The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

Trying to figure out what the scope of the operation we've inherited is.

She's also trying to call and warn Gial to be careful about getting his face on camera, but Haz seemed to ignore the call and IDK where the two timelines are in relation to each other.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I completely missed you were trying to get in touch with us! Sorry

Gial has the scrambler, though, so as soon as we figure out how the timelines interlock you can call him directly.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    I completely missed you were trying to get in touch with us! Sorry

Gial has the scrambler, though, so as soon as we figure out how the timelines interlock you can call him directly.
    You guys can assume youíre lined up with each other time wise.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I thought Kikari had the scrambler for some reason, but the call's been made.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alright, edited in an answer.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The original proposal was that Zavi and Kikari would send each other a quick telepathic message as a 'your safe to pick up this call, we're in the clear' signal... but it was Zavi and Gial who had the scramblers.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Makin some rolls:

(2d20)[10][2](12)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #908
    Colossus in the Playground

I can't believe Shyar almost got fingered. I thought this was a family game.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    I can't believe Shyar almost got fingered. I thought this was a family game.
    Itís the kind of family game where your father is a mass murderer whose boss is a megalomaniac, and he tries to kill you, then cuts off your arm only for you to repay the favor a few years later, then you try to murder your nephew in his sleep.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Reading that description, it's kinda a shame this isn't the game I'm playing a terrorist pirate's daughter in

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

On Coruscant, are you guys going to wait for the meeting?
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Unless a better idea comes up, yeah, that or until we see someone that seems to be headed for the meeting (whichever happens first).

We're completely in the dark about the other party, so I don't think trying to pose as them is wise. Mind Trick only works on one target at a time, right?

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There's a Force Technique that lets you use a full-round action to make it a 6-square cone.

What time is it on Zoccom? I'm wondering Shyar and Zavi should get some rest before moving on to the next order of business.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    There's a Force Technique that lets you use a full-round action to make it a 6-square cone.

What time is it on Zoccom? I'm wondering Shyar and Zavi should get some rest before moving on to the next order of business.
    It is nearing midnight on Zoccom.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Just as an FYI, most conlinks donít have screens, so after this encounter, unless someone has a specialized comlink or theyíve hooked it up somehow to a datapad, comlinks are voice only.

At any rate Anfopor is either focused on the meeting and doesnít notice his comlink, or he ignores it, youíre not sure which.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In the (legends) novels, at least, datapads are shown to have some kind of wireless networking capability (even if they don't have the range of comlinks on their own). Linking them to a comlink really shouldn't be much more difficult than getting a RL mobile phone to share it's mobile connection with your tablet.

...The big issue, of course, is that texting wouldn't work too well unless the person on the other end had done the same thing.

That said, having a Text-to-Speech program running on the datapad might be a nice means of anonymising a voice call...

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    In the (legends) novels, at least, datapads are shown to have some kind of wireless networking capability (even if they don't have the range of comlinks on their own). Linking them to a comlink really shouldn't be much more difficult than getting a RL mobile phone to share it's mobile connection with your tablet.

...The big issue, of course, is that texting wouldn't work too well unless the person on the other end had done the same thing.

That said, having a Text-to-Speech program running on the datapad might be a nice means of anonymising a voice call...
    Mostly I want to avoid everyone texting each other all the time because itís not very starwarsy. In the movies most personal communication is done by voice comlink, or holo transmission. Wireless wasnít really a thing when the movies were made, which is why R2 needs to plug in to transmit data, and why they needed to plug threepio into the Falcon to figure out what was wrong with the hyperdrive.

Text transmissions I can think of were submission of the clearance code to go down to Endor, but that was ship to ship, and the datapads as far as I know were mostly used on bases or ships, not between two individuals.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The instance that sticks out in my mind is in the Wraith Squadron books, where Wes Jansen is shown sending data files directly from his datapad to Wedge's. It's depicted more along the lines of file-sharing via Bluetooth or an ad-hoc Wifi Network, not texting via the mobile network.

It makes sense that you could use those functions to transmit text over comlinks - albeit more 'transmit text files back and forth' than 'fire up whatsapp'. I'd guess that in terms of technical complexity, it's around the same level as hooking up scramblers to a pair of comlinks to have a private call. But much like the scramblers, it's clearly not the standard use of the comlinks, so something that both parties need to have prepared for in advance.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ah, gotcha. Though I'm pretty sure the party members sent text to one another in some occasions, so am I safe to assume that at least our commlinks have the capability? (For future reference)

In other news...didn't Kikari steal the pearl in the first place by phasing through the safe's door/wall? Can she just, like, phase inside, grab the pearl, and phase outside?

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    Ah, gotcha. Though I'm pretty sure the party members sent text to one another in some occasions, so am I safe to assume that at least our commlinks have the capability? (For future reference)

In other news...didn't Kikari steal the pearl in the first place by phasing through the safe's door/wall? Can she just, like, phase inside, grab the pearl, and phase outside?
    What we can say is Gial rigged up some stuff while the party was holed up, so sure. Try to keep in mind though that the vast majority of comlinks donít have this capability. If you want to slice a computer or access the holonet, you will need access to a port or the servers.

Theoretically yes, you could do that. Phase in, grab the item, phase out. It would take two turns unless Iím missing something, which means everyone in the room might have a chance to react before she goes through the wall.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #921

Kikari could do it in one turn if the pearl or its container are close enough to a floor or ceiling for Kikari to grab without entering.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hmm, well, the pearl's on a table, so more or less at waist height. Don't know if that's low enough.

Also, how much control do I have over Anfopor's commlink? Would it be possible to make it overload and blow up the battery? I think it'd make for a neat distraction.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Kikari could do it in one turn if the pearl or its container are close enough to a floor or ceiling for Kikari to grab without entering.
    You still have to stop to pick it up, and you have to be able to see it to pick it up. Also phase doesn't give you the ability to fly, just to walk through solid objects.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #924

What I meant was, well, the method described in Kikari's backstory. Kikari herself stays stationary, but she phases through the object to grab the pearl. The rest of her body doesn't play a part, because the pearl would be close enough that she wouldn't need to go all the way inside. Obviously, doesn't work in this scenario unless there's a room below and something right under the ceiling she could stand on without being crushed.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

What I meant was, well, the method described in Kikari's backstory. Kikari herself stays stationary, but she phases through the object to grab the pearl. The rest of her body doesn't play a part, because the pearl would be close enough that she wouldn't need to go all the way inside. Obviously, doesn't work in this scenario unless there's a room below and something right under the ceiling she could stand on without being crushed.
    Slightly different scenarios. The main being there are a number of ppl watching what happens with the Pearl right now, as opposed to it being unattended. You can still grab it but youíre almost certain to be seen.

No hyperbolic, you canít remotely overload other pplís comlinks, unless you sabotage them beforehand by inserting a bomb or something.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #926

Questions! Who are we retrieving the Krayt Dragon Pearl for?

Are there any Jedi in the room?

Is that Jedi we met aware that we're after it?

'Cause Kikari definitely doesn't want to make a blatant show of using the Force, lest she get Jedi attention, if it's likely here.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Questions! Who are we retrieving the Krayt Dragon Pearl for?
    The Syndicate.

Are there any Jedi in the room?
    Not that we know of, but maybe you can try to sense the Force or something.

Is that Jedi we met aware that we're after it?
    Yes, but the only ones who should witness the use of the Force should be those in the room, and the cameras are off.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-24 at 01:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928

Hmm.I'm struggling to come up with a clean-ish plan here, because I don't think staying in a room filled with a bunch of hostiles is viable, even for one round and if I spend a Force Point on Initiative.

Could I go above the room, use Phase and a move action to fall through the floor, have my droid grab the container the pearl is in, then use another Move action to fall through that floor? I can't imagine either are larger than ten feet thick.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

let me know if you guys want some hints.

Hazuki yes that could potentially work, but youíd have to hope you fall into the room again in a spot your droid could grab the pearl as itís not stationary , (or that you even find the right room, itís tough to gauge exactly where you are on a different floor). and that itís unattended. And that theyíre all even still in the room when you do it. Also you donít currently know whatís above the function rooms. Could be guest rooms or something else. Plus since the meeting is now currently in progress, thereís a time constraint as well.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-07-24 at 08:01 PM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

No, work has just been really harsh lately.