The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Hold it, when did the other tanks show up? I thought it was just the one damaged tank visible.

And what happened to the surprise round? We're way too ridiculously outgunned to exchange fire. And what happened to initiative?
    Two rear tanks moved up while the smoke was in place. Surprise round happened way in the beginning, no more surprise rounds since they know pretty much where you are. Maybe if you can break combat and move back to the 2nd warehouse (and the detonite), you can ambush them again.

Yes, you are definitely ridiculously outgunned, but the tanks and militia are going to be slowed down by the minefield, so youíre not trapped (unless you get hemmed in by that remaining air transport).

You guys went first and now weíre alternating, no need for initiative.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-10 at 10:38 PM.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

But we did break contact, smoke cloud and all.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

But we did break contact, smoke cloud and all.
    That is true, but everyone is aware of each otherís presence. I think the most fair thing to do is to have no surprise rounds for this little lull in the battle.

Iím not sure why this is a big deal; it works in your favor. You automatically win initiative, the enemy doesnít get a chance to surprise you and win initiative. I would think thatís a good thing.

At this point realistically you have a few options:
    1. Stand and fight another round to wipe out as many militia as possible while theyíre bogged down in the minefield, and hope you have built enough cover to resist the tanks main guns while youíre doing it. Hope there are no more natural 20ís.
    2. Fall back through the woods (using the speeder to transport the wounded to be patched up at the mansion so they can keep fighting).
    3. Shoot down the remaining air transport before it can do whatever itís planning to do (probably drop off troops somewhere behind you). Maybe Gial can lean out the door and drop a thermal detonator on it or something.
    4. Retcon the last round (where your allies rolled a natural 20 and two 19ís to stop the lead tank before it could shoot at you), and we do checks for surprise and initiative.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Iím not sure why this is a big deal; it works in your favor. You automatically win initiative, the enemy doesnít get a chance to surprise you and win initiative. I would think thatís a good thing.
    Not really. It's hard to be surprised by or lose initiative to full-on tanks, which typically have negative modifiers in both skills.

I was counting on was picking off the enemy troops from a series of ambushes, because trading five bolts for every one is a losing proposition. This is a really bad time to discover I can't, especially since there's at least twice as many enemies as I planned for.

What's done is done, I guess. I just have a couple Qs going forward.

Would you allow using personal weaponry to be used in a character-scale dogfight? Because I bet the size+DEX modifiers are tilted way in Gial's favor if he swoops in on that speeder that got by.

Second, how wide is this road? I'd like to track the lead tank to trap the other two behind it, but that obviously doesn't work if the rear vehicles can just drive around it. And it would require allowing us to make called shots to the running gear, which isn't normally supported.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2018-05-13 at 03:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Npc initiative happens as a group, to make it possible to do pbp combat without bogging the game down.

The lack of intel on the enemy is mostly due to not scouting the approaching force until they were already under cover on the plateau. This was a player decision and having an unknown strength and composition of opposition definitely makes a fight more unpredictable.

Gial canít really engage the transport in a dogfight as neither ship has weapons. They canít shoot at him though so he basically gets free attacks on them if he wants. Theyíre not very beefy so character scale weapons can take them down.

The road is wide enough for 3 tanks abreast (barely), so no real way to block them by knocking out one.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-13 at 06:29 PM.
    TC for short

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I suppose I could try to shoot the transport's engines. However,it's not flying very high, so getting close enough would put me within sight range of the tanks, right?
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    I suppose I could try to shoot the transport's engines. However,it's not flying very high, so getting close enough would put me within sight range of the tanks, right?
    Since theyíre now moving behind the players, there is a sweet spot where you could see the transports but not see the players or tanks.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That's why dogfighting would be great. You could pin it in place to keep it from unloading while chiseling it with your blaster. I don't really see why the rules require you to use a mounted weapon for the attack. One of the scout troopers pulled his sidearm when he couldn't get his lasers to bear.

Tangent: Is it my imagination, or do the first two scout troopers hit the exact same tree?
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2018-05-16 at 10:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

1. Thatís not a dogfight
    2. None of the speeders in RotJ are pinned in place.
    3. Gial can use character scale weapons just like the scout trooper. Iím even giving him a freebie by saying he can drop a thermal detonator on it from up above and not worry so much about the range penalties.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well, Gial's not trained in Pilot anyway. Let's see how the detonator fares.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Who is grabbing the wounded, a bodyguard and a YDF soldier?
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Any two of the bodyguards. Vy's the only one given a name, which leaves me little recourse but use the time-honored "hey, you" when dealing with the others.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Any two of the bodyguards. Vy's the only one given a name, which leaves me little recourse but use the time-honored "hey, you" when dealing with the others.
    Ok. There are two mansion bodyguards with you, one of which is incapacitated. Of the 5 YDF, Vy is one, and one is an injured sniper farther back up the road. The other three are nameless because they all have identical stats and nobodyís asked what their names are and I havenít bothered to come up with them. One of the three nameless YDF is incapacitated. Since the YDF are slightly better than the bodyguards, I assume youíll want to leave the mansion bodyguard behind to drag his buddy onto the speeder, along with one of the YDF to drag _his_ buddy onto the speeder.

That means itís you, Vy, and one more YDF to check out the downed transport (and Wyn if she wants to join). Sound good?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-18 at 10:41 PM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sounds good.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Are the flames all-consuming, or can we still get into the cargo area?

For useful stuff, I'm talking like heavy weapons, grenades, or medpacs.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Are the flames all-consuming, or can we still get into the cargo area?

For useful stuff, I'm talking like heavy weapons, grenades, or medpacs.
    You can still get into it, though no telling if the damn thing will blow up in your face.

The main issue is time. It wonít take long for the tanks to get past the minefield (they may already be there), and from there itís only a few hundred feet to where you are. The risk is getting either re-engaged by the enemy in the woods, or getting stuck below the road and cut off from your fall back position.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Well, it's not like she's rifling for pocket change. Just a quick glance.

Give a pass on booby-trapping the guys in the speeder, though.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What's the prevailing wind direction?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

What's the prevailing wind direction?
    Very light from the north.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Let me know if you want to do anything aside from regroup at the fortifications in front of the 2nd warehouse.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This is the one with the landslide below it, right?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

This is the one with the landslide below it, right?
    Thatís correct. The danger zone is in front the two trench/fortification lines.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shyar's just going to chill and wait for the enemy to enter the falling rock zone.

Those TIEs have to be getting close, right? There was at least five minutes after the first skirmish, and another 10 after the second. That's why she keeps checking her chrono, to see how close they are.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

...Well, as you've probably noticed, I haven't been able to keep up with this game for love nor money recently. And I'll be honest with you, I don't think that situation is going to improve much. I think the best thing for me to do here is just keep up my part as best I can until the end of the battle, and then write Wyn out once the rest of you are out of immediate danger.

Sorry

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    ...Well, as you've probably noticed, I haven't been able to keep up with this game for love nor money recently. And I'll be honest with you, I don't think that situation is going to improve much. I think the best thing for me to do here is just keep up my part as best I can until the end of the battle, and then write Wyn out once the rest of you are out of immediate danger.

Sorry
    Are you _sure_ you want to stay back while everyone else retreats? While I always strive to be fair, I have to warn you that thereís a good chance it will lead to character death or being permanently separated from the rest.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*points at previous post* If I'm leaving the game anyway, neither of those outcomes are much of a deterrent. I'm far more worried that she might not get a shot at their mortars at all than whether the attempt will ultimately kill her.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm going off to rough it tomorrow and may not be able to connect at all until Sunday.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going off to rough it tomorrow and may not be able to connect at all until Sunday.
    Ok thanks for letting us know.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If I Ready an action to drop a grenade on the minesweepers once Gial's above them, can he do a flyby and return above the clouds in a single round?

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    [...] and then write Wyn out once the rest of you are out of immediate danger.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

To be honest with you, doing this feels kinda off to me. I can't remember leaving a PBP game before it died before (not as a player, anyway. I'm far less reliable as a GM, though). But at the same time, through no fault of any of yours, I've been struggling for months against a lack of motivation to keep playing Wyn.

I did think for a bit about asking to change character... but honestly, I've been having motivation issues with a lot of games this year. I just couldn't convince myself that a change of character would fix the problem when the problem seemed most likely to be me.