The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    The intent was to use thermal detonators to clear an LZ.
    Right. Nevermind, then.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-22 at 04:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Do you want to do that now or later? If youíre doing it now, where is the LZ going to be?
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That's going to be on an as-needed basis. Since I can't predict when or where we'll need to GTFO.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, we all good to go?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Is there anything around (or scavengeable from something) that could be used to fashion some additional protection for the landspeeder's passengers? Durasteel sheets, or something like that.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-24 at 06:41 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    Is there anything around (or scavengeable from something) that could be used to fashion some additional protection for the landspeeder's passengers? Durasteel sheets, or something like that.
    Youíre worried about being exposed in an open air speeder? Yes, you can rip some siding off the hangar to provide passengers with cover. Honestly Iím not going to be having people take pot shots at passengers. If youíre in a vehicle, thatís whatís going to be targeted (for the most part).
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I was thinking of using the landspeeder plus a torpedo launcher and/or a blaster cannon to have a higly mobile, heavy firepower unit that could withstand some small-caliber (low-powered?) fire, but I don't want the gunner(s) to be completely exposed (because that would defeat the point).

Do I have to roll something?
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-24 at 08:01 AM.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking of using the landspeeder plus a torpedo launcher and/or a blaster cannon to have a higly mobile, heavy firepower unit that could withstand some small-caliber (low-powered?) fire, but I don't want the gunner(s) to be completely exposed (because that would defeat the point).

Do I have to roll something?
    No, itís fine. Though a civilian landspeeder wonít be able to stand up to the vehicle weapons so it might be a mobile death trap in the case of a lucky roll. Same with the air speeder.
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Of course, of course. It's not supposed to trade shots, but for hit and run tactics, not unlike using the launchers while on foot - but it's more mobile, and should be able to provide some measure of protection from infantry. All the better if we manage to find someone with Vehicular Combat...Vy and the other two soldiers are taking the heavy weapons anyway, does one of them have it?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately no, none of them have vehicular combat.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Too bad. Well then, I suppose either Wyn or Shyar can pilot, since I think they both picked up training and aren't proficient with heavy weapons. What do you say, guys?

Or we can drop the idea, but, unless I failed to consider something, this seems to have a lot of benefits with the only drawback being having someone stuck with pilloting instead of attacking directly.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Bad idea. Soft-skin civilian vehicles have a dismal track record against any sort of actual armor. Vehicle weapons outrange even Heavy hand-held weapon by a factor of over 2 to 1, so you'd need terrain masking to even get close enough to shoot without being blown out of the sky. And even then, there's no telling if you'll get within point blank, so you're taking a worse shot than you would from the ground. Saga has no facing, so attacking from above doesn't get you weaker armor or prevent the main guns from blowing your butt away.

That's why I want to use the airspeeder for recon, because you can do that without entering weapon range.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hmm. That's true. Alright then, we're good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I assume the range thing means one of you will be taking the laser targeter (or whatever it's called), not Gial.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There's like four of them, right? Everybody gets one. Just clip it to your blaster.

And we split the grenades too. IIRC there was 100 frags? There's nine on the ground, so 10 frag grenades apiece, one thermal detonator, with an extra for each of the PCs, and two smoke cans per person.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Moving this forward now.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm on a trip until Sunday. I'll try to post when I get the chance, but that'll presumably be tonight at the earliest.

Gial will take the airspeeder by himself, anyway (right, Random?).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

And Stealth because I forgot. (1d20+15)[32] - any modifier for the airspeeder.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as Gial starts gaining some altitude, it becomes apparent very quickly that the combination of clouds, ash and haze, and plumes of smoke from the fires significantly cut down visibility, to between 1000 and 2000 feet depending on wind. If he wants to get close enough to scope out the enemy forces, heía going to have to get close enough where they could take a shot at him.

He thinks he should be able to get at least one flyby before they realize whatís going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    you can take 10 to land on the road as long as nobodyís shooting at you. Itís a perception check and then depending on what you roll youíll see some percentage of the enemy.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alright then, let's try one flyby. Perception (1d20+14)[27]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

How close do you want the troops to get? You donít hear any tanks so itís a fair bet theyíre a ways back.

He closer they get the better the chances they will spot you, and you lose the element of surprise. It also means they have less ground to move to get around your cover.

He longer you wait though, the more of them will be in sight for the surprise round, so you can potentially do more damage.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-04-07 at 11:19 PM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The plan is to open fire at somewhere between 30 to 50 squares, depending on how cooperative the geography was to setting up the ambushes. That's 150 to 250 feet.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gial is going to remain in the air, out of sight until bullets (well, lasers, whatever) start flying around.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Gial is going to remain in the air, out of sight until bullets (well, lasers, whatever) start flying around.
    Okie dokie. Then what?
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm thinking about a second recon flyby when the rebels' attention is focused on the engagement. After that, I don't know, maybe drop some grenades on them.

Gial's direct contribution to the fight will likely be nil until the tanks trip the mines.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking about a second recon flyby when the rebels' attention is focused on the engagement. After that, I don't know, maybe drop some grenades on them.

Gial's direct contribution to the fight will likely be nil until the tanks trip the mines.
    Cool.

Alright, Iím going to move things forward faster now. You have 24 hours to post after the enemy moves, otherwise I reserve the right to move for you to keep the combat flowing. If you want to delegate your actions to another player or give outlines of what you want to do, thatís cool

Right now you need to decide whether to open fire or wait for the enemy to get closer.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The plan is to open fire at somewhere between 30 to 50 squares, depending on how cooperative the geography was to setting up the ambushes. That's 150 to 250 feet.
    And the only change to the plan right now is that we can hang around for a couple of turns instead of having to flee before the tanks blow the crap out of us.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

And the only change to the plan right now is that we can hang around for a couple of turns instead of having to flee before the tanks blow the crap out of us.
    Theyíre at 250 feet now. Beyond 300 feet the road bends and thereís a lot more cover from trees and rocks, but between you and the militia there are only a few small curves, so theyíre pretty exposed whole on the road.

Wait or shoot?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-04-14 at 09:18 AM.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

How good is their formation discipline? Are they bunched up enough to nail two or more of them at once with autofire? And what are they armed with? Just blasters, or do they have heavy weapons too?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

How good is their formation discipline? Are they bunched up enough to nail two or more of them at once with autofire? And what are they armed with? Just blasters, or do they have heavy weapons too?
    It looks like one soldier in each group is carrying some kind of projectile explosive weapon, like a rocket launcher. The rest are carrying blaster rifles.

There isnít that much of a formation. Theyíre sort of meandering up the road while looking around for ambushes or traps. You can definitely hit two or three or four at a time with autofire.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-04-14 at 11:46 AM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Each group being what? The first set of 12 we saw, and the second set of 12, for two heavy weapons total?

Regardless, set blasters to auto and wait for the bulk of the first wave to hit 150.