The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm OOC Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Did White ask Shyar to attack a ship that just blew up? Sure looks like it.

Unless the bolded it is supposed to mean the wing and not the fighter, which was not my first reading of the sentence.

TIE Advanced are still armed with blasters, not lasers, and only two of them.

It's a bit late, but I'd like to designate one of the YTs as my prime target, on the off chance I ever get to fire at one.
    To clarify, White is asking you to target the damaged fighter the gunboats attacked (sporting the flaming vapor trail); it was a natural 20 that didnít quite finish it off.
    She destroyed the one she was attacking.

Do you get to redesignate a prime target after one is destroyed?

Tie advanced have 4 laser cannons, I donít care what the book says :). Iím adding this to the house rules.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-08-26 at 10:21 AM.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Oh. OK then. Glad I cleared that up.

Changing your prime target requires the Keep It Going talent, which I don't have. Which is why I didn't even bother in the last fight, what with the enemy being a horde of one-shotable mooks.

Any other changes I should know about? I've been using the Advanced X1 stats from Starships. Never mind, read OP.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2018-08-26 at 10:40 AM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, Iím working on the next phase of this game.

Check out post #2.

The way I envision this working is you guys will (unless you royally mess up from this point) gain control over what is effectively a business. Itís an illegal business, but itís a business nonetheless. Youíre going to have X number of credits starting out and a few people within the syndicate organization you can give orders to. The idea is to make good decisions and grow the business, while dealing with setbacks (ie the GT seizes one of your weapons shipments).

The way Iím thinking the income and expenses works, is you will have several lines of business (smuggling, bounty hunting, heists, etc) and they would have a base (like 1d4, or 1d8 or whatever) and a multiplier (like x100, or x500). You get this amount in new credits every month.

Expenses works as a % of asset sale price. This will be pretty fixed, and if you donít have cash to cover, youíll have to go into debt and incur interest.

You can spend credits to improve your income by increasing the base or the multiplier. You can also just spend credits on your own stuff but if you donít grow the business the Syndicate will eventually take action. Likewise if you take an asset off producing income (like if you want to use one of your ships for a job, for example), your income drops for that month.

Of course there will be the usual Star Warsy hininks around all this, and we need to settle on the exact values. Thoughts so far?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-08-27 at 09:22 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The concept seems workable enough. The implementation needs some attention. I'd recommend multiple dice to curve out the results, and also allow a smaller multiplier to produce similar results. Letting one side get way larger than the other will see disproportionate returns from improvements. Unless that's intentional and factored into the pricing.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

The concept seems workable enough. The implementation needs some attention. I'd recommend multiple dice to curve out the results, and also allow a smaller multiplier to produce similar results. Letting one side get way larger than the other will see disproportionate returns from improvements. Unless that's intentional and factored into the pricing.
    Yeah, it definitely canít be left on itís own. It needs a heavy hand of god to keep things from spiraling. Preferably (almost definitely, unless I screw up badly) these happen in the form of ig events. Iím also thinking of a random event table that has effects too, and options for you guys to protect one line of business or other from negative events.

The general idea is the adventures you guys go on have permanent effects, and most of the ig time is timeskip and you go do exciting things once a month or something.
    TC for short

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What's the range to the remaining YT? And is it the one I marked as my primary target?

And because Shyar's going to want bragging rights later, what's the Imperial/GT's policy for awarding victories when multiple pilots get involved on the same kill? If you want me to help you, I can't really, since I've found no canon evidence for this. And IRL you have almost as many systems as air forces. The Armee de l'Air awarded a full kill to every pilot involved, which is dumb but hey, it's the French. We're talking hypotheticals here. The British and Americans split the full kill amongst every participating pilot. Whereas the Luftwaffe was playing on Hard Mode, with a strict "one pilot, one victory" rule. If two or more pilots shot a plane down, they had to sort out among themselves who got the credit. If they didn't it went to the squadron as a whole.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

12 squares.

1 it is your primary target: (1d2)[1]

Iím going to say there are three main metrics on assigning credit for combat victories for destroyed enemies:
    Scored a hit dealing material damage (over 30% of max hp). (Assist)
    Last shot fired before destruction (kill shot)
    Most damage inflicted - over 70% (primary kill).

The one I can see mattering most is the primary kills stat.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-08-27 at 10:25 PM.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That was an entertaining diversion. I'm just glad everyone who came after Shyar rolled even worse than I did.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

That was an entertaining diversion. I'm just glad everyone who came after Shyar rolled even worse than I did.
    The GT rollled very well and the drones not so much.

I have also come to the conclusion that there are a lot of rolls in space combat. Tw dozen ships, dogfighting, attacking, damage, vehicular combat, pilot checks to increase speed, pilot checks for pulling people into dogfights as they pass. Just a lot of bookkeeping.

Edit: I need to know how you guys intend to tackle the a-wig theft to move forward.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-08-28 at 10:11 PM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'd say the "two dozen" was your biggest problem. The dogfighting and AoOs are your next biggest contributor, because the very short ranges make AoOs happen more. Withdrawing is still easy, though, and dogfighting is very niche tactic. VC isn't much different from having a Jedi around throwing down Block/Deflect/defensive Force powers.

Waiting for the A-wings to cycle around to Shyar is a mistake, especially since we plan to kill the pilots.

I assume squadron leaders get sent mission briefings early. Shyar can presumably snoop on Grif's briefings when she spends the night, and that'll tell us when we can strike. We want the A-wings to go somewhere isolated. Start and end points will be included, which tells us where the Vigilance will be so we can make good our escape via decompression. I feel we should include another sabotage to provide an incident we have no direct connect connection to in order throw off suspicion and satisfy the dramatic rule of three, but I'm blanking on specifics. Hidden thermal detonator?

We should also have Gial's A-wing hijacking virus leave a message on the A-wings that tells about our escape plan and where we landed (at least down to the planet) so the Syndicate can come pick us up.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

FYI Youíre supposed to deliver them to a preset location in the middle of nowhere. Wizbamís mole(s) in the GT will inform them when theyíre away if youíre not around to tell them. This is fine as you can program the hyperspace destination.

Killing the pilots will work, but you canít eject them, because that will also eject the cockpit, which is highly customized and the ships arenít pilotable without them. If you want to do it this way, you will need to do three things:
    1. Override the a-wing internal safety software to open the cockpit in space.
    2. Reprogram the astromechs droids to allow them to let the a-wings open the cockpit canopy in space. This will be very difficult as part of astromechs droidsí core programming is to protect their pilots.
    3. Reprogram the astromech droids to jump the a-wings to hyperspace.

Potential problems: if even one astromech droid gets switched out, or resists the malicious programming Gial puts together, the pilot inside the a-wing wonít be spaced. He will be able to communicate whatís going on, and he might scuttle the other ships if he realizes theyíre about to be captured.

Itís also totally evil and youíre going to pick up dark side points for murdering people for financial gain. If the GT figures out this was a heist job, the heat will be significantly more if there are a bunch of dead decorated pilots along with the loss of valuable spacecraft. Curious why you are gravitating to the killing pilots plan rather than any of the others.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That's why I don't want to space the pilots, I want to disable the inertial compensator and use g-forces to do it. That and the pilots wear their own friggin' air supply.

I still don't really know anything about how the A-wings are stored or guarded on the Vigilance, so I don't really have any idea how to make a move on the destroyer. That and if things start going screwy, the entire task force will certainly attempt to pursue and recapture them.

Letting the A-wings fly out away from home base and then letting the computers take over puts the most distance, in both space and time, between us and the deed. They may not realize they're missing for hours, which opens up the window for us to make our own escape.

Of course, to do that, you have to neutralize those pesky pilots before they screw things up. And since we can't eject them...

We're already looking at espionage and arguably state treason if we get caught. You can't be executed more than once, not counting Lemelisk.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So what are we waiting on?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

So what are we waiting on?
    Decision on whether to kill the pilots or try to steal the a-wings from the Vigilant via astromech. And under whose (which flight leader) turn with the a-wings youíre going to pull the trigger.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

How, though? Not only would we have to get the ships turned on and the astromechs in place, but then we'd have to get them taken up the elevator to the flight deck. Without anybody noticing. Possibly six times. How many fit on the elevator at once?

How many astromechs do they have on the Vigilance? None of the other fighters use them, and it seems like you wouldn't want the droids for your fighters far from the fighters at any time. Nothing worse than needing to scramble all fighters only to find find out R2-W8 is AWOL investigating the sudden shut of the forward trash compactor.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

The vigilant doesnít normally carry the a-wings, itís a live test run of the prototypes. While none of their regular craft carry astromechs, the droids are used aboard the ship for repairs and reprogramming etc, and yes, the astromech maintenance is adjacent to the hangar. There are dozens of astromech droids, enough that itís fairly common to see them wandering the corridors.

All six a-wings can fit on the platform, and they are loaded and unloaded by ceiling clamps, which can be operated manually or by computer.

Based on what youíve seen and been able to learn over the few weeks, youíll need to get a message sent from a flight leaderís address to the deck officer, informing them of a mission, and they will clear the a-wings for launch. Then youíll need some kind of distraction in the hangar to keep his attention off the a-wings, as theyíll be taking off unpiloted. The astromechs can make their own way into the lab and handle everything, assuming nobody is there. If you can spoof Loaspunís datapad or gain control of it somehow, then pilotless a-wings wonít be an issue.

Alternatively, you can reprogram the astromechs to kill their pilots while on mission and then hyper to preset coordinates. The programming job will be much harder in this case and thereís a real chance it wonít take.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-09-04 at 12:28 AM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, moving this forward ASAP as itís dragged just way too long.
    Hyperbolic, you still with us?

You have two routes:

1. Kill the pilots and steal the a-wings by reprogramming the astromechs: Gial makes 6 dc30 use computer checks, with one extra reroll due to gialís expertise with the a-wing systems. Each success translates to one stolen a-wing.

2. Steal the a-wings from the Vigilant:
    A dc 25 deception check vs the deck officer for the distraction, bonus points for originality of the distraction. Dc 30 for 2 a-wings.
    A stealth check dc 20 to set up the mission in the first place. Dc25 for 2 a-wings.
    A time limited combat with Jan lashowe who confronts both of you with her suspicions about what Gial is up to. Starting with 2 a-wings and each round after the first is worth -1 a-wing.

Each a-wing you get will give you control over a line of business. The only one you must take is heist.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-09-07 at 10:46 PM.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

We can take 10, right?

I still want to do it remotely, because it allows more time to pass between the theft and discovery, which in turn extends our window to make our own escape. Like the hill battle, I'm coming down on the side that maximizes our chance of survival, not success.

Then there's the non-trivial matter of Cronau signatures. Stealing the fighters out of the hangar will give a highly motivated task force a nice big bread crumb trail to follow. Somehow, I think "We stole them, you didn't pick them up in time" will go over well.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

No taking 10 but you can assist and use force points. You also have to let me know which flight leader youíre planning to bump off.

Gial has a 21 skill modifier so that means with an assist from Shyar, a 7 or better will do it, and youíve got one reroll so you should be able to get a bunch but probably not all.

Oh, I also need to know if youíre going to let the bodyguards and Yaris soldiers out of jail.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-09-08 at 01:45 AM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    Nothing that would completely prevent me from posting for an exceedingly long period of time
    Boy, was I wrong...

I humbly apologise. I'll try to catch up and post something by tomorrow.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Like I said earlier, I assume we can get the best intel when they're under Urford's command. And it helps with the whole "get out quick" thing.

When you say let them out, do you mean jailbreaking, or just dropping the charges?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said earlier, I assume we can get the best intel when they're under Urford's command. And it helps with the whole "get out quick" thing.

When you say let them out, do you mean jailbreaking, or just dropping the charges?
    Just dropping the charges.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yeah, that we can do.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alright, I'm up to date with everything.

I do agree that have the actual heist happen while the A-wings are already out in space gives us the best chances of getting out of the Vigilant. I feel sorry for the pilots, but, eh. Collateral damage happens. Also, better to indirectly kill Starfighter Pilot A than potentially having to personally kill Jan. Gial isn't a sociopath.

Could Gial also infect all the astromechs with a second virus that just makes them disable the A-wings' comms? Just in case one gets switched at the last moment or the main virus doesn't take hold, so the surviving pilot(s) can't just call for reinforcements and follow the stolen starfighters.

We also need an escape plan. Perhaps we can use the 'prisoners'? They will need a ride back on Yaris, I think.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I came up with an idea upthread where we essentially space ourselves.

EDIT: How close is the ship passing to habitable planets? We could organize some kind of system glitch that open the arirlocks and randomly ejects some escape pods, spacing a portion of the ship. If we secret ourselves in one of the pods beforehand, we can crash on the nearest planet, torch the pod, and either call up the Syndicate or figure out our own way back home.
    Any escape plan will ideally list us as "missing". If we just jump on a ship and leave, then we're listed as deserters, and suspect when the A-wings go missing. Even if we use disguises, roll call will sniff us out. While faking bodies is almost certainly beyond our means. The military is extremely good at positively IDing mutilated corpses.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

I came up with an idea upthread where we essentially space ourselves.

Any escape plan will ideally list us as "missing". If we just jump on a ship and leave, then we're listed as deserters, and suspect when the A-wings go missing. Even if we use disguises, roll call will sniff us out. While faking bodies is almost certainly beyond our means. The military is extremely good at positively IDing mutilated corpses.
    Wizbamís mole can get you out the same way they got you in, request from the galactic alliance. We can say you know this ic because thatís how the other characters (who dropped from the game) got out.

Edit: so Iíve been thinking about the business aspect of the next phase of the game and I think Iím overcomplicating it. Iím pondering repurposing the affiliation rules from 3.5. Any thoughts on this? Theyíre in phb2.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-09-09 at 09:02 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I don't have PHB2. Doesn't it depend on skill checks? Because Saga makes picking up new skills rather difficult.

IIRC it boils down to skill check x something GP per month. When you consider Saga characters level all skills up equally, that's essentially what you have going on. If you want, you could homebrew feats and/or talents that improve the rolls so characters can specialize in running the business without having to invest in it.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Thereís a lot of leeway in how theyíre set up. Basically you get something called an affiliate score and depending on the organization you get a higher rank due to various aspects of your character or deeds youíve done. The higher your rank the more stuff you can leverage the organization for, but you also potentially have higher penalties on certain interactions or combat situations. You also have more responsibilities. Theyíre very customizable.

Iím trying to figure out how much crunch we want. I was more focusing on the ability to found your own affiliation and expand it. This is something we will have to work on together so itís fair and fun for everyone.

Also do we want to open recruitment and bring in more people or are you guys okay with two (possibly three if whoami returns) players?

Edit:
    After reading through it, seems we can strip most of it away.

I think what works best for us is to have an overall rank, and business line rank, which you can pay X amount of credits into and increase the rank. The overall rank caps your business line rank (i.e. if your overall rank is 8, you can 't have any lines of business over 8), and the business line rank caps the income you can earn from that business line. Then you guys assign assets to the business lines to generate revenue (we'll call both revenue and expenses some % of the value of the asset i.e. if you assign a ship with a value of 10k credits to smuggling, the expense of the ship is 20% of value and the revenue of the ship is 30% value and you make 1000 credits profit for the month). There will be some variability and you'll have options to protect certain assets or business lines from bad things happening.

I also want the ranks to mean something; right now I'm thinking situational bonuses when dealing with people who know who you are, or when trying to acquire items on the black market or track down a bounty or something, specific to the business line you have. Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-09-10 at 09:36 AM.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Would asset income count against rank cap?

With a flat percentage of asset value, assigning them to anything seems like superfluous bookkeeping. If the ship earns the same doing spice smuggling as it would for say extortion (no, I don't know how), what's the point?

I'm fine with 3 players. Two is a bit low.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

The categories are in a spoiler in the business section. There are 6 categories take a look and let me know if they make sense or if we want to change them up at all.

Iím going to be giving out temporary and permanent bonuses to business lines or assets, some random. And youíll have the ability to protect or enhance a business line for a month through ic actions. Plus like you mentioned some assets will be better suited to some lines than others.
    TC for short