... we'll see how it plays out I guess.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #388

Thank you kindly! I just made the cane cost 50cr, so, it's...sturdy? I don't know what makes a good cane.

For the sake of this scene, I'll say that Kikari was keeping it in a holster 'cause she only recently got the cane.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, I was about to make a suggestion there. Why not say you don't have the compartment yet? It's something we could get Gial to make for you once Zavi points out she can spot the saber in the concealed holster... (I could also edit that last post if you wanted the saber to be hidden in the cane retroactively, since no-one's replied to it yet...)

30. - Top - End - #390

Can Gial do that? And how quickly?
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2018-10-12 at 11:34 AM.