The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

I can't seem to not botch rolls in this game lately.

Persuasion (1d20+9)[24]
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*Pats shoulder* Hey, you kept your character alive long enough to make the roll - that automatically puts you ahead of me, even if you fluffed one of the roll tags

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well, yeah, staying out of fights is surprisingly effective when it comes to survival.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

To answer the question about memory encryption, 'not very'. 9C40 was a 'recreational' droid at manufacture. A century in a museum followed by a hasty overwrite with some combat protocols added in didn't improve the situation. *grin* Just hope that if her head turns up she'd deleted enough of her memory to keep you from being identifiable before she lost power.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

GM reserves the right to have Wynís Head/memory banks be a relevant plot point some time in the future.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Geez. Wyn was carrying most of our loot, she revealed our plan to the enemies we were fighting, and potentially gave an information windfall to people we really don't want to have it.

I have to hand it to you, whoiam. It's been a while since I've seen a character die in a way that so comprehensively screws the survivors.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In my defence, the situation you're now in isn't all the fault of Wyn's death.

The medical checks are probably a result of Inspector Torr Deputy Inspector Marek having spoken with Wyn at the party - he recognised who she was modelled after, and it's probably not hard to look up that she was one of the more popular early HRD lines.

Chances of the Inspector catching Shyar and Gial go up each time you do something worthy of notice - saving the stores or getting your local help evacuated, say - because sooner or later he's going to see a picture of you 'heroes'. Or, say, sit in on (or watch tapes of) your debriefings.

Getting killed with most of the party loot in Wyn's storage compartment was my bad, though

On a related note, hands up who thinks we've got someone in the setting trying to pull a Palpatine? The Governor knew of the attack but neither attempted to stop it nor to warn the fleet; Someone high ranked in the fleet was determined to let us die in that attack despite the importance of those warehouses not being exactly secret (and this isn't the first counter-productive order we've seen - that would be the ground-level trip through a hostile city); the Rebels seemed to know that the fleet wouldn't reinforce us (and were startled when Cmdr White broke orders to do so), had no interest in getting a mole into a military base despite it housing forces they're in active combat against and are backed by someone that either is a Sith or likes to cosplay as one. Sounds like someone is (or someones are) trying to orchestrate the conflict for their own ends...
    Last edited by whoiam; 2018-07-05 at 05:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Going from "she looks like a dead person" to "she's an android simulacra of a dead person" is a leap of logic so great you'd need a navicomputer to plot it.

The Yaris natives were certainly manipulated. They're obviously supporting the rebels, and I don't doubt the Sith at least nudged the governor towards organizing his diversion.

With the GT, though, I'm going to apply Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. Of course, from our perspective, Clarke's corollary to the razor can be invoked ("sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice").

Aside from the general incompetence that plagues every major government in Star Wars, the task force is being commanded by an FBI agent, not military officers, so I don't expect tactical brilliance.

On top of that, peacekeepers are always saddled by extremely harsh restrictions. Seriously, look up what UN peacekeepers have to put up with sometime.

It's almost like someone knew "peacekeeping mission" is code for "non-stop BS parade" and wanted nothing to do with it.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Going from "she looks like a dead person" to "she's an android simulacra of a dead person" is a leap of logic so great you'd need a navicomputer to plot it.
    Not really. I mean it would be in the real world, but in a setting where that person was a known model for android simulacra and your job entails industrial-grade suspicion and paranoia, the leap to 'we should check this' isn't so massive.

The equivalent would be living in the Terminator world and encountering someone who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger 10 years after judgement day. Yes, people can (and do) look like him, but since he was also the face of a mass-produced line of Terminator you're going to walk them past the dog kennels if you run into one, aren't you?

With the GT, though, I'm going to apply Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. Of course, from our perspective, Clarke's corollary to the razor can be invoked ("sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice").

Aside from the general incompetence that plagues every major government in Star Wars, the task force is being commanded by an FBI agent, not military officers, so I don't expect tactical brilliance.
    True, in SW it's often hard to tell if the 'good' government is failing to achieve anything because it's incompetent, inefficient, or secretly under the control of someone who wants it to fail in just the right way. Though I'm still leaning towards there being someone in the chain of command who wants the fighting to get worse; even an 'FBI' agent knows (or should know) that preventing crises such as famines should be a high priority for a peacekeeping force. Wide-scale food riots tend not to be peaceful, after all!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Is it possible to trace who placed the request to examine Wyn? (1d20+21)[35]

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Sounds like someone is (or someones are) trying to orchestrate the conflict for their own ends...
    Isn't that true for all conflicts?

On a serious note, though, I do agree that it looks like there's some faction other than Kalatar leadership that's up to dirty schemes - possibly inside the GT itself, as I'd wager that food riots would have been the perfect excuse for seizing control. Though, if I had to take a guess I'd say Inspector Torr is but a pawn.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, you still have plenty of time before your ic lives get busy again. Do you want to do anything? If not let me know and we can time skip.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it's lack of sleep, but I don't understand what Shyar is trying to say..
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-07-17 at 07:16 AM.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The first paragraph is responding to Adu, the second to Hoks.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot to ask, what did you think of the last combat on Yaris?
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

It seemed fairly well done as such things go. (Even with the best will and GM in the world, PBP combat is a slow, drawn-out affair. In this case, something like 6 months from planning to combat end.)

Wasn't terribly fun for me, but then that's been pretty consistent for Wyn in combat in this game. Throwing a character built to push individuals down the condition track against countless hordes isn't exactly playing to their strengths... Y'can add that one to the list of reasons I'm not too fussed if Wyn stays dead. Gives me an excuse to switch to a party role I enjoy more (and/or will get more use out of)

Honestly, if Jezika and M2-HB hadn't been proposed before I was ready with Wyn (I think, recruitment was a long time ago, even for me!), I would have gone for one of their niches (Face / Heavy Weapons) instead of trying out a sniper build. (Or submitted someone like Eve to be able to cover both.)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

At least you got to shoot somebody. *Looks at martial arts feats, and sobs*

But no, it was fine. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2018-07-18 at 10:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Stuff you guys want to do (after this job is over one way or the other).

Hyperbolic, I know you want to go after that asteroid the Sith are using and co-opt it as a base of operations. The opportunity to do just that is worked into the story.

Any other large scale long-term stuff you guys want to do? Directions you want to move in?
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    I forgot to ask, what did you think of the last combat on Yaris?
    I found it enjoyable and suitably epic, although the need for extensive planning killed the momentum somewhat (but that's just how PbP is *shrug*).

Hyperbolic, I know you want to go after that asteroid the Sith are using and co-opt it as a base of operations. The opportunity to do just that is worked into the story.
    *Watery mouth*

As for other stuff, I can't think of anything specific right now...although if we do end up giving up on the A-wings, I believe the next step would be to quietly disappear and start over in a new sector.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-07-21 at 01:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Hyperbolic make six mechanics checks, one for each hour. After that you have to go get ready for your meeting.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(1d20+18)[37]
    (1d20+18)[22]
    (1d20+18)[31]
    (1d20+18)[37]
    (1d20+18)[29]
    (1d20+18)[32]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I can't speak for these two, but the reason I've been so listless for this plot arc is because I don't have anything to work with, because you've never told us anything.

My "favorite" moment sadly evades my search attempts right now. The gist was, Wyn went to watch the fighters take off so we could get the procedures they used. The response included this gem:

The party has seen the procedures used by the A-wings on takeoff.
    Well that's fantastic. NOW WHAT THE **** ARE THEY SO I CAN FIGURE OUT SOME WAY TO SUBVERT THEM?

I've got zilch to go on. I feel like it's an extended exercise in breaking out of a featureless 10x10 chamber.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

The right time to raise your concern or need for more information was probably within 48 hours of when it went up. Not within 48 weeks.

You will be getting a clear path to the a-wings now, with the ďthrow Marek off Wynís trailĒ chapter skipped.

In the future, if youíre not happy with a response from me, or thereís a specific reason youíre asking for stuff and Iím not giving you what you need, please spell it out.

I am extremely busy with two young children and a very demanding new job, but I still try to post daily. Unfortunately, that means sometimes deeper meanings and nuance are lost when Iím reading.

If you want to know why youíve gone through all these hoops before getting a shot at the targets, Iíll be happy to go through it with you in detail.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I think this was the exchange in question:
    Wyn gets shut down when she asks about flying the fighters, but she's able to get access to the sims fairly easily; she doesn't even have to try very hard.

Getting into the control tower could prove a bit tougher, as only members of the GT with clearance are allowed in.

What's everyone else doing for the next 8 hours?
    Wyn won't need the control tower for now; Just getting to watch the squadron in the sims will be enough.

Once she's done with the sims, she'll be able to return to the group with a recording of how to launch the fighters; and of the typical interaction between the pilots and the control tower during launch. Which is what she was after, after all.
    But the protesters attacking the base cut us off before Wyn could show the recordings to the others... and I'll be honest, I'd quite forgotten Wyn had that recording by the next point she had some free time to play with.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yeah, that's the one.

You're not wrong about my timing, but it didn't "click" until last night.

Remind me where we were supposed to bring the fighters? With the GT trying to lock down the whole sector now, I forsee problems trying to bring them anywhere near civilized space.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's the one.

You're not wrong about my timing, but it didn't "click" until last night.

Remind me where we were supposed to bring the fighters? With the GT trying to lock down the whole sector now, I forsee problems trying to bring them anywhere near civilized space.
    Itís a random point out in deep space (on he outer rim, far, far away from the muiridon / Kalatar conflict) for which you have the coordinates and can program them into the a-wings, not particularly important exactly where.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-07-25 at 07:33 PM.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Plus if you only get one a-wing, thereís no profit in it for you.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I didn't know there was any profit for more than one A-wing. I thought they went to the Syndicate.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know there was any profit for more than one A-wing. I thought they went to the Syndicate.
    Wizbamís fee is one a-Wing, the rest gets split. Something we could have hammered out before the job started but your reward will be based on how many a-wings you secure, from the higher ups getting annoyed that you didnít get any aside from what is owed to wizbam, to, say, eventual control over a large number of organized criminal organizations across the sector and the resources that come with that for all 6.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-07-30 at 08:28 PM.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

...I'd be intrigued to know how they were going to steal 6 ships with only 2 people left on the team, but hey, I guess if you want control of the criminal underworld you have to be able to solve these sorts of problems

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

...I'd be intrigued to know how they were going to steal 6 ships with only 2 people left on the team, but hey, I guess if you want control of the criminal underworld you have to be able to solve these sorts of problems
    They would have to either get people to help them, or program the ships and droids to take off and jump on their own, or load the ships into a storage container maybe and then commandeer a heavy lifter to take the container.

Or some other solution I havenít thought of.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-07-31 at 07:19 AM.
    TC for short